Yoshida

9-3

Poor fella plays so intermittently as it is, then he's put on against Man City away with very little match practice and he's castigated. He's a decent back up player and teams at our level in the PL don't have many decent back up defenders they can call upon.

However, (assuming he was fit) it does highlight that Koeman appears to has no faith in Martina.

he has always been a liabilty at full back. finally, the masses on here are accepting that

an aboslute mystery why Koeman trusts him there so much

The masses have always known he was s liability at RB, from his first game. He is though perfectly good as CB, have no problems when he plays in his proper position.

Agree that Yoshi is not a suitable RB but neither, so it seems is Martina

He can't deny responsibility for City's first goal or the mistake v Utd

However he wasn't given much protection from whoever was playing right side of midfield on Saturday

We do need to look at improving cover at RB in January

I'm sure Koeman considered his tendencies to screw up as a full back when selecting Maya. Speaks volume of our RBs in waiting.... Turd-tastic...

Agree with many here that Maya's still decent as CB. We need a decent RB cover now and for Cedric to work on his defensive game.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Agree that Yoshi is not a suitable RB but neither, so it seems is Martina

He can't deny responsibility for City's first goal or the mistake v Utd

However he wasn't given much protection from whoever was playing right side of midfield on Saturday

We do need to look at improving cover at RB in January

The mistakes he makes have little to do with the need to protection though. I don't know what he was trying to do for the first goal on Saturday and as has been said where the hell was he for the third? His back pass against United was also down to his poor concentration. He shouldn't be starting.

The mistakes he makes have little to do with the need to protection though. I don't know what he was trying to do for the first goal on Saturday and as has been said where the hell was he for the third? His back pass against United was also down to his poor concentration. He shouldn't be starting.

It occurred to me yesterday that you don't often see players dithering like that in the Premier League and then losing possession. You often see a bit of miscontrol but complete indecision under pressure is rarer. We've had Artur and Yoshi.

I don't know what he thought he was doing for their third. He seems to have a limited awareness of what's going on around his peripheral areas.

It occurred to me yesterday that you don't often see players dithering like that in the Premier League and then losing possession. You often see a bit of miscontrol but complete indecision under pressure is rarer. We've had Artur and Yoshi.

I don't know what he thought he was doing for their third. He seems to have a limited awareness of what's going on around his peripheral areas.

Nail on head.

Basically, we have sold £28m worth of right backs and yoshida is playing there.

That is pish poor from the club.

I expect when they bought Cedric they expected more although I don't know why he doesn't play more often. The signing of Martina seems an odd one if he isn't going to play.

I expect when they bought Cedric they expected more although I don't know why he doesn't play more often. The signing of Martina seems an odd one if he isn't going to play.

For 5.5 million euros paid over 18 months..don't know exactly why they expected a great player for that amount. You get what you pay for usually.

Everything is leading up to JWP finding his natural position...RB

Would be worse than Yoshida. For full back these days you need to be able to tackle, have pace and ability to cross. jwp has none of those attributes. We played him there once and he was awful.

Edited by VectisSaint

I personally think Cedric was signed with a view of him being backup to Clyne who gave the club the impression that he would be signing a new deal.

1) Yoshida is not a right-back.

2) We, as has been mentioned, have sold £28Mn worth of young right-backs in the past two summer windows

3) We have replaced them with the just about tolerable, slight step-down in Cedric and the completely inadequate Martina (who I'd assume will be moving on within the next 6-12 months, possibly via a loan move).

4) Koeman evidently thinks that our transfer committee has failed in this regard (given that in certain games such as on Saturday, he's not willing to play either despite the fact that they're fully fit).

5) As such, Yoshida is being asked to deputise in a position he's not qualified for. He's been asked to do someone else's job.

None of these four factors are Yoshida's fault. Hell, if we had a bread-and-butter pace-and-cross traditional right-winger (Young, Valencia etc.) we'd probably sooner have them deputising at right-back than Yoshida.

The only thing I'd add is that whilst a lot of Yoshida's critics seem to be taking some kind of pleasure in his mistakes for them to be proven right, I have never, not once, seen anyone on here claim that Yoshida at right-back is good news. People have defended him as a decent squad player and an all-around good guy, people have defended him as a reasonable third-choice defender for a club of our stature to have at our disposal, but absolutely no-one has claimed that Yoshida at right-back is completely fine and hunky-dory.

2) We, as has been mentioned, have sold £28Mn worth of young right-backs in the past two summer windows

3) We have replaced them with the just about tolerable, slight step-down in Cedric and the completely inadequate Martina (who I'd assume will be moving on within the next 6-12 months, possibly via a loan move).

4) Koeman evidently thinks that our transfer committee has failed in this regard (given that in certain games such as on Saturday, he's not willing to play either despite the fact that they're fully fit).

5) As such, Yoshida is being asked to deputise in a position he's not qualified for. He's been asked to do someone else's job.

None of these four factors are Yoshida's fault. Hell, if we had a bread-and-butter pace-and-cross traditional right-winger (Young, Valencia etc.) we'd probably sooner have them deputising at right-back than Yoshida.

The only thing I'd add is that whilst a lot of Yoshida's critics seem to be taking some kind of pleasure in his mistakes for them to be proven right, I have never, not once, seen anyone on here claim that Yoshida at right-back is good news. People have defended him as a decent squad player and an all-around good guy, people have defended him as a reasonable third-choice defender for a club of our stature to have at our disposal, but absolutely no-one has claimed that Yoshida at right-back is completely fine and hunky-dory.

Martina was clearly Erwin's influence I'm pretty sure Ronald could have stopped that transfer if he wanted.

Ignore what position he is playing on the pitch though - it's his ability to make mistakes which are invariably punished. Even in games where we win he has it in his locker. It's not something that only happens when he plays right-back. I wouldn't mind him playing right back if he didn't make those mistakes. But he does, time and time again. Brain farts which cost us goals. If he didn't make them he'd be a very serviceable right-back as backup.

I suspect we always knew Clyne was going.....we usually do. It was all about money, why we don't have enough for similar quality replacements I have absolutely no idea.

Because the whole point of the clubs policy is to buy good players cheap and then turn them into better players and flog them for more money than we paid for them. Which isn't really going to work if we buy players for the same money we just flogged the last one for.....

Because the whole point of the clubs policy is to buy good players cheap and then turn them into better players and flog them for more money than we paid for them. Which isn't really going to work if we buy players for the same money we just flogged the last one for.....

So not getting better and better then, must have been deluded about that.

So not getting better and better then, must have been deluded about that.

Well to be honest if you think the club are going to sell someone like Mane for 40 million and then buy another 40 million forward you are a bit deluded. The aim is to get better by picking up players that are (or potentially are) good enough for the PL, but that others haven't taken a punt on, for low cash outlay (relatively speaking). It's not hard to get your head around we can't just buy players with no re-sale value and take a loss on them like the big boys do the idea is to improve the squad and the clubs bank balance at the same time. It's a high risk strategy which has paid off so far but the club don't get it right all the time and some times have to just bite the bullet and get a player that doesn't fit the bill because we need a squad (Long comes to mind).

Chambers was 16m tops and Clyne 10m as far as I remember. We didn't replace Chambers at all and when Soares came in Les said he WASNT a replacement for Clyne. Martina was a panic buy, a waste of a fee a waste of wages that underlines the lack of faith in our youth system all of a sudden

1- Agree totally, I ask myself why Koeman ..and even Poch. used him at RB.

My only conclusion was that he had most experience. ....but he lacks pace and is much better in a CB role....

2- before everyone condemns Cedric (yes and even Marina) it should be remembered that Clyne was abysmal at the start of his first season...we shipped goals in every game, some clearly his fault and he was really out of his depth for quite a while before he " settled in ". Cedric deserves the same chance.

3- I'm never too quick to condemn players in their first season. I recall one or two "names" on this site who likened Mane ...to Ali Dia :lol:in his early season appearances.

1- Agree totally, I ask myself why Koeman ..and even Poch. used him at RB.

My only conclusion was that he had most experience. ....but he lacks pace and is much bteter in a CB role....

2- before everyone condemns Cedric (yes and even Marina) it should be remembered that Clyne was abysmal at the start of his first season...we shipped goals in every game and he was really out of his depth for quite a while before he " settled in ". Cedric deserves the same chance.

3- I'm never too quick to condemn players in their first season. I recall one or two "names" on this site who likened Mane ...to Ali Dia :lol:in his early season appearances.

I dont think anyone is writing off cedric

but we qualified for europe, hear the club regularly talking up champions league aspirations and made a pretty profit in the summer AGAIN.

we should have done better than having cedric/martina

we are now in a position where Yoshida plays.. Which has 3 out of the last 5 games.

clyne was no worse than cedric when we first signed him. BUT we were a club JUST promoted from the championship

Ron needs to be asked why Cedric was dropped in the next press conference!

He wont be.

It will all be about Klopp

Listening to 5live last night (arsenal game) and they went back to Anfield a few mins after they had reported liverpool went 1-0 up.

The basis of the report was to tell us all how Klopp celebrated the goal

WTF!!!!!

1- Agree totally, I ask myself why ..and even Poch. used him at RB.

M.

Did he ? Not when we had Clyne and Chambers alternating there I think. Maya only got 8 PL appearances in the 13/14 season

and most of those would have been at CB when Lovren had his several injured spells. Perhaps in the Adkins set up that Poch inherited but then that wasn't very good defensively was it...Poch cast him aside apart from desperate need, Koeman has for some reason reintegrated him as a regular alternative.

He wont be.

It will all be about Klopp

Listening to 5live last night (arsenal game) and they went back to Anfield a few mins after they had reported liverpool went 1-0 up.

The basis of the report was to tell us all how Klopp celebrated the goal

WTF!!!!!

It's the cult of the manager. All you get on TV is continual shots of the bench even when there's a game going on. I even remember one game on BBC when they had a shot of a brick wall which was the side of a dugout and the commentary was along the lines of "...and in that dugout the manager will be deciding whether to make any changes...". FFS there's a game going on and we get shown a brick wall!

Incidentally, there is no mention of a manager or coach in The Laws of the Game except to say that they have to keep off the pitch and stick to their designated areas.