Rank the Gaffers

Saint Charlie

.....*thinks*.....how many have a statue of themselves outside the stadium, how many have won a cup, how many got us promoted?

So it's Bates, Lawrie, Pards and Nige. Honourable mention to Pearson for keeping us up, and a slight liking (for no reason I can account for) for Wotte.

.....*thinks*.....how many have a statue of themselves outside the stadium, how many have won a cup, how many got us promoted?

So it's Bates, Lawrie, Pards and Nige. Honourable mention to Pearson for keeping us up, and a slight liking (for no reason I can account for) for Wotte.

Bit of a shame that anyone born after 1973 can't choose Bates. Never saw a match under him but there's no way you can leave him out. Just do top 7 based on their record as well as personal recollections I reckon.

1. McMenemy

2. Koeman

3. Adkins

4. Pochettino

5. Hoddle

6. Ball

7. Nichol

And for balance, the rankest gaffers in my lifetime:

1. Wigley

2. Redknapp

3. Sturrock

4. Wotte

5. Portvliet

6. Burley

7. Can't put anyone else in there tbf, Merrington at a push

1. McMenemy

2. Koeman

3. Adkins

4. Pochettino

5. Hoddle

6. Ball

7. Nichol

1. Wigley

2. Redknapp

3. Sturrock

4. Wotte

5. Portvliet

6. Burley

Can I be as bold as to suggest Branfoot

[quote=stknowle;2276270

1. Wigley

2. Redknapp

3. Sturrock

4. Wotte

5. Portvliet

6. Burley

You must be joking :(

Inherited a team abandoned by Bally (or was he pushed out by The Board, Bally claims they didn't want him to stay, and the money at Maine Road would have been a good incentive),

no money to invest in new players, little previous experience at managerial level, let alone top level ..... he still managed to keep us up.

Terribly treated by The Club whilst his wife was in a critical situation in hospital, yet still loves the club with a passion.

Edited by ericofarabia

Bates

McMenemy

Koeman

Strachan

Souness

Pearson

Ball

You have to look at the difficulties they faced as well as the results they achieved.

The 6-3 against (10 man) Utd aside, Souness was appalling. It was a miracle we stayed up under his incompetence, and that's not even considering Ali Dia (R.I.P.)

Chris Nicholl - following McMenemy was like following the Lord Mayor 's Show. He was on a hiding to nothing, but DAJFU and gave us some exciting goalscorers.

Strachan pulled us out of the mire and got us to a Cup Final (pity he played the wrong formation), Hoddle much the same - but without the Cup Final appearance.

My vote is for Alan Pardew who, even for the short length of his tenure brought Fonte and Lambert, started with -10 points and finished with a happy day at Wembley.

Nigel Adkins 2nd prize - for taking Pardew's team and streamlining it through two divisions, but Pochettino's "success " was an up-the-tempo version of Adkins' side.

Ronald Koeman is positive and likeable, but both he (and a lot of our fans) will be happier if we achieve " something big " - by the end of next season.

I liked Micky Evans too.

Micky Evans made 22 apps. which included 4 vital goals....that saved us from relegation, although Billy Sharp's 17 apps. and 9 goals ....gave us promotion.

Some times even the " bit players " have played an important role in our history.....and not to forget Marian Pahars contribution, too.

1. Lawrie

2. Adkins

3. Koeman

4. Strachan

5. Bally

6. Nicholl

7. Merrington

8. Souness

Worst

1. Portvelit

2. Wigley

3. Branfoot

4. Wotte

5. Gray

6. Redknapp

7. Jones

Not included hoddle as his treatment of Matty for England takes him off the best list.

1. Lawrie

2. Adkins

3. Koeman

4. Strachan

5. Bally

6. Nicholl

7. Merrington

8. Souness

Worst

1. Portvelit

2. Wigley

3. Branfoot

4. Wotte

5. Gray

6. Redknapp

7. Jones

Not included hoddle as his treatment of Matty for England takes him off the best list.

Can't argue with most of that but not sure how a few in the top list are better than Pochettino? Souness and Merrington for example?

Can't argue with most of that but not sure how a few in the top list are better than Pochettino? Souness and Merrington for example?

Surely we have to take some account of their operating circumstances. The chairman and club finances must also have played a big part in any perceived successes or failures.

Surely we have to take some account of their operating circumstances. The chairman and club finances must also have played a big part in any perceived successes or failures.

Of course. I just feel Pochettino changed the perception of the whole club at PL level, from an also ran everyone patronised to a club that is genuinely thought of as successful in its own way. A big achievement despite backing, plus he clearly improved a host of players.

Sturrock in the top 7? Brave call. Especially with no Pardew. Even Burley was surely better than Sturrock?

He was way out of his depth and probably his appointment set in motion our relegation.

He wasn't cut out to be a Premier League manager but he gave us some very memorable games, the 3-3 v Newcastle, beating Liverpool. That excellent game v Blackburn at the start of the next season. Blooding Folly, Griffit and Hall. The turning point was the summer but I will always feel he was a better option then Wigley which was the first nail in the coffin.

Pardew is a great shout, that day in Wembley will stay with us forever, but to miss out on the playoffs with that squad and the start to the following season? No, didn't make it.

Yeah Pardew ultimately underachieved that one season which cost his job.

The game Griffit scored on his debut was in the Strachan days though.

First game of the season Sturrock was fored was when Prutton and Niemi had a bust up on the pitch.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football%3A+TROUBLE'S+STURRING+AT+SAINTS%3B+Aston+Villa+2+Southampton+0...-a0120676822

Sturrock should never have been put in that situation to even be a PL Manager. A decent appointment then and we would have survived the following year insteead of going down IMO.

For that reason he has to go down as a big mistake and cannot make a list of top Gaffers for me. In fact I would rate him in the "slate" group. He had lost control of a solid group of players who didnt respect him.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Sturrock in the top 7? Brave call. Especially with no Pardew. Even Burley was surely better than Sturrock?

He was way out of his depth and probably his appointment set in motion our relegation.

We were erratic but played some exciting attacking football under Sturrock, his win percentage was 38% (slightly higher than Pochettino's and much better than many). I would mainly agree with Colinjb's list though would possibly have the Argentinian higher than 4 as we really seemed to be developing into something special whilst he was here.

1. Strachan

2. Adkins

3. Koeman

4. Pochettino

5. Hoddle

6. Ball

7. Pardew

I've gone with a mix of how good they are/what they achieved and how much I liked them. I guess it's more like a 'favourite managers' list (at the time obviously, since Poch wouldn't get near the list now!)

Ball gets the nod simply because of the brilliance we got to enjoy from Le Tissier while he was here. Even though Nicholl was in my lifetime (first game in 1990), I don't feel I can include him because I don't remember enough of his tenure.

1 - Lawrie Mac. Simply the best in my lifetime. 2nd in Div1. Legend. Signed my shirt when I was a nipper when he visited my school, St Pats.

2 - WGS. Made a consistent premier league footballer out of Paul Telfer! If only he stayed longer it could have been all so different.

3 - Ronald Koeman. Twice bounced back from player exoduses and still has us playing great football. I'll never forget Arnhem away either.

4 - Glenn Hoddle. Pains me to say it, but this is about the best, not personal preference, right? We were really good under Hoddle before he stitched us up.

5 - Chris Nicholl. Has his critics, but 6 years of keeping us in the top flight (just!) speaks volumes. Can take full credit for LeGod, Shearer, Wallaces, etc too.

6 - Nigel Adkins. Took us on THAT journey. What a ride! Find me a more positive, likeable and motivated manager anywhere.

7 - Alan Pardew. Honorable mention for taking us to Wembley. Such a special day. Would have ranked higher in this list if we'd gone up that year too.

Was only born in '76 so can't pick Ted Bates.

1 - Lawrie Mac. Simply the best in my lifetime. 2nd in Div1. Legend. Signed my shirt when I was a nipper when he visited my school, St Pats.

2 - WGS. Made a consistent premier league footballer out of Paul Telfer! If only he stayed longer it could have been all so different.

3 - Ronald Koeman. Twice bounced back from player exoduses and still has us playing great football. I'll never forget Arnhem away either.

4 - Glenn Hoddle. Pains me to say it, but this is about the best, not personal preference, right? We were really good under Hoddle before he stitched us up.

5 - Chris Nicholl. Has his critics, but 6 years of keeping us in the top flight (just!) speaks volumes. Can take full credit for LeGod, Shearer, Wallaces, etc too.

6 - Nigel Adkins. Took us on THAT journey. What a ride! Find me a more positive, likeable and motivated manager anywhere.

7 - Alan Pardew. Honorable mention for taking us to Wembley. Such a special day. Would have ranked higher in this list if we'd gone up that year too.

Was only born in '76 so can't pick Ted Bates.

Had Strachan achieved all he could with us though? I saw us as an organised, high tempo side with some quality, lucky that we had Beattie on fire for some time.

He certainly wouldn't have taken us down, but not sure we could have replicated what we did unless we had replaced Beattie with someone else who would have scored that kind of volume of goals.

Would say Koeman and Pochettino's teams have been much higher quality, but Strachan made 100% of what he had available and was a great guy.

He also knew the right time to leave.

Edited by Saint Charlie

In terms of memories they gave me, since I've supported Saints in the late 80's, it's:

Pardew, Adkins, Strachan, Koeman, Ball, Pochettino, Jones. For some reason I have strong memories of the Souness season too, but he misses the list.

Had Strachan achieved all he could with us though? I saw us as an organised, high tempo side with some quality, lucky that we had Beattie on fire for some time.

He certainly wouldn't have taken us down, but not sure we could have replicated what we did unless we had replaced Beattie with someone else who would have scored that kind of volume of goals.

Would say Koeman and Pochettino's teams have been much higher quality, but Strachan made 100% of what he had available and was a great guy.

I forgot to mention that WGS also ranked as high as he did in my list for his post-match comments too!

Pochettino purposely didn't make my top 7. My view is that Adkins did the hard work before his arrival & that he simply built on a solid foundation. Also he only had one gameplan, a very good one at that, but no plan-B whatsoever. It's no accident that we won no games after going a goal down during his reign. I was not disappointed to see him leave. Controversial, I know, but that's how I see it.

Agree. Strachan had lost it by the end as burley did. Which is why sturrock deserves a bit more credit tbh. Won 6 lost 7 is hardly bad.

I forgot to mention that WGS also ranked as high as he did in my list for his post-match comments too!

Pochettino purposely didn't make my top 7. My view is that Adkins did the hard work before his arrival & that he simply built on a solid foundation. Also he only had one gameplan, a very good one at that, but no plan-B whatsoever. It's no accident that we won no games after going a goal down during his reign. I was not disappointed to see him leave. Controversial, I know, but that's how I see it.

That Plan b stuff is a red herring IMO. What is Koeman's plan B? Can you clearly identify the plan A even?

Adkins did an ok job in the PL, Pochettino lifted us and some of the players to a different level. As he is doing with Spurs.

Did a very good job at Saints and transformed our perception in the PL which is hard to do.

I can't include porch , he is to blame for the start of our players leaving for bigger clubs as we had no ambition , I for one can't ever forgive him for unsettling our team which is continuing

That doesn't even make sense. If the Club ultimately wasn't ambitious enough for Poch or some of the players, how is that his fault?

He doesn't set the ambition level of the club or pay players the 3x salaries they were offered elsewhere?