Saints v Bournemouth - Build Up Thread

LGTL

Indeed it is, I'm surrounded by their new fans in Christchurch and work with a load of them in Bournemouth.

All United and Chelsea fans until last season.

Funny how all those that used to be Saints supporters around me (other side of the A35 from Highcliffe) and indeed those that I have taken to SMS as Saints supporters (part time) have suddenly blossomed into Cherries.

Can we not find a way to resurrect the crabby bucket rattler tirade at this time , amazing turn around in fortunes

To the tune of Glory, Glory, Hallelujah/Man Utd/Tottenham Hotspur:

"Do you want to play a friendly?

Do you want to play a friendly?

Do you want to play a friendly?

You can keep all the cash... AGAIN"

Or the straightforward "Shall we raise some cash for you?"

Funny how all those that used to be Saints supporters around me (other side of the A35 from Highcliffe) and indeed those that I have taken to SMS as Saints supporters (part time) have suddenly blossomed into Cherries.

To be fair I see that as a good thing, irregardless of if its to our detriment people should support their local side.

Those people switching to the cherries are at least doing that. And that can't be a bad thing.

Anyway to the game I reckon it'll be a 2-1 type game. They're bound to be more up for it than us as its their biggest day in the league - before cherries get sensitive see your own fans counting it as a Derby and the songs about going to st Mary's last time - we might take it for granted.

We're definitely the better side though so should win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor runs come to an end. I think your right tho.

It'll be tougher than some on here imagine.

Of course, I think they will be really up for it. But now Wilson is out, they are seriously lacking in quality. I personally think our first 11 is as good as last season. When Mane and Tadic are on it, so is Pelle, and that can be a problem for any team in this league.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Of course, I think they will be really up for it. But now Wilson is out, they are seriously lacking in quality. I personally think our first 11 is as good as last season. When Mane and Tadic are on it, so is Pelle, and that can be a problem for any team in this league.

Don't disagree with any of that.

I still don't think we are as strong as last season, as we have not clicked as a team IMHO but the good thing is we are hard to beat these days.

We should win this one comfortable now we have a good settled back four, if Pelle, Tadic and Mane have one of those days Bournemiuth will be ripped apart.

They're on such a poor run, I think we will win comfortably 2-0 (Pelle 28, 72)

Hope you are right. They did create plenty of chances on Wednesday night v L'pool. I think Sadio will get amongst their defence and create plenty of mayhem.

I'll just get irritated when they start calling us scummers. Absolutely the least original put down in football anyway (it still makes me laugh when Bompey try to rationalise it when pretty much all clubs refer to their nearest rivals as scummers, just like we used to for them) and for Bournemouth to copy it is just silly.

I still don't think we are as strong as last season, as we have not clicked as a team IMHO but the good thing is we are hard to beat these days.

We should win this one comfortable now we have a good settled back four, if Pelle, Tadic and Mane have one of those days Bournemiuth will be ripped apart.

We were harder to beat last season, to be fair. (imo)

Liked this bit from ESPN "No matter what TV companies will lead you to believe in the build-up to this weekend's Clasico on the coast, the only genuine south coast derby in the eyes of Saints followers is against arch enemy Portsmouth. An animosity which runs so deep it makes Rangers vs. Celtic look friendly".

We have played 16 games in all competitions this season and only lost three

"harder" - No suggestion that we're not hard to beat now. Original poster suggested that we're only hard to beat "these days". At any rate, by "beat", I'm specifically referencing our ability not to concede...which was far better last year. I imagine our losses tally in the league is similar to last year (at this stage), but we're conceeding a heck of a lot more, ergo, we're potentially easier to beat in my opinion.

Edit: upon reflection, Pilchards may not have been making a comparison with last season anyway. I thought he/she was saying we were better last season, but harder to beat this season, whereas they were probably making a comparison with the first 5 or so games of this season.

Edited by Donatello

Right now we are hard to beat. Early last season we were. But we can't say last season in general as for the last few months we were very easy to beat away from home unfortunately.

Not sure why we're not as good at home. Pressure or just poor form maybe. But we need the front 3 to turn up. Mane, Tadic and Pelle can on their day rip any team apart, but can all go missing. Think with a rest for 2 of them, big home game, we should be fine. But then I thought that against Leicester, another poor defence and we were absolutely awful.

Well, yeah, we were certainly harder to beat (score against) at specific points last year when compared to the tail end, but I think the term can be applied generally when you examine the season as a whole, personally. Our goals against tally will probably be noticeably higher this year, which is fine, provided we keep scoring :p

As long as the players realise that AFCB will be bang on it and that it does mean something to their fans then we will be fine.

Downplaying it too much is complacent IMO.

Its not Pompey of course, but it IS different to other PL games we will play this season.

Agree what ever we feel about it their players and fans will be right up for this which will probably see them playing better than their recent form would suggest.

Its not Pompey of course, but it IS different to other PL games we will play this season.

Is that based on the fact that no other PL game will be against Bournemouth at St Mary's? I mean state the bleeding obvious Charlie.... Christ! :lol:

We might as well embrace this as our South Coast derby, it will probably be a decade before we play Pompey again.

Kind of agree football is about rivalries and as Pompey are **** and will remain **** for along time I see no problem using Bournemouth as a substitute until Pompey get their act together circa 2999AD.

Can't be to many clubs as poorly served in the rivals /derby match stakes as Saints.

since they lost Wilson, their confidence has dropped big time.

We should win. But expect a scrap.

They wont be able to prevent the P.M.T trio scoring.

I want to see a performance from CLASIE. A Welcome to Southampton kind of performance. Go boss it.

I'll just get irritated when they start calling us scummers. Absolutely the least original put down in football anyway (it still makes me laugh when Bompey try to rationalise it when pretty much all clubs refer to their nearest rivals as scummers, just like we used to for them) and for Bournemouth to copy it is just silly.

Only Pompey have the right to call us scummers. Make up your own insult, Bournemouth.

Do you think they may have made a big flag like Feyenoord when they played their big rivals during the week?

2qlep28.jpg

http://m.ultras-tifo.net/photo-news/3855-feyenoord-ajax-28102015.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

'Plucky little p*mpey' named a fanzine after a derby game with us back in the 80s, so the Cherries are sure to mark the occasion somehow.

I can only assume those people who think it's a derby game ... must be Bournemouth pensioners, because it's 60-odd years ago since both clubs were in Div.3 (South) as it was called then, and Bournemouth was actually in Hampshire (before some boundary changes to Dorset) and we played them for 7 seasons in a row.

I suppose that with the exit of Yeovil from the Championship - Bournemouth fans looked at the map and decided that the geography made it a derby game....Ah well.

How did we fair against them 60 -something years ago.? Saints were relegated from Div.2 in 1952-3 and in the first games against the Cherries (season 1953-54 ) the two league games were played on successive days - Christmas Day and Boxing Day... Ronald Koeman would have loved that :mcinnes:.

We came out on top much of the time....winning 7 of the games and drawing 4.....there were 3 defeats all at Dean Park (as their ground was then), and they actually finished marginally above Saints in the league on two occasions.

Saints were promoted in 1959-60 and the two sides only met a few times in Cup games since - whilst Bournemouth were fighting to stay in L1 or L2 much of the time.

Of course we did meet them again for the one season (in L1)... the season when we did the double over them and went back up to the Championship.

Eddie Howe has done a miraculous job at Bournemouth - which no-one can deny....but in all honesty I think we'd need to see them staying in the Prem. for a few more seasons - before we start using the word " derby " game .

Edited by david in sweden
.can't spell suddenly

I can only assume those people who think it's a derby game ... - before we start using the word " derby " game .

David, whatever anyone thinks it is a local derby, by definition (not quite as local as the other one but still local). Really don't see why people have a problem with that. Its a fact, a derby is a game between teams from the same town, city or region. If the New Forest is not a region than I don't know what is, and strictly both teams are from the County of Southampton (or Hampshire), whatever politicians did in the 1960s to redraw boundaries.

What we don't have with Boscombe is a sporting rivalry, in any sort of way (or any other sort of rivalry for that matter). Hence the game is not so important. Like many others I've always followed Boscombe from afar and like to see them do well, but if it comes to a match between Saints and Boscombe, then I will forget who they are for the day.

David, whatever anyone thinks it is a local derby, by definition (not quite as local as the other one but still local). Really don't see why people have a problem with that. Its a fact, a derby is a game between teams from the same town, city or region. If the New Forest is not a region than I don't know what is, and strictly both teams are from the County of Southampton (or Hampshire), whatever politicians did in the 1960s to redraw boundaries.

What we don't have with Boscombe is a sporting rivalry, in any sort of way (or any other sort of rivalry for that matter). Hence the game is not so important. Like many others I've always followed Boscombe from afar and like to see them do well, but if it comes to a match between Saints and Boscombe, then I will forget who they are for the day.

OK Vectis - whatever you say ...I'll put away the OS map now.......:admin:.

We might as well embrace this as our South Coast derby, it will probably be a decade before we play Pompey again.

I have just turned 61 and don't think I will see another league meeting against them Skate barstewards in the remainder of my life time but I would like to draw them in the cup at home and give them a bloody good tonkin.

League 1 didn't make me hate them and neither will this. Just isn't going to be a big rivalry. I hope we beat them and I hope they stay up.

I think with a lot of Saints fans they would look for the Bournemouth result and hope they had won and then look for P/Mouth in the hope that they had lost.