Liverpool vs SAINTS Build Up & Match Thread

nta786

i agree with you entirely regarding the importance of the Villa game, would be great to get through the the 1/4 finals of the cup for the 2nd year running (and this time not lose to league one opposition ) .

I do think we can beat Villa without a full strength starting XI, i don't think Villa will play all their usual side either.

Well I would take 3 points in the EPL over any cup game.

I'm not so animated by this fixture as I was when Rodgers was in charge. I like the look of Klopp, Rickie has gone (downhill), Lallana and Lovren are massively underachieving, and I am totally meh about Clyne.

I am much, much more interested in burying Tottenham.

Same with me. Unlike Spurs I have nothing against Liverpool as a club, now that Brenda's gone.

But of course in the unlikely event Lovren plays I hope he gets a hat trick. Of own goals.

And never win anything?

As long as we stay in the EPL, I am happy. I never take it for granted that we will stay up until mathematically certain.

The proudest statistic for me is our 27 year unbroken run in the top flight which came to an end in 2005. Worth more than any Cup win including 1976.

As long as we stay in the EPL, I am happy. I never take it for granted that we will stay up until mathematically certain.

The proudest statistic for me is our 27 year unbroken run in the top flight which came to an end in 2005. Worth more than any Cup win including 1976.

Interesting. Why?

Well I would take 3 points in the EPL over any cup game.

Yeah no offence mate but you've already proven beyond reasonable doubt on here that you're a bl0ody mentalist who gets a kick out of posting the same joke about finishing 17th year in year out.

I Would love us to win the cup , as would most of our fans, even at the expense of a few league points.

Plus looks like Benteke and Firmino will also be back and available for them, just our luck!

Yes at this rate even bloody Ings will make a miraculous recovery to face us on Sunday.

I guess that's the power of a new manager no one wants to be out of Klopp's thoughts right now. "Injury what injury? I'm fit as a fiddle gaffer...honest"

Who'd have thought it? ;) As for 1976. I don't agree. Winning the cup was awesome. The 100 metres is more exciting to watch than the marathon. You really cant beat a Cup Final win for excitement.

Plus looks like Benteke and Firmino will also be back and available for them, just our luck!

But will they be 'match fit' even if they come back. Hopefully just a few rusty odds and sods in their team to give a sluggish performance.

Although knowing their luck they'll still nick it 2-1.(Just hope we don't have to see Niveaman score against us and do one of his embarrassing celebrations.

So would I but a win is a win. There are no asterisks against the points total at the end of the season stating *3 points gained against an injury ravaged Liverpool.

I rather think tat every single bi dipper, plastic or not would campaign for this to be done just so that everyone can feel a little bit more sorry for them

What's the quickest way of getting back to the city centre after the game? I've got the bus before and it takes ages...

I've started walking back towards the main road that leads to the city centre and usually there are loads of cabs waiting just don't hang about at the end. Have done bus before as well couple of years ago which only took about 15 mins but I was on one of the first ones.

They were talking about Liverpool's form on sky sports news last night , I hadn't realised how much their position was being proped up by winning their first two games, after that they've only won 1 game in their last 11 (counting Carlisle as a draw in 120 mins) .

They certainly like a 1-1 draw!

Form - WWDLLDDDWDDDD

Stoke (A) 1-0 - W

Bournemouth (H) 1-0 - W

Arsenal (A) 0-0 - D

West Ham (H) 0-3 - L

Man Utd (A) 1-3 - L

Bordeaux (A) 1-1 - D

Norwich (H) 1-1 - D

Carlisle (H) 1-1 (aet won on pens)

Aston Villa (H) 3-2 - W

FC Sion (H) 1-1 - D

Everton (A) 1-1 - D

Spurs (A) 1-1 - D

Robin Kazan (H) 1-1 - D

Anywhere to park where we can get away back on the motorway quickly after game? Parked near the Arkles (?) pub last season and took us an hour to get out so don't want to do that again.

This!

My first visit to Anfield so any quick escape parking advice would be good - I'll be coming into town from the West.

This!

My first visit to Anfield so any quick escape parking advice would be good - I'll be coming into town from the West.

If you dont mind a bit of a walk , might be worth looking at where we parked for Everton last season which was on the A580 just outside the Lifestyles Sports Centre on Walton Hall Park Road, loads of locals were parked there for the match, and ones we spoke to said in 12 years of parking there they had never had (or seen) any trouble, the nice thing was you walked past all the clogged up post match traffic then hopped in the car straight up the road to the M57 and away........ and it cost nowt.

Have a look at Google maps to see where it is............. and decide if you want to walk past Anfield Cemetery in the dark!!!!

If you dont mind a bit of a walk , might be worth looking at where we parked for Everton last season which was on the A580 just outside the Lifestyles Sports Centre on Walton Hall Park Road, loads of locals were parked there for the match, and ones we spoke to said in 12 years of parking there they had never had (or seen) any trouble, the nice thing was you walked past all the clogged up post match traffic then hopped in the car straight up the road to the M57 and away........ and it cost nowt.

Have a look at Google maps to see where it is............. and decide if you want to walk past Anfield Cemetery in the dark!!!!

Thanks for this mate :) I will look into it!

Hey, it's called realism around these parts...tinged admittedly with a hint of irony and indeed hope that I am completely and utterly wrong. We'll see.

Be that as it may. My predicted headline for Monday's sports pages will be 'Klopps Flops humiliated by the Saints' Now that's optimism.

Obviously I want us to beat Liverpool but it will be difficult. We need to be at our best.I reckon Sherwood at Villa might find himself out of a job on Saturday, making Wednesday's game against Villa tougher as they'll want to impress any incoming manager. Just a feeling is all. So getting at least a point out of Liverpool will be key. I'm probably wrong though.

So would I but a win is a win. There are no asterisks against the points total at the end of the season stating *3 points gained against an injury ravaged Liverpool.

Just like there's no asterisks to say "7th place Southampton were the only team to play against Daniel Sturridge twice last season" or "+2 goals for Kevin Friend not giving penalties".

Maybe Sturridge won't be playing on Sunday?

Klopp: "We have to see day-by-day. If he can train tomorrow he's an option. He will have more treatment today because there is still some fluid on his knee.

"I'm not sure in this moment if we will play two strikers on Sunday but it's an option for the future."

Klopp talking about Saints - "We (i.e.Southampton) can play football, but if not we can play long balls - that's what they do. They want to play football and if not they have Pelle."

He's not wrong. I think there's a fair chance with their new gegenpress clearly going into effect from their run-distance stats against Spurs, that we're going to be under pressure on the ball and will have to knock a few into old gel-head on Sunday. Liverpool seem to be struggling to convert that effort into goals though, and if we use Wanyama/Romeu to strengthen our defensive resolve we also have the offer of countering through Mane, who thankfully won't have had a trip to Africa and back this week. Not quite sure how Liverpool are going to implement pressing yet in the longer term, but if it's got the weaknesses of Pochettino's model having pace on the counter could be significant.

This is also another of the post-Europe matches where missing out on the Europa League can only help us with planning and recovery compared to Liverpool's need to focus on Rubin Kazan until today.