Singing

Yorkshire Saint

Yep, utterly pointless. Atmosphere at a game is a lot more than just singing for the sake of singing.

It's keeping the atmosphere up when we go 2-1, or 3-1 down; it's properly getting on the refs back when every 50/50 goes against us; it's the team coming out in the 2nd half with the ground buzzing a bit and not a third empty. Singing a bit once 6-1 down does none of those things.

Agree with the ref / linesman bit, they definitely had it far too easy and we seemed hesitant to let them know how sh*t they were.

Agree with the ref / linesman bit, they definitely had it far too easy and we seemed hesitant to let them know how sh*t they were.

Oh FFS, we're not going to start having a go at the officials again are we? They did nothing wrong last night and were not the reason that we let in six goals. Give it a rest.

Oh FFS, we're not going to start having a go at the officials again are we? They did nothing wrong last night and were not the reason that we let in six goals. Give it a rest.

Wow really? I could list over a handful of awful decisions by the ref and the linesmen that clearly should have been given our way but weren't.

Wow really? I could list over a handful of awful decisions by the ref and the linesmen that clearly should have been given our way but weren't.

Yes, really. You must understand that they are not biased in the same way that you are. None of those decisions last night were anywhere near 'awful'. Find someone else to blame. Our defence for example.

Yep, utterly pointless. Atmosphere at a game is a lot more than just singing for the sake of singing.

It's keeping the atmosphere up when we go 2-1, or 3-1 down; it's properly getting on the refs back when every 50/50 goes against us; it's the team coming out in the 2nd half with the ground buzzing a bit and not a third empty. Singing a bit once 6-1 down does none of those things.

This. This. This. Singing the same song over and over when 6-1 down is not atmosphere it's gallows humour. Atmosphere should encourage the team and intimidate the opposition. Fortress St Mary's ? it's more like a rest home with the inmates having the occasional singalong for old times sake nowadays.

What about when we were attacking and the ref stopped play because of one of their players threw himself to the ground holding his face? Or the corner that bizarrely wasn't given while Tadic let the ball roll out? Or the numerous times Lovren/Skrtel went through the back of Pelle. Or allowing Sturridge to just stand in front of our defenders trying to take a quick free kick for as long as he wanted?

What about when we were attacking and the ref stopped play because of one of their players threw himself to the ground holding his face? Or the corner that bizarrely wasn't given while Tadic let the ball roll out? Or the numerous times Lovren/Skrtel went through the back of Pelle. Or allowing Sturridge to just stand in front of our defenders trying to take a quick free kick for as long as he wanted?

Possible head injury. The referee can take no chances with that.

Maybe, just maybe, it wasn't a corner?

All I saw was Pellè flying backwards into their defenders.

Sturridge tried it once and was then warned off.

Possible head injury. The referee can take no chances with that.

Maybe, just maybe, it wasn't a corner?

All I saw was Pellè flying backwards into their defenders.

Sturridge tried it once and was then warned off.

How would he have got a head injury? It was clearly a corner, fairly easy to see. And you don't think Pelle gets battered?

Plus plenty of other 50/50 decisions throughout the game.

But regardless of all that, you're missing the original point.

You would never have guessed it was a quarter final last night in the Itchen North at least where i was, can't speak for Northam/Kingsland, there was me thinking a quarter final against Liverpool under the lights could have been good. Came in late missing the first goal, and even when we were 1-0 up the vast majority around me were standing in silence like cardboard cutouts.

Sad to see what's happened to our support really.

After the Lovren is a see you next Tuesday song the lady in front walked out taking her son with her. She was fuming and her son (around 1o years old) upset about leaving. Call me old fashioned but even I thought it over stepped the mark in my opinion. Support the team ffs.

That's her prerogative, but the fact she upset the kid more than the singing did suggests her priorities are not with his general wellbeing as much as her desire to appear offended.

You would never have guessed it was a quarter final last night in the Itchen North at least where i was, can't speak for Northam/Kingsland, there was me thinking a quarter final against Liverpool under the lights could have been good. Came in late missing the first goal, and even when we were 1-0 up the vast majority around me were standing in silence like cardboard cutouts.

Sad to see what's happened to our support really.

Around me in Block 41 there were a lot of part-timers in the seats of ST holders where people couldn't make it, most of whom left when the 4th or 5th went in - but the atmosphere was pretty good until the 3rd, and picked up loads for the last 15 minutes with the Northam doing the high tempo clapping version of OWTS and after the final whistle.

Before that you could tell there were more kids at the back of the Northam as every slow OWTS degenerated at the end of the first verse not the second, and people were all over the place with it. Though by the end the regulars were board-banging in time to keep the song going.

Overall I thought the support was better than for most home games this season, which is saying something given the score - though there is a bit of that "may as well make noise" thing when teams are getting humped.

Around me in Block 41 there were a lot of part-timers in the seats of ST holders where people couldn't make it, most of whom left when the 4th or 5th went in - but the atmosphere was pretty good until the 3rd, and picked up loads for the last 15 minutes with the Northam doing the high tempo clapping version of OWTS and after the final whistle.

Before that you could tell there were more kids at the back of the Northam as every slow OWTS degenerated at the end of the first verse not the second, and people were all over the place with it. Though by the end the regulars were board-banging in time to keep the song going.

Overall I thought the support was better than for most home games this season, which is saying something given the score - though there is a bit of that "may as well make noise" thing when teams are getting humped.

There were also a lot of Liverpool supporters in the home areas, most of whom did a good job of keeping very quiet, that doesn't help either. I gather it kicked off a bit in the Itchen concourse at half-time with some closet bindippers, though personally I did not see anything as I was in my seat throughout the 73 minutes of the game including the half-time interval.

Griffo - Your comment "Don't need people like that supporting us. They don't add anything to the support. Hope she's put off for life".

That just about sums up the mentality of some of you so called fans who think it acceptable to shout out the word C U N T in a stadium with lots of kids around. That's one 10 year old fan who wont be back in a hurry. Booing Lallana after all he did for our club continues to show how pathetic some of you are. We must have come across as a right bunch of knobs on national telly last night. Singing about Pompey when playing Liverpool - how ****e. Our support is atrocious and I was at City on Saturday and our support was again awful. We're ever dead quiet or abusing opposing players/teams. Very rarely constructive. I sympathise fully with the original poster.

Enjoyed making a bit of noise in the last 15 minutes once all the part timers had buggered off, was more like the atmospheres we got in L1 again. Would much rather have 20,000 in the stadium creating an atmosphere than 30,000 cardboard cutouts and less noise than a library.

Absolutely my thoughts. Made me question how much i enjoy going to football now in all honesty.

Griffo - Your comment "Don't need people like that supporting us. They don't add anything to the support. Hope she's put off for life".

That just about sums up the mentality of some of you so called fans who think it acceptable to shout out the word C U N T in a stadium with lots of kids around. That's one 10 year old fan who wont be back in a hurry. Booing Lallana after all he did for our club continues to show how pathetic some of you are. We must have come across as a right bunch of knobs on national telly last night. Singing about Pompey when playing Liverpool - how ****e. Our support is atrocious and I was at City on Saturday and our support was again awful. We're ever dead quiet or abusing opposing players/teams. Very rarely constructive. I sympathise fully with the original poster.

Our support is atrocious like you say, because we have more and more people like that women going to away games in particular it seems, going to football to stand in silence and be outraged at men swearing. You might hear naughty words at football, if it's that traumatic for your ears, maybe the women in question is better suited to other entertainment outlets like ten pin bowling or the cinema.

No wonder our support is w*nk when we have people complaining about swearing. I was told as a kid not to repeat it at home. Simple. I make sure I stand behind children at away games and shout the most disgusting stuff that comes to mind.

Football is a passionate game, if you honestly believe 'shouting a word' makes you less of fan then how precious must you be?! If you're offended by 'naughty words' sit in the family section where bad language is no more common than walking down the high street. If you take a child towards the more expressive stands just explain that those words aren't to be repeated- many posters on here will agree that it works. The woman over-reacted massively. Children will find these words out, take that from someone who works in various schools around the south- older siblings being the main culprits of where they've picked it up. It's no different to what you would get at every other football ground.

As for Lallana, I suppose if I threatened strike at my job and acted a prat they'd all welcome me back with open arms. He burned his bridges the moment he signed that Liverpool kit and responded to the question "Are you joining Liverpool?" with "Hopefully". As for the choice of songs, maybe have a pop at the board for selling all fan favorites who had regular songs, what's the point on putting the effort to create a new song when they'll be sold a year or two later.

We need a few less supporters like this bloke and that woman. Our support was much better in the lower leagues.

I still feel we have an opportunity here, if nothing else an agreed "singing area" and from there a "committee" to come up with songs. As crazy and as clinical as it may seem I am sure the club would support a more innovative approach than such a negative experience we are now experiencing and like some above, makes me question coming to games...the atmosphere IS the buzz aka Milton road.

I assume all these moaning about the atmosphere were all doing their bit to create one? Strange there's so many of these atmosphere experts. Why don't you all get together and make an ultras stand?

The atmosphere hasn't been great this season. That isn't a Southampton problem, it's a general PL problem. I thought the atmosphere was good for the first 30 mins and the last 15 last night.

I enjoy a good old fashioned OWTS that goes on for ages. Liverpool fans tried to drown it out various times and failed, resulting in them applauding us on the way out.

He's right. Who gives a f**k what someone shouts at a football match.

I assume all these moaning about the atmosphere were all doing their bit to create one? Strange there's so many of these atmosphere experts. Why don't you all get together and make an ultras stand?

The atmosphere hasn't been great this season. That isn't a Southampton problem, it's a general PL problem. I thought the atmosphere was good for the first 30 mins and the last 15 last night.

I enjoy a good old fashioned OWTS that goes on for ages. Liverpool fans tried to drown it out various times and failed, resulting in them applauding us on the way out.

Yep, trying to get basic songs going, why on earth do we need to create an Ultras end to do that. Weird.

As a kid I was quite timid at games and would wait for others to chant and then join in. So perhaps with the youngsters there's a bit of that (although irrelevant in the upper-centre of Block 42, as I'm about half the age of most around me).

These days I don't give a toss - if I want to sing, I bloody well will - even if that's on my own, or accompanied by just a couple of people in the vicinity. Sadly that's increasingly the case in what's historically been the most vocal area of the ground. Granted, there were less regulars than for a league match, but at present it's the same no matter what at St. Mary's.

The atmosphere's a large percentage of the experience for me and pays a significant contribution towards a matchday's value for money. How many times did we help (however small the percentage) turn a game on its head when grinding out results in League One and the Championship? How much better a day out was it for that?

Almost as frustrating as this topic rearing its head increasingly often is members calling those that miss a decent atmosphere 'super fans' and saying "Well sing then". I am. We are. But seemingly 'we' are fewer and fewer. That's sad.

Said it before and I'll say it again. For a song to spread it has to be relatively slow with at least one longish note for people to latch on to. How many of ours spread more than a couple of blocks. If we're lucky (and including a few old ones)

OWTSGMI Slow version

We're by far the greatest team

When I was just a little boy

Lallana Song (or anything to Sloop John B)

Marion Pahars (or anything to that tune)

Dusan Tadic

All fit the above criteria. Chants or fast songs simply can't spread, acoustic effects make it near impossible to get in time if more than a couple of blocks away. Wembley for th JPT was weird, the same song seemed to come from two different directions and got killed before it got going.

Same with other clubs, thinking of some of the classic football songs

YNWA

Blowing bubbles

Delilah (Stoke, what's that all about?)

Blue Moon

Take your pick from a dozen ManU songs

Hate to say it but PUP

Was good to hear We Nottingham Forest..... on Wednesday even it wasn't coming from us

All slowish, at least one longish note to latch onto and tend to spread around the grounds.

The only fast song I can think of, (which shouldn't have been a fast one anyway but the backboarders made it so) that spread was the Ricki Lambert one, and even that most were just la-la-la-ing to the tune.

Don't ask me for suggestions, i haven't got any, but if we want to hear singing around the ground slow with long held note9s) are what's required. Oh, and easy to remember words.

It's nothing to do with number or songs or speed of songs. Simply, not enough people are ars*d about supporting the club anymore and the demographic of people that follow us has completely changed.

I'd say it's a mixture of both. Doesn't matter if half the ground want to sing it's hard to for them all to join in with a fast song as it's over before it reaches them (how many times are Blocks 38/39 and 1/2/3 singing together?). BUT you're right as well, too many nowadays just can't be arsed.

BTW even the demographics don't always fit. My wife was sat with me on Wednesday. Female, old(ish) - she won't be reading this I hope - occasional visits. She joined in with loads of songs, seemed to be loving Lovren You're a ****, she had no idea who Lovren was but was joining in anyway :lol:

It's nothing to do with number or songs or speed of songs. Simply, not enough people are ars*d about supporting the club anymore and the demographic of people that follow us has completely changed.

It has to be acknowledged though that this is a problem throughout the league, not just with us. Everton, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, City, United, S'land, Stoke, Villa etc. Atmospheres at all those grounds is abysmal for 99% of games.

Football clubs are doing everything they can to drive away the very people that create the atmosphere. High ticket prices, bubble trips, antisocial kick off times, over zealous stewarding. The fewer ****ed up lads there are at games, the easier it is for them to police.

Regarding Saints specifically, the days of us singing for current players should be over. We all know they don't give a **** about SFC, so the focus should be on songs about the club or on former legends, not on singing about the "mighty Kenyan" who would do anything he could to get a move away

why on earth do we need to create an Ultras end to do that. Weird.

Woosh.

Anyway, seems to be a lot on here who want to sing, so clearly there's an appetite.

We need more songs. With so many crowd favourites leaving/long term injury we have less than I've ever known. Address that and it'll help.

One of the best player songs we've had for years was Lambert's. That started at an away game and with a song sheet. Sad I know, but it worked.

There are some fans who make an effort with new songs, usually started at away games but then it seems impossible to get it going at home. Vitesse game was where the wanyama mighty Kenyan song really took off.. 20 mins in the 2nd half sung loud and well. Tried a few times at home and it's just abysmal. Sung too fast. Etc. Not helped by the fact he's not playing particularly well right now. And we might only have a month, 6 at best to enjoy singing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been in the northam since st Mary's opened, the first four seasons were probably the best there's been for the northam. It was also at this point fully stood, from the first row to the last, and adult only (not sure when that changed) it was the archers on a larger scale.

I've seen it change, the folk around us have given up season tickets due to costs and more and more families have come in.

Obviously having families in grounds is a good thing but it's definitely hurt the atmosphere.

Also those of us that are there are getting older. That's not to say we don't still make a racket but it's lacking in the teenage groups of lads as there's nowhere for them to go because us older lot still have season tickets.

The sad truth is atmosphere is largely dying out on England's top flight, we can say what we want in ways of excuses but the passion from the stands isn't what it was.

On Wednesday people berated the players for not giving enough but also left early.

You get what you give. And like someone said previously that 20k that stayed to the end and sing our hearts out are what we need, not the 10k that left when the game wasn't over.

I've been in the northam since st Mary's opened, the first four seasons were probably the best there's been for the northam. It was also at this point fully stood, from the first row to the last, and adult only (not sure when that changed) it was the archers on a larger scale.

I've seen it change, the folk around us have given up season tickets due to costs and more and more families have come in.

Obviously having families in grounds is a good thing but it's definitely hurt the atmosphere.

Also those of us that are there are getting older. That's not to say we don't still make a racket but it's lacking in the teenage groups of lads as there's nowhere for them to go because us older lot still have season tickets.

The sad truth is atmosphere is largely dying out on England's top flight, we can say what we want in ways of excuses but the passion from the stands isn't what it was.

On Wednesday people berated the players for not giving enough but also left early.

You get what you give. And like someone said previously that 20k that stayed to the end and sing our hearts out are what we need, not the 10k that left when the game wasn't over.

I agree in terms of home support the PL seems to be pretty awful across the board.

But in terms of away support i'd disagree, think quite a few clubs in the PL still have fairly decent away followings.

Totally agree.

I used to go to the Dell all the time as a kid, I barely missed a game. Then, one game, a bunch of lads in the Milton end started a song I hadn't heard before.

"My old man", they began...

"said be a Pompey fan".

I'll admit, I wondered where the song was going at this point, but I listened on in wonderment. Imagine my horror when I heard the next words spat forwards from their vulgar mouths. I can barely bring myself to type it out, such is the distress it still causes me to this day.

"Eff of, balls, you're a c-word"

is the nicest way I can put it. Terrible behaviour and I won't go back until the C U N T word, as you put it, is eradicated.