Today's 'atmosphere'

Saint Charlie

What the ****ing hell was that?

Worst ever at SMS IMO, especially first half, which is baffling seeing as we have a good team and were on a good run.

Easy to moan at the players for an undoubted poor performance, but the fans didn't deserve any more.

Koeman obviously noticed too, but was too polite to say it in strong terms.

Northam non existent first half.

Edited by Saint Charlie

It was terrible but no worse than Villa in the cup recently. It's definitely going down hill fast these days. A factor for our poor second half performances at home this season could have a lot to do with attacking the Chapel second half with just about no 'support', it's amazing how so many people can remain so quiet. It has to have an effect. But other than the first 10 minutes or so of the second half 'shooting' towards the Northam today, it was little different. We must have one the least intimidating stadiums around.

So the moaners on here were singing their hearts out whilst all around were silent?

Or were you waiting for someone else to start?

Or were you watching on a dodgy Internet stream ?

I was waiting for someone else to start. Thats what normally happens, right?

Not a blame game, collectively it was just awful!

Ah, so no one starts so you stay quiet. Wow how brave of you.

Ha, you obviously did the same as me also?

The number of fans who actually start songs is surely very, very low? The vast, vast majority join in. But there wasnt anything to join in with today.

Doesn't mean you can't say the atmosphere was awful - which it was.

I had a sore throat so just couldn't get going today, a bit like the team. Said so often Mason is a fraud; Long cannot start, and Tadic is the most infuriating player we have. The Northam was good for 15/20 minutes or so second half, but if we are quiet what about the other 20,000 or so???

Fans need something to cheer about , Stoke ensured we didn't , how Stoke didn't see 2 red cards and we didn't get a pen was a mystery . Their 26 spent the whole match trying to wrestle Pelle to the ground , numerous after the ball lunges took out a saint and the ref waves advantage ! We spent the whole match banging crosses that were easily dealt with etc Not the fans fault , bring back Shearer a player who could score from 30 yards out or the 6 yard box etc ....

Loads of tickets still on sale for that?

Just in the family area, to be fair the Northam and Itchen North sold out quickly for this which I hope reflects the appetite of fans to get involved and get the place rocking. I want to be going into the new year saving my Christmas money to buy up all of the Capital One Cup final special merchandise when we make it to Wembley

Fans need something to cheer about , Stoke ensured we didn't , how Stoke didn't see 2 red cards and we didn't get a pen was a mystery . Their 26 spent the whole match trying to wrestle Pelle to the ground , numerous after the ball lunges took out a saint and the ref waves advantage ! We spent the whole match banging crosses that were easily dealt with etc Not the fans fault , bring back Shearer a player who could score from 30 yards out or the 6 yard box etc ....

There were no red cards Stoke should have had.

The atmosphere was totally flat from the start, even before it was apparent we were not playing well, which is surely when the support is needed most.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Ha, you obviously did the same as me also?

But I didn't start a thread whinging about it.

The number of fans who actually start songs is surely very, very low? The vast, vast majority join in. But there wasnt anything to join in with today.

A lot of which are beyond moronic. "You're ****ing ****" probably takes it. And then the infantile infatuation with Pompey.

Doesn't mean you can't say the atmosphere was awful - which it was.

I agree, it was subdued today.

Pointless trying to start chants at St. Marys. Everyone is too interested in singing you're ****ing ****.

That was funny the first time, i believe it was away to United when we won 1-0? They were chanting something to that tune and we responded with that. It's awful in any other context though.

Maybe sending "naughty" letters had an impact seemed very subdued in the Itchen North yesterday

The whole atmosphere seemed weird from the start. No one seemed to know what to do with the whole National anthem thing *****il everyone just ended up clapping), still lots of empty seats at kick off, first half was flat on and off the pitch where the players were giving us very little to get excited about. The Stoke fans weren't much good either so no banter really got going. Second half we had a short spell in the Itchen North were some singing got going but as the players seemed to respond by playing even worse it just petered out in the end.

TBH when the highlight of the match is getting slightly amused by chants of "You're getting a letter in the morning" to a stoke fan who set off a smoke bomb you know it's been a crap day at the football.

The early goal didn't help - we do pragmatic football under Koeman; we don't do swashbuckling comebacks and the crowd knew it deep down. Stoke fans were poor value, not just the numbers; even after going a goal up, many seemed to be anticipating a response, so couldn't fully enjoy the occasion - guess that anxiety is part and parcel of supporting a counter attacking side. Either way, there was nothing to feed off. Plus it was cold.

Finally, the Northam seems increasingly filled with cretins - the loudest I heard them was at half-time when the two participants on the final leg of the relay race invariably slipped. Perhaps a cameo appearance from a Mars Bar might have made a difference...

Edited by shurlock

It cracks me up on here everyone laying the blame on the Chapel end. What a load of rubbish, there are pockets of singers down there but when you northern lot are in full flow against the away supporters you'll never hear them. They are spread out thinly across the entire end down there where as its concentrated in the Northam/kingsland corner and Block 1.

That's the difference in my opinion. Their early goal didn't help and we are nearly alway crap first game back after the international break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that was the case surely people would go to a concert and not a football match

This might be hard for you to get your head round, but give it a go anyway- basically some people go to games to both watch live football, and to be part of a decent atmosphere, which traditionally involves some noise and a variety of songs.

I was in black 43 and it was the worst atmosphere I have ever experienced as a saints fan. What really ****ed me off is I tried numerous times to start a song and got no backing apart from 2 knobs behind me who had there back to the whole game while they banged a beat on the facade. I gave up when I shouted knock knock and some fans did not understand... They did not know any chants. Maybe we can do something on this forum to help because as well as the first half performance yesterday that was embarrassing

Highlight was a mate of mine completely forgetting where he was sat and shouting you skate B*****D at Glen Johnson. Its safe to say that a lot of children learnt something from Saturday.

Probably only those who have not yet reached pre-school. Too many small children attend football anyway, doesn't do anything for the "atmosphere". With prices as they are 8 is by far young enough.

It must come as a bit of a shock for our recent foreign signings, and managers, at just how poor the atmosphere is inside St Mary's and every other English ground compared to the vibrant stadiums seen all over Europe and beyond.

Other than familiarity, there's little advantage for us playing at home these days, the players aren't exactly roared on and visiting teams really just get a free ride. When we're piling forward or have a corner the fans should be trying to rattle defenders. Of course, it's up to fans whether they sing or not, but it's not just about singing, just get a bit animated and make some noise. Hopefully a cup quarter final might wake a few up.

It must come as a bit of a shock for our recent foreign signings, and managers, at just how poor the atmosphere is inside St Mary's and every other English ground compared to the vibrant stadiums seen all over Europe and beyond.

Other than familiarity, there's little advantage for us playing at home these days, the players aren't exactly roared on and visiting teams really just get a free ride. When we're piling forward or have a corner the fans should be trying to rattle defenders. Of course, it's up to fans whether they sing or not, but it's not just about singing, just get a bit animated and make some noise. Hopefully a cup quarter final might wake a few up.

That's probably my biggest gripe; if an away defender makes a bad tackle or the ref makes a bad call, there is no response whatsoever from huge chunks of the ground. I'd never expect non stop singing, but if we're kicking towards the Chapel, needing a goal with 5 mins to go, there's nothing from that end.

These threads always follow a similar pattern.

OP complains about a poor atmosphere.

Respondents complain about OP's complaining.

OP asks the admittedly rhetorical, albeit reasonable question of whether having a noisy and energetic atmosphere in a football match is a good thing or a bad thing?

Respondents reply with attacks to a straw-man, responding with platitudes about the (obvious and never seriously disputed) fact that of course, people who pay for their match tickets are well within their right to sit down and watch the game without making a peep.

The issue of the quiet atmosphere at SMS is silenced and we all have to pretend that noise, energy and passion aren't actually good things.

It was a peculiar atmosphere from the beginning, I must admit. I'm in block 9 of the Itchen and a few times I joined in with the Northam to find I was about the only one singing, and given I'm middle-aged and wasn't in the choir at school feel a bit self-conscious on my own (plus only 1 pre-match pint..). It's not just the old who are quiet either, there's a dad and lad season ticket holders next to me who never make a sound.

Either way, I'm hoping for much better against Liverpool given that we'll have the floodlights and a degree of anonymity to get over our English reticence..

I put it down to being cold (for the first time this winter) and the crap display not warming anyone up. If we had scored early on as we should have, then who knows.....

Liverpool game - I hope that the usual ST holders around me are coming this time, as there seemed to be an awful lot of people who are more interested in taking selfies vs Villa.

The atmosphere at St Marys these days is pretty depressing, it' getting to the point where I don't even want to go anymore as being part of a lively atmosphere is half the fun for me. It's gradually got worse and worse over the last couple of years, sadly fan culture not just at Saints but generally in English football has all but disappeared. Where I am in Kingsland North used to be really good, but a lot of the time I'm the only one singing now. Something needs to be done but I don't know what.

The atmosphere at St Marys these days is pretty depressing, it' getting to the point where I don't even want to go anymore as being part of a lively atmosphere is half the fun for me. It's gradually got worse and worse over the last couple of years, sadly fan culture not just at Saints but generally in English football has all but disappeared. Where I am in Kingsland North used to be really good, but a lot of the time I'm the only one singing now. Something needs to be done but I don't know what.

Probably because many "real" fans have been priced out of football because of the ST dominated policies. If you've not got the wherewithal to be a ST fan then you may or may not get a ticket for individual games. Too many kids, too many women,

too many old fogies is all that the ST policy encourages.