Wanyama

Sheaf Saint

Not as good as he thinks he is. You hardly ever see him sprint.

This is not meant in anyway as a criticism of you Webby, but a lot of fans tend to measure a player´s worth on how much effort they are perceived to be putting in.. It´s that thing of giving their all for the shirt etc etc which fans love. I get that, but in terms of effectiveness, I would rather someone like Wanyama in midfield, who reads the game so well, breaks up the play, often without the need to run about like a headless chicken. How often did you see Patrick Vierra sprint? Or Claud Makelele? That does not mean they were not committed to the cause.

He failed to track runners past him on a number of occasions in the second half.

I also felt he had a very poor second half against Villa.

I'm hoping Romeu can put in a great performance next weekend to remind Vic he isn't undroppable again.

You are mad if you think Wanyama didnt play well against Bournemouth. He bossed it. his second yellow might have sealed the clean sheet.

Him and Clasie will form a great partnership. Clasie looks Classy.

Time for Romeu to shine now, for a match.

I

We would miss him badly, indeed, we may see how much we do miss him in the next game.

With him on a yellow though I was praying we would take him off for Romeu. He can be too rash under pressure, he is really missing Morgan alongside him.

Fair comment.... Classie is no Morgan and would prefer Romeu beside of Vic ....A few said Vic was poor against Villa too but actually thought he played well....

Ours issues are dropping too deep in games. The issue is Vic it is tactics and we are left wanting in this department on too many occassions...... We should be looking at RK for this not Vic.....

This is not meant in anyway as a criticism of you Webby, but a lot of fans tend to measure a player´s worth on how much effort they are perceived to be putting in.. It´s that thing of giving their all for the shirt etc etc which fans love. I get that, but in terms of effectiveness, I would rather someone like Wanyama in midfield, who reads the game so well, breaks up the play, often without the need to run about like a headless chicken. How often did you see Patrick Vierra sprint? Or Claud Makelele? That does not mean they were not committed to the cause.

No, I don't really measure it in that way, but there are times when he needs to get back and recover and it's not very often you see him put his head down and leg it.

Played well yesterday - really not sure what game some people were watching.

Agree, couple of slightly iffy passes back in the first half but clearly our best CM by a long way. His passing and general composure on the ball is usually good. His ability to use his body to role players and shield the ball is particularly impressive as he often just waltzes out of tight situations with the ball.

How much are we going to get for this guy? There has been a clear drop off in performances since last season. Still a handy player, but can't see us getting more than the 12 million we paid for him. Especially as he is in the last year of his contract next year. Central midfield is a position of need next summer methinks.

How much are we going to get for this guy? There has been a clear drop off in performances since last season. Still a handy player, but can't see us getting more than the 12 million we paid for him. Especially as he is in the last year of his contract next year. Central midfield is a position of need next summer methinks.

Hopefully we stick to our guns of not doing business with Spuds and he stays with us.

Agree, couple of slightly iffy passes back in the first half but clearly our best CM by a long way. His passing and general composure on the ball is usually good. His ability to use his body to role players and shield the ball is particularly impressive as he often just waltzes out of tight situations with the ball.

He once again absolutely bossed the centre of midfield. Of course he doesn't always pass it perfectly - he is a defensive midfielder after all. But IMHO the reason we aren't really missing Morgan (who of course is a fantastic player who we would have back in a shot) is that big Victor has stepped up a gear this season and is actually using the ball better. Indeed where we have lacked is in his partner. Romeu and JWP have their strengths but neither makes an idea all round partner for Vic. Ronald seems to think Clasie is the man but so far I have been hugely underwhelmed. He may well get better but to me whatever his passing skills he seems a bit lightweight.

He once again absolutely bossed the centre of midfield. Of course he doesn't always pass it perfectly - he is a defensive midfielder after all. But IMHO the reason we aren't really missing Morgan (who of course is a fantastic player who we would have back in a shot) is that big Victor has stepped up a gear this season and is actually using the ball better. Indeed where we have lacked is in his partner. Romeu and JWP have their strengths but neither makes an idea all round partner for Vic. Ronald seems to think Clasie is the man but so far I have been hugely underwhelmed. He may well get better but to me whatever his passing skills he seems a bit lightweight.

The problem is that if we don't get midfielders in the team who can actually pass the ball properly and forwards, which I think Clasie can do but Wanyama plainly can't, we will never progress as a side. We had two of the best defensive enforcers in the league last year as a partnership and whilst we were fantastic defensively there were a lot of games where we just moved the ball too slowly in midfield. If we want to improve then we will need to sell Wanyama and try and find another midfielder who has more ability on the ball than him. There's a reason why none of the clubs above us (except Spurs but very little in it last year) have any interest in signing him

The problem is that if we don't get midfielders in the team who can actually pass the ball properly and forwards, which I think Clasie can do but Wanyama plainly can't, we will never progress as a side. We had two of the best defensive enforcers in the league last year as a partnership and whilst we were fantastic defensively there were a lot of games where we just moved the ball too slowly in midfield. If we want to improve then we will need to sell Wanyama and try and find another midfielder who has more ability on the ball than him. There's a reason why none of the clubs above us (except Spurs but very little in it last year) have any interest in signing him

Perhaps he's bulls**tting when he claims Arsenal has been in touch with him, then.

EIther way, Wanyama's passing has improved substantially since his first season. Creating space isn't all about passing either. Its also about taking the ball forward, sucking opponents in or out of position. He has shown far more willingness to do that than Morgan. His ability to go past opposing midfielders -often simply by brushing them off- adds an important dimension to our game.

Edited by shurlock

EIther way, Wanyama's passing has improved substantially since his first season

It's not saying much is it? His passing was abysmal when he first came, it's now just very average. You couldn't trust him to play a pass more than 20 yards and it would have to be sideways or backwards. He's a monster of a man, but technically he's very very average, and that's why very few teams above us want him. Morgan is miles ahead of him as a player.but even he moves the ball too slowly at times and gets criticised by a lot of United fans for that reason

I do not get it when people say he does not want to be here.

Because he said in the summer that he does not want to be here?

He's a monster, but I wouldn't have too much of an issue if we sold him for good money. He is replaceable.

I don't think he is the complete player a team like Arsenal, Man U, Man City, or Chelsea would want to compete at the highest level. He could help a Tottenham, Liverpool or Everton, but that isnt much of a step up from us. And even those first two would unlikely be a long term fixture. He is great at what he does, its just the other stuff. And to excel at the sharp end of the premier league you need more about you than Wanyama has. I always thought he was best used against the better team where we helps us dominate midfield but was more of a hindrance against teams set up to defend, where we need quicker play and more accurate passing to break them down.

He's an idiot for going into that challenge already on a yellow card. Didn't deserve the applause he got when he walked down the tunnel either.

Look at the two footed challenge again. I honestly don't think he meant it. His 'standing' leg slips so turns into a two footer and looks worse than it was intended. Clumsy challenge, yes, but he's a great player, our best centre mid and he's only 24. He can tackle, win balls and break up play better than anyone we've had in years. He's had his head turned but enjoy him while he's here - can't imagine we'd be able to replace him with anyone near his ability. Stop the Vic-bashing, just because he doesn't kiss the badge doesn't make him a bad player.

• 1 month later...
In danger of wasting his talent. Why would Spurs sign him when they have Dembele, Dier and Alli? Was probably scrubbed off the target list today after a number of disappointing appearances

Agreed, if Spurs (or anyone else) were interested surely today's performance would have ended that interest. Awful, responsible for giving the ball away so many times. I hadn't really joined in with the anti-Vic posts recently, but today he was a complete tosser (along with several others).

Agreed, if Spurs (or anyone else) were interested surely today's performance would have ended that interest. Awful, responsible for giving the ball away so many times. I hadn't really joined in with the anti-Vic posts recently, but today he was a complete tosser (along with several others).[/quote

Funny how Vic and Berahino have both been sh*te since Spurs interest and paltry offers.

Agreed, if Spurs (or anyone else) were interested surely today's performance would have ended that interest. Awful, responsible for giving the ball away so many times. I hadn't really joined in with the anti-Vic posts recently, but today he was a complete tosser (along with several others).[/quote

Funny how Vic and Berahino have both been sh*te since Spurs interest and paltry offers.

Yep, we should also ensure that we do no business whatsoever with Spurs, and that definitely includes 'Dros Townsend.

Yep, we should also ensure that we do no business whatsoever with Spurs, and that definitely includes 'Dros Townsend.

Great tactic - express interest in player, scramble his mind, leave club to pick up the pieces of scrambled player's brain.

Agree with you concerning dealing with Spurs, as I said on a previous post - no, no and thrice no, even frice (if that's a word) ; )

I'll no doubt be called a WUM and told he can't get into Swansea's team but I wish Jack Cork was still here. No way he'd have downed tools the way Wanyama has.

Totally agree with you.

He was a decent play for us and would be a good option in our position

I'll no doubt be called a WUM and told he can't get into Swansea's team but I wish Jack Cork was still here. No way he'd have downed tools the way Wanyama has.

True. the guy oozed a first class attitude and only left because he wanted 1st team football regularly. Shame it hasn't worked out.

Great tactic - express interest in player, scramble his mind, leave club to pick up the pieces of scrambled player's brain.

Agree with you concerning dealing with Spurs, as I said on a previous post - no, no and thrice no, even frice (if that's a word) ; )

It's just business I'm afraid. It's what the makes the (football) world go round. Spuds put in an offer, we deemed it too low and said 'No' but ***k me, how I wish we had said 'Yes!'

not by me. He proved both Poch and RK wrong but was still overlooked. Just how much did he want in wages? Id take Cork ahead of any of our CM at the moment. Dirty work done perhas the footballers in the side would be more effective.