Jordy Clasie - Joins AZ (Official)

Saint Charlie

Thoughts?

First half today he was really good I thought. Kept the ball well, made good decisions and played a great ball to Pelle in the build up for the first goal. Was always available for the ball.

Second half he struggled physically to get close enough to them which presumably was why he came off.

Thats my main concern with him, that physically he might find it tough in the pace & strength of the PL. Hopefully with games he can show that is a misplaced worry. Certainly not a ready made Schneiderlin replacement but thats to be expected I guess.

Thoughts?

First half today he was really good I thought. Kept the ball well, made good decisions and played a great ball to Pelle in the build up for the first goal. Was always available for the ball.

Second half he struggled physically to get close enough to them which presumably was why he came off.

Thats my main concern with him, that physically he might find it tough in the pace & strength of the PL. Hopefully with games he can show that is a misplaced worry. Certainly not a ready made Schneiderlin replacement but thats to be expected I guess.

He played well first half - which puts to bed the questions "is he good enough?" and "can he adjust to the pace of the PL?". Now we just need to know if he can get fit enough to do it for 90 minutes.

He played well first half - which puts to bed the questions "is he good enough?" and "can he adjust to the pace of the PL?". Now we just need to know if he can get fit enough to do it for 90 minutes.

Should be said Bmth were dire first half though so not sure I would make judgements entirely on that, but he was better than other games.

Clasie is good as a 'quarter back' play maker but goes missing when the opposition has the ball, getting passed through too easily. If Wanyama is the only player getting in the challenges in front of the defence then he is bound to see a few yellow cards. We needed JWP or Romeu on for Clasie far earlier today.

Similar to JWP in that he seems to play well when the team is on top and the game is calm, but struggles when we are under the cosh a bit.

Schneiderlin was so good at controlling the tempo and knowing when to get the ball down and play and when to just take the momentum out of the opponent.

Talent there once he gets a bit of stamina and game time will be good. He had a couple of bad injuries so working his way into the team plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts too. Plus he's still adapting to the pace of the game here compared to in Holland. Once he has he'll be a very important member of the team.

Agree. While he doesn't ping the 40 yard pass that Morgan did (or not yet anywau) it is easy to forget that this is only his 3rd league game for us. I remember people booing Pelle at the ground and slagging him off on this forum, as they did with Mané as well.

I think he's being given a role in the side to allow him to adapt to the league, slowly. He quite clearly went about what he was asked to do in that first half, did his jobs well (I think he's just being told to keep it simple).

2nd half, the entire team dropped off. He still covered decent ground, but lost his way as the half wore on.

Great ball in for the build up of the first goal , think he's growing into Premier league football !

Came here to post this - cracking pass and exactly the sort of penetrating ball he's here to provide.

He's still adapting but anyone who can't see his talent isn't paying much attention.

Similar to JWP in that he seems to play well when the team is on top and the game is calm, but struggles when we are under the cosh a bit.

Schneiderlin was so good at controlling the tempo and knowing when to get the ball down and play and when to just take the momentum out of the opponent.

Yes, agree with that on what I've seen so far - seems to find it hard to impose himself once the other team get on top. Early days for him though and needs a few more games in his legs before we see the real player I think.

Agree. While he doesn't ping the 40 yard pass that Morgan did (or not yet anywau) it is easy to forget that this is only his 3rd league game for us. I remember people booing Pelle at the ground and slagging him off on this forum, as they did with Mané as well.

You forgot Tadic is sh it to not as good as Lallana ...no way

Thought he was excellent first half. Faded massively second half. But the talent is there - needs to bulk up a bit as lost a couple of 50/50 challenges because of strength but that can be fixed.

Morgan needed time. So too will this guy. Might take him all season but he looks a good addition to me and something different than what we have got. Great movement off the ball when we have possession to make space for himself as well.

Whole lot of meh, currently no better than JWP or arguably Reed. Seems a shame to bring in a player from abroad rather than blooding the youth if there isn't much in it.

However, I'm assuming they've got high hopes for Clasie, and he will come good once he bulks up and settles, new team and league after-all, a long way to go though. Be interesting to revisit the subject come the end of the season.

Interesting quote from Koeman saying he is not the most physical of players.

Arguably Schneiderlin, as well being good on the ball, was very physical. He didn't start off like that, but by thr end was running and tackling more than most other players in the league.

Whilst Clasie is a replacement in terms of number and position, he is a very different player - which is interesting in itself given we looked very balanced with a Schneiderlin type playing alongside Wanyama.

Perhaps now we are slightly less mobile in there, which is why teams have appeared able to run through too easily at times. Neither JWP nor Romeu help in the mobility stakes either.

Really starting to grow into the team and looking like he can be very good for us. First half yesterday he was right on it. I especially loved his close down of Ritchie's free-kick.

Yah. He will be good.

That was Davis...

Thought Clasie was good yesterday. First hal at least. Now looks fit which has made the difference. Took a knock 2nd half but was tiring anyway. Beginning to see why Ronald was keen to get him.

Clasie is good as a 'quarter back' play maker but goes missing when the opposition has the ball, getting passed through too easily. If Wanyama is the only player getting in the challenges in front of the defence then he is bound to see a few yellow cards. We needed JWP or Romeu on for Clasie far earlier today.

There are 2 ways to stop the opposition getting on top... Get stuck in and effectively shut them down (which turns into a scrap fest)... or get better at keeping the ball.

Most games now there are periods where the oppo can't live with us. We need to get fitter, stronger and more fluid and maintain this for longer. There were games last season where the oppo didnt get shots on targets and I can see us returning to that level this season. I think we will be top 6 this year at the moment. Injuries can ofc derail that.

We won't be top 6 because for a period of the season Yoshida will be a starting right back or centre back, our midfield will be JWP, Clasie and Davis and for some times Shane Long will be our main striker. Possibly Kelvin Davis in goal.

Our first XI gives us a chance to be top 6 but no team ever gets to play their first XI for more than half of their games and we don't have Fabregas, Matix, Walcott, Schweinsteiger etc on our bench.

Squad depth in terms of quality, not numbers, is telling. It will be why Bournemouth will probably get relegated and why a below par Man Utd will still finish in the top 4.

Clasie is quality. no doubt.

Remember when Mane came in the side and everyone was giving him sh£t on here for being ineffective. Mane just needed time to settle his nerves. now look at him.

The same goes for Clasie. He's nervous and finding his way into the side. He will be quality. Def a morgan replacement. Not good news for JWP and Romeu

BTW, why he didn't bring Romeu on when Wanyama was sent off I will never know.

8) Southampton’s No4 is Clasie by name and nature

Southampton fans have needed longer than expected to acquaint themselves with Jordy Clasie but they are learning quickly that their summer signing may well have been a bargain at £8m. The Dutch midfielder, in whom Ronald Koeman had placed considerable faith when the pair were at Feyenoord, was derailed by injury in the season’s early weeks but made his second Premier League start in the 2-0 win over Bournemouth and the impression was positive. Clasie played alongside Victor Wanyama in Saints’ deep midfield pairing and – like the rest of his side – rarely missed a beat in the first half, showing a fine passing range and playing an important part in Steven Davis’s deadlock-breaking goal when he cut an accurate ball into the feet of Graziano Pellè. The Holland international’s quality does not appear to be in question but he will, of course, still need time. He faded in the second period, again in common with most of his colleagues, and his manager said afterwards that he still has to adjust to Premier League levels of intensity. “Jordy is coming out of the Dutch competition and he’s not the most physical player, which is why I replaced him after 70 minutes,” said Koeman. “He needs to learn and adapt to the Premier League. We will give the boy that time, and today he showed his qualities.” Clasie was effectively signed as a replacement for Morgan Schneiderlin and it will be some achievement if he can match the Frenchman’s influence at St Mary’s, but the cautious early evidence is that he fits perfectly into a Southampton midfield that is beginning to pick itself. Nick Ames

EXACTLY

Give him time, it's what like his second game and he's behind everyone else in the league who had a full pre-season and should be peak match fitness, plus he needs time to adjust to a new league.

I think though he will be key to providing the balance in the team and helping us transition from defence to attack more quickly which I think we saw yesterday. First half he was instrumental in my opinion at upping our tempo against a very hard working and deep lying Bournemouth team. Previous years we have struggled to break down teams like that at home (think QPR at home, Sunderland, West Ham) and part of that is we are at times sluggish at moving the ball quickly from midfield to the forwards without just humping it. Clasie looks to me like he will be the pass behind the assist type player, especially once he gets used to the pace of the league. I also think having two similar DMs is just negative and not needed at home, we have Wanyama for that, we don't need another midfield bruiser, we need someone that can get about the pitch but also get his head up and find the likes of Mane and Tadic in dangerous positions.

Fans tend to expect too much of players too soon. I was at the Brighton pre season friendly a few weeks after Pelle and Tadic signed. People were saying he was **** then, even before starting a competitive match.

Though pre-season was also my basis for "Cedric will be good" and "Martina looks a bit shaky", and they've not been far off so far, though Martina was actually better than I thought he was the last couple of times he played.

FWIW it also gave us "Clasie looks lightweight but good at accurate quick passing forward" and that's looked pretty accurate too. Hasn't been obviously "good" yet, but then it took Schneiderlin 4 years to get to that kind of level, and Ward-Prowse is still getting there too. Romeu is a more solid starter at the moment and more comfortable on the ball in the Premier League but we don't need Romeu and Wanyama for most opponents - Clasie/Romeu at Sunderland could be interesting.

Though pre-season was also my basis for "Cedric will be good" and "Martina looks a bit shaky", and they've not been far off so far, though Martina was actually better than I thought he was the last couple of times he played.

FWIW it also gave us "Clasie looks lightweight but good at accurate quick passing forward" and that's looked pretty accurate too. Hasn't been obviously "good" yet, but then it took Schneiderlin 4 years to get to that kind of level, and Ward-Prowse is still getting there too. Romeu is a more solid starter at the moment and more comfortable on the ball in the Premier League but we don't need Romeu and Wanyama for most opponents - Clasie/Romeu at Sunderland could be interesting.

Depends on your ability to read the game though. Most arent very good at it - striker scores = good, doesnt score = ****. Pelle's problem at Brighton was the lack of service, he was getting in all the right positions. We lack other forward thinking central midfielders, which is why Clasie will prove to be a big asset when he gets up to full capacity.

Early performances seem to be exposing the myth that Clasie is somehow destined for the no. 8 or 10 role. Made some decent passes, though from a static or fixed position.

Will be interesting to see how Clasie fares when put under pressure - with such a large gap between Murray and Bournemouth's midfield, our DMs enjoyed plenty of time and space on the ball. Second half was a different matter. We'll learn much more against Sunderland without Wanyama's indomitable presence in midfield.

Depends on your ability to read the game though. Most arent very good at it - striker scores = good, doesnt score = ****. Pelle's problem at Brighton was the lack of service, he was getting in all the right positions. We lack other forward thinking central midfielders, which is why Clasie will prove to be a big asset when he gets up to full capacity.

I'm getting a bit bored with this site's inability to see past the one main incident or goalscorers when it comes to MotM voting, tbh.

Maybe because he had come on for Clasie 6 mins before Vic got sent off?

Yeah, that made me laugh, specifically having remembered thinking "good sub, those two should sure it up a bit in the middle". As it turned out, the only thing that really gave us a problem was a fat bloke running straight at the defence in the last 10 minutes.

I think Koeman has the right rotation, Clasie for 65-70 mins and then Romeu comes on for the last 20-25 if we are winning, if not JWP.

Davis is playing well wide right at the moment but I do not see that staying that way, he is a top CM and would rather he play Davis and Romeu holding next week vs Sunderland and hopefully Long will be fit to maybe come out on the RW.

Both Juanmi and Clasie need to hit the weights to be honest.

How long did it take him to get to that level though? It certainly wasn't after only 3 matches for us.

Give him time, it's what like his second game and he's behind everyone else in the league who had a full pre-season and should be peak match fitness, plus he needs time to adjust to a new league.

I think though he will be key to providing the balance in the team and helping us transition from defence to attack more quickly which I think we saw yesterday. First half he was instrumental in my opinion at upping our tempo against a very hard working and deep lying Bournemouth team. Previous years we have struggled to break down teams like that at home (think QPR at home, Sunderland, West Ham) and part of that is we are at times sluggish at moving the ball quickly from midfield to the forwards without just humping it. Clasie looks to me like he will be the pass behind the assist type player, especially once he gets used to the pace of the league. I also think having two similar DMs is just negative and not needed at home, we have Wanyama for that, we don't need another midfield bruiser, we need someone that can get about the pitch but also get his head up and find the likes of Mane and Tadic in dangerous positions.

This. Good post.

No one in Holland believed Clasie would make it to the first team of Feyenoord as he was too small, looking like a toddler. Due to financial problems and not being able to buy a decent midfielder, Feyenoord gave him a chance and he took it. Last season he was one of the best in the Eredivisie when it came to conquer the ball and setting up a counter attack. Question is: can he do this in the PL also? Though the PL is way more physical than the Eredivisie I believe he can but it will take a season to adept. His pass at Pelle (with the right speed at the right foot of Pelle) which led to the first goal against Bournemouth shows "the kid" can play his passing game in England too, I assume he's far better at this than the other midfielders from the Saints or am I wrong? But he still needs to get more power in order to win duels with his direct opponents, I guess he's on a tight schedule in the gym right now which will pay off in half a year or so. When things work out at Southampton and Clasie becomes a key player I believe he can go all the way to the top. It's going to be interesting to follow his development the coming years!

No one in Holland believed Clasie would make it to the first team of Feyenoord as he was too small, looking like a toddler. Due to financial problems and not being able to buy a decent midfielder, Feyenoord gave him a chance and he took it. Last season he was one of the best in the Eredivisie when it came to conquer the ball and setting up a counter attack. Question is: can he do this in the PL also? Though the PL is way more physical than the Eredivisie I believe he can but it will take a season to adept. His pass at Pelle (with the right speed at the right foot of Pelle) which led to the first goal against Bournemouth shows "the kid" can play his passing game in England too, I assume he's far better at this than the other midfielders from the Saints or am I wrong? But he still needs to get more power in order to win duels with his direct opponents, I guess he's on a tight schedule in the gym right now which will pay off in half a year or so. When things work out at Southampton and Clasie becomes a key player I believe he can go all the way to the top. It's going to be interesting to follow his development the coming years!

I don't believe any of our other midfielders would even have attempted that pass into Pelle, let alone executed it. When Clasie received the ball there were two Bournemouth players directly between him and Pelle, and two easier balls open - either out to either Tadic or recyling it for Fonte to shunt on to Cedric on the opposite wing. Hopefully as he gets more comfortable we'll see more of that, as the ability to pass through a defence rather than constantly trying to pass around it is something we've been missing for a while now.