Sam Gallagher - Joins Blackburn: Official

Sergei Gotsmanov

For Gallagher to be a success for us in the Prem, he'd need a run of games to get used to the league, style of play and the players around him. He won't get that if he doesn't perform straight away (in fact, based on MoPe's tendencies, he won't get it even if he does perform well). Therefore, he won't get used to the league and become a success. It'll be a pointless circle, IMO.

If he moves elsewhere, even to another Prem club, it'll be because they want him and are willing to play him, so he'll get the chance he needs to adapt and perform.

Sorry, but I don't get this type of post.

Why would he not get a run of games here, if we want him and are willing to play him? Why would any other club take a different view to us if he does well or, indeed, if he doesn't do well? There could hardly be a better example of a club which gives young players a chance.

Sorry, but I don't get this type of post.

Why would he not get a run of games here, if we want him and are willing to play him? Why would any other club take a different view to us if he does well or, indeed, if he doesn't do well? There could hardly be a better example of a club which gives young players a chance.

Why did we let him go out on loan again this season, after a successful loan spell before and having spent pre-season with us? He played a bit in pre-season, but then went straight back out on loan again.

Why did we not have, or exercise, the option or recalling him when we desperately needed a goal scorer? Sending him for a full season suggests we don't see him as a viable option.

He has done consistently well on loan and he's now at an age where he's no longer 'too young' and has played enough (over 80) games at a reasonable level, so has experience and time behind him.

Yet, we still don't play him and won't give him a run to prove himself. He would have still been taken by clubs on loan after 5 or so Prem games.

IMO, it's a consequence of the current era of football, where people don't get given a great deal of time to be a success.

Why did we let him go out on loan again this season, after a successful loan spell before and having spent pre-season with us? He played a bit in pre-season, but then went straight back out on loan again.

Why did we not have, or exercise, the option or recalling him when we desperately needed a goal scorer? Sending him for a full season suggests we don't see him as a viable option.

He has done consistently well on loan and he's now at an age where he's no longer 'too young' and has played enough (over 80) games at a reasonable level, so has experience and time behind him.

Yet, we still don't play him and won't give him a run to prove himself. He would have still been taken by clubs on loan after 5 or so Prem games.

IMO, it's a consequence of the current era of football, where people don't get given a great deal of time to be a success.

Why didn't we just sell him then?

Why did we give him a new contract?

Why have we told Birmingham (reportedly) that he isn't for sale?

I suspect because the coaches felt another season toughening up in the Championship, actually playing regularly at a relatively high level, was the best thing for him at this stage. Much better than sitting on our bench, or in the U23s week in week out. It currently looks like its going pretty well for him, and eventually, for us I hope.

• 4 weeks later...
Let's not pretend Gallagher couldn't have done what Carrillo has, or bettered Long this season if given a chance.

Considering some think the club are all about saving money, seems very, very odd they loan out Gallagher and keep more expensive players, then spend fortunes on new alternatives. Same way we sign Clasie and Redmond rather than giving Reed, Sims, McQueen, Hesketh games.

I almost wish they would give youngsters more games and think twice about some of the signings.

In hindsight that's a great thing to say. Might as well not have signed mane because we have sims. Both clasie and Redmond had a lot of potential when they signed for us. I'd also like to point out that Redmond may have had a poor season but towards the end of last season was playing some excellent football.

Let's not pretend Gallagher couldn't have done what Carrillo has, or bettered Long this season if given a chance.

Considering some think the club are all about saving money, seems very, very odd they loan out Gallagher and keep more expensive players, then spend fortunes on new alternatives. Same way we sign Clasie and Redmond rather than giving Reed, Sims, McQueen, Hesketh games.

I almost wish they would give youngsters more games and think twice about some of the signings.

Carrillo and Gallagher is different to the other examples as Clasie and Redmond both looked superior on paper at least than anyone in our youth team. I think if we'd replaced Schneiderlin with Reed, there would be a public lynching of Les.

• 3 months later...

I think he can be a useful asset for us. 6' 4" and mobile, he can bring something different to the party - mostly off the bench.

I'd rather we invested in Gallagher's development than kept flogging the useless Shane Long horse to death. He's never been a good striker, never will be.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I think he can be a useful asset for us. 6' 4" and mobile, he can bring something different to the party - mostly off the bench.

I'd rather we invested in Gallagher's development than kept flogging the useless Shane Long horse to death. He's never been a good striker, never will be.

Gallagher hasn't really excelled at championship level, why would he be able to make a step up when many great championship scorers have failed before him?

Also bit harsh on Long..... He scored 17 in Koemans last season! Problem has been more the managers we've suffered since

Gallagher hasn't really excelled at championship level, why would he be able to make a step up when many great championship scorers have failed before him?

Also bit harsh on Long..... He scored 17 in Koemans last season! Problem has been more the managers we've suffered since

Should have been done last season. We've held back his development now. He's got talent but 2 of his loan moves have been poor. Wrong move at the wrong time and decent players careers can just fail to recover. Thought he needed to be here getting chances and get some confidence last season. Now it could be years before he gets a premier league chance.

Does seem odd when people write him off but then we end up with a group of more expensive strikers who can't hit a barn door.

Why not loan him to a premier league team as Chelsea do with their young players? If he’s good enough a newly promoted team surely would give him some much needed top level experience?

Why not loan him to a premier league team as Chelsea do with their young players? If he’s good enough a newly promoted team surely would give him some much needed top level experience?

That would surely depend on a PL club wanting him?

Exhibit 1, Harry Kane.

Leyton Orient (loan) 2010–11[177] League One 18 5

Millwall (loan) 2011–12[178] Championship 27 9

Norwich City (loan) 2012–13[179] Premier League 5 0

Leicester City (loan) 2012–13[179] Championship 15 2

Exhibit 1, Harry Kane.

Leyton Orient (loan) 2010–11[177] League One 18 5

Millwall (loan) 2011–12[178] Championship 27 9

Norwich City (loan) 2012–13[179] Premier League 5 0

Leicester City (loan) 2012–13[179] Championship 15 2

Problem is Kane was just 17,18,19 during those loans. Gallagher is 23 in a few weeks.

Not saying it's impossible, just hasn't really excelled at lower level yet

He has pace and is good in the air too, two attributes we're a bit short of right now.

Mary Poppins was good in the Air but like Sam I don't think there is any evidence that either of them at the moment would make a PL striker but who knows

• 2 weeks later...
Sheffield United are heavily interested in signing Southampton striker Sam Gallagher, according to Alan Nixon, a journalist for the Sun.

The 21-year-old spent last season on loan at Birmingham City and impressed with the limited game time he got from the bench, scoring six goals.

Chris Wilder will be keen to build on his side’s performance last season as they pushed admirably for the play-offs on their first season back in the Championship.

Signing a striker to take the responsibility away from Leon Clarke who scored 19 goals last season for the Blades.

Writing on Twitter, Nixon said: “Sheff U. Deffo keen on Sam Gallagher. But that’s an expensive deal…even on loan.”

It is not clear yet whether Wilder wants bring Gallagher in on a loan or on a permanent deal.

The 21-year-old came through the youth ranks at Plymouth Argyle and then at Southampton, before enjoying loan spells at MK Dons, Blackburn Rovers and Birmingham.

Source: https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/journalist-gives-exciting-update-on-sheffield-united-target/

(I'm sure selling Brooks for £12m will help their finances.)

It's a shame when a promising teenager doesn't carry on to make the highest level but if Sheffield United want him, perhaps Sam has developed more than some of us have thought. If Sheffield United are prepared to pay money for him, he can't be far away, but not having seen him play since his time with Birmingham, not sure how we fans can tell. He will be 23 in September so if he is going to be a Premier League player, he probably should be at the level by now and we must assume the coaches have made their assessment. We'll know what it is when we see if the club lets him go or whether he's given a place in the squad.

Carillo is offski, so use Gallagher this season. If he doesn't make the grade, then look to sell next year. But don't sell without giving him his chance, please.

I think this summarises my view too. I think he's had a couple of growth spurts, once when he was on loan and not sure how that (or his family issue) impacted on him, but he's got the speed and height, even if not quite the touch. He's the sort of player who given a decent delivery would score headers against our full backs. :-)

I think this summarises my view too. I think he's had a couple of growth spurts, once when he was on loan and not sure how that (or his family issue) impacted on him, but he's got the speed and height, even if not quite the touch. He's the sort of player who given a decent delivery would score headers against our full backs. :-)

Gallagher was about the 25th best striker in the Championship last season. Why anyone thinks he would do well for us in the PL is beyond me.

Gallagher was about the 25th best striker in the Championship last season. Why anyone thinks he would do well for us in the PL is beyond me.

Yep. Imagine the furore on here is was a Birmingham player and we were interested in buying him? I like the fact that we give players time to develop, but at 23 I fear it aint going to happen for him (or Reed).

He can't do much worse than Carrillo or Long.

Personally I'd have him as third choice behind Austin and Gabii, as our plan B option. At least give him a chance in to show what he can do I reckon.

People need to remember he had loan spells at two clubs that were crap and not very settled. Did not both Blackburn and Brum change their managers whilst he was there? and I think he was not always played up front or always started.

...I think he was not always played up front or always started.

Experienced managers felt that he wasn't good enough to start, or play up front, in a struggling championship team but people think he's good enough for us in the prem. I must be missing something.

I'm with tajjuk on this. Anybody who has had the chance to play alongside better players than them will know it makes them play better. As he's homegrown does he count in our squad? Give him an opportunity and then sell in January if the management don't think he'll make it.

Experienced managers felt that he wasn't good enough to start, or play up front, in a struggling championship team but people think he's good enough for us in the prem. I must be missing something.

What like Redknapp?

Brum had 3 managers last year, not exactly a good environment for a young player trying to establish himself and despite that he was still their top goalscorer in the league even if was a lowly 6 goals.

I mean he's gone on loan to one club that got relegated from the Championship and another that nearly got relegated and has had 5 managers in just 15 months, hardly a stable environment.

I'd just like to see him being given a chance in a more favourable environment not a crap teams that were likely on the back foot most of the time and were in turmoil. I am not saying he should be our starting striker but I can't see how he'll do much worse than Long or Carrillo.

Get shot.

Ditto Long.

Ditto Carillo.

Forward line badly in need of shaking up.

That's harsh. We've brought in expensive imports and paid them a fortune yet overlooked our 'young gun' who is free and cheap to run. Unless Mbappe is available for £20M and would take £50k pw, we are stuck with what we have as they are all on contracts with us.

If only he had slotted that chance home that night v Arsenal, how different things might have been.

considering we were prepared to pIśš £20m up the wall on someone hardly getting a game in a lesser league than the Premier League and not having a sparkling strike rate, it’s not going to cost anything to give him a spin, since Pelle left we have had no height options to hit in the box, yes Shane Long has a good leap in him but our defenders gave a better goal return than him.

Like others have said he has had 2 seasons out on loan with 2 basket case clubs, give him some proper service and the doubters might be surprised. Big lad like him in the box is going to draw the attention of the defenders and likely to give the players with a little more finesse that split second extra to make an impact.

Anyway he is out in China, Sparky and his boys are no doubt getting a good look at him if they deem a loan is needed again, then probably best for Sam to get a bit more permanency in his life.

Gallagher to Sheffield United when we sign Ings from Liverpool according to reports...

I'd keep Gallagher as 4th choice personally but there we go...

Get rid of a promising young striker to bring in one whose best days are probably over (due to two ACL injuries in two years) - doesn't sound like a great plan to me.