Yoshida

9-3

question for everyone.

say we beat liverpool with yoshida playing both legs of that semi- and thus meaning hes played all our minutes in the league cup this season

would you start him or fonte at wembley?

Given that he's outperformed Fonte for most of this season, Yoshida

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If this time last year you'd said to me that Yoshi would have become our rock at the back, along with Romeu in front of him, I'd have laughed at you (but I've always had a soft spot for Yoshi).

Hoedt bloody well better be good otherwise I'll fill my pants if Yoshi gets injured this season.

• 1 year later...

Looks to be a big miss for us over January (and potentially early February).

From a brief look it seems like Japan will progress from their Asian Cup group. If they were to get knocked out in the last 16 Yoshida would be back for Palace on 30 Jan.

If Japan get to the final he would not be back until the home game with Cardiff on 9 February, missing the seemingly very important Palace and Burnley fixtures in the process.

Anyone know how highly Japan are rated in this year's competition? Given how well they did in the World Cup getting to the latter stages seems probably unfortunately.

From a brief look it seems like Japan will progress from their Asian Cup group. If they were to get knocked out in the last 16 Yoshida would be back for Palace on 30 Jan.

If Japan get to the final he would not be back until the home game with Cardiff on 9 February, missing the seemingly very important Palace and Burnley fixtures in the process.

Anyone know how highly Japan are rated in this year's competition? Given how well they did in the World Cup getting to the latter stages seems probably unfortunately.

Yeah I would imagine they are one of the strongest teams in it and among the favourites for the trophy.

Edit: I've just had a little butchers online and I can't find anyone offering odds on outright winner of the tournament, but at 1/5 Japan have the shortest odds of any of the teams in the competition to win their group. So I don't think we can bank on Yoshi getting an early plane home from this one :(

Edited by Sheaf Saint

2nd favourites at 10/3 behind South Korea at 3/1 on only odds I can find.... which if correct sadly means we can expect him to be away for the whole tournament.

Yeah I would imagine they are one of the strongest teams in it and among the favourites for the trophy.

Edit: I've just had a little butchers online and I can't find anyone offering odds on outright winner of the tournament, but at 1/5 Japan have the shortest odds of any of the teams in the competition to win their group. So I don't think we can bank on Yoshi getting an early plane home from this one :(

Come on, he's a Saint in an international tournament. He'll be home with a season-ending injury within the week...

So they stumbled through in the end, winning every game by a single goal despite being one of the standout favourite teams in the competition.

They beat Uzbekistan in the final group game yesterday, although Maya was an unused sub. They have Saudi Arabia on Monday, and will play the winner of Iran v Oman in the qtr final next Thursday if they win that. Sounds like a punishing game schedule.

And now into the quarters against Vietnam.

Hope he if they win it he won't come back like Fonte after the Euros!

He wont, he is a different type entirely. Also he had success in the world cup in the summer and didn't make a fuss when Hughes preferred Hoedt for weeks on end

You would expect them to beat either of the other semi-finalists (UAE or Qatar) in the final on Friday as well.

When the tournament started I was hoping Japan wouldn't go too far so we wouldn't be without Yoshi for too long, seeing as he was just finding his form again. But we've done alright without him, and now I really want him to get a winners medal. Would be an excellent achievement for him.

If Japan win on Friday and Maya comes back with a winners medal, then the synopsis of his autobiography won't seem quite so laughable any more...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unbeatable-Mind-Maya-Yoshida/dp/0008289336

‘Resilience can give you strength to keep moving forwards when you are caught in the rain or a storm, and keep you continuing on your journey through life. And it is a strength which resides in everyone.’

Maya Yoshida, one of Southampton FC’s most admired players, is well known for his sense of humour on the field. However, underneath the convivial public persona is a man with unrivalled ambition, resilience and strength of character.

Unbeatable Mind reveals the secrets behind Maya’s success and how he became a favourite of football fans across the globe. Recounting his stunning career trajectory, this book provides inspirational guidance on how to overcome obstacles and thrive in any competitive arena.

As it stands if fit Yoshida and Bednarek have to start surely!?

Then one of Vest and Stephens with them in a back 3, quite happy with our centre back options now as against teams like Burnley you would pick Vest and against teams like Arsenal you would pick Stephens..2 totally different centre half's with clear strengths and weaknesses

As it stands if fit Yoshida and Bednarek have to start surely!?

Then one of Vest and Stephens with them in a back 3, quite happy with our centre back options now as against teams like Burnley you would pick Vest and against teams like Arsenal you would pick Stephens..2 totally different centre half's with clear strengths and weaknesses

The concern is still the fact that we have to play three though. Would be ok if our wing backs were great, but as it stands Valery doesn't look composed enough in attacking areas (maybe this will come in time).