Lallana

Guan 2.0

Seems like I'm the only one that thought Lallana actually played well yesterday. Most of their more threatening moves particularly in the first half (admittedly there weren't many) seemed to come from his runs and his passes. Usually it ended up with Moreno on the left who was to blame for wasting numerous promising situations. I was quite relieved when Lallana was taken off, although of course part of that is the relief that he's not going to score against us.

Seems like I'm the only one that thought Lallana actually played well yesterday. Most of their more threatening moves particularly in the first half (admittedly there weren't many) seemed to come from his runs and his passes. Usually it ended up with Moreno on the left who was to blame for wasting numerous promising situations. I was quite relieved when Lallana was taken off, although of course part of that is the relief that he's not going to score against us.

I also thought he played well, bit wastefull with his crossing seemed to either over hit them or not beat the first man. i thought he was Liverpools best player tbh. dont know how Benteke got MOM either, thought Pelle was better all round than Benteke just didnt score.........

Quote Originally Posted by Dellman View Post

Out of all the defectors very few would get in the present Saints team. Clyne would and Oxlade probably would but Lallana and even Theo are not as good as when thery were here and would probably be on the bench most of the time. By the way, has anyone heard of Lambert recently?

I Would Love to have theo back, i dont know why he gets so much hassle, i think he is an awesome player. just dont suit Gunners style tbh, he would be so much more dangerous for us than he is at Gunners, with him and Mane on the wings feeding of pelle would scare the hell out of every defence in the league

I also thought he played well, bit wastefull with his crossing seemed to either over hit them or not beat the first man. i thought he was Liverpools best player tbh. dont know how Benteke got MOM either, thought Pelle was better all round than Benteke just didnt score.........

Quote Originally Posted by Dellman View Post

Out of all the defectors very few would get in the present Saints team. Clyne would and Oxlade probably would but Lallana and even Theo are not as good as when thery were here and would probably be on the bench most of the time. By the way, has anyone heard of Lambert recently?

I Would Love to have theo back, i dont know why he gets so much hassle, i think he is an awesome player. just dont suit Gunners style tbh, he would be so much more dangerous for us than he is at Gunners, with him and Mane on the wings feeding of pelle would scare the hell out of every defence in the league

agree with you on benteke MoM. Load of rubbish

would you drop Pelle (like Wenger has done) to play him (Theo) down the middle, or would you play him out wide (where he doesn't really want to play)?

How much would Lallana cost to buy, say at the end of the season, I wonder?

would you drop Pelle (like Wenger has done) to play him (Theo) down the middle, or would you play him out wide (where he doesn't really want to play)?

I would leave are team how it is, drop Tadic for Theo. no reason to move Pelle, i did say in post i would have Theo and Mane playing off Pelle :D

I cannot see why people think that footballers should be loyal to one employer all their very short working lives.

Would they think they should stay with an employer they didn't like, or if their boss changed for the sake of loyalty.

The only time I ever didn't do what was best for myself probably cost me a small fortune and I was royally shafted a few months later.

There is only one consideration with employment and that is what you consider best for you and your family.

I still like Lallana, and can quite understand why having been at Saints since he was a boy, he wanted to play at another club before he was too old.

Personally I'd have him back like a shot (at the right price of course)

I cannot see why people think that footballers should be loyal to one employer all their very short working lives.

Would they think they should stay with an employer they didn't like, or if their boss changed for the sake of loyalty.

The only time I ever didn't do what was best for myself probably cost me a small fortune and I was royally shafted a few months later.

There is only one consideration with employment and that is what you consider best for you and your family.

I still like Lallana, and can quite understand why having been at Saints since he was a boy, he wanted to play at another club before he was too old.

Personally I'd have him back like a shot (at the right price of course)

Please read the thread. It was how Adam acted and what he said, not that he left hat annoyed people. It's been done to death.

Please read the thread. It was how Adam acted and what he said, not that he left hat annoyed people. It's been done to death.

As has replies of the above type frankly.

What does matter more in the final analysis - what people do, or how they choose to do it? It seems to me that if you were to murder someone then the significance of doing so with an immaculately clean gun and impeccable manners is of little importance when put against that fact that the victim is still dead!

It doesn't really matter anymore if Adam said something stupid when put on the spot at an awards dinner years ago - perhaps if he had been half as duplicitous a player as you think him to be then he could have found a better way of avoiding the question in the first place. No, the key issue here is that our club struggles so to retain ambitious players who want to 'better' themselves elsewhere.

If some on here put half the energy they spent trying to think up reasons to hate this (decent enough) young man on that more important question then they might gain a better understanding of the big issues our club faces.

What does matter more in the final analysis - what people do, or how they choose to do it? It seems to me that if you were to murder someone then the significance of doing so with an immaculately clean gun and impeccable manners is of little importance when put against that fact that the victim is still dead!

It doesn't really matter anymore if Adam said something stupid when put on the spot at an awards dinner years ago - perhaps if he had been half as duplicitous a player as you think him to be then he could have found a better way of avoiding the question in the first place. No, the key issue here is that our club struggles so to retain ambitious players who want to 'better' themselves elsewhere.

If some on here put half the energy they spent trying to think up reasons to hate this (decent enough) young man on that more important question then they might gain a better understanding of the big issues our club faces.

This.

Murder? I think what Adam did is more a like coming home and finding your misses being well ploughed, by that bloke at work you really don't like, after she told you she'd give her right arm for you to be her only **** for the rest of her life.

The anger about the way he left will wear off as the seasons go on some fans (like yourself) will get over it quickly others will take years. Personally, while I don't have the levels of venomous hate that some seem to have for those that left, I do take a certain twisted enjoyment when things don't go well for our ex players...

Of course it matters how you do things, I'm sure people would be more understanding if I murdered some perv from down the road who'd been fiddling with my kids than if I put my impeccable suit on and started strolling round killing people for a crack.

At the end of the day adam was signing liverpool shirts when he was our player, that is fecking disrespectful whatever way you paint it, people don't foregt ****e like that

I agree the key issue is that we struggle to retain ambitious players but until we pay the wages, which the premier league won't allow as they don't want anyone ruining their 'big club' ****fest and Katerina most likely won't sanction, what can we do? At least we aint losing players to teams like Sunderland or Swansea

He's gone, leave him to the scousers. If he's good enough for them no doubt he will stay there. The transfers that boil my p*ss are the stupid ones. Lallana knew where he was going and what he was doing, fair enough imo. The same can't be said about a few other transfers to the dippers.

That is some messed logic.

That aside, holding disdain for Lallana, and being able to understand the broader subject of player retention, are not mutually exclusive states.

“We want nothing less than three points on Sunday.”

My job as a fan is to encourage my team and if there's a vulnerable target on the opposition's side, try to put him off his game (yes, this tactic could backfire as it may motivate him to play better). He did start the game brightly and looked creative, but I like to think the abuse got to him and his game suffered. So in the end he was substituted, job done!

Would I behave like that to him if I saw him at an airport, no........

But as Bill Shankly said,

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that."

... At the end of the day adam was signing liverpool shirts when he was our player, that is fecking disrespectful whatever way you paint it, people don't foregt ****e like that

Well you are free to speak for yourself of course, but you certainly don't speak for me.

I make no apology whatsoever for restating that I neither share in, or even understand frankly, this sense of hatred directed towards Adam Lallana. My first and last reaction when he left us was more one of regret rather than bitterness because I had much enjoyed the experience of watching him develop into the fine player he now is and that privilege was over. Some on here however went so far as to express that they wanted one of our players (Victor Wanyama ironically) to ''break his legs'' when he next came back to St Marys - a truly appallingly thing for anyone who calls themself a Saints fan to post and perhaps the lowest point in this forums history.

Yes of course he was well paid for his efforts and furthering his own career too, but from the stands I saw that lad 'sweat blood' for this club for season after season in the lower leagues. I dare say that few would dispute that Adam played a significant part in getting this club of ours out of the mire we were in and back into the PL. Is it not also true that, man and boy, he spent a long time at this club - more than half his career probably. The record shows that when he finally departed for Liverpool he left the club with a huge transfer profit on the deal - money I will point out the club spent on replacing him quite effectively. Why doesn't any of that still count for something on here?

Few of us fans I suspect really 'know' the young players we discus on here personally. I suppose Adam Lallana could be some inordinately scheming and villainous Human Being who you wouldn't want your daughter to meet, let alone marry. But I ask you to use your judgement and experience of people and tell me if 'deep down' you really believe any of that because I don't.

Well you are free to speak for yourself of course, but you certainly don't speak for me.

I make no apology whatsoever for restating that I neither share in, or even understand frankly, this sense of hatred directed towards Adam Lallana. My first and last reaction when he left us was more one of regret rather than bitterness because I had much enjoyed the experience of watching him develop into the fine player he now is and that privilege was over. Some on here however went so far as to express that they wanted one of our players (Victor Wanyama ironically) to ''break his legs'' when he next came back to St Marys - a truly appallingly thing for anyone who calls themself a Saints fan to post and perhaps the lowest point in this forums history.

Yes of course he was well paid for his efforts and furthering his own career too, but from the stands I saw that lad 'sweat blood' for this club for season after season in the lower leagues. I dare say that few would dispute that Adam played a significant part in getting this club of ours out of the mire we were in and back into the PL. Is it not also true that, man and boy, he spent a long time at this club - more than half his career probably. The record shows that when he finally departed for Liverpool he left the club with a huge transfer profit on the deal - money I will point out the club spent on replacing him quite effectively. Why doesn't any of that still count for something on here?

Few of us fans I suspect really 'know' the young players we discus on here personally. I suppose Adam Lallana could be some inordinately scheming and villainous Human Being who you wouldn't want your daughter to meet, let alone marry. But I ask you to use your judgement and experience of people and tell me if 'deep down' you really believe any of that because I don't.

Despite his services rendered - during which he undoubtedly did as much for Southampton as they did for him - there is still a professional and courteous way to leave a football club. In fact, dare I say, the fact he spent as long as he did at the club meant that there was even more onus on him doing things the right way when he wanted to leave. Unfortunately for him and us, and for whatever reason, he pretty much did everything that was possible to create a messy split. He may have his reasons for that but he is being very thick if he thinks that supporters would gloss over it for his previous performances for the team.

Fans don't ask for a great deal - I think we all understand that loyalty in the modern game has disappeared and quite frankly who can blame him for leaving? - bigger club, bigger platform, huge wages - the move made perfect sense for him. But then, isn't there a right and proper way to go about things when you are Captain of a football club you have spent 12 years at? And if there isn't, don't be surprised at the level of abuse that comes your way from supporters. We all remember Adam saying he wanted to stay at Saints, the badge thumping etc. And the moment Liverpool flashed a bit of leg he was off - and in a way that was disrespectful to the club - supporters included. So you'll have to excuse me if there is an element of schadenfreude to see him struggle a little and Saints competing with the team he left us for - that's football.

I'm still amused by his massive PR coup of putting a big picture of himself in the local paper to say "thanks" which managed to annoy everyone even more than the way he left in the first place.

I found his desperate bid to find someone in Saints kit to say "hi" to to make himself feel important in the tunnel before kick off quite funny too, he was far too concerned with trying to pretend everything was fine with a club that gave him the most inauspicious leaving comment entirely as a result of his conduct, to have been in the right mindset to be have been effective.

The best bit about it was that there was barely anyone he could be acknowledged by, Fonte was at the front of the line as captain and fairly sure of the remaining starting XI only Steven Davis was even here when he was. It showed nicely that we've moved on and got better without him and that he's irrelevant to our progress.

I'm still amused by his massive PR coup of putting a big picture of himself in the local paper to say "thanks" which managed to annoy everyone even more than the way he left in the first place.

I found his desperate bid to find someone in Saints kit to say "hi" to to make himself feel important in the tunnel before kick off quite funny too, he was far too concerned with trying to pretend everything was fine with a club that gave him the most inauspicious leaving comment entirely as a result of his conduct to have been in the right mindset to be have been effective.

The best bit about it was that there was barely anyone he could be acknowledged by, Fonte was at the front of the line as captain and fairly sure of the remaining starting XI only Steven Davis was even here when he was. It showed nicely that we've moved on and got better without him and that he's irrelevant to our progress.

Wanyama was.

The problem is that no matter what his achievements and contributions were, the manner of his departure will be what he is remembered for. He was the one who created the storm (ably assisted by those around him) and he was the one whose actions sullied what could have been an amicable and reasonable departure.

Lallana burnt bridges both inside the Club and with the supporters.

The majority of fans are savvy enough to realise players move on, they would just like an ounce of decency when this happens (I can't remember too much stick for a player who has moved the "right" way??).

Lallana was signing Liverpool shirts and telling their fans he hoped to move a month before the deal went through when he was still our Captain. By contrast, Gerrard refused to sign LA Galaxy shirts until he arrived there (even though the deal had been signed).

For the overwhelming majority it's about respect and Lallana showed little in those last months.

The problem is that no matter what his achievements and contributions were, the manner of his departure will be what he is remembered for. He was the one who created the storm (ably assisted by those around him) and he was the one whose actions sullied what could have been an amicable and reasonable departure.

Lallana burnt bridges both inside the Club and with the supporters.

The majority of fans are savvy enough to realise players move on, they would just like an ounce of decency when this happens (I can't remember too much stick for a player who has moved the "right" way??).

Lallana was signing Liverpool shirts and telling their fans he hoped to move a month before the deal went through when he was still our Captain. By contrast, Gerrard refused to sign LA Galaxy shirts until he arrived there (even though the deal had been signed).

For the overwhelming majority it's about respect and Lallana showed little in those last months.

This in a nutshell, very well summed up !

Ultimately, and it is to the credit of fans (albeit in a twisted sort of way) that Lambert, Morgan, Clyne, Chambers and Shaw aren't booed/hassled from the stands, but Lallana is. Chambers and Shaw caught some flack initially, sure, but that was probably more a symptom of how everyone felt about that entire summer period - at any rate, that hostility has long gone. Point being, most fans seem fairly savvy as to the particulars of all of those transfers, and have decided that only Lallana merits considerable grief. I think that's telling.

Ultimately, and it is to the credit of fans (albeit in a twisted sort of way) that Lambert, Morgan, Clyne, Chambers and Shaw aren't booed/hassled from the stands, but Lallana is. Chambers and Shaw caught some flack initially, sure, but that was probably more a symptom of how everyone felt about that entire summer period - at any rate, that hostility has long gone. Point being, most fans seem fairly savvy as to the particulars of all of those transfers, and have decided that only Lallana merits considerable grief. I think that's telling.[/quote

Lalllana and ......... don't forget Lovren whose head went well in advance of any shirt deal

Ultimately, and it is to the credit of fans (albeit in a twisted sort of way) that Lambert, Morgan, Clyne, Chambers and Shaw aren't booed/hassled from the stands, but Lallana is. Chambers and Shaw caught some flack initially, sure, but that was probably more a symptom of how everyone felt about that entire summer period - at any rate, that hostility has long gone. Point being, most fans seem fairly savvy as to the particulars of all of those transfers, and have decided that only Lallana merits considerable grief. I think that's telling.

The Morgan thing does make me laugh. When he left he was treated like a king and wished well by everyone. However, just 12 months ago, he behaved in a virtually identical way to Lallana. Massively spat the dummy and started crying on twitter because we said he wasn't allowed to go. The club allowed one move, but blocked the other. Both players behaved in the same way, yet one is adored and one is hated. Doesn't add up...

The Morgan thing does make me laugh. When he left he was treated like a king and wished well by everyone. However, just 12 months ago, he behaved in a virtually identical way to Lallana. Massively spat the dummy and started crying on twitter because we said he wasn't allowed to go. The club allowed one move, but blocked the other. Both players behaved in the same way, yet one is adored and one is hated. Doesn't add up...

it is because fans are stupid and very precious

I'm still annoyed with Morgan for the way he tried to force his way out, but I do respect the way he knuckled down and put in good performances for us when it didn't work out for him, instead of sulking and phoning in performances the way some players do when they're trying to force a move.

Lallana was allowed to leave, and so never got a chance to redeem himself, and no one ever took away his spade to stop him from carrying on digging while it all happened.

it is because fans are stupid and very precious

It's because AFTER throwing his wobbler Schneiderlin accepted the situation, knuckled down and was one of our best players. Also, Schneiderlin had every right to ask why he was treated differently to Lovren, Lallana, Lambert, Shaw and Chambers who'd all been allowed to leave without issue - just not by throwing a twitter strop. But he spent 9 months fixing it.

Lallana just sodded off and has spent far too much of his time since trying to be nicey nice to us and pretend it never happened. It must really bother him compared to the reception (eg) Lambert got.

I looked at Morgan, in much the same way I now look at Wanyama. Disappointed and annoyed at the squinnying & whining behind the scenes and I now begrudgingly acknowledge any contribution to the team whilst wearing the shirt. Morgan made some amends with a decent shift for another season, but still left under a cloud for me.

Victor may have come out of with some PR guff saying he is now committed, but that means nothing unless he signs up and stays, or goes after giving his all and leaves in a more respectful manner.

But bringing it back to Lallana, just because two other players acted like ar5eholes and showed little respect doesn't mean he should get a free pass. The guy (& others around him) acted like a tool and deserves nothing but contempt for his actions (and I hope over time people get to hear the full story of what went on).

It's because AFTER throwing his wobbler Schneiderlin accepted the situation, knuckled down and was one of our best players. Also, Schneiderlin had every right to ask why he was treated differently to Lovren, Lallana, Lambert, Shaw and Chambers who'd all been allowed to leave without issue - just not by throwing a twitter strop. But he spent 9 months fixing it.

Lallana just sodded off and has spent far too much of his time since trying to be nicey nice to us and pretend it never happened. It must really bother him compared to the reception (eg) Lambert got.

if tottenham had paid up for schneiderlin it may have been no different to the lallana situation.

Understand that Morgan was paid a 'loyalty' bonus of around £1m to stay another year

Not a bad sum to assuage disappointment

I'm sorry to disagree, but I never viewed him in the same way. I also thought that his performances were not always 100% and if one had to go in the summer between him and Wanyama, I would have preferred it to be him. (But now Wanyama might or not have done the same things as well!!). To me, his heart wasn't wholly in it. Still, I would have preferred it if had stayed with us while giving 100%. But now, I don't care a jot, as he is part of our past, and I prefer to concentrate on the present.

Are you seriously suggesting we paid him an extra 20k per week to stay on even though he was contracted and was already on a high salary? Seems unlikely.

Seems more likely it was some kind of "remaining contract" settlement which prevented him needing to sign another new deal and the club needing to manage the PR around that from everyone thinking it would mean he'd stay longer.

A) No, he wasn't.

B) No, he didn't.

If you can't trust anything you read in the papers/on here, trust the statement (or lack thereof) on the OS. Ask yourself why. I don't really even care about Lallana (schadenfreude aside), I just don't understand the perpetual ignorance/denial that his transfer wasn't uncharacteristically acrimonious. Something clearly was afoul.