Liverpool vs SAINTS Build Up & Match Thread

nta786

Let the media love in for Klopp's first PL game continue... Not.

Disappointing 2-2 draw last time out, but if there is any fixture out of the 38 I could choose to win- this one definitely!

Line up for me:

Stekelenburg

Cedric-Fonte-Van Dijk-Bertrand

Romeu-Wanyama

Davis-Mane-Tadic

Pelle

Bench: Kelvin, Yoshida, Caulker, Clasie, JWP, Jay Rod, Juanmi

Prediction: 1-0, can't see us winning or getting something- but I reckon a jammy Coutinho long shot will win it for them :(

Several of our players had knocks on Saturday. Got a feeling we may not have our first choices available.

i don't think any of our players actually went off injured though, other than Cedric who should be ok after a few days rest for his head. We have an extra days rest than usual with the game being 4.15pm on Sunday, main thing is we get Stekelenberg back in goal.

Liverpool have to play again on Thursday against Rubin Kazan, unfortunately it is at home but still won't be easy for them and they need to get some points on the board having drawn their first two group games so i can't see Klopp resting that many players.

Would be very useful for Benteke and Sturridge to be out against us, along with Ings really reduces their firepower.

How many ex-Saints are we likely to face? Lovren has resumed training i believe , and Lallana / Clyne will both play i reckon.

i'd happily follow in Carlisle and FC Sion's footsteps at get a 1-1 draw.

Liverpool don't have better players than Chelsea so after the win at Stamford Bridge I see no reason not to win at Anfield. As for the Leicester game they have been doing extremely well this year, but we did draw the game despite our players being exhausted after the international matches. Mane also had long haul flight to recover from. Now, with a full week for the squad to recover and prepare for next Sunday this looks a very winnable game.

i don't think any of our players actually went off injured though, other than Cedric who should be ok after a few days rest for his head. We have an extra days rest than usual with the game being 4.15pm on Sunday, main thing is we get Stekelenberg back in goal.

Liverpool have to play again on Thursday against Rubin Kazan, unfortunately it is at home but still won't be easy for them and they need to get some points on the board having drawn their first two group games so i can't see Klopp resting that many players.

Would be very useful for Benteke and Sturridge to be out against us, along with Ings really reduces their firepower.

How many ex-Saints are we likely to face? Lovren has resumed training i believe , and Lallana / Clyne will both play i reckon.

i'd happily follow in Carlisle and FC Sion's footsteps at get a 1-1 draw.

Cedric and Davis both had knocks. As did Wanyama who spent half the game looking quite pedestrian as a result. Fonte got a bad knock late on and it was touch and go whether we would finish with 10 men. Not too worried though as we have more depth this season. I think the player we need to hope is fit is Lovren. Could be a game winner for us....

Cedric and Davis both had knocks. As did Wanyama who spent half the game looking quite pedestrian as a result. Fonte got a bad knock late on and it was touch and go whether we would finish with 10 men. Not too worried though as we have more depth this season. I think the player we need to hope is fit is Lovren. Could be a game winner for us....

I'd be quite keen for Klopp to try and find out that he and Skrtel can't play in the same defence for himself too.

i don't think any of our players actually went off injured though,

Ronald said he took Davis off due to the injury in the first half. I want to believe that he was planning to replace JWP with Clasie rather than Davis, because otherwise it was a huge mistake, and not for the first time. We really need to find another Davis (and please no jokes about Kelvin), because it is being proven time and again that we can't play effectively without his energy, closing-down and link-up play in midfield.

Would be good to see Kelvin given a chance to redeem himself and give Stekelenburg some additional recovery time.

Said nobody.

Fully fit team picks itself aside from the one midfield position alongside Wanyama and Davis.

Nice thoughts. Still remember how well Kelvin did coming on for the injured Forster last season. Don't think he has too much to redeem himself for to be honest though. He's a back up keeper and a good captain in the dressing room.

Nice thoughts. Still remember how well Kelvin did coming on for the injured Forster last season. Don't think he has too much to redeem himself for to be honest though. He's a back up keeper and a good captain in the dressing room.

But did he do well?! I remember the Stoke game, Spurs game etc when he cost points.

Being a no2 keeper and good in the dressing room shouldn't be an excuse IMO. Its the Premier League FFS.

I might try a surprise in this one.

We all know that if Clyne has a weakness it is probably defending aerially - ie. you can get at him "on the back post".

I think, on that basis, it's as good a time as any to give Jay Rod a start on the left. Gives us an extra outlet and allows us to play a shield of Wanyama and Romeu but break quickly and powerfully. If Liverpool go for a Klopp-press approach then defending fairly deeply and breaking quickly could leave some big spaces for us to exploit.

I don't want to drop Tadic but I noticed he was playing more of a central role for Serbia in the recent internationals so I would give him a go there.

------------------------------Stek------------------------------

Cedric----------Fonte--------------Virgil-------------Betrand

-------------------Wanyama-----Romeu--------------------

Mane----------------------Tadic------------------Rodriguez

----------------------------Pelle-----------------------------

Sub: Gazza, Yoshida, Martina, Davis, JWP, Juanmi, Long (or Classie if not fit)

But did he do well?! I remember the Stoke game, Spurs game etc when he cost points.

Being a no2 keeper and good in the dressing room shouldn't be an excuse IMO. Its the Premier League FFS.

He's #3 or #4 actually. Close call between him and Gazza when you have two keepers out.

As an aside, anyone know why it's 16:15 kick off rather than the usual TV 16:00?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Utd - City starts later than usual I think, Five past 2 instead of one thirty. So they'll finish at err about five to four so that would leave the schedule in a mess if there's much injury time in that game.

Probably because Sky are showing three games on Sunday and they need a later kickoff to do all they want in between each of them.

12:00 Sunderland vs Newcastle

14:05 Man Utd vs Man City

16:15 Liverpool vs Saints

Thanks. Hadn't seen they're showing an extra game.

As an aside, anyone know why it's 16:15 kick off rather than the usual TV 16:00?

yes it is because it really is a "super" Sunday this week with live games

Sunderland v Newcastle - 12.00

Manchester United v Manchester City - 14.05

Liverpool v Southampton - 16.15

i think we have done well selling out our allocation for this game including the severely restricted view ones, they should be half price to reflect the fact you'll see half the game, instead of just a couple of quid cheaper.

i think we have done well selling out our allocation for this game including the severely restricted view ones, they should be half price to reflect the fact you'll see half the game, instead of just a couple of quid cheaper.

I reckon they probably charge nearly the same amount on the assumption that people will move to stand somewhere they can actually see the game.

With the injuries going on at Liverpool and a thursday game, not to mention a managerial change, I don't think there is a better time to play against them. Klopp's a good manager, but he's not going to turn Liverpool into world-beaters in a week or two.

If Liverpool have the same type of attack as in the Spurs game (Origi up top) then we can definitely beat them, probably still going to concede though. However if Sturridge and/or Benteke returns fully fit and we have Davis on goal... Well I guess we just have to hope their defense screws up even more than ours. Hoping for a tight 2-1 win.

I might try a surprise in this one.

We all know that if Clyne has a weakness it is probably defending aerially - ie. you can get at him "on the back post".

I think, on that basis, it's as good a time as any to give Jay Rod a start on the left. Gives us an extra outlet and allows us to play a shield of Wanyama and Romeu but break quickly and powerfully. If Liverpool go for a Klopp-press approach then defending fairly deeply and breaking quickly could leave some big spaces for us to exploit.

I don't want to drop Tadic but I noticed he was playing more of a central role for Serbia in the recent internationals so I would give him a go there.

------------------------------Stek------------------------------

Cedric----------Fonte--------------Virgil-------------Betrand

-------------------Wanyama-----Romeu--------------------

Mane----------------------Tadic------------------Rodriguez

----------------------------Pelle-----------------------------

Sub: Gazza, Yoshida, Martina, Davis, JWP, Juanmi, Long (or Classie if not fit)

We are very poor at defending deeply. Ref Man U and Leicester so we need to press and play a high line otherwise we will get stuffed....

It's the first ever Sunday game live on NBC (think BBC/ITV) in the USA:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/10/19/liverpool-southampton-to-be-nbc-networks-first-ever-sunday-premier-league-game-on-tv/

Due to the clocks changing in the UK a week before they do in the USA then the 2nd half is up against the NFL.

Just another reason to do the f######rs. 4-1 to Saints. Gonna be a good'un.

It's the first ever Sunday game live on NBC (think BBC/ITV) in the USA:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/10/19/liverpool-southampton-to-be-nbc-networks-first-ever-sunday-premier-league-game-on-tv/

Due to the clocks changing in the UK a week before they do in the USA then the 2nd half is up against the NFL.

Just another reason to do the f######rs. 4-1 to Saints. Gonna be a good'un.

Thanks, Rut. Just for clarification, it's the first Sunday game to be shown live on NBC's over-the-air network "where no cable or satellite subscription is required".

That's another indication of the incredible rise in the popularity of soccer, and especially the PL, in North America.

God, how I'd love us to play well and win this one.

Better hope we shake off the international fatigue because they'll be running like mad.

Worth remembering that they're playing in the Europa League on Thursday night, though. They may not field a strong team but equally Klopp will do all he can to avoid losing any of his opening games.

Liverpool have been pretty **** so far no reason we can't get a result. Providing the ref does his job fairly

Oooo what joy we have Andre Marriner on the whistle, the one ref who has spectacularly proved that he actually needs to go to Specsavers.

I noticed last weekend that we have the highest tally of yellow cards so far this season, which through my eyes is bizarre, so with Mr Perma Tan running round the pitch on Sunday don't be surprised if we remain top of that league.

Play the same team as you did against Chelski as that was no fluke.

My fears are the Koemans will slot in Clasie and this is where it can go tits up, the guy is not ready just yet.

Hopefully Big Ron keeps Classie on the bench while he builds up his fitness and gives him a run out against Villa in the Cup the following Wednesday, would make sense to me.

Hopefully Big Ron keeps Classie on the bench while he builds up his fitness and gives him a run out against Villa in the Cup the following Wednesday, would make sense to me.

I know what you're saying but if we had to win one and lose one of the next two I would rather beat Villa and reach the quarter finals of a cup. I would not bother starting Classie in either if the only motivation to do so is to provide a fitness exercise but if we must then I would rather do so in the Liverpool match.

I know what you're saying but if we had to win one and lose one of the next two I would rather beat Villa and reach the quarter finals of a cup. I would not bother starting Classie in either if the only motivation to do so is to provide a fitness exercise but if we must then I would rather do so in the Liverpool match.

i agree with you entirely regarding the importance of the Villa game, would be great to get through the the 1/4 finals of the cup for the 2nd year running (and this time not lose to league one opposition ) .

I do think we can beat Villa without a full strength starting XI, i don't think Villa will play all their usual side either.

i agree with you entirely regarding the importance of the Villa game, would be great to get through the the 1/4 finals of the cup for the 2nd year running (and this time not lose to league one opposition ) .

I do think we can beat Villa without a full strength starting XI, i don't think Villa will play all their usual side either.

Depends whether Sherwood thinks his job is safer from beating Saints away in the Cup or getting points in the league to get them out of the bottom 3. Or if he thinks he can do both. We've clearly prioritised the League Cup so far with the team we fielded against MK - but we also have Bournemouth on Sunday 1st Nov and it'll be interesting to see if Koeman rotates then, we're not going to get a better chance to, but they'll be up for it.

We could pick Wanyama-Romeu at Liverpool (away against a top 6 side, if they're as bad as Chelsea we can go less defensive), Wanyama - Ward-Prowse against Villa, and Wanyama-Clasie against Bournemouth. I can see us starting Rodriguez for the last two as well. Probably give Juanmi, Caulker and Yoshida a game somewhere in there too, but not this week!

Edited by The9