James Ward-Prowse for England? ...say that again ...

david in sweden

U21 manager Gareth Southgate has gone public with a comment that suggests that JWP is in line for an England call-up.

That's "a call-up "..not necessarily a full cap not yet anyway, but the fact that GS made the statement suggests that Roy H. has " approved " the comment.

A lot of people - not least a lot of our fans may question the selection of a player who isn't even a first team regular with Saints.

Whilst it's true to say that Prowsie has a lot more competition to get a midfield spot for saints, than an England one - it seems clear that Roy hasn't yet formulated his new midfield line-up for next summer, after the departures of Gerrard, Lampard & Co....(of course JWP is nowhere near the standard of those 100 cap legends).. but everyone has to start somewhere .... and looking at the other contenders for an England place - it's fair to say that - in a year or two.. he might be a likely choice.

If the " call-up " is indeed a possibility, his main contribution might only be to make up the numbers in training sessions, but at least this 20 year old getting his boots into an England dressing room does show a great deal of promise for him, and a good deal of faith (in his ability) from the England manager.

Edited by david in sweden

He's been namechecked by Hodgson already in the past so he is already on the radar. There are others ahead of him in the queue though' date=' however it's debatable whether or not someone with 5 appearances to his name in the Premier League should be one.[/quote']

Ultimately though when you watch Alli he is just better than JWP.

Which is not meant in a derogatory way, but in 100 games JWP hasn't shown he is good enough for England so can't expect to be picked at this stage.

Alli hasn't played much but if Hodgson thinks he is a better player than JWP then fair enough for being brave.

Ultimately though when you watch Alli he is just better than JWP.

Which is not meant in a derogatory way, but in 100 games JWP hasn't shown he is good enough for England so can't expect to be picked at this stage.

Alli hasn't played much but if Hodgson thinks he is a better player than JWP then fair enough for being brave.

Alli has a bigger frame and is quicker / more powerful. The start to his career in the Premier League has been very good but at the same time he is also making some very wreckless and dangerous challenges which shows that he still has a long way to go.

He is playing for a Manager that will give him every chance so it will be down to him, but had Spurs signed Wanyama...

TBF he is better than Ryan Mason and probably more deserving than Delli Alle. I could say the same about Jack Cork.

No doubt the world class midfield maestros of Henderson, Delph, Milner and Wilshere will lead us to glory next summer in any event so it's a moot point.

I just don't know why the ***** Saint Charlie bothers to support Saints when he's the source of everything negative written about our players. Wasn't so long back he was calling on the club to play Academy players and criticising any player over 25. Ward-Prowse has shown on many occasions he is more than capable of making the step up and playing with the best. He's 20 FFS and has played 100 senior team games, taken on any role requested of him by the managers. Besides he is the envy of many clubs but shows incredible Club loyalty, unlike a certain poster mentioned earlier.

TBF he is better than Ryan Mason and probably more deserving than Delli Alle. I could say the same about Jack Cork.

No doubt the world class midfield maestros of Henderson, Delph, Milner and Wilshere will lead us to glory next summer in any event so it's a moot point.

Is JWP better than any of the players you mentioned? JWP will no doubt play for England but considering the lack of decent midfielders that's probably not a surprise.

The only England midfielder I really rate is Ross Barkley and even he isn't the finished article.

Alli has a bigger frame and is quicker / more powerful. The start to his career in the Premier League has been very good but at the same time he is also making some very wreckless and dangerous challenges which shows that he still has a long way to go.

He is playing for a Manager that will give him every chance so it will be down to him, but had Spurs signed Wanyama...

Sadly, for me, this is exactly what is wrong with English football. Let's pick the athlete over the technically proficient. I would rather have ball playing, technical players than Delph, Henderson e.t.c leading our midfield. But hey, look at Spain and Germany and it's clear to see that size, speed and strength are all you need...

I just don't know why the ***** Saint Charlie bothers to support Saints when he's the source of everything negative written about our players. Wasn't so long back he was calling on the club to play Academy players and criticising any player over 25. Ward-Prowse has shown on many occasions he is more than capable of making the step up and playing with the best. He's 20 FFS and has played 100 senior team games, taken on any role requested of him by the managers. Besides he is the envy of many clubs but shows incredible Club loyalty, unlike a certain poster mentioned earlier.

Maybe he just thinks Alli is a better player.

I still want to know why he was dropped at the euros then made captain afterwards ? Strange decision by Southgate imo

Seniority and age-eligibility. He's still young enough to qualify and play in the next tournament, are any of the players he was dropped for?

Seniority and age-eligibility. He's still young enough to qualify and play in the next tournament, are any of the players he was dropped for?

I waa more miffed that he was dropped tbh they weren't losing when he went off then he never got a look in again after playimg nearly eevery qualifier

I waa more miffed that he was dropped tbh they weren't losing when he went off then he never got a look in again after playimg nearly eevery qualifier

At Saints he is a great player who plays in a team with an ethos of always trying to play it out from the back and being technically very capable with the ball at his feet has the ability to spot a pass and invariably make it, which makes him a midfield hub (this season he has been more combative too).

I must admit that I haven't watched much England U21's, but when I have and JWP has been playing I have often wondered how he hasn't come off the field needing a neck brace from just watching the ball flying 30 feet above his head from the keeper up the field. In which case you don't need an able technical midfielder but a bloke like that Alli chap tall gangly fast who will chase a ball like dog after a ball thrown for it.

The way the Senior team plays is similar Joe Hart.... Boom... Up the field more often than not, England Uraguay in the WC, after Hodgson had watched so much playing out from the back from his seat in the Itchen he played the first half like Wimbledon of old just Bang it up the front and run after it, not once was it played out from the front. It seems Southgate plays in a similar old fashion way where technically able midfielders aren't really needed just blokes who can run at defenders from a ball dropping out of the stratosphere. Until the time that mindset and style changes JWP will sadly be an in betweenie player for England: which is a travesty.

At Saints he is a great player who plays in a team with an ethos of always trying to play it out from the back and being technically very capable with the ball at his feet has the ability to spot a pass and invariably make it, which makes him a midfield hub (this season he has been more combative too).

I must admit that I haven't watched much England U21's, but when I have and JWP has been playing I have often wondered how he hasn't come off the field needing a neck brace from just watching the ball flying 30 feet above his head from the keeper up the field. In which case you don't need an able technical midfielder but a bloke like that Alli chap tall gangly fast who will chase a ball like dog after a ball thrown for it.

The way the Senior team plays is similar Joe Hart.... Boom... Up the field more often than not, England Uraguay in the WC, after Hodgson had watched so much playing out from the back from his seat in the Itchen he played the first half like Wimbledon of old just Bang it up the front and run after it, not once was it played out from the front. It seems Southgate plays in a similar old fashion way where technically able midfielders aren't really needed just blokes who can run at defenders from a ball dropping out of the stratosphere. Until the time that mindset and style changes JWP will sadly be an in betweenie player for England: which is a travesty.

What a load of tosh.

Is this a serious post? The JWP P.R. people are hard at work.

Well, you clearly have an agenda against the lad, and lad he is, 20 ffs. You need to get a life, and get off his back, there are more important things in life, that you hateful obsession with him.

I don't have an agenda against the lad at all. He has shown some bright moments in his last 3-4 appearances for Saints, but honestly if you look at his overall performances, leaving aside his free kicks and corners it's very hard to understand the hype and push for full England selection. The post I commented upon said that "JWP will become an inbetweenie player for England which would be a traversty" - I couldn't let that hyperbole go unchallenged. If you happen to rate JWP good for you: I don't rate him, and I don't think I'm alone. JWP is clearly a lovely lad and is highly articulate and a great advertisement for the Academy. I just don't think he has the qualities to become a leading Prem player, let alone an International.

I don't have an agenda against the lad at all. He has shown some bright moments in his last 3-4 appearances for Saints, but honestly if you look at his overall performances, leaving aside his free kicks and corners it's very hard to understand the hype and push for full England selection. The post I commented upon said that "JWP will become an inbetweenie player for England which would be a traversty" - I couldn't let that hyperbole go unchallenged. If you happen to rate JWP good for you: I don't rate him, and I don't think I'm alone. JWP is clearly a lovely lad and is highly articulate and a great advertisement for the Academy. I just don't think he has the qualities to become a leading Prem player, let alone an International.

Why does he have to become a "leading prem player" - you show your bias with that comment alone frankly.

JWP will be a good prem player for most of his career bar major injury... He is 20years old and a very solid option for us at it is, with 100 appearances and having captained England at every level he's played at. He has very good technical and dead ball abilities, covers a tremendous amount of ground during games and has been making improvements over his physical game as well as being the best dead ball player in our team and one of the better ones in the prem.

No one said he needs to be a "leading player", but frankly if you are using players like Sanchez or Aguero as a yardstick to beat him with then you are very clearly biased against the lad and using any argument you can to put him down... he must be doing something right mind, if you can only criticize him for not becoming a leading player...

Well, you clearly have an agenda against the lad, and lad he is, 20 ffs. You need to get a life, and get off his back, there are more important things in life, that you hateful obsession with him.

Think we should stop using his age as an excuse. His age has very little to do with anything Ross Barkley is only a few months older, Raheem Sterling is the same age. Both Walcott and Oxo looked much better players at a younger age. JWP is a decent PL squad player but that is all he is right now.

Think we should stop using his age as an excuse. His age has very little to do with anything Ross Barkley is only a few months older, Raheem Sterling is the same age. Both Walcott and Oxo looked much better players at a younger age. JWP is a decent PL squad player but that is all he is right now.

What was Morgan Schneiderlin like at his age? Bearing in mind the four you named before are all either very quick, or in Barkley's case, very tall and stocky. Schneiderlin is a more relative comparison, IMO.

What was Morgan Schneiderlin like at his age? Bearing in mind the four you named before are all either very quick, or in Barkley's case, very tall and stocky. Schneiderlin is a more relative comparison, IMO.

You'd have to remember back four seasons for that so what championship year? I seem to remember Morgan being pretty bloody good by the time he was twenty.

I don't have an agenda against the lad at all. He has shown some bright moments in his last 3-4 appearances for Saints,

but honestly if you look at his overall performances, leaving aside his free kicks and corners it's very hard to understand the hype and push for full England selection.

strange you should write that ....I spent a very long time asking myself the same question .....about someone called ....David Beckham.

..but I think his career panned out alright .....in the end.

• 1 year later...
What's happened to david in sweden?

Not totally convinced JWP is good enough for a starting berth in our team, never mind in England's. Unless of course we are better than England, which is fine with me!

"Not totally convinced"? You are being extremely generous today, the bloke has been a waste of space. All the time the Puppet Master is pulling the strings.....

I think he leads the U21s well and with him and Redmond being senior players in the U21s and being in good form at the moment it's the obvious progression is it not ? It's already been said they'll both be back for the euros in the summer no matter what !

Sainy Garrot, football pundit for all those blind football fans who have also hearing difficulties. JWP is the footballing equivalent of Chris Evans doing Top Gear. Plane Crash.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's called up, underrated by our fans I feel. He's had a really good season this year.

Would be a new low for England's international team.

Quite a few ahead of him and rightly so.

We had England internationals, but sold them.

Factually correct but misleading as that would suggest the sales were voluntary. I'm not sure there have been sales which the club could have successfully resisted when faced with players wanting to leave for more money and determined not to extend their contracts. Had we told any player he couldn't leave what sort of sparkling performances would he have put in as his transfer value ran down to zero? Lambert may have been the exception but not sure there is anyone else.

Factually correct but misleading as that would suggest the sales were voluntary. I'm not sure there have been sales which the club could have successfully resisted when faced with players wanting to leave for more money and determined not to extend their contracts. Had we told any player he couldn't leave what sort of sparkling performances would he have put in as his transfer value ran down to zero? Lambert may have been the exception but not sure there is anyone else.

He already knows all that, but he'll be delighted that you had a nibble, although he'll be a tad disappointed it didn't attract more. I 4-1 feel it was worthy of more attention. Perhaps the mods have played a blinder here as watching his flame slowly extinguish is perhaps more entertaining than witnessing an axe being wielded....

(And, yes, you can add this 'means to an end' post of mine to the nibble count ;) )

No question he has improved this season and has had a few good games. He has recently established himself ahead of Clasie and Hojbjerg for that midfield spot, but it's only very recent and that's partly due to his role being slightly wider, operating as more of a RM than CM at times. Some people are seeing this improvement as a reason to think he will eventually be a great player, others feel they have waited such a long time to see such a small improvement that he won't hit such heights. Not sure either of those views are absurd, but it does seem a bit of a leap to say he "fully deserves/warrants an England call up" based a handful of decent (not sure they'd be described as 'stellar') performances for a midtable side, especially as a replacement for Henderson who operates in a central role.

Given his age its no great surprise that he has been patchy until this season but clearly he has proved the doubters wrong with a consistent season and recently a string of excellent performances. It will be no surprise if he makes the England squad nor even the team given the lack of alternatives in a midfield in which some people are even suggesting a Bournemouth reserve player should be included!

Given his age its no great surprise that he has been patchy until this season but clearly he has proved the doubters wrong with a consistent season and recently a string of excellent performances. It will be no surprise if he makes the England squad nor even the team given the lack of alternatives in a midfield in which some people are even suggesting a Bournemouth reserve player should be included!

Clearly he hasn't had a consistent season, but he has had a few good games lately.

He has improved a lot this season, and may have done enough in the U21's to gain Southgate's trust, but I don't think he will maje the squad, as Harry Winks has made the statutory 6 first team appearances for Tottenham, and Davis has almost got to 10 games at Everton.

Don't forget that Nathan Clynes understudy at Southampton got capped before him, just by signing for Arsenal.

Serious question...Do the people on here that don't rate JWP, want to see him do well?

I'd be surprised if anyone ever wanted any Saints player to do badly.

I wouldn't say I am a massive detractor of his - I've defended him in the past when people have been extremely impatient with his development, he clearly has strengths but equally there are elements of his game I can see need improvement before he should be considered one of the first names on the teamsheet. The fact that he hasn't managed to nail down a starting berth until very recently despite both Clasie and Hojbjerg being underwhelming supports this, yet according to some he's had a consistent and excellent season.

Trouble is there are people who, and have, persistently mithered about him are so use to griping about him that if he scored a hat trick 3 games running would still be mithering about him.

I certainly wished he believed in himself a bit more, which he now seems to be doing. About mid way through last season I thought he had become a bit more combative, in the 3-2 Liverpool game I think it was Skrtel he turned inside out and put him on his backside, nicked the ball, and set up our 3rd. The praise towards him was very scant almost dismissive and the preferred line (shamefully from Saints fans) was more towards Minolets poor kick out. In a few of the Europa games this season he was getting stuck in like he was slightly possessed and on the edge of getting carded, maybe all those England games taught him where the line is.......... now there is a habit of knocking him, regardless of how he plays, from certain quarters its going to be hard to shake that off.

Maybe there should be a poll: Who would you rather have in midfield JWP or Clasie.

............ and neither is not an optional response.

Trouble is there are people who, and have, persistently mithered about him are so use to griping about him that if he scored a hat trick 3 games running would still be mithering about him.

I certainly wished he believed in himself a bit more, which he now seems to be doing. About mid way through last season I thought he had become a bit more combative, in the 3-2 Liverpool game I think it was Skrtel he turned inside out and put him on his backside, nicked the ball, and set up our 3rd. The praise towards him was very scant almost dismissive and the preferred line (shamefully from Saints fans) was more towards Minolets poor kick out. In a few of the Europa games this season he was getting stuck in like he was slightly possessed and on the edge of getting carded, maybe all those England games taught him where the line is.......... now there is a habit of knocking him, regardless of how he plays, from certain quarters its going to be hard to shake that off.

Maybe there should be a poll: Who would you rather have in midfield JWP or Clasie.

............ and neither is not an optional response.

JWP for me, i think he is a fantastic player, great vision, control, passing, touch, yeah he is a worthy part of the team and should imho be first choice