Liverpool 1-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Man of the Match v Liverpool  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match v Liverpool

Carragher's "no disrespect to Southampton but Liverpool should be beating them" before kick-off had me just a tad annoyed, given that they only came above us last season due to Kevin Friend's refusal to give us obvious penalties.

Why get annoyed ? Its only other same as saying we should beat Boscombe & Villa this week.

Why get annoyed ? Its only other same as saying we should beat Boscombe & Villa this week.

Because we'd expect to beat Villa and Bournemouth due to being significantly ahead of them in the League table. Whilst Liverpool are below us, and were barely above us last season.

Because we'd expect to beat Villa and Bournemouth due to being significantly ahead of them in the League table. Whilst Liverpool are below us, and were barely above us last season.

You know what he meant, stop being angry for the sake of it. Liverpool are a billion times larger a club than Saints - they should be beating us in every league meeting. Thankfully their team is ****e at the moment and we all have a chance of getting something out of the games.

You know what he meant, stop being angry for the sake of it. Liverpool are a billion times larger a club than Saints - they should be beating us in every league meeting. Thankfully their team is ****e at the moment and we all have a chance of getting something out of the games.

Historically they are a bigger club than us with the number of European and league tittles they have won but when you look at both sides strongest starting line ups I would say we are very much even. The only way they can be considered a bigger club is because of their fan base where they have a world wide following and the fact that Anfield can take 10 or 11 thousand more spectators than SMS.

Bertrand was about ten million quid and Fonte was closer to two million than £800k. And you should include the compensation we paid for Davis which I think was £800k ish.

....more or less my assessment, too. As for Jose Fonte....a figure around £1.2 million (?) comes to mind...but ours was an inexpensive squad compared to Liverpool's.

Carragher's "no disrespect to Southampton but Liverpool should be beating them" before kick-off had me just a tad annoyed,.

you're not alone with that thought " The 9 "..... but what can you expect with a panel of two ex-Liverpool players?

They were all willing L'pool to win and wanted us to be the victims. Alan Parry was little better (as Sky commentator) despite the fact that L'pool had the lion's share of possession for much of the game... he almost had an orgasm every time they managed to string 4 passes together......

....noticed the shocked faces in the Kop after Mane scored.....

Also, did anyone else enjoy the A34 closure last night? Made my ****ing blood boil! Horrendously signed, long, awful diversion. Added 1.5 hours to the sodding journey home.

I tried to navigate a quicker route around it and ended up almost driving into a field.

What annoyed me was the signs saying "A34 Milton Expect Delays" when what it should have said was "A34 closed between Milton and Newbury" which would have given people time to plan ahead.

In fact most of the journey back was pretty bad. The M6 was tediously slow as well.

Historically they are a bigger club than us with the number of European and league tittles they have won but when you look at both sides strongest starting line ups I would say we are very much even. The only way they can be considered a bigger club is because of their fan base where they have a world wide following and the fact that Anfield can take 10 or 11 thousand more spectators than SMS.

When was the last time we finished above them ?

Also, did anyone else enjoy the A34 closure last night? Made my ****ing blood boil! Horrendously signed, long, awful diversion. Added 1.5 hours to the sodding journey home.

Was awful. Missed the closure by about 20mins- shouldn't have stopped at the service station for so long. Still I will be grateful we didn't get the coach. Sounds like some didn't get back until 1:30-2!

. The only way they can be considered a bigger club is because of their fan base where they have a world wide following and the fact that Anfield can take 10 or 11 thousand more spectators than SMS.

The only way they can be considered a bigger club than us is if you if you look at it by every single conceivable measure on club size and stature. Just every single one.

Was awful. Missed the closure by about 20mins- shouldn't have stopped at the service station for so long. Still I will be grateful we didn't get the coach. Sounds like some didn't get back until 1:30-2!

The worst diversion ever. Did anyone carry on past the Milton Park thing to catch the A34 down the road, thinking it was straightforward diversion?

If I had known it was via Wantage then I would have gone via Reading. Absolute joke! Still not entirely sure what the actual diversion route was from the Didcot roundabout.

lol

Mmm, but we'd expect to beat, say, Swansea at home. Plus last season's finish is considered underachievement for Liverpool, so what they should be doing is a wider question than it is for us.

The worst diversion ever. Did anyone carry on past the Milton Park thing to catch the A34 down the road, thinking it was straightforward diversion?

If I had known it was via Wantage then I would have gone via Reading. Absolute joke! Still not entirely sure what the actual diversion route was from the Didcot roundabout.

I tried a couple of places a little further down but both were closed. They had the same diversion after the MK game which was why I didn't want to go through it all again. As I said before some warning would have been nice.

Except that because they haven't actually got anything like as big a club as they used to have relatively to the top sides, they're pretty much in competition with the likes of us for league places, so claiming they "should" be winning games is based on a disparaging perception of Saints AS WELL as a deluded expectation on the behalf of certain scouse pundits.

The only way they can be considered a bigger club than us is if you if you look at it by every single conceivable measure on club size and stature. Just every single one.

Absolutely, but being a bigger club doesn't mean you necessarily have a better team or that you have a God-given right to win matches at any given point in time. Especially when you're below the club you're facing in the league and barely finished ahead of them the previous season as well.

I'm looking forward to Carragher's face when Gary Neville tells him Man United "should be beating the likes of Liverpool" based on league position over the past 20 years...

Mmm, but we'd expect to beat, say, Swansea at home. Plus last season's finish is considered underachievement for Liverpool, so what they should be doing is a wider question than it is for us.

I'd expect a team in the top half to beat a team in the bottom half at home, and a team in the top 4 to beat a team outside the top 4 at home, with the likelihood of it happening dependent on how much further down the table they are in relation to the other side - other than that, it's nowhere near as clean cut at that - based on recent league positions.

Also, Liverpool and Spurs are the 5th and 6th largest clubs in the division behind the teams who came top 4, they just haven't come to grips with that fact yet.