Steklenberg

Kaiser Soze

Seem to remember that Burley a had tendency to prefer players who had been with him at previous clubs. Koeman adds Dutch nationality to that.

Stek ticks both boxes so he must be a dream signing for Ron but its good of him to give some of us a bit of a laugh.

people would generally rave about stek on here.

remember chelsea away and he really shouldn't have been beaten with their goal but the general consensus was that he was not at fault

amazing difference when forster came back

people would generally rave about stek on here.

remember chelsea away and he really shouldn't have been beaten with their goal but the general consensus was that he was not at fault

amazing difference when forster came back

As has been noted over and over again, Forster had to face 2 shots on target in the first 4 matches he was back. If anything that's an argument that the defence was busting a gut to protect him.

As has been noted over and over again, Forster had to face 2 shots on target in the first 4 matches he was back. If anything that's an argument that the defence was busting a gut to protect him.

Or that the defence played better knowing that they could rely more on the person between the sticks.

I'm struggling to understand the modern game's preoccupation with tall keepers, and - with Forster and Stek - we're fully bought into it.

The advantage of height is the ability to be strong in the air, but the holding and blocking mayhem in the box these days has made that a rather redundant skill for keepers. They don't seem to come for crosses anywhere near as much.

The disadvantage is that the higher centre of gravity makes it harder for tall keepers to get down to low shots. For me, that's a weakness of both Forster and Stek.

Shay Given was the reverse - too short to dominate his box but able to make great reaction saves.

Very valid point...

I thought Stek was doing OK until FF came back and then I realised how ordinary he is.

Very much in agreement but Stek was preferred over Gazzaniga last term as back up so you have to wonder whether Dave Watson now has more confidence in him. It's hard to see 18-year old Harry Lewis being in contention for a place on the bench for a premier League match until he's had a lot more experience so maybe another signing or a loan might be on the cards.

Or that the defence played better knowing that they could rely more on the person between the sticks.

Every time I've ever seen a defence work harder it's because they know they have to, not because they know they'll be ok if they make more mistakes.

I'm struggling to understand the modern game's preoccupation with tall keepers, and - with Forster and Stek - we're fully bought into it.

The advantage of height is the ability to be strong in the air, but the holding and blocking mayhem in the box these days has made that a rather redundant skill for keepers. They don't seem to come for crosses anywhere near as much.

The disadvantage is that the higher centre of gravity makes it harder for tall keepers to get down to low shots. For me, that's a weakness of both Forster and Stek.

Shay Given was the reverse - too short to dominate his box but able to make great reaction saves.

Very valid point...

Ask Dave Watson and Ronald Koeman. They gutted out the youth keepers who either weren't, or were not predicted to be 'tall enough' (6ft2, for them) to be a goalkeeper.

That's why a number of goalkeepers in the academy have moved on. Pretty sure Stoke picked up Harry Isted as soon as he was told the above and ended his contract.

Had Koeman stayed .......

.....Stekelenburg would undoubtedly has been the no.2 to Forster, but he was only loaned because of " the Koeman Connection " and now there will be fewer Dutch connections in the squad, and so it's hardly surprising that he gone to Everton.

Look for more RK / Dutch-connected signings ..in fact almost any UK-based player whose taken the ferry to Ostend, or a flight to Amsterdam might be on his short list.

Never let one in that he should have saved , but never really saved one you thought was definitely in . Pretty decent number 2, very professional and better than Kelv or Gazza . People can take the **** as much as they like but if we end up with a number 2 that's his level I'd be happy