Jose Fonte signs contract extension until 2018!

SaintLondon

Didn't we just give him one when we made him captain? :\

I'm hoping we start signing all our players to new deals which reflect the fact the new tv money kicks in soon, it'll probably be cheaper to do it now than when everyone else is getting pay hikes everywhere else.

...and well deserved, too.

In common with Kelvin Davis, who stayed with the club after our relegation (s) and played a magnificent role in our Championship season....Jose might not even have become a Saint .....had Alan Pardew not persuaded him to drop a division (from Palace) and join us ....even when we were starting an L1 season with - 10 points.

A lot of water under the Itchen Bridge since then, but Jose (and KD) are the last two who played their way through L1, Championship ...and back upto the Prem.

His international call-up at age 31, showed that he continues to improve and was no less than he rightly deserved. Well done Jose :toppa:...Good decision Les / Ronald.

That's odd, I heard that he was signing for Palace two months ago as part of our annual meltdown firesale.

I guess the tabloids must have made that up.

I thought he was off to Villa in Jan. done deal my source reckoned.

Well done Jose, total legend. And a big 2 fingers up to Lallana & Co who jumped ship for 'better things'

I thought he was off to Villa in Jan. done deal my source reckoned.

Well done Jose, total legend. And a big 2 fingers up to Lallana & Co who jumped ship for 'better things'

Maybe this was just so we can get a larger fee from Villa.

Surprising but awesome news and good interview too.....Maybe the Board are finally starting to learn how to run a Soccer Club, hopefully the dawn of a new era.....long may it continue

Yes, it is good news about Fonte, but, it's always easy to get a player to sign a new deal if the Player WANTS to sign a new deal. Plus the fact that he would not have set the transfer market alight in January

Realistically, I'll be impressed IF Wanyama and Mane sign NEW Long Term deals

But, I'm not holding my breath on either of those, but I will be interested in how much Spuds and Manure shell out for them

Yes, it is good news about Fonte, but, it's always easy to get a player to sign a new deal if the Player WANTS to sign a new deal. Plus the fact that he would not have set the transfer market alight in January

Heaven forbid ol' Swivel-eyes would ever credit the club with creating a situation where Jose is happy to stay. You'd be the first b itch whining if he was linked with a move away in January.

He is a credit to Southampton and to his country. Just thought his interview along with Cedric and his comments regarding being a traditionalist and returning to The Algarve for his holidays were humbling. Also, his first car being a Fiat Uno, his feet are still firmly on terra firma. Good luck to him and his family.