• Ward-Prowse
    • Davis
    • Tadić
    • Mané
    • Pellè
    • Romeu
    • Juanmi
    • Caulker

Didn't see the game , I just don't see the point of him playing there when we have a fit Cedric to play there !?

I'm assuming because without him (Yoshida) it would have been Pelle/VVD/Fonte, and a selection from Bertrand/Cedric/JWP/Clasie/Davis/Mane/Tadic defending corners/set pieces/crosses, which Ron finds unpalatable - he may have a 4 players above 6ft policy :p You can't really have any complaints about it if we're winning (well, you can, obviously, but it's a little OTT/critical).

Edited by Donatello

Sat in the Strawberry outside St James Park. I thought we were excellent, they were horrible and look like relegation certainties on that performance.

Totally dominant from start to finish, only surprise was we didn't score more.

Clause was superb and ran the midfield. I only saw one misplaced pass from him in the whole game. VVD was sublime again. What a signing.

Koeman said post match he expected sunderland to play 2 up top meaning yoshida would have been the 3rd centre back.i bet no-one on here could tell me whose been playing for sunderland let alone what system they been playing so im more than happy to let the guy who gets paid to look into those things and decide who plays!! Coyr

From the guardian: "Watching the first half was a slightly gruelling experience, leavened only by a series of classy cameos from the aptly named Jordy Clasie. The Southampton midfielder seemed to touch the ball more than anyone else, not to mention control the pace and tempo and some of his interchanges with Dusan Tadic offered mini masterclasses in ball manipulation."

Thanks Dutchie. those of us fortunate to have seen Clasie play for Holland or for Feyenoord before he joined us would know that his passing and control of the tempo is exactly why Ron wanted him. I certainly had no doubts he would show those qualities.

The Sunderland team was very different to what was expected, in particular a change from the three at the back BFS played at Everton (understandable) but dropping Defoe (a surprise). BGR (big ginger Ron) expected different and selected Yoshida (a more defensive minded player than Soares).

That's why he's the coach and not a poster on here....

Bit odd, I could name the sunderland team and how they've been playing. Sure many could, no great insight I'm just a premier league fan

Well done you!! The point being im sure ronald and his staff know better than anyone on a fans forum so quite why people question so many of his selections ill never know especially after a win

Well done you!! The point being im sure ronald and his staff know better than anyone on a fans forum so quite why people question so many of his selections ill never know especially after a win

I think Cedric will be disappointed to be left out. Better than yoshida in all aspects of being a right back.

But it is what it is

I like Maya as a centre back I just can't see what he brings to the table that's better than Cedric at right back , Especially with the form Cedric has shown lately apart from keeping Maya happy what is the point ?

According to Adam Blackmore on Solent today allegedly Koeman told him that when he plays Mane out on the right he doesn't trust him to defend so he plays Yoshida because Cedric is left to exposed by Mane.

It wasn't a great game but it was never likely to be. Sunderland were hoping for a 1-0, and would have been satisfied with a 0-0. The first half was one of organisation from them, but very little adventure going forward. As a result, we controlled the game but were limited to half chances. We should have done better with the final ball but we weren't playing badly. Once we scored it was hard to justify going for a second when doing a pretty solid job defensively. Sunderland are a very poor side, but nevertheless Spurs, West Ham and Swansea have all gone to the Stadium and Light and struggled to come away with a win.

Edited by mrfahaji

Thought we did ok, BFS has to stop the rot, he knows we are dangerous and set out his stall accordingly, they did all they could to smother us when we got in the box, you could see his reaction when they gave away the penalty that the point he needed to start getting a bit if steel back in the side was about to vanish.

One of those games where we ground out a result.

See their Allardyce hoof ball style is starting to take shape.

Game today, they get the ball in defence, hoof and VvD heads it clear, we attack..... And repeat

Yes, in a way, Sam's hoof ball style took the pressure of our mid-field (none of whom played badly) and allowed us to marvel at VVD's command of the high ball.

I've seen the award of the penalty. How is that different from the Falcao:Stekelenberg one? It looks to me like Bertrand sees the sliding tackle coming, taps the ball and goes down before any contact. I'm happy with the win, but it looked like a dive to me...

That was a scarily dominate performance. VVD is immense.

I could get used to this.

"Dominant".

I had Bertrand down as MoM, excellent overlapping today and involved in lots of our play as everything went down the left for most of the game, didn't have many problems defensively either. Van Dijk was good too, until that stupid run in injury time which could have cost us. Equally annoyed at Pelle for his lack of corner-flagging in injury time, how often do players have to be coached on game management when we're one up in injury time FFS, Ward-Prowse did the right thing, straight off to the flag.

I've seen the award of the penalty. How is that different from the Falcao:Stekelenberg one? It looks to me like Bertrand sees the sliding tackle coming, taps the ball and goes down before any contact. I'm happy with the win, but it looked like a dive to me...

Because there was contact, and Bertrand waited until the tackle before shifting the ball away and taking the hit. I'd say it was more like Targett's foul on McClean which should also have been a penalty - and the foul on Remy today which also should have been. You chuck yourself into a tackle which impedes a striker you shouldn't even need to make contact if the player has to take evasive action. Then players wouldn't HAVE to fall over to get penalties for fouls committed on them.

Against a long ball team? I suspect Koeman wanted a bit more height in defence, it's not the first time he's done this.

As I heard the first 5 mins on Solent, I can confirm that one of the commentators had spoken to Koeman about this and been told that he picks Yoshida for more defensive ability when Mane is played at right midfield. i.e. he doesn't think Mane/Cedric is strong enough defensively down that side.

Fat Sam said Yoshis block was a pen. Moron.

To be fair, bfs did say straight off that the better side won. But that Yoshida penalty shout would have been ridiculous if given, the ball only travelled a yard before hitting him. It's not the f*cking matrix, and he's not neo.

It's worth praising the away record we're currently on.

6 unbeaten is the longest run we've had in the top flight since 1987, and only 4 conceded.

This after losing the last 5 away games last season

10 points in fixtures we only took 4 from last season (3 of those from SJP). Not counting Watford of course.

Because there was contact, and Bertrand waited until the tackle before shifting the ball away and taking the hit. I'd say it was more like Targett's foul on McClean which should also have been a penalty - and the foul on Remy today which also should have been. You chuck yourself into a tackle which impedes a striker you shouldn't even need to make contact if the player has to take evasive action. Then players wouldn't HAVE to fall over to get penalties for fouls committed on them.

Yep, found the commentator's matter-of-fact "there wasn't contact so it's not a penalty" a bit frustrating, in the same way pundits say "there was contact so he's entitled to go down there". :x

PS - it seems you are a stickler for accuracy, so I think it was McManaman not McLean ;-)

As I heard the first 5 mins on Solent, I can confirm that one of the commentators had spoken to Koeman about this and been told that he picks Yoshida for more defensive ability when Mane is played at right midfield. i.e. he doesn't think Mane/Cedric is strong enough defensively down that side.

But Mane and Tadic switched sides a couple of times.

If one of our players goes down and I think that it is a dive I would say so. That was no dive and none of the the TV pundits thought so either.

great win, well done Saints!! And another clean sheet, I reckon FF could struggle to get back in.

Well done to everyone who made the long trip, safe trip back.

Wasn't going to have a beer tonight, but I will now!!

I was quite a fan of Fabrice Fernandes too. But I think we need to accept that he ain't coming back.

Law 12 of the game covers that. You don't have to make contact for it to be a direct free kick/penalty. Sadly, it's rarely or sensibly enforced.

But Mane is nearly always playing on the right side of the attacking 3 ?

....although Koeman insists that we try to play the same style of football all the time, yesterday's team selection pointed to a more defensive approach to the match.

I still think that Yoshida is more comfortable at CB, but he didn't do much wrong yesterday.

Cedric does look good going forward, but it's lack of Prem.experience rather than skill that makes him vulnerable and being caught upfield.

Mané for all his qualities is not a natural defender and Yoshida did give the right side more cover.

The majority of Saints fans (in the poll) picked van Dijk as MoM (I did).... but the BBC guy wasn't far off in choosing Clasie who DAJFU and played his best so far.