Do people really think we've got a stronger squad than last year/the year before?

ScepticalStan

I must say, I was surprised the other day to find that I was in the minority when it comes to believing that (relatively strong though our squad is), I do believe that we're a shade weaker than we were the past two seasons.

I was tempted to propose a bet that we won't finish as high as 7th this season or collect as many points, but confident though I would be of winning, I wouldn't want to be in any way inhibited from cheering us on.

Anyway, do people honestly think we're as good as we were last year or the year before that?

In terms of the first team I'd say:

Forster = Stekelenberg

Clyne > Cedric

Toby = Virgil

Fonte = Fonte

Bertrand = Bertrand

Wanyama = Wanyama

Morgan >>> Clasie

Davis = Davis

Mane = Mane

Pelle = Pelle

Tadic = Tadic

So don't get me wrong, I don't think there has been a massive step down at all (there's only one player that we really, really can't/haven't replaced, whilst the other replacements are no worse than a very slight step down), but I'm struggling to see how you could argue that we're actually stronger than last year. :?

I don't mean to be too much of a doom-monger but we've played 6 teams in the top 12 so far this season and haven't beaten any of them yet. Plus we aren't defending our leads with anything like the same control and just general 'savvy' that we had this time last year. We looked panicky today against Bournemouth much as we did against Leicester, whereas this time last year we were keeping clean sheets for fun and grinding out 1-0 after 1-0 as comfortably as you like.

So yeah...really? People think that we've got a stronger team this year than last? I just can't see how anyone could think that really, but its all a game of opinions of course.

Anyone want to make the case for the opposing view?

You're looking at the first team but you need to look at the quality of the bench. We have genuine options in case Plan A goes wrong. In fact, I'd say we're weaker currently because Shane Long and JRod, who would normally be on the bench, aren't available to come on. But when everybody is fit, we have a stronger squad than last year.

If you want to pick out results, I'll choose the two aways games at Chelsea and Liverpool. Last season we got 1 point. This season we have got 4 from those games.

Probably a stronger squad than last season, but a weaker first team. We sold our best player to one of the biggest clubs in the world. It's not that easy to just get better and better and better but I think we are holding up very well.

We're going to finish 7 -10th and that's fine by me.

Delighted to see Cedric getting MOM on here only a few weeks since he was the poster boy for the "we can't keep on selling our best players and replacing them cheaply" moaners.

We've got a very good team and a squad with reasonable depth. Happy days.

At the moment I think we're ever so slightly weaker on the pitch with our starting XI, but only because: Cedric is still settling in (excellent today, though) while improving vs Clyne who was an experienced and valuable team member; Clasie is slightly off-pace due to injury, settling into PL vs Morgan who was our best player last season; Vic is a little inconsistent without Morgan's support; Stek isn't as good as Fraser.

However... I think we have better squad strength, with Long, JWP, Gaston, JRod all better than they were last year; Davis is better this season; Mane is playing better; Pelle & Tadic pairing has developed well since last season; VvD is proving to be better than Toby; Romeu is better back up than the academy youngsters (no disrespect to them); JWP is better, more reliable.

Overall, I think we have better potential, better strength in depth so yeah, I think we're better this year.

As mentioned, you said we have a weaker squad than last year, and yet you have only compared our first team. Yes, our first-choice XI is almost certainly marginally weaker than last season, but the whole squad has been improved significantly. Players who were regular starters in the last two seasons are only making the bench this season, and there are some players who have played regular first-team football for us who sometimes don't even make the bench.

In past seasons, we would only name 16 genuine first-teamers in the squad and fill with two youth players, and if we got two or three injuries at once we looked stretched to breaking point. Simply not the case anymore, and that shows genuine progress with squad depth.

Personally think Cedric was more than good enough to replace Clyne ok his first couple of games in the PL he struggled but every week he is getting better. His movement when attacking is better than Clyne's, his crosses are decent and he is now defending very well.

VVD looks every bit as good as Toby IMO (in fact MOTD2 tonight were singing his praises tonight) and he offers far more goal threat at corners than Toby ever did.

The only player we haven't really replaced is Morgan but then that would have been a very tall order considering what a class player he is.

Our bench also looks far better than last season (at least when Jrod and Long are fit)

Squad better, first team overall marginally worse, but only because don't have Morgan.

First choice back 5 is the same I believe.

Midfield (defensive) currently weaker - which effects our back five as well - but losing Morgan is almost impossible to replace. Still, we have more depth there with Romeu, JWP, Wanyama, Davis, Clasie, Reed. Felt last year when Morgan was out, we really struggled. Can lose any of that midfield now and it doesn't make much difference.

Midfield (attacking) - much better, but not necessarily because of new signings. Tadic back to his best, Mane on fire, Davis scoring goals, Jay Rod, Gaston, Long and Juanmi in reserve.

Attack - again, much better, Pelle on fire, if injured, Jay Rod, Long and hopefully Seagar to step up. Add in the creativity of Tadic and menace of Mane, we look like scoring goals this season - and a lot of them. I expect us to score a lot more than last season but also concede more.

Right back reserve is a problem - but Cedric for Clyne is fine - don't think we have lost anything there. VVD for Toby - probably gained a bit in a goal threat and he's looking better and better defensively. Plus, VVD wants to be here - always a plus.

Will be interesting to compare once the first XI play a bit more together.

I'll take your bet by the way - 7th or higher for me.

Squad better, first team overall marginally worse, but only because don't have Morgan.

First choice back 5 is the same I believe.

Midfield (defensive) currently weaker - which effects our back five as well - but losing Morgan is almost impossible to replace. Still, we have more depth there with Romeu, JWP, Wanyama, Davis, Clasie, Reed. Felt last year when Morgan was out, we really struggled. Can lose any of that midfield now and it doesn't make much difference.

Midfield (attacking) - much better, but not necessarily because of new signings. Tadic back to his best, Mane on fire, Davis scoring goals, Jay Rod, Gaston, Long and Juanmi in reserve.

Attack - again, much better, Pelle on fire, if injured, Jay Rod, Long and hopefully Seagar to step up. Add in the creativity of Tadic and menace of Mane, we look like scoring goals this season - and a lot of them. I expect us to score a lot more than last season but also concede more.

Right back reserve is a problem - but Cedric for Clyne is fine - don't think we have lost anything there. VVD for Toby - probably gained a bit in a goal threat and he's looking better and better defensively. Plus, VVD wants to be here - always a plus.

Will be interesting to compare once the first XI play a bit more together.

I'll take your bet by the way - 7th or higher for me.

To right last year our answer to losing Morgan was to put a CB in Toby in the midfield much better options now.

I'd compare the same players across seasons as well.

Last Season vs This Season:

Forster = Stekelenberg

Clyne > Cedric

Toby = Virgil

Fonte = Fonte

Bertrand = Bertrand

Wanyama > Wanyama

Morgan >>> Clasie

Davis

Mane

Pelle

Tadic

So yeah...really? People think that we've got a stronger team this year than last? I just can't see how anyone could think that really, but its all a game of opinions of course.

Don't rule out the strength of the bench this season as well with JWP, Rodriguez, Romeu, Yoshida and Juanmi.

While I agree we're worse off at the holding midfield area, I'd say Mane and Davis has stepped up their games significantly. Pelle & Tadic has also improved steadily.

I'm thinking the squad as a whole is better this season. Looking forward to Clasie or Romeu to grow into the English game and improve over the course of the season as well.

stronger squad, weaker first 11.

most definitely, weaker in defence. For what ever reason

I think the defence is getting better week in week out. Early season it was a bit of a mess but that's understandable given that Fonte was the only survivor from the regular back five of last season and that our DM positions were also in turmoil early season after losing Morgan and having Victor trying to force a move to spurs. I think if everyone stays fit at the back we will see more clean sheets as the season goes on.

What else would he say?

Football people don't mean half the crap they talk about, it's all spin and sound bites.

Well, there are countless examples of managers who use TV interviews to talk about gaps in their squad and a requirement for "more quality", "one or two more in key areas", "more competition", so that's what else he could say.

On all the evidence I'd say Ronald is happy with his squad and the support he is getting from the club.

The only "crap" is when certain football chairmen make aimless promises of Champions League football, but that's "spin" and "soundbites" only the foolish fall for, isn't it.

What else would he say?

Football people don't mean half the crap they talk about, it's all spin and sound bites.

This is true. I once remember a chairman of a league one club telling everyone who would listen that his club was on an unstoppable march to the champions league, were going to become the next great power in English football playing in an expanded 50,000 stadium with a team full of academy graduates and he was going to do it all by not getting into debt at all as he didn't believe in debt. Lots of people idolised him, hanging onto his every word. The funny thing is the guy didn't even believe his own spin as he quit on the job with none of his promises brought to bare. Sound bites and spin indeed.

Think from a squad POV we are stronger - Juanmi, Romeau and JRod do add depth we didn't have (although JRod on history alone - I'm assuming here that he becomes something like the player he was - as so far he has looked poor). First team is a bit weaker - we really miss the composure of Toby and Schneiderlin when teams put pressure on us, it's been notable this year (wasn't the case the last 2 years) that we seemingly cannot turn around sustained pressure (Man Utd, Leicester, Bournemouth etc) and I think that is a concerning difference. I guess when talking strength of squad it's interesting to note that we could easily have a £50m bench for a game this season (Gazza (£1m), Claise (£8m), Ramires (£12m), Long (£12m), Yoshi (£3m), JRod (£7m), Romeu (£5m)).

The defence is getting better now that RK has decided on his preferred four of Cedric, Fonte, VVD and Bertrand. So they are settling in and building an understanding.

Too many changes at the start of the season week in and week out and of course Bertrand was out injured, VVD hadnt arrived and Cedric was like a headless chicken trying too hard to impress.

Squad deffo stronger, first team is missing Morgan, whether Classie will become that player to replace him is too early to say !

Disagree that our 1st XI is weaker.

Pellè and Mané have improved on last season and that offers us much more up top and which over rides any weakening elsewhere.

I guess Toby/VVD is somewhat subjective esp as it is hard to compare 2 players who play so differently. I think all/most would agree that VVD offers more up top, and I personally see little difference at the back. Of course one can be somewhat biased being a Saints supporter, but think VVD is no weaker at the back, so with the added attacking option, is an upgrade on Toby. Others will think it a downgrade and some will think it neutral.

So it comes down to Morgan. I did think that some of his games, he wasn't at 100%. But the facts are that he missed 12 league games of which we lost 7 (out of 14 all season). 3 off those were at the end of the season against Sunderland, Leicester and Man City where the whole team seemed to have switched off. So we have Clasie instead, who of course at the moment is not at the level of Morgan - it would be unrealistic to expect someone who has played 3 league games to be at that level. Who knows what might happen and how he might develop.

So to me, we are weaker with Morgan at the moment, but much stronger with Pellè and Mané, especially Pellè whose play this season has been superb.

Well, there are countless examples of managers who use TV interviews to talk about gaps in their squad and a requirement for "more quality", "one or two more in key areas", "more competition", so that's what else he could say.

On all the evidence I'd say Ronald is happy with his squad and the support he is getting from the club.

The only "crap" is when certain football chairmen make aimless promises of Champions League football, but that's "spin" and "soundbites" only the foolish fall for, isn't it.

This is true. I once remember a chairman of a league one club telling everyone who would listen that his club was on an unstoppable march to the champions league, were going to become the next great power in English football playing in an expanded 50,000 stadium with a team full of academy graduates and he was going to do it all by not getting into debt at all as he didn't believe in debt. Lots of people idolised him, hanging onto his every word. The funny thing is the guy didn't even believe his own spin as he quit on the job with none of his promises brought to bare. Sound bites and spin indeed.

:lol: you two are so predictable, or is it one?

Think it's already been said, but our squad is stronger and our first team is weaker. That's pretty much what we can expect too. We can keep buying players at the upper end of our level, but any that look top end will move on to other clubs, which is fair enough, because we would drop them if they were at the lower end.

I think we're about the 7th to 10th best team in the league, which is better than I'd expected for this season, so anywhere thereabouts is good, anywhere higher is absolutely outstanding.

At the end of the season I'd say we're in with a chance of losing VvD, Mane, Wanyama (although I'm not sure he'd get the clubs coming in for him that he might hope for) and possibly Bertrand. However, I think Liverpool won't come in for more and the very top clubs will be aiming higher than our players, so it's only really Spurs we need to worry about trying to poach our players and they don't offer that much. Long way to go yet though.

Think it's already been said, but our squad is stronger and our first team is weaker. That's pretty much what we can expect too. We can keep buying players at the upper end of our level, but any that look top end will move on to other clubs, which is fair enough, because we would drop them if they were at the lower end.

I think we're about the 7th to 10th best team in the league, which is better than I'd expected for this season, so anywhere thereabouts is good, anywhere higher is absolutely outstanding.

At the end of the season I'd say we're in with a chance of losing VvD, Mane, Wanyama (although I'm not sure he'd get the clubs coming in for him that he might hope for) and possibly Bertrand. However, I think Liverpool won't come in for more and the very top clubs will be aiming higher than our players, so it's only really Spurs we need to worry about trying to poach our players and they don't offer that much. Long way to go yet though.

I''d be very disappointed to lose VVD after a season. I would expect to get at least three out of him. Mane and Wanyama will go next summer for big bucks and Bertrand will stay IMO.

I must say, I was surprised the other day to find that I was in the minority when it comes to believing that (relatively strong though our squad is), I do believe that we're a shade weaker than we were the past two seasons.

I was tempted to propose a bet that we won't finish as high as 7th this season or collect as many points, but confident though I would be of winning, I wouldn't want to be in any way inhibited from cheering us on.

Anyway, do people honestly think we're as good as we were last year or the year before that?

Forster = Stekelenberg

Clyne > Cedric

Toby = Virgil

Fonte = Fonte

Bertrand = Bertrand

Wanyama = Wanyama

Morgan >>> Clasie

Davis = Davis

Mane = Mane

Pelle = Pelle

Tadic = Tadic

So don't get me wrong, I don't think there has been a massive step down at all (there's only one player that we really, really can't/haven't replaced, whilst the other replacements are no worse than a very slight step down), but I'm struggling to see how you could argue that we're actually stronger than last year. :?

I don't mean to be too much of a doom-monger but we've played 6 teams in the top 12 so far this season and haven't beaten any of them yet. Plus we aren't defending our leads with anything like the same control and just general 'savvy' that we had this time last year. We looked panicky today against Bournemouth much as we did against Leicester, whereas this time last year we were keeping clean sheets for fun and grinding out 1-0 after 1-0 as comfortably as you like.

strange post. you're assuming people are the same as last year.

I would actually say tadic, davis, pelle and mane look better than they did last year. More settled, know their teammates and seem fitter. I think they look different from what they did at the excellent start of last season. We looked very good last season by smashing in the goals, but I think the team looks more settled and better organised than it did same time last year.

Towards the end of last year, felt Clyne was much poorer than Cedric has been. Also would say virgil is better than alderweireld. More presence, better passing, little less agile but still very good defender.

I''d be very disappointed to lose VVD after a season. I would expect to get at least three out of him. Mane and Wanyama will go next summer for big bucks and Bertrand will stay IMO.

Won't Victor only have one year left on his contract next summer? If so, like Clyne, he won't go for as much money as the fans would like.

Forster = Stekelenberg

Clyne > Cedric

Toby = Virgil

Fonte = Fonte

Bertrand = Bertrand

Wanyama = Wanyama

Morgan >>> Clasie

Davis = Davis

Mane = Mane

Pelle = Pelle

Tadic = Tadic

You don't know the difference between a team and a squad, is my observation.

We really won't know for a good few months longer.

Last season we were excellent until January but threw away loads of points in the final months of the season, in particular losing away games against poor side. This season we have looked very dangerous as an attacking team but have had less of a stranglehold on games (our recent second half home performances being the case in point) however we might now be able to go on a bit of a winning run (City away, probably, aside).

If Forster becomes available to play at any point then we are clearly much stronger in GK depth this season. In any event, I think Stekelenburg is better so even if he doesn't we are no worse off.

Cedric is doing well now and Van Dijk and Fonte look to have hit it off. Although Toby is excellent we still have an excellent defensive shape and tend to restrict the opposition to very few genuine changes. As someone else noted, it looks likely we will score more goals from defence with Virgil over the season (if we haven't already).

Up front, Pelle, Tadic and Mane are all playing better than their average form last season, I would say.

The area where we are not as strong looks to be midfield. Not surprising because Morgan was the best deeper-lying central midfielder in the league. However iof Classie grows into it and Wanyama pulls his finger out again we are still pretty strong there with the likes of Romeu and JWP giving good depth.

Then add Juanmi and (hopefully Rodriguez) who we didn't have last year.

We should be aiming for more than 55 points again and to do better in the cups.

Stronger squad and IMO though we have lost Morgan and Clyne I think by the end of the seasons Cedric and Clasie will be close enough to those two. Also I think Pelle. Tadic and Mane have all improved, I'd argue Vigil is as good a package as Toby and even say players like Yoshida and JWP outside the first eleven have improved. So no don;t think the first 11 is weaker overall, I think if might be a tad weaker in areas but stronger in others because of player improvement.

Plus really over the last few seasons it has never been our first 11 that has been the issue, it has been the crop of quality we had once two or three were missing (like say Gazziniga or Hooiveld for example coming in and making big errors and costing us games), this year out quality in depth is better and we have better options to change games.

Forster = Stekelenberg - (not really, we also have forster back from January, plus kelvin and gazza, so much better depth.)

Clyne > Cedric (this will end up different), we also have martina and McCartney as backups.

Toby = Virgil (Virgil is a far better all round player and that is obvious already, plus he has no injury troubles like Toby)

Fonte = Fonte

Bertrand = Bertrand (and target has improved and is a good back up)

Wanyama = Wanyama (wanyama is worse imho, but we also have Romeo, JWP and Reed should we need them... all have improved or are better options that last year)

Morgan >>> Clasie (really, much much much greater than morgan? pull the other one sunshine, your bias is amazing, and also, he has played what, 3 games of prem footy after a large injury layoff? not one to rejoice in a player failing are you...)

Davis = Davis

Mane = Mane (plus Jayrod and Junami)

Pelle = Pelle (plus Jayrod)

Tadic = Tadic (Plust Jayrod and Junami...)

As with your Aston Villa pre match comments; you are wrong. The squad is obviously stronger than last years and it is purely a question of the first 11 not being quite at the same level or fluidity as yet... This is coming however.

There is a fine line between questioning the team and looking for any negative you can find to rejoice about and/or keep picking at so that you can stand up and go "look at me, I was right"... with each one of these posts/threads you make/start you are reaffirming my opinion that you are just doing the same as other negative posters on here so that you can have your "i'm right moment" just like so many broken records.

The squad has undergone large changes again this year, and you forget completley that for the opening matches we didn't have 5 of last years back 6.... yet despite all that we are in 7th and have a nice run of games coming up to push higher with... The team are now starting to click, Clasie is beginning to find his feet and after Christmas/January we should have 2 top quality GK's to pick from... We haven't even dipped into playing the kiddies yet despite injuries and suspensions... In comparison we had seven u21 players playing against Everton earlier in the year. It is beyond me how you think we will need to go to those lengths again this season barring an absolutely catastrophic injury crisis.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt this time regards to the squad depth and having a moan, but honestly, of all the things this season, this is not something you should be moaning about. The win over Villa is further proof of the depth we have.

The squad is no doubt deeper and stronger. Only right back is an area I'd look at and say we don't have strength in depth (Forster is there; just injured, so I don't include GK in that).

Ultimately, it's that squad depth, rather than the strength of our first team, that will determine where we finish I believe. I think we'll finish much stronger than in previous seasons and finish either 5th or 6th.

I don't think van diyk is better than Toby. Toby brilliant defender and Spurs fans saying he's brilliant. Van diyk got to learn defensively to he's that good IMO,

Of course they'll say he's brilliant, just as they would claim that Pochettino is a better manager than Koeman and that they have a better team than us. They will hardly admit that the manager and the player that they got from us were poor decisions.

Early days yet to decide whether Alderweireld is better than Van Dijk (who is two years younger), but based on his recent performances there are certainly signs that Van Dijk has the potential to be better than Alderweireld a little further through the season.

Of course they'll say he's brilliant, just as they would claim that Pochettino is a better manager than Koeman and that they have a better team than us. They will hardly admit that the manager and the player that they got from us were poor decisions.

Early days yet to decide whether Alderweireld is better than Van Dijk (who is two years younger), but based on his recent performances there are certainly signs that Van Dijk has the potential to be better than Alderweireld a little further through the season.

spurs sit above us, finished above us and are still in europe and will finish above us this season.

their claims would hold some ground really.

Spurs fans must be only football fans in the world who pretend that they think their manager and centre back are good solely to avoid losing face to the club they bought them from.

Funny how Liverpool fans don't do that with Lovren, Lallana and Lambert, isn't it? I think most Liverpool fans will quite happily "hardly admit" that "the players they got from us were poor decisions".

Forster = Stekelenberg

Clyne > Cedric

Toby = Virgil

Fonte = Fonte

Bertrand = Bertrand

Wanyama = Wanyama

Morgan >>> Clasie

Davis = Davis

Mane = Mane

Pelle = Pelle

Tadic = Tadic

Davis

Mane

Pelle

Tadic

Davis, Mane, Pelle and Tadic are all better players this year than they were last year. Therefore, stronger squad this year.

We've got strong competition for every position besides goalkeeper and (arguably) centre forward now that Yoshida's proven himself a reliable right back. I can't remember a time where I could say that before.

Our surfeit of quality centre mids continues as well.

We've got strong competition for every position besides goalkeeper and (arguably) centre forward now that Yoshida's proven himself a reliable right back. I can't remember a time where I could say that before.

Was it the backpass that did it for you?

:? Personally don't want to see Yoshida as a full back unless we are having a dire injury crisis.

On that basis, I assume you think Fonte was crap last season then?

He wasn't as good as Alderweireld. ;)

I'd also note that Fonte has a rather significant body of work suggesting he's not crap, as opposed to Yoshida, who has rather the opposite, with one exception in very recent memory.

Morgan is the only definite loss for me. The rest we have replaced equally or improved on. Overall both squad depth and balance are much better. We have more options to change a game and should last the season better than previously.

This. ^

They will if they finish in the top four. And now that Eva's gone and "the special one" has completely lost the plot, Chelsea seem to be offering them a golden opportunity.

spurs sit above us, finished above us and are still in europe and will finish above us this season.

their claims would hold some ground really.

This time last year, we sat comfortably above them. Last year, Chelsea were champions and who would have predicted that under Mourinho they would be where they are presently? Because we are out of Europe, our chances of player injuries and suspensions are diminished.

At this early stage in the season, not much credence can be placed on a team's eventual league position based on what they did last year.

Spurs fans must be only football fans in the world who pretend that they think their manager and centre back are good solely to avoid losing face to the club they bought them from.

Do you seriously think that Spurs fans are all just pretending to think that Pochettino is a good manager and Alderweireld is a good defender purely to spite little old Saints?

Incidentally I find that Liverpool fans are far more arrogant with the players that we've sold to them. Rather than admit we've done them over and have run off to the bank laughing, I constantly hear them insist that they're 'Southampton-level players' etc.

Do you seriously think that Spurs fans are all just pretending to think that Pochettino is a good manager and Alderweireld is a good defender purely to spite little old Saints?

Incidentally I find that Liverpool fans are far more arrogant with the players that we've sold to them. Rather than admit we've done them over and have run off to the bank laughing, I constantly hear them insist that they're 'Southampton-level players' etc.

lets wait and see what a good manager can do with lallana, clyne etc

I do not think getting £37m for Clyne and lallana is anything like 'laughing to the bank'

Obviously I don't, it was an observation on the usual drivel from Wes Tender.

Edited by CB Fry