Singing

Yorkshire Saint

2 weeks running our support by way of songs has been atrocious.

Yes this will receive criticism but I pay my Money so I will have my say.

Last week v Stoke I tried to start many a song and to be perfectly frank no one around me knew any songs bar OWTS. It's getting embarrassing. City fans today had many different songs and fair play they were good for banter but our singing is getting embarrassing ... The players need it, Shane Long even waved his arms at us when he scored as if to say wake up......

How do we solve this ... A bloody song sheet aka Spurs ? I understand the turnover of players does not help but Christ, it ****es me of when we snag more in the X course than in the stands .....

Solution please ...

By the way I was talking to a city employee and they were piping ether music of the fans next to us around the ground ?!

Last week v Stoke I tried to start many a song and to be perfectly frank no one around me knew any songs bar OWTS. It's getting embarrassing. City fans today had many different songs and fair play they were good for banter but our singing is getting embarrassing ... The players need it, Shane Long even waved his arms at us when he scored as if to say wake up......

How do we solve this ... A bloody song sheet aka Spurs ? I understand the turnover of players does not help but Christ, it ****es me of when we snag more in the X course than in the stands .....

Solution please ...

By the way I was talking to a city employee and they were piping ether music of the fans next to us around the ground ?!

There is no solution, football is changing, and you can't make people sing if they don't want to. People just need to go to games do what they want to do and stop worrying about being embarrassed about things they have no control over....like other fans not singing.

Solution please ...

I think it's been on the decline since our first season back. It suddenly got worse last year as we immediately lost some of our songs once the players left (Lambert, Lallana, Shaw) and seem slow to create new ones until the tune has been heard/seen on Youtube being sung by Man Utd fans in a pub.

It's starting to get embarrassing following us away from home. Our away ends are just full of people standing there not supporting the team. All that got going yesterday was half arsed attempts at OWTS. Looking around me, people may as well have been at the cinema or theatre.

Can't think of many quieter away followings in the Premier League than ours.

City were alright yesterday, better than a lot of the big clubs when we play them.

Agreed, too many fans there that just seem to be admiring how nice the stadiums are, not bothered in getting behind the team, too many day trippers.

Thanks for some of the more logical responses. I don't get embarrassed over things I can not control but small steps and all that, if we identify the problem then maybe we can find a solution .....

Player turnover, I agree is a factor...

Song for Stek, No

Fraser, mmmm

Song for Bert, No not really

Fonte, yes

Virgil, No

Maya, No

Vedic, No

Victor...Yes

Davis, Just

JWP, Yes

Tadic and Pelle Yes

Classie No

Mane at a push but it's all repeated name crap the same with others I have missed

Not many truly unique songs in there, with a set of lyrics aka Rickie Lambert Southampton goal machine.....

On top of that in the last few games all we have had OWTS, who the **** is laughing now...

I tried to get wings of a sparrow, knock knock, everywhere we go, Ronald koemans red and white army, go down pub, strawberry grower going and people don't know what I'm on about.....

Maybe we can have a thread just to generate or reintroduce some songs...as above I ought city fans were good for there banter and song originality, I also agree we are as bad as it gets and it's such a shame v Hartlepool away on a Tuesday night in league one.

All I am saying is if we are truly together as one, this is a forum and I'm up for an original solution ...lets be a bit innovative on this not ***** about it, we all want the same thing

Last point great to see stewards not making fans sit sown anywhere at city yesterday and I thought everything was a truly positive experience yesterday apart from the score. Mane MOM

Thanks for some of the more logical responses. I don't get embarrassed over things I can not control but small steps and all that, if we identify the problem then maybe we can find a solution .....

Player turnover, I agree is a factor...

Song for Stek, No

Fraser, mmmm

Song for Bert, No not really

Fonte, yes

Virgil, No

Maya, No

Vedic, No

Victor...Yes

Davis, Just

JWP, Yes

Tadic and Pelle Yes

Classie No

Mane at a push but it's all repeated name crap the same with others I have missed

Not many truly unique songs in there, with a set of lyrics aka Rickie Lambert Southampton goal machine.....

On top of that in the last few games all we have had OWTS, who the **** is laughing now...

I tried to get wings of a sparrow, knock knock, everywhere we go, Ronald koemans red and white army, go down pub, strawberry grower going and people don't know what I'm on about.....

Maybe we can have a thread just to generate or reintroduce some songs...as above I ought city fans were good for there banter and song originality, I also agree we are as bad as it gets and it's such a shame v Hartlepool away on a Tuesday night in league one.

All I am saying is if we are truly together as one, this is a forum and I'm up for an original solution ...lets be a bit innovative on this not ***** about it, we all want the same thing

Last point great to see stewards not making fans sit sown anywhere at city yesterday and I thought everything was a truly positive experience yesterday apart from the score. Mane MOM

I'm with ya most of the way but ffs singing that has gotta be more embarrassing than sitting in silence :lol:

Fingers crossed we get to a cup final soon but what kind of atmosphere would there be in amongst our lot? There were 55,000 Saints fans at the JPT but very little singing tbh.

Hadn't expected to be standing the whole game yesterday, that was a bonus (although the fecking idiot who was stood next to me was a pain in the arse).

I'm a bit surprised about your comments about the singing. OK, so I'm a bit of an away day tourist, yesterday was first proper away game for a good many years, and yes I took some photos, but thats what getting a new generation involved is all about, my daughter enjoyed it all. But I did a a lot of singing yesterday, several renditions (admittedly rather poor) of OWTS, but also Fathers Gun, Johnstone paint trophy and many others. I actually wish we could stop singing Pompey songs, what the **** is the point of singing about hating a level 4 tin pot club when you are in Manchester playing a CL team? Really.

It seems that people overlook the obvious when trying to account for the lack of singing. It was dead quiet because we were playing shockingly awful. Got better 2nd half when we played some decent stuff and had a chance to get back to 2-2, but people don't much feel like singing when the team are not performing. Its also difficult to sing and at the same time shout "Yoshida you useless fecking cuint" over and over again.

Youngish (at least by my standards) guy stood behind me yesterday made me laugh, joined in the singing but clearly had no idea of many of the words, enjoyed calling Tadic a useless **** and then immediately followed up by chanting his name. Still, each to his own, at least he was enthusiastic.

I only get to a few away games, and I am surprised at the number of middle aged and over fans.

When I was in my teens and twenties, I went home with a sore hoarse throat from every game,

Now I'm nearly seventy I may sing the odd verse of OWTSGMI, for old times sake, I'm certainly not going to sing anything else,

most especially the "Shoot the Pompey Scum" song, which is Ok a couple of times as a joke, but is pathetic (imo) whe nsung over and over again.

I did rather like the "Is this a library?" sung at Arsenal last year though. That showed some wit, but I don't know who originated it.

When I was young it cost 5-10 shillings (25 to 50p) to watch a game, and it was a game anybody could afford to watch.

Now when the cost of watching a game, transport and a drink and a snack is about £50 each,it is hardly surprising that those with the disposable income to attend don't want to sing.

After the Lovren is a see you next Tuesday song the lady in front walked out taking her son with her. She was fuming and her son (around 1o years old) upset about leaving. Call me old fashioned but even I thought it over stepped the mark in my opinion. Support the team ffs.

After the Lovren is a see you next Tuesday song the lady in front walked out taking her son with her. She was fuming and her son (around 1o years old) upset about leaving. Call me old fashioned but even I thought it over stepped the mark in my opinion. Support the team ffs.

To be fair, I was laughing. Then it all went to sh*t.

What do people expect at a football match?? Polite clapping and a choir? Christ.

[emoji23] silly old bint.

My 10 year old didn't know what to do. I could tell he wanted to laugh but probably thought I would be cross with him so didn't. In the end he sort of smirked at me and I rolled my eyes. Thankfully the 6 year old was oblivious. I was quite glad he didn't turn round and ask me what a "****" was.

S**t support from us. Booing at half time, no effort to lift the side when a goal down, no serious effort at getting on the backs of a terrible lino/ref every time they wrongly gave a decision against us. Imagine similar at somewhere like Stoke or Swansea?

Thought our support was fab tonight.

S**t support from us. Booing at half time, no effort to lift the side when a goal down, no serious effort at getting on the backs of a terrible lino/ref every time they wrongly gave a decision against us. Imagine similar at somewhere like Stoke or Swansea?

Yep, rubbish support. Barely heard us after their second. The most passionate any of our fans got was after they equalised and people started ragging off at the plastic scousers celebrating in the Itchen.

Don't need people like that supporting us. They don't add anything to the support. Hope she's put off for life.

The owts for the last 15 mintes (once the plastics had gone) was the best I've heard for a while when we've been losing, continued as Liverpool's sixth went in...

I have a season ticket in Block 39 and sing my heart out every gsme. It was my first ever time in hospitality tonight and I genuinely thought we were decent. The OWTSGMI from Block 38/39 was loud and constant for the last 20 mins atleast! Ofcourse a bouyant travelling support drowned us out occasionally but all in all I thought we were great!

Decided to turn up when the game was already over.

Yep, utterly pointless. Atmosphere at a game is a lot more than just singing for the sake of singing.

It's keeping the atmosphere up when we go 2-1, or 3-1 down; it's properly getting on the refs back when every 50/50 goes against us; it's the team coming out in the 2nd half with the ground buzzing a bit and not a third empty. Singing a bit once 6-1 down does none of those things.