Jordy Clasie - Joins AZ (Official)

Saint Charlie

Why? Lemina was brought in.

A loan isn't ideal: it's not as if the club is loaning him out to get experience or he's going to a league whose quality will make him better should he get another chance. The club seems to have made up its mind on him. As such, I'd prefer to get a fee rather than see him stuck in loan limbo till he walks on a free.

Probably not many takers for a full transfer to be honest. It's probably more of a decision for Jordy, he's been told he won't play much, so will likely explore any opportunity which will allow him game time.

He is a really average player (relatively speaking) who was given plenty of chances since he joined. In all those opportunities, he didn't do enough for me. He was slow, didn't cover nearly enough ground or put pressure on opponents, get goal side enough even, he was lightweight, didn't win any headers, dominate the centre in any way or indeed do a great deal with the ball. He has the first touch to play at a decent level, no doubt about that, but the game went on around him far too much. He scored a couple of times, but I feel that he would never be a key player, so good news that we are parting ways. Hopefully whoever gets his squad place is better. No certainties of course.

I do have a heart, but if we are simply evaluating the player on his performance, this is my assessment.

We all have our opinions, but I would say that he wasn't given a fair crack. However, that could be said about a lot of players at the club. How can players get used to the pace and demands of the PL, as well as their team-mates, if they are only given the odd game, here and there, without a run of a solid number of games?

Can I ask, other than Oriel, who else in the middle of the park last season covered enough ground, put pressure on opponents, got goal side, wasn't lightweight, won headers and dominated the centre? Davis didn't/doesn't do that, JWP didn't/doesn't do that, Hojbjerg didn't/doesn't do it. Those three players are, in my opinion, too alike and neither will be a decent back up for when Oriel is suspended/injured.

If you think Clasie was slow and didn't dominate, then I would be interested to know what you think of Hojbjerg and what he brings to the team? Is he another that could be gone sooner rather than later?

We all have our opinions, but I would say that he wasn't given a fair crack. However, that could be said about a lot of players at the club. How can players get used to the pace and demands of the PL, as well as their team-mates, if they are only given the odd game, here and there, without a run of a solid number of games?

Can I ask, other than Oriel, who else in the middle of the park last season covered enough ground, put pressure on opponents, got goal side, wasn't lightweight, won headers and dominated the centre? Davis didn't/doesn't do that, JWP didn't/doesn't do that, Hojbjerg didn't/doesn't do it. Those three players are, in my opinion, too alike and neither will be a decent back up for when Oriel is suspended/injured.

If you think Clasie was slow and didn't dominate, then I would be interested to know what you think of Hojbjerg and what he brings to the team? Is he another that could be gone sooner rather than later?

ill make this short and sweet, JWP SD and Hoj are not holding mids, never have been, never will be, why would u want them to do the job that Clasie Lemina and Orel all do?

Thank god you are not the manager.

Will be announce today.

Not a good move IMHO. He's only true backup to Romeu we have. (and Romeu is already only 2 yellows from a ban).

So neither Hojbjerg, Stephens or as he has sometimes, Davis couldn't play there alongside Lemina?

Maybe one of our Dutch fans can comment on this .... before he came to Saints, wasn't he more of an attacking midfielder, playing the killer balls through to the strikers? We have played him in a defensive role, which I don't think has accentuated his strengths.

No, he's always been a 'defensive mid', however in Holland he was played more as a deep playmaker.. picking the ball up in his own half, playing defense splitting passes. but in Holland, he would have had more time on the ball and it wouldn't have been as physical.

I'd actually like to see him given a go in the AM role, I think it'd suit him.

Maybe one of our Dutch fans can comment on this .... before he came to Saints, wasn't he more of an attacking midfielder, playing the killer balls through to the strikers? We have played him in a defensive role, which I don't think has accentuated his strengths.

He was known as the dutch 'Xavi', not an attacking midfielder as such, more of a CM who can sit and dictate the tempo. Which he probably did in Holland. But he lacked the presence in this league and as Chez put earlier, games just passed the lad by at this level.

ill make this short and sweet, JWP SD and Hoj are not holding mids, never have been, never will be, why would u want them to do the job that Clasie Lemina and Orel all do?

Thank god you are not the manager.

Thanks for the educated response! My point is we are getting rid of a holding midfielder, leaving our squad short in that area, yet we have retained three midfielders who all perform the same role. I am not asking them to perform that role as none of those three would be capable of playing that role effectively.

Thanks for the educated response! My point is we are getting rid of a holding midfielder, leaving our squad short in that area, yet we have retained three midfielders who all perform the same role. I am not asking them to perform that role as neither of them would be capable.

To be fair, I wouldn't have ever classed Jordy as a holding midfielder. Him, Pierre and JWP - to me - are very much the same type of player. There's no weakening of the squad by letting clasie go, in my opinion.

To be fair, I wouldn't have ever classed Jordy as a holding midfielder. Him, Pierre and JWP - to me - are very much the same type of player. There's no weakening of the squad by letting clasie go, in my opinion.

We have only ever selected him as a traditional centre midfielder with an emphasis on defensive work. He was never going to be given an advanced role with us, whereas JWP and Pierre have been handed that opportunity. My worry is that we have a squad of attacking minded midfielders, but we have no decent back up for Oriel and Lemina. I wouldn't trust Davis, JWP or Pierre to perform that role. It is all about opinions though.

Clasie joins Club Brugge on loan:

Southampton midfielder Jordy Clasie has joined Club Brugge on loan for the remainder of the 2017/18 season.

The 26-year-old has moved to the Belgian side, who currently top the nation's Jupiler Pro League, ahead of the transfer window closing tomorrow night.

Vice Chairman (Football) Les Reed said: “We have an extremely strong and deep group of midfielders here at Southampton, meaning there is significant competition for places in the team.

“We feel it is beneficial to give Jordy the chance to play regular first-team football over the coming months. This move to a strong Club Brugge side will allow him to do that at a high level.

“This is also an opportunity to develop a relationship for the longer term with Club Brugge, one of Europe’s top football clubs, who regularly qualify for European competition.

“We will remain in regular contact with Jordy throughout the loan spell and will be closely monitoring his progress and performances during his time in Belgium, as we do with all our loanees.

“We wish Jordy and Club Brugge the very best for the rest of the season and hope to see him help them to another Jupiler Pro League title.”

Source: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-08-30/jordy-clasie-club-brugge-southampton-loan-announcement

Edited by SuperSAINT

I don't subscribe to the lack of a fair crack. These guys play so much football that we never see. The managers know what they offer and clearly he wasn't offering enough in training and then in games to justify a long run in the team. Almost every time he played he was bang average, or worse. He was a passenger with the game going on around him. What do you do, keep playing him in the hope something changes? He's 26, not 22.

I've seen less of Hojbjerg than Clasie, but his biggest problem is the complete opposite of Clasie in that he gives the ball away time after time after time. You can't do that at this level. Passes need to go to fellow players. I missed the first couple of games of last season when Hoj apparently looked good, so don't even subscribe to thought that he started well and faded badly. In all the games I saw, I saw someone that looked very comfortable on the ball, but then passed straight to an opponent. Stop doing that and there might be a player there...

Pointing to other player failings isn't a reason to retain his services. I'll pass on the JWP and Davis discussion. I've gone off thread enough as it is.

He won't get a chance if he plays in training like he does in matches. Passing to a team mate is quite an important skill to have.

agreed. Its like he has a mental block, sight issues or maybe colour blindness...who knows, but he's a chocolate fireguard unless he can stop passing to opponents. There is still room for an upgrade in central midfielder IMO

We have only ever selected him as a traditional centre midfielder with an emphasis on defensive work. He was never going to be given an advanced role with us, whereas JWP and Pierre have been handed that opportunity. My worry is that we have a squad of attacking minded midfielders, but we have no decent back up for Oriel and Lemina. I wouldn't trust Davis, JWP or Pierre to perform that role. It is all about opinions though.

What 'attacking minded midfielders' that don't score and couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. You're right about their defensive qualities.

well, he just wasnt particularly good for us. oh well

Probably right - however if a couple of our midfielders who are staying (about a decade apart in age difference) had scored similar goals to the couple that Clasie blasted in, we wouldn't have heard the end of it. I thought he was chronically under used; Boufal's Saint's career seems to be meandering in the same direction.

He is a really average player (relatively speaking) who was given plenty of chances since he joined. In all those opportunities, he didn't do enough for me. He was slow, didn't cover nearly enough ground or put pressure on opponents, get goal side enough even, he was lightweight, didn't win any headers, dominate the centre in any way or indeed do a great deal with the ball. He has the first touch to play at a decent level, no doubt about that, but the game went on around him far too much. He scored a couple of times, but I feel that he would never be a key player, so good news that we are parting ways. Hopefully whoever gets his squad place is better. No certainties of course.

I do have a heart, but if we are simply evaluating the player on his performance, this is my assessment.

Chez, what you've described here about Clasie could equally apply to another mid-fielder at the Club.

Careerwise, I believe Clasie would be better off in the Serie A but a move to Club Brugge isn't that bad. They belong to the favourites for the title each year, play in the Europa League, Brugge is a nice city and a three hour drive from his hometown Haarlem in the Netherlands and last but not least: Clasie still gets his fat paycheck every month. I guess the Saints still pay the biggest part of it as in Belgium (and the Netherlands) the salaries are not as ridiculous as in the PL. Moving to Club Brugge is far better than a move to Crystal Palace or Newcastle Utd, that would have been devastating for his career.

Doubt we will see him in a saints shirt again. I don't think he ever really made the grade in the PL. Clasie's signing always came across as Koeman doing a mate a favour.

Thought the same, even more so after watching the Koeman Feynoord departure video when he came to us and a very tearful Clasie on the pitch.

As it says on the tin # We March On.

I don't think so. Not much different than the Koemans signing Cuco or Eljero Elia, or Puel signing Pied. Same as spurs bizarre signing of Paulo Gazzaniga until you find out that Poch and Paulo are family friends.
I think that's a bit harsh. There was plenty of "Dutch Xavi" hype, and in the weeks or so before we actually signed him there was a reasonable amount of "just get it done" impatient stuff on here - he was linked with Leicester as well at the time. And he was a bona fide Dutch international.

Don't believe this is anything like Pied or Cuco.

I think that's a bit harsh. There was plenty of "Dutch Xavi" hype, and in the weeks or so before we actually signed him there was a reasonable amount of "just get it done" impatient stuff on here - he was linked with Leicester as well at the time. And he was a bona fide Dutch international.

Don't believe this is anything like Pied or Cuco.

Agreed and ridiculous to effectively say that he was bought by a mate as a favour. He was/is a proper player and was undoubtedly bought believing he could be a decent PL player. Had Koeman stayed I suspect he'd be playing more and personally I think with a run of games he'd be a better CM option than most of our squad. However, It seems that Puel didn't fancy him and neither does MP so off he goes.

I do agree that he hasn't brought what was hoped/expected, but I still find it hard to understand why he was dropped every time he had a good game. Even after some of his best games in which he scored and showed his promise.

Yep, his treatment was odd and I'm in the he didn't get a fair crack camp. That said, you've got to pick your team based on your next opponent, not your last game. Plus, the managers and coaches see him and others in training day in day out and are better placed to assess who is most likely to do the best job.

I do agree that he hasn't brought what was hoped/expected, but I still find it hard to understand why he was dropped every time he had a good game. Even after some of his best games in which he scored and showed his promise.

Probably because he couldn't actually manage more than 60 minutes in the PL before he was blowing out his arse.