Juve in for Pelle?

laughba

Could you just explain why it's 20m?

Who would you replace him with for that money. Are there any compatible players even available ?

It's not about the money, it's about what is best for the team.... Forget numbers on a page u less it's 50m. Even then we have seen teams squander 100m and not improved... Spurs and Liverpool to name two.. Though Spurs are improving now unDee Poch...

You need players and a team - money is - well, potentially worthless..

Wonder if we are looking to extend Pelle's contract now he is about halfway through?

If he has a good Euros as the Italy no9 it wouldn't massively suprise me if he moved to one of the big Italian sides. He would want to have ended his career with at least one good spell for a 'home' club, surely?

There's no doubt Pelle is in the form of his life and really playing well this season , certainly better than i thought he could . Normally I'd be all for extending his contract. However, we need to be careful . Last thing we want is a big earner, who is older , just tipping over the hill, especially if Ron is on his bike. We could get lumbered if the new man doesn't fancy him . Hopefully les and co are onto a replacement and we will get maximum money by selling at exactly the right time .

I'lld love us to bring in a player like Breel Embolo from FC Basel, once Pelle starts to dwindle. Then again that would be something mighty to pull off considering the players potential. Although on the other hand, he's very young (18) and very much would be a stab in the dark whether or not he'd do well in the premier league but we'd be his ideal stepping stone.

We couldn't afford to sell him at any price really at the moment IMO. Anyone good enough to replace him like for like would not only cost a fortune but would likely have wage demands beyond our current wage structure.

Really?

The number of fit & healthy young men in the world who are also remarkably adept at this football malarkey is substantial now and probably growing ever larger still as the game expands into far flung corners of the world. Few on here I suspect had heard of Pelle before he arrived, and when he goes (as he will one day) then he'll be probably be replaced by some other hotshot we don't yet know about.

With the possible exception of truly exceptional talents, such as MLT for example, players are like buses in the final analysis - i.e. there'll be another one along in a minute.

Having said that I must admit that - like others on here - this constant disruption of a (successful) squad our club seems doomed to undergo now every summer did concern me more than a little. However, I'm slowly coming round to the idea that what might call the 'SFC buy low/sell high' transfer policy makes a lot of sense for clubs in our situation - as long that is as our scouting network is still capable of unearthing the proverbial 'next big thing' reliably. This latter point is key to our clubs future prosperity.

Does it really matter if other teams are interested in any of our players? Take it as a compliment and move on. Ron has said, barring unforeseen circumstances, that he isn't looking to sign anyone in January. He would hardly let Pelle go without signing a replacement but not only that, he clearly sees Pelle, Tadic and Mane as our attack. Given that Pelle is pivotal in that role why sell just because a club is allegedly interested?

Right, so that's Pellè and Mané off in January. Anyone else?? Wanyama? Virgil? Bertrand?

Starting a bit early this year isn't it?

I started with this kind of list last summer. Obviously it didn't have Van Dijk on it, and I think Bertrand maybe knows the flipside too well to go.

FWIW, Pelle, Mane, Wanyama, Cedric and maybe Rodriguez and Tadic were probably on it at the time.

Like many other football clubs Juventus F.C. regularly record a loss. However, with a revenue of £254m last year (i.e. more than twice SFC's) I think it's safe to say that they could probably scrap a few Euro together if they really needed to.

Our lovely new tv deal money might have something to say about that...

Like many other football clubs Juventus F.C. regularly record a loss. However, with a revenue of £254m last year (i.e. more than twice SFC's) I think it's safe to say that they could probably scrap a few Euro together if they really needed to.

About the same as Liverpool then.

Indeed - and wouldn't it be nice if clubs decided not to spunk most of it on player wages and transfer fees this time.

They won't have any say in the matter, but on the bright side it'll probably take a couple of years until everyone already at Prem clubs has agitated themselves new contracts to match what clubs have given to the players they've lured from everyone else's Champions League sides.

On the bright side, Man City might then start stockpiling world class players instead of just academy prospects. Oh wait, that's the opposite of "on the bright side".

I started with this kind of list last summer. Obviously it didn't have Van Dijk on it, and I think Bertrand maybe knows the flipside too well to go.

FWIW, Pelle, Mane, Wanyama, Cedric and maybe Rodriguez and Tadic were probably on it at the time.

I would have thought Wanyama as the only definite. Mane probable, Pelle possible for next summer's exodus.

I would have thought Wanyama as the only definite. Mane probable, Pelle possible for next summer's exodus.

As I said, this was (my recollection of) my list from around the time we played Feyenoord pre-season. Wanyama and Mane won't be here next season, I am absolutely positive of that.

As I said, this was (my recollection of) my list from around the time we played Feyenoord pre-season. Wanyama and Mane won't be here next season, I am absolutely positive of that.

Yes, I think the only thing that can scupper a deal for Mane is that if we get Euro football and the deal isn't acceptable for the club (£30m minimum at a guess). Another factor is the how long Mane's contract has got to run - do you know?

Yes, I think the only thing that can scupper a deal for Mane is that if we get Euro football and the deal isn't acceptable for the club (£30m minimum at a guess). Another factor is the how long Mane's contract has got to run - do you know?

Assuming it was a four year contract about two and half years. Next summer would be the optimal time to cash in on him. Despite the rumours I can't see us selling him January.

Assuming it was a four year contract about two and half years. Next summer would be the optimal time to cash in on him. Despite the rumours I can't see us selling him January.

Gives a year for JRod to find his feet again, then us another year to replace JRod :)

As for Pelle, it would be lovely for a top player to actually see out their career with us. Forwards get such a cult following at clubs it is always them leaving which hurts the most. I was devastated when Lambert left as I thought we'd be his last club (although I can understand why he did) - arent there any decent players who want to play for their boyhood club Southampton..........

Really?

The number of fit & healthy young men in the world who are also remarkably adept at this football malarkey is substantial now and probably growing ever larger still as the game expands into far flung corners of the world. Few on here I suspect had heard of Pelle before he arrived, and when he goes (as he will one day) then he'll be probably be replaced by some other hotshot we don't yet know about.

With the possible exception of truly exceptional talents, such as MLT for example, players are like buses in the final analysis - i.e. there'll be another one along in a minute.

Having said that I must admit that - like others on here - this constant disruption of a (successful) squad our club seems doomed to undergo now every summer did concern me more than a little. However, I'm slowly coming round to the idea that what might call the 'SFC buy low/sell high' transfer policy makes a lot of sense for clubs in our situation - as long that is as our scouting network is still capable of unearthing the proverbial 'next big thing' reliably. This latter point is key to our clubs future prosperity.

This sums up nicely where we are at the moment. Whereas it is galling that we need to expect that players who have proved themselves to be effective and very capable at the highest level with us will wish to leave for the glory clubs, we are set up very nicely to address that situation. We are strong enough financially that we do not need to sell those players, so we have a strong hand in negotiations. The better the player, the more demand for their services from cash rich elite clubs, so the price can be inflated upwards until we reach a point whereby it is too good to refuse.

We have proved ourselves to be very adept with our scouting and black box technology at finding these previously undiscovered gems and turning them into World class players who are then coveted by the glory clubs here and in Europe. However, there is now only a small handful of clubs who are considered to be an upward move for an ambitious player employed by us in our current position and on the other hand, because of our recent skill at identifying those previously undiscovered gems and developing them so effectively, we are a good club for those ambitious players to join as a career move. Needless to say, our academy has been a destination of choice for the best youngsters for the past few years now and that position has been compounded still further since we invested heavily in improving its infrastructure and facilities.

Yes, it would be nice to keep those star players for longer, but there are hardly any clubs capable of doing that and it is arguably even more exciting to have that element of expectation when we unearth these players like Pelle, Mane, Tadic, Cedric, Van Dijk, etc and enjoy watching them whilst we can.

Long and the short of it is that we're in a very privileged position as a Prem club in having a wodge of cash, and if we identify a player with unfulfilled potential we have every possibility of being able to attract them ahead of all but the biggest CL and Prem clubs. That should help us keep the flow of talent coming from wherever we find it, though it'll get a lot harder if we can't establish ourselves before the rest of the League pull their fingers out and start doing the same.

For a 31 year old Pelle it's a fair price. We'd get the best years out of him and still make a profit, same as Lambert.

Difference is Pelle is looking better and better each game. Rickie was on noticeably on the way out when we sold him. We wouldn't be able to buy someone with the same goal return as Pelle for £10m, so there no point selling until he starts losing his form and fitness.

Difference is Pelle is looking better and better each game. Rickie was on noticeably on the way out when we sold him. We wouldn't be able to buy someone with the same goal return as Pelle for £10m, so there no point selling until he starts losing his form and fitness.

Hence we only got £4m for Lambert, which many people seemed outraged about at the time. I think he's scored about 3 goals in the 18 months since he left, including a penalty last week and a goal against some Bulgarian pub team.

I reckon he's got one more season of decent football in him. I'd take £10m next summer and reinvest it in the next Mané, Lovren or VvD.

It has to be an interesting question, though.

There must be an emotion in every player ....who wants to play in a Cup Final, get an international career, etc and when Pelle was rotting away in the Dutch league, he must have considered what it would be like to return to his homeland and play in that League. Coming to The Prem. must have been a complete surprise.

Now he is an international,(if only by default) and had his talent recognised. There must be a little longing in him, and the possibility to play for a top side.

Rickie Lambert was entitled to his chance at Liverpool, but a little of that Bible verse in the deal which says.."a prophet is never honoured in his own land "...

I'd like to see Pelle have the chance to fulfill yet another dream, but only after we we've got the best of the present deal...and another year ?

Seeing Graziano leave would destroy me. Obviously not as much as Adz, legend, and Rickie, another legend. I don't think I'm over them yet.

£10m for Grazi would be daylight robbery from Juve. I can see him wanting to head home though unfortunately.

Seeing Graziano leave would destroy me. Obviously not as much as Adz, legend, and Rickie, another legend. I don't think I'm over them yet.

£10m for Grazi would be daylight robbery from Juve. I can see him wanting to head home though unfortunately.

Well it's Premier League football, every single one of our players would leave if a big offer came in for them. It's pretty much like being destroyed if a bear sh*ts in the woods.

£10m would make him one of the most expensive 31 year olds of all time, hardly daylight robbery.

We'll need to replace him in a year or two anyway, and he probably will want to perform in Serie A before he retires. Could buy Wilson next summer when Bournemouth are probably relegated and he's fit again. Decent option to have anyway and hopefully he or Rodriguez could step up. Get Austin too, or Afobe. Nice to have a few English forwards.

It would concern me to have 2 strikers who have recovered from Cruciate Ligament problems. Are they ever quite the same again?

Would be very difficult to replace Pelle for under £30m, bloke is truly the mutt's nuts when in form. Love to see him give us a few more seasons

£30m to replace a player who cost £8m? He's a good player on his day but I wouldn't really say he's improved here as such.

He has probably got one more season in him (after this one) playing regularly at the highest level.