Sam Gallagher - Joins Blackburn: Official

Sergei Gotsmanov

Some of the muppets that can’t take any criticism of our own players are just as bad.

I would say that is a little harsh. He has pace, strength, skill and finishing ability... but none of us know to what degree until we see him play with good players in the Premier League. It could be that he proves to be not good enough, but certainly I don’t think it is an accurate way to judge him based on stats from playing in two poor teams in the Championship. Better players should in theory get more out of him. I’d like to see him given a year training with our first team, playing every day with Premier League players. If he can’t make an impact on the first team in that time, then yes... he should be allowed to get on with his career elsewhere. He certainly has the raw materials that make up a good Premier League striker so I hope Mark Hughes has seen enough to think he can improve him.

Anyone who thinks Gallagher is the answer really doesn't know much about football.

That said, I'd be delighted if he proved me wrong, but he won't.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he is the answer to all our striker problems but are people really suggesting he couldn't be an upgrade on Shane Long and his two league goals in two seasons? I'd happily see Long shipped out and Gallagher given a chance as our third choice/impact sub/ league cup games striker instead to see what he can do.

Edited by doddisalegend

Hughes is probably evaluating all his striker options one-by-one in the run up to the new season and before the TW closes. Quite likely the question to be answered for each player is keep for squad or sell. In SGG's case where he has been out on loan more than once already, it is likely that Hughes and his team will either be impressed enough to keep him as a bench player or he will be shipped out. There will be no point in a further loan spell, we will get the best price we can from whoever comes sniffing around.

There must be a worry for the club in deciding what to do with players like SGG who have not asked to leave but cannot break through here. What if we sell a player who then turns out to be a real nugget at another club with a different ethos and coaching/training methods? I suppose a sell-on clause might offset those worries to some extent. What militates against this line of thought is that young future stars like Shearer, Bale, Walcott and even Lallana made an immediate impact in our first team which Gallagher has not done.

Harry Kane

10/11 - Leyton Orient (League 1) - 18 games, 5 goals. - aged 18

11/12 - Millwall (Championship) - 22 games, 7 goals - aged 19

12/13 - Norwich (Premier League) - 3 games, 0 goals - aged 20

12/13 - Leicester City (Championship) - 13 games, 2 goals - aged 21

Goals per game in = 14/56 = 0.25

14/15 - Tottenham (Premier League) - 10 games, 3 goals - aged 22

15/16 - Tottenham (Premier League) - 34 games, 21 goals

Samuel Gallagher.

13/14 - Southampton (Prem) - 18 games, 1 goal - aged 17/18.

15/16 - MK Dons (Championship) - 13 games, 0 goals (Relegated) - aged 19/20

16/17 - Blackburn (Championship) - 43games, 11 goals (Relegated) - aged 20/21 - very comparable to Kane's Millwall season in terms of goals per game.

17/18 - Birmingham (Championship) - 33 games, 6 goals (Relegation scrap) - aged 21/22 - this is very comparable to Kane's Leicester season, but SGC was playing for a far worse side and being played out of position.

Goals per game 18/107 = 0.17. - but distorted by SG's early saints games in the prem (at a young age) and his loan into a very poor MK dons side, also at a young age.

Gallagher has had a serious injury and personal issues, plus he has played for worse sides. Despite that, his record is not significantly worse than Kane's, especially considering that Kane is regarded as one of the worlds best CF's.

SG's goals per game at Blackburn and Birmingham is .224.

The kid is worth a shot in the team.

FYI -

Shane Long (for years 14/15 + 15/16 + 16/17 + 17/18 )

20goals in 122 league games. (0.164 per game).

And I like long!

Edited by Saint86

Harry Kane

10/11 - Leyton Orient (League 1) - 18 games, 5 goals. - aged 18

11/12 - Millwall (Championship) - 22 games, 7 goals - aged 19

12/13 - Norwich (Premier League) - 3 games, 0 goals - aged 20

12/13 - Leicester City (Championship) - 13 games, 2 goals - aged 21

Goals per game in = 14/56 = 0.25

14/15 - Tottenham (Premier League) - 10 games, 3 goals - aged 22

15/16 - Tottenham (Premier League) - 34 games, 21 goals

Samuel Gallagher.

13/14 - Southampton (Prem) - 18 games, 1 goal - aged 17/18.

15/16 - MK Dons (Championship) - 13 games, 0 goals (Relegated) - aged 19/20

16/17 - Blackburn (Championship) - 43games, 11 goals (Relegated) - aged 20/21 - very comparable to Kane's Millwall season in terms of goals per game.

17/18 - Birmingham (Championship) - 33 games, 6 goals (Relegation scrap) - aged 21/22 - this is very comparable to Kane's Leicester season, but SGC was playing for a far worse side and being played out of position.

Goals per game 18/107 = 0.17. - but distorted by SG's early saints games in the prem (at a young age) and his loan into a very poor MK dons side, also at a young age.

Gallagher has had a serious injury and personal issues, plus he has played for worse sides. Despite that, his record is not significantly worse than Kane's, especially considering that Kane is regarded as one of the worlds best CF's.

SG's goals per game at Blackburn and Birmingham is .224.

The kid is worth a shot in the team.

FYI -

Shane Long (for years 14/15 + 15/16 + 16/17 + 17/18 )

20goals in 122 league games. (0.164 per game).

And I like long!

Very interesting thank you. I remember Fonte saying a few years back how much they rated him.

Should also be noted that his two championship seasons have been in relegation threatened teams who went through multiple managers. Hardly an easy situation to play well in, IIRC he was top goalscorer for both Blackburn and Brum, which shows how poor those teams were.

When he got a run in the team, he generally scored goals.

IMO he's got an eye for a goal, he's got the physicality and he is decently mobile as well for his size. All attributes that given a run and some confidence could see him do well.

If we don't give him that run and they are thinking of loaning him, they should make sure it's on loan to a Championship club that is going to challenge for promotion.

They should be giving him an extended run in the side in pre-season to see if he has what it takes. Playing with better players he should get more opportunities to shine. He has all the attributes to be what we need, quick and big, can be the focal point of the attack that players can play off. But also mobile to get in behind when needed.

It is amazing how opinions on one player can differ so much.

I believe that Sam could make it as a decent target man and with a couple of nippy runners in midfield he may well be a good alternative to what we already have.

Long has long passed his Saints career and should be let go with a thank for his 100% effort in every game. Let him find his final payday.

Sam definatley deserves a chance to stake a claim. He has got all the attributes required to play at the highest level - power, pace and the physicality. The goal that he scored in the 2nd game in China highlights part of that.

Still remember the goal vs Blackburn

The truth is we just don't know if he has got it in the PL unless we give him a chance. If he get 6-8 goals he'd be a massive upgrade on Long.

This is what I think too. If the pathway from academy to first team means anything then we have to give the likes of Gallagher the opportunity, now he’s done his loan moves, to show what he can do. And don’t get on his back should it not go perfectly from day one.

The truth is we just don't know if he has got it in the PL unless we give him a chance. If he get 6-8 goals he'd be a massive upgrade on Long.

Surely he has played for us on occasions in the PL before he went out on those loans? I do not recall that he played poorly.

Surely he has played for us on occasions in the PL before he went out on those loans? I do not recall that he played poorly.

He looked like he wasn’t ready. I think Rickie got injured at the back end of one season, which gave Gallagher a clear run of about 8 games to make his mark, but he obviously didn’t grab his chance. Looked ok at times but if I recall he dropped to the bench after 2 or 3 games and wasn’t seen again. He was very young though, and I think it was in the immediate aftermath of his dad passing away.

We've got a really low bar when it comes to strikers now. This is why I don't get people unwilling to give him a chance. They look purely at stats and don't watch him play.

MK was a terrible move. Blackburn were in a mess, he was excellent, even playing a lot on the wing. Birmingham was a another poor move, under Redknapp, different managers and styles, positions, in and out the team.

Loans are difficult, always trying to settle elsewhere. They often go wrong. Gallagher doesn't need another loan, he needs to stay here and play or sign elsewhere for a few years.

He's become bigger, stronger and still fast. His finishing is pretty decent, good shot on him and good in the air. Yet we play Long as 1 goal in 60, we sign Carrillo based on nothing. We have two alright strikers, both of whom suffer with fitness and form.

All the names mentioned cost lots and wouldn't guarantee goals anyway. So just please, finally give Gallagher a chance. It's what the club is supposed to be about.

This

If he gets 1 goal he'd be a massive upgrade on Carrillo.:p:p:p

Ooh, beetchy! You could have added Long.. To the other things people have pointed out re family and chaotic loans you could also add that he had a couple of growth spurts in that time, which tends to mess about with fitness and coordination.

Anyway, we'll no doubt see him for a bit this afternoon and get an idea of where he is. Some players look the part from the beginning (Stevie Mills, Bale, Shaw etc.) but others take a little longer to get into their stride. Let's hope he's a late developer like Lambert.

We've been over rating "our own" for a long long time.

Amazes me that some think v.average in the championship = potentially great in the Premier league.

Not intentionally responding to your cast here Galsgow but Im not sure we all over rate our own, many of us see it as it is. After the disastrous waste of money of both Carillo and Boufal I think its worth looking at Gallagher, Sims, Hesketh, Valery before jumping into bed with another expensive risk

Theres nothing wrong with that, of course a lot can be taken from the training ground but some players need to be thrown into the deep end to see if they are the type to thrive

Gallagher - Looks the target man type we have needed since Pelle, obviously lacks the pedigree, his last PL outing was years ago and wasnt terrible, he just wasn’t ready

Sims - potentially the most overrated of those mentioned, is quick but lacks an efficient final ball or intelligence, likely deserving of some games off the bench

Hesketh - One of our brightest talents, maybe too lightweight but the game has some lightweight talents

Targett - Never let us down when he has played and looked good at a rampant Fulham side, obviously not on RBs level, however makes a more than adequate backup

Valery - Honourably mentioned as a talent in our youth sides, similar to Targett will be unlikely to oust Cedric, however should prove to be a more than capable understudy

Not intentionally responding to your cast here Galsgow but Im not sure we all over rate our own, many of us see it as it is. After the disastrous waste of money of both Carillo and Boufal I think its worth looking at Gallagher, Sims, Hesketh, Valery before jumping into bed with another expensive risk

Theres nothing wrong with that, of course a lot can be taken from the training ground but some players need to be thrown into the deep end to see if they are the type to thrive

Gallagher - Looks the target man type we have needed since Pelle, obviously lacks the pedigree, his last PL outing was years ago and wasnt terrible, he just wasn’t ready

Sims - potentially the most overrated of those mentioned, is quick but lacks an efficient final ball or intelligence, likely deserving of some games off the bench

Hesketh - One of our brightest talents, maybe too lightweight but the game has some lightweight talents

Targett - Never let us down when he has played and looked good at a rampant Fulham side, obviously not on RBs level, however makes a more than adequate backup

Valery - Honourably mentioned as a talent in our youth sides, similar to Targett will be unlikely to oust Cedric, however should prove to be a more than capable understudy

Decent summary.

I'm all for giving 'younger' players chances, but for me Sam had his chance on loan(s). He didn't excel at all in the lower league and he's 23 soon

Would be frustrating to start the season with Austin, Sam, Long and Gabbi. Toothless would sum it up, we'd be asking for more trouble

Put it another way, how would we feel if we'd signed Sam this summer from Birmingham? Underwhelming

Decent summary.

I'm all for giving 'younger' players chances, but for me Sam had his chance on loan(s). He didn't excel at all in the lower league and he's 23 soon

Would be frustrating to start the season with Austin, Sam, Long and Gabbi. Toothless would sum it up, we'd be asking for more trouble

Put it another way, how would we feel if we'd signed Sam this summer from Birmingham? Underwhelming

Probably as underwhelmed as we were when we sold top scorer Kevin Davies to Blackburn and got a young James Beattie in return?

Would rather that than when we sold a young Alan Shearer and got the established internationals Kerry Dixon and David speedie in return!

Give the lad a chance

To be fair we probably wouldn't have looked at Sam as he was last season but he did not really get to show his wares consistantly as an out and out striker.

That said he cannot be any worse than Carrillo or Long and looks a bigger stronger player now.

He deserves a chance to prove his worth.

Possibly being better than Long and Carrillo is not a reason to give Gallagher a chance.

Taking the cheap option (ala Stephens) cost us last season and if we haven't learnt our lessons then the management are more stupid than I thought

Probably as underwhelmed as we were when we sold top scorer Kevin Davies to Blackburn and got a young James Beattie in return?

Would rather that than when we sold a young Alan Shearer and got the established internationals Kerry Dixon and David speedie in return!

Give the lad a chance

What have random players from the 90s got to do with anything?

Aside from the fact that Beattie scored 5 goals in his first 2 years at Saints, a performance we can ill-afford given our current scoring form, his eventual good form is irrelevant to Gallagher. What about when we got rid of Rasiak and Stern John and gave a chance to Matt Patterson and Jamie White?

The Sun reckons that Stoke want Gallagher, and Saints want to use the funds from the sale of Gallagher to finance a bid for Ings...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6834928/stoke-city-southampton-sam-gallagher-gary-rowett/

Well that would certainly kill the old path way myth and would be a **** move. I'd rather they gave Gallagher a go than spunk money on Ings...

Well that would certainly kill the old path way myth and would be a **** move. I'd rather they gave Gallagher a go than spunk money on Ings...

How does 'giving him s go' suddenly make him good enough? I know someone on here did some statistical comparisons between him and Kane, but comparisons between him and our own Ryan Seager are more realistic.

How does 'giving him s go' suddenly make him good enough? I know someone on here did some statistical comparisons between him and Kane, but comparisons between him and our own Ryan Seager are more realistic.

How are we going to know if he is good enough without giving him a chance? Wasn't that what the club was supposed to be about giving our youngsters a chance. If we are just going to flog him and bring in an a sicknote with a ****e goal scoring record for 10 million it rather proves the academy/U23s pathway is just another pile of club bollix.

How are we going to know if he is good enough without giving him a chance? Wasn't that what the club was supposed to be about giving our youngsters a chance. If we are just going to flog him and bring in an a sicknote with a ****e goal scoring record for 10 million it rather proves the academy/U23s pathway is just another pile of club bollix.

He wasn't deemed worthy of a place up front at Birmingham, and was then dropped. If we'd signed him from Birmingham against that background we'd all be right in thinking that the club had gone nuts. Now we're nuts if we don't see if he can do at prem level what he couldn't do in a lower league. Nuts.

We've got a long season ahead and only room for 25 player. There's no room for sentiment imo.

He wasn't deemed worthy of a place up front at Birmingham, and was then dropped. If we'd signed him from Birmingham against that background we'd all be right in thinking that the club had gone nuts. Now we're nuts if we don't see if he can do at prem level what he couldn't do in a lower league. Nuts.

We've got a long season ahead and only room for 25 player. There's no room for sentiment imo.

but there is room for Danny ****ing Ings?

Not sure we have to conflate the two.

I don't want us to waste money on Ings.

I couldn't give a flying if Gallagher is sold to a Championship club as it is already pretty clear that is his level, and if we had announced a player with that record as a new signing this summer we'd all be non-plussed.

Not sure we have to conflate the two.

I don't want us to waste money on Ings.

I couldn't give a flying if Gallagher is sold to a Championship club as it is already pretty clear that is his level, and if we had announced a player with that record as a new signing this summer we'd all be non-plussed.

I'm only going on the story posted above suggesting we are selling Gallagher to bring in Ings if that's the case I'd rather keep Gallagher.