Cedric in the top 10 best tacklers in the PL (so far)

doddisalegend

I like how we've handled him. He clearly wasn't 100% to the level at the start of the season, so we've taken our time with him and slowly bedded him into the side. And we're reaping the rewards now as he's looking excellent positionally in both attacking and defensive sense.

We're doing the same with Clasie which will also work wonders.

I like how we've handled him. He clearly wasn't 100% to the level at the start of the season, so we've taken our time with him and slowly bedded him into the side. And we're reaping the rewards now as he's looking excellent positionally in both attacking and defensive sense.

We're doing the same with Clasie which will also work wonders.

Yep first couple of PL games he did look a little lost by the pace and physicality of it all. The Everton match when he found himself up against Romelu Lukaku in full flow was painful to watch at times but even then you could see he had ability. He has been improving as the weeks have gone on and this Sunday he was my MOTM.

Our coaches must be the best, time and again newcomers are bedded in and produce the goods within a couple of weeks. Man U couldn't do it with Falcao or that Santa Maria guy and Fellani is still 'settling' after a year---and that lot cost £8o million¬

Did make one or two mistakes on Sunday - one of the Bournemouth's best chances came from his failure to push up, playing Murray onside after Gosling's through ball. Only a great VVD block prevented a dangerous shot (VVD gave him an earful afterwards).

The irony is that Yoshida was slaughtered on here for Leicester's second, a near carbon-copy of Cedric's error, though in that case, Yoshida was arguably less culpable since Davis underhit goal kick took everyone by surprise and prevented the back line from getting properly set. But hey consistency isn't always in huge supply on here.

On the whole, Cedric is making good strides. At times, he waits for players to come onto him, before making a tackle, something that Clyne never did (thanks to his trust in his recovery ability). But as he has shown, he can only improve.

Edited by shurlock

Did make one or two mistakes on Sunday - one of the Bournemouth's best chances came from his failure to push up, playing Murray onside after Gosling's through ball. Only a great VVD block prevented a dangerous shot (VVD gave him an earful afterwards).

The irony is that Yoshida was slaughtered on here for Leicester's second, a near carbon-copy of Cedric's error, though in that case, Yoshida was arguably less culpable since Davis underhit goal kick took everyone by surprise and prevented the back line from getting properly set. But hey consistency isn't always in huge supply on here.

On the whole, Cedric is making good strides. At times, he waits for players to come onto him, before making a tackle, something that Clyne never did (thanks to his trust in his recovery ability). But as he has shown, he can only improve.

and yet he has made 97% of his attempted tackles successfully so it seems to be working for him.

If Yoshi had just made that one error then I doubt if he would have got as much stick. Unfortunately he makes many errors that lead to goals. He does tend to switch off at times.

Just as an aside, interesting to compare that team of the week with Garth Crooks' one.

Vardy - Kone

Mahrez - Barkley - Coutinho - Campbell

Ake - Otamendi - Sakho - Bellerin

Butland

vs

Ighalo - Lukaku

Kone - Coutinho - Ozil - Campbell

Monreal - Kocielny - Otamendi - Cedric

Butland

I don't think he should be dropped unless injured . Koeman is way more unpredictable though .

I can see him being dropped for Yoshida again . Can also predict it being a massive mistake .

Hopefully it never happens again . We signed him and should trust him

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I don't think he should be dropped unless injured . Koeman is way more unpredictable though .

I can see him being dropped for Yoshida again . Can also predict it being a massive mistake .

Hopefully it never happens again . We signed him and should trust him

Well this is an interesting example of proposing something that absolutely no-one thinks will happen, claiming the opposite would be a mistake - something the vast majority of people would agree, and then claiming to have some kind of wisdom based on avoiding a situation that no-one thinks would be a good idea in the first place.

Are you St George, and how did you persuade Koeman not to do this? :D

If Yoshi had just made that one error then I doubt if he would have got as much stick. Unfortunately he makes many errors that lead to goals. He does tend to switch off at times.

It's not even that he occasionally switches off for me, it's his stubborn insistence on trying to win the ball when it isn't there, lunging past players and getting the wrong side.

The awful back pass and the hack straight to the opposition when Stekelenburg told him to find the crowd were just poor one-off decisions, the wrong side thing is a persistent problem. He seems to operate in a slightly different parallel to everyone else in terms of direction changes too, like he's on ice and not grass, zooming past in all directions trying to get back where he came from. It's weird. FWIW his passing has massively improved from when we signed him and he hit everything with his ankle and basically bobbled it at his defensive colleagues.

Improving yes but no where near Clyne . The fact he gets dropped for a mediocre CB for certain games proves it

All that proves is that we like to rest important players against teams we can beat. Most recently when Cedric was left out for Yoshida we also replaced Fonte with Caulker and Bertrand with Targett, does that tell you anything about Fonte and Bertrand's ability?

It's not even that he occasionally switches off for me, it's his stubborn insistence on trying to win the ball when it isn't there, lunging past players and getting the wrong side.

The awful back pass and the hack straight to the opposition when Stekelenburg told him to find the crowd were just poor one-off decisions, the wrong side thing is a persistent problem. He seems to operate in a slightly different parallel to everyone else in terms of direction changes too, like he's on ice and not grass, zooming past in all directions trying to get back where he came from. It's weird. FWIW his passing has massively improved from when we signed him and he hit everything with his ankle and basically bobbled it at his defensive colleagues.

These are things that you can coach out of players though and I am surprised that either they haven't tried or that they haven't picked this stuff up. He does have a good attitude and wants to improve and you would like to think, if they have talked to him about this, he would have changed by now.

Well this is an interesting example of proposing something that absolutely no-one thinks will happen, claiming the opposite would be a mistake - something the vast majority of people would agree, and then claiming to have some kind of wisdom based on avoiding a situation that no-one thinks would be a good idea in the first place.

Are you St George, and how did you persuade Koeman not to do this? :D

You've lost me .

I will re word it to make it simpler for you .

I wouldn't be surprised if Koeman dropped him again . I hope he doesn't but he is often unpredictable.

Improving yes but no where near Clyne . The fact he gets dropped for a mediocre CB for certain games proves it

Interesting that Clyne who was frequently praised for his tackling doesn't even make the top 10 of the list in the OP while Cedric, who people claim is defensively suspect, does make the list and with the highest percentage of successful tackles in the top 10 players to boot. Of course their is more to a being a good fullback than tackling but from what I've seen Cedric is pretty good going forward to. I wonder what the assist/cross stats are like for Cedric and Clyne this season?

I've always rated Clyne but over the last few weeks, as he has found his feet, I can not say I've watched Cedric play and felt the team has missed Clyne all that much.

Interesting that Clyne who was frequently praised for his tackling doesn't even make the top 10 of the list in the OP while Cedric, who people claim is defensively suspect, does make the list and with the highest percentage of successful tackles in the top 10 players to boot. Of course their is more to a being a good fullback than tackling but from what I've seen Cedric is pretty good going forward to. I wonder what the assist/cross stats are like for Cedric and Clyne this season?

I've always rated Clyne but over the last few weeks, as he has found his feet, I can not say I've watched Cedric play and felt the team has missed Clyne all that much.

As you say, interesting that Clyne isn't in the top ten. Also notable that apart from Lucas, Cedric has played one less match than the others. On his average of four tackles a match, that would raise his position up 4 or 5 places, possibly retaining the highest percentage of tackling success too.

I wonder what the assist/cross stats are like for Cedric and Clyne this season?

Cedric 10 apps

Clyne 11 apps

Cedric is in at 40 crosses with 1 assist, 4 crosses a game.

Clyne has 26 crosses with 0 assists, 2.36 crosses a game.

Clyne has 4 clean sheets (0.36 per match), 4 blocks (0.36 p. m.), 23 clearances (2.09 p. m.).

Cedric has 2 sheet sheets (0.2 p. m.), 4 blocks (0.4 p. m.), 31 clearances (3.1 p. m.).

Sources:

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/players/profile.statistics.html/cedric-soares

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/players/profile.career-history.html/nathaniel-clyne

Cedric 10 apps

Clyne 11 apps

Cedric is in at 40 crosses with 1 assist, 4 crosses a game.

Clyne has 26 crosses with 0 assists, 2.36 crosses a game.

Clyne has 4 clean sheets (0.36 per match), 4 blocks (0.36 p. m.), 23 clearances (2.09 p. m.).

Cedric has 2 sheet sheets (0.2 p. m.), 4 blocks (0.4 p. m.), 31 clearances (3.1 p. m.).

Sources:

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/players/profile.statistics.html/cedric-soares

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/players/profile.career-history.html/nathaniel-clyne

Cheers very interesting stats.

You've lost me .

I will re word it to make it simpler for you .

I wouldn't be surprised if Koeman dropped him again . I hope he doesn't but he is often unpredictable.

There is a difference between "dropping" a player due to poor form and changing the team due to tactical reasons. You say that Ron is unpredictable as if being predictable is a good thing. He will have his reasons when making team selections and tactical decisions and with a deeper squad he has more of an opportunity to change things if he thinks it will work better. With regards to Cedric, now he is playing more consistently and the defence seem more stable I would be very surprised to see a different back four than Cedric VvD Fonte & Bertrand unless there is a good reason.

There is a difference between "dropping" a player due to poor form and changing the team due to tactical reasons. You say that Ron is unpredictable as if being predictable is a good thing. He will have his reasons when making team selections and tactical decisions and with a deeper squad he has more of an opportunity to change things if he thinks it will work better. With regards to Cedric, now he is playing more consistently and the defence seem more stable I would be very surprised to see a different back four than Cedric VvD Fonte & Bertrand unless there is a good reason.

agreed. think back five against everton. noone saw it coming - not least martinez - and we hit em all over the park. unpredictability can be an asset.

besides, I guarantee that had yoshida not had that awful backpass (generally, an awful game against utd), noone would be on his back as much. I think over the summer we all felt he was a strong, third option for our back line. the way people talk about him now is downright disrespectful.

one of the best former defenders in the world (RK) who knows him better than me and watches him every day rates him to start/play occassionally.

Cedric is a fine player, I imagine his communication/link with fonte will be really important and it helps that they're on the national team together. Toward the end of the summer when he started playing I was gunning for a "first choice" RB to come ahead of cedric in January or next summer. Now, I'd just be looking to grow/develop cedric and basically replace Martina with someone who doesn't have uncontrollable octupus tentacles for legs

Edited by eddie

agreed. think back five against everton. noone saw it coming - not least martinez - and we hit em all over the park. unpredictability can be an asset.

besides, I guarantee that had yoshida not had that awful backpass (generally, an awful game against utd), noone would be on his back as much. I think over the summer we all felt he was a strong, third option for our back line. the way people talk about him now is downright disrespectful.

one of the best former defenders in the world (RK) who knows him better than me and watches him every day rates him to start/play occassionally.

Cedric is a fine player, I imagine his communication/link with fonte will be really important and it helps that they're on the national team together. Toward the end of the summer when he started playing I was gunning for a "first choice" RB to come ahead of cedric in January or next summer. Now, I'd just be looking to grow/develop cedric and basically replace Martina with someone who doesn't have uncontrollable octupus tentacles for legs

but he did make that back pass and he is liable more than most to make a possible game changing howler.

this signing of martina is a joke. absolutely no idea why he is here.

Totally agree with you, took Cedric a while to get going but now moves the ball forward comfortably like Clyne used to and is capable backtracking as well. Has a good cross on him too- something which weve done a lot of this season and you just wonder whether with Clyne we'd be able to get the well timed dead balls and crosses timed perfectly to the head of Pelle.

but he did make that back pass and he is liable more than most to make a possible game changing howler.

this signing of martina is a joke. absolutely no idea why he is here.

agreed he did and on balance of things is more likely. last year I thought he was alright over the season than this. But last season he often played as left sided CB, now he's coming in at RB. it is not exactly the same. though devils advocate - fonte did a howler back pass also, granted that was a blip and not the norm.

yoshida's performance against villa was alright.

I bet martina was erwin's idea

I honestly don't think he was half as bad as people make out on here when he first started. I really like him and he has great potential as well.

I think that's been a general theme for new players who have been seen as replacements for leavers. Twenty minutes into their first game and people are off on the old "Well he is no (insert left players name of choice)is he?". It's like some people can't get their head around the idea that a new player might need time to settle.

I think that's been a general theme for new players who have been seen as replacements for leavers. Twenty minutes into their first game and people are off on the old "Well he is no (insert left players name of choice)is he?". It's like some people can't get their head around the idea that a new player might need time to settle.

whats the score with Martina?

I honestly don't think he was half as bad as people make out on here when he first started. I really like him and he has great potential as well.

Not sure if there was much chat about performances but more about Koemans reluctance to use him in some big games early on. Glad Cedric is looking good and that Yoshida isn't playing there.

whats the score with Martina?

Well he clearly wasn't a replacement for anyone was he? Martina cost less than your average Championship player and was most likely added for a bit of squad depth, if we had progressed in the Europa league, and because Erwin had managed him before. As we crashed out of Europe early and don't have a load of extra games there probably isn't much place for him in the squad.

Well he clearly wasn't a replacement for anyone was he? Martina cost less than your average Championship player and was most likely added for a bit of squad depth, if we had progressed in the Europa league, and because Erwin had managed him before. As we crashed out of Europe early and don't have a load of extra games there probably isn't much place for him in the squad.

chambers?

i'd rather we not loan our players out instead of spending money on a player like Marina. Who is not even our back up RB anymore. wont make the bench unless there are a load of injuries

just my opinion

Cedric comes in at no 10 having won an impressive 97% of all the tackles he has attempted

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/11/stats-lucas-leiva-the-premier-leagues-top-tackler-so-far-this-season/

?? How can that be true? ..lots of people on here have clearly stated that he's rubbish. Are you suggesting that these " experts" are wrong ?:rolleyes:

chambers?

Martina was not a replacement for Chambers.

Toby was in the role of RB cover if needed, with £8m on Gardos as back up CB if Toby was needed at RB. As it turned out he spent more time as DCM cover.

Since then it seems that Yoshi has been earmarked that role, with Caulker covering the back up CB role.

Martina is squad meat to cover Europa/League Cup fixture strain, clearly not really required now. Football Club makes poor signing shock.

Edited by CB Fry

Martina was not a replacement for Chambers.

Toby was in the role of RB cover if needed, with £8m on Gardos as back up CB if Toby was needed at RB. As it turned out he spent more time as DCM cover.

Since then it seems that Yoshi has been earmarked that role, with Caulker covering the back up CB role.

Martina is squad meat to cover Europa/League Cup fixture strain, clearly not really required now. Football Club makes poor signing shock.

I wouldn't even call him that. He cost us £2 million which is chicken feed in todays transfer market and bought him with Europe in mind. I'd say it was decent forward planning only ruined by going out to Danish Champions FC Nonleaguestandard so early makes it look like a slightly odd signing.

I wouldn't even call him that. He cost us £2 million which is chicken feed in todays transfer market and bought him with Europe in mind. I'd say it was decent forward planning only ruined by going out to Danish Champions FC Nonleaguestandard so early makes it look like a slightly odd signing.

I honestly think that Stephens or McCarthy could have done the job Martina was brought in to do. Seeing as we champion the academy and a pathway through.

matters little I guess

Not sure if there was much chat about performances but more about Koemans reluctance to use him in some big games early on. Glad Cedric is looking good and that Yoshida isn't playing there.

I think Koeman has managed him superbly well. You could see that he had the tools to be good but Koeman has given him time to settle and at the same time shown him that the team can function without him so he needs to be at his best. He's now settling nicely and imo he'll keep improving.

I honestly think that Stephens or McCarthy could have done the job Martina was brought in to do. Seeing as we champion the academy and a pathway through.

matters little I guess

But then they wouldn't be getting first team football. We're clearly planning long term with these kids as we've given them contracts up until their mid twenties.

But then they wouldn't be getting first team football. We're clearly planning long term with these kids as we've given them contracts up until their mid twenties.

but stephens is not getting 1st team football at boro. neither would martina IMO