Yoshida

9-3

Not really been watching it cos I'm at work, but it seems as though Japan have had by far the most of the game so far, while Qatar have been mostly crap but have scored with their only two shots on goal.

Qatar were much better first half, Japan never looked like scoring. Second half is all Japan but still don't really look like scoring, they have a cycle of half decent through ball -> defender puts it out for a corner -> crap floated corner is cleared.

Of course, as I'm writing this Japan score! 2-1 - first goal Qatar have conceded all tournament.

I can't believe the ref gave that after a VAR review. That's nonsense.

He won the ball with his head and there's no way he could have got his arm out of the way after the ricochet.

That's the problem with VAR, only as good as the referees who looks at it.

I can't believe the ref gave that after a VAR review. That's nonsense.

He won the ball with his head and there's no way he could have got his arm out of the way after the ricochet.

It was a bad decision. His arms were out for balance as he jumped for a cross, and it was very much ball to hand.

I think alot of you forget how many mistakes Yoshi has made always one a game in him and he cannot pass or drive out of defence like Jack; his headiong out is often weak as well. In a nutshell he gives me the jitters every time he plays.

And you're ignoring the fact that he has always improved significantly following a sustained run in the team, and that he was just coming into really good form for us before going off to the Asian Cup.

He is a far better option than JS at the moment.

I think alot of you forget how many mistakes Yoshi has made always one a game in him and he cannot pass or drive out of defence like Jack; his headiong out is often weak as well. In a nutshell he gives me the jitters every time he plays.

He's far better in the air than JS, has better positioning, is quicker, puts his body on the line far more and is more of a leader/organiser.

He does get very rusty without games, but over a season (or any 3+ game run) he is a superior player.

Great that he's back!

He's far better in the air than JS, has better positioning, is quicker, puts his body on the line far more and is more of a leader/organiser.

He does get very rusty without games, but over a season (or any 3+ game run) he is a superior player.

Great that he's back!

Pretty much this. He isn't quite as good on the ball but that is about it. He was sensational away at Chelsea and expect he'll be back in the side against Arsenal. Not sure Ralph will put him straight back in on Saturday.

His primary role is to defend and Yoshi is streets ahead of Stephens in that respect.

Good to see him in today's pics. Looks a bit shell shocked, jet-lagged probably but hope he will feature on Saturday. Ryan looks a bit disillusioned, hope he is not losing heart. Please play him at the weekend Alpine Klopp.

Another great new signing announced on the O/S today.............. Who he?

Maybe so, but in an ideal world both would be on the bench as back up. Sadly it is not an ideal world.

Indeed. It was not so long ago we had the likes of Fonte, Toby, Lovren and VvD in these roles. Now it’s a question of the best options with what we have at our disposal.

• 11 months later...

Trabzonspor linked with a move for Yoshida:

Asist Analiz claim Trabzonspor have identified Southampton central defender Maya Yoshida as a target in this window.

The Turkish club are looking to sign a central defender this month after struggling for clean sheets so far this season.

It’s reported the Japanese defender is an option for the Trabzon side and the 31 year old is also looking to leave the Premier League club.

Yoshida hasn’t started a game in the league for Southampton since the end of October, and Asist Analiz report he wants to leave the club to get regular first-team football elsewhere.

Saints’ boss Ralph Hassenhüttl has in recent weeks been preferring the likes of Jan Bednarek and Jack Stephens ahead of him, so he may need to move on in this transfer window to avoid his career stagnating.

Yoshida has made 11 appearances in all competitions for the Premier League club this season and his contract will expire in the summer.

However, Southampton have the option to extend his current deal for a further year.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-targeting-southampton-defender-january-transfer-player-wants-leave-play/

About time he went, never been good enough, don’t buy the whole “great servant” thing, no one else wants him.

Been a great squad player, happy fulfilling that role (which is rare in todays game) and has stepped up time and again when called upon. Most notably when VVD got injured/Fonte left and Yoshida/Stephens covered the rest of the season and steadied the ship. I think hes been an excellent servant.

Been a great squad player, happy fulfilling that role (which is rare in todays game) and has stepped up time and again when called upon. Most notably when VVD got injured/Fonte left and Yoshida/Stephens covered the rest of the season and steadied the ship. I think hes been an excellent servant.

Can’t argue with that to be fair, but there must be better out there now surely?

Spot on, consummate pro and by all accounts a really nice guy. If he goes, wish him well.

I was hoping he’d stay for a couple more season to complete 10 years in the Premier league, joint testimonial with James Ward-Prowse, current Saints v Premier league era XI.

I remember the calamity of his debut coming on away to Arsenal in 6-1 defeat , didn’t seem to know where to stand to defend a corner, not surprising when he had Jos Hooveld, Danny Fox and Kelvin flapper Davis alongside him at that game.

Been a great buy for a low fee.

Agree - really stepped up during Puel and MP’s time at the club. Things could have been a lot worse without him.