Saints 1 Villa 1 Match reaction

Mr X

shyte

after the usual opening 10-15 mins spell. weare pretty crap as an attacking force. Slow, ponderous and very dull.

the stats will say we had loads of shots. but how busy was guzan?

set pieces have been our get out all season. We are turning into stoke of a few years ago

I believe Pelle is a big part of that for the reasons I have given plenty of times in other threads

how he stays on the pitch constantly when he is a passenger os a joke

extra point towards 40, I guess

Davis my MoM

shyte

after the usual opening 10-15 mins spell. weare pretty crap as an attacking force. Slow, ponderous and very dull.

I believe Pelle is a big part of that for the reasons I have given plenty of times in other threads

extra point towards 40, I guess

Davis my MoM

I would be slaughtered for saying that.

Lousy result. Game should have been over before Villa scored. Villa were terrible, only matched by some or the worst finishing I can remember from a Saints team. Only positive for me was that Romeu looked decent when he came on. He had energy and intensity that has been missing from the midfield for a while. Despite lots of criticism on here I think JWP offers more than Clasie. He is not great but is much more involved in the game. Clasie is a spectator. Some tough games coming up, which makes this result even more disappointing.

Thought we were better in the 2nd half. Wanyama was pretty much a non entity today. Hopefully he'll be relegated to the bench and Romeu(who came on and did well) will get the nod.

Also don't get why Long didn't come on for Pelle, who i thought had a very off day. Unless Mane was injured don't get why he was taken off, he was causing them all sort of problems.

Saw a little more from Juanmi. Should have done better with his 2 chances.

The defensive problems persist. Soares switching off and almost handing them the lead back.

Also villa are the worst side i've seen for a long while. Makes so much more galling that we didn't beat them.

My man of the match was Davis, thought he really stepped up to the plate 2nd half. We suddenly had some drive in centre mid.

Not fearing a relegation scrap but we are sliding down the table,Romeu looked lively when on,JWP is becoming more and more of a enigma,I can't see how he would offer more than Gaston,I know Gaston has not taken his chances when given them but how can he offer less than JWP ??

Baffling in many ways to go from playing like Ajax to looking like WBA in the space of 12 months! Something not right at Saints, and it doesn't look like getting better anytime soon, lots of bickering and finger pointing on the park. Glad we've got 21 points in December.

Thought we were better in the 2nd half. Wanyama was pretty much a non entity today. Hopefully he'll be relegated to the bench and Romeu(who came on and did well) will get the nod.

Also don't get why Long didn't come on for Pelle, who i thought had a very off day. Unless Mane was injured don't get why he was taken off, he was causing them all sort of problems.

Saw a little more from Juanmi. Should have done better with his 2 chances.

The defensive problems persist. Soares switching off and almost handing them the lead back.

Also villa are the worst side i've seen for a long while. Makes so much more galling that we didn't beat them.

My man of the match was Davis, thought he really stepped up to the plate 2nd half. We suddenly had some drive in centre mid.

Pellé not subbed...wow that doesn't happen often now does it. Bet you could count on one hand the number of times he's been subbed since he's been here. A Koeman binky, totally unsubable..

We look very average at the moment...don't look like we are going to score! We are slow on build up play and have nothing to come off the bench...lots of work to be done to get this team ticking again....Not a joy to watch at all!!!!

Our buildup play was decent. Movement was better and more energy in the side. Let down by terrible finishing, we could have had two goals in the first two minutes. We really should have finished off a very poor Villa side before half.

Defense was better, but still looked panicked and disjointed at times. Center backs were solid, but we looked vulnerable down the wings. Davis and Bertrand were good. Mane caused them problems but his finishing was poor. Pelle had an off game. Our substitutions were excellent though an injected a lot of fight and urgency into the side, Juanmi and Romeu both were impressive.

Also, the fans booing at the half were disgraceful. With that attitude we will never win games....

Wanyama/Davis/JWP just means a midfield very unlikely to score. When confidence is fragile and you need goals, that really doesn't help. Tadic doesn't really like shooting, Pelle is slow, so it's all down to Mane and he can't do it every week.

Its a long time since Mane scored in the league as well.

agree with others; (as per Wednesday).....could / should have won it in the first 20 mins. Golden chances squandered.

Steven Davis MOM...a stand-out player today, Wanyama disappointing, Romeu surprising, van Dijk-as good as usual , and IMO ..Cedric looked much better.

Pelle almost invisible, but has no competition as Juanmi is so indecisive. ...and last, but by no means least ... JWP's 5th yellow card.. so he's out next game......

Roll on the transfer window.....now we have 4 games v. London clubs...:rolleyes:

Better performance. Need to start finishing again though in fairness Villa cleared it off the line twice... 3-1 and this place would be very different tonight.

Bertrand looked very, very ****ed off in the first half at the ball constantly going backwards and players ignoring him out wide.

agree with others; (as per Wednesday).....could / should have won it in the first 20 mins. Golden chances squandered.

Steven Davis MOM...a stand-out player today, Wanyama disappointing, Romeu surprising, van Dijk-as good as usual , and IMO ..Cedric looked much better.

Pelle almost invisible, but has no competition as Juanmi is so indecisive. ...and last, but by no means least ... JWP's 5th yellow card.. so he's out next game......

Roll on the transfer window.....now we have 4 games v. London clubs...:rolleyes:

What makes you think the transfer window will bring about much change?

We're not selling and I doubt that we have much money to spend otherwise. We already have 2 domestic loans and 16 non HG players so I'd not pin my hopes on the TW if I were you.

Our buildup play was decent. Movement was better and more energy in the side. Let down by terrible finishing, we could have had two goals in the first two minutes. We really should have finished off a very poor Villa side before half.

Defense was better, but still looked panicked and disjointed at times. Center backs were solid, but we looked vulnerable down the wings. Davis and Bertrand were good. Mane caused them problems but his finishing was poor. Pelle had an off game. Our substitutions were excellent though an injected a lot of fight and urgency into the side, Juanmi and Romeu both were impressive.

Also, the fans booing at the half were disgraceful. With that attitude we will never win games....

Anyone booing at half time should be banned. On another day we could have been 5 up at half time. I can understand booing if the players aren't trying but doing that today was disgraceful.

Queue loads of muppets telling me how they pay their money so they are entitled to boo.

Fair play, second half the Northam sang a lot.

Leicester and Stoke are this years saints and Swansea we look very pedestrian at home this year a shadow of the team that took apart Sunderland and Villa at home

Toby, Nat and Morgan...that's why, 3 class players replaced by well not so class. VVD is alright but he's not Toby, the other 2 have been replaced by far inferior players.

Own quote from a few months ago, because I can now agree with myself.

Cedric is not and will never be an improvement on Clyne.

Tadic, Pelle and Mane will never be an improvement on Lallana, Lambert and Rodriguez (ok, maybe Mané can be an improvement on post-injury Jay).

Having Long as our 3rd striker would've been clever, having him as our main alternative is wrong.

I fear Juanmi is a younger Ramirez. Brilliant feet but unable to take on the wind.

Caulker will never be an improvement on Lovren or Alderweireld.

Clasie is no Schneiderlin, and if he was signed to do so then it was a mistake.

Romeu is frankly no improvement on Cork (contrary to forum mythology that really doesn't say much).

Stekelenburg is as good as Forster who is better than Boruc.

Bertrand is as good as Shaw, or as close to his performances as we need him to be.

Martina is waste of space, and Elia and Djuricic were a waste of time and resources considering what we needed in January.

If this is the "black box" then swing it from the Itchen bridge ASAP!

Another poor result at home. Clearly we were the better side but Villa came to do a job and got what they wanted. No pace in the side leaves us ponderous and out of ideas in these types of games.

3 home wins out of 8 in the league now I think.

Sitting the train we were the much better side but our finishing has gone to ****. Defense was solid midfield was good enough but goals look hard to come by against steam with 11 behind the ball for most of the game. Hoping for a decent AM (and no that is not Gaston) and and a striker to give pelle some competition.

Have said it time and time again, best result all season was Chelsea with Mane BEHIND Pelle. It isn't ****ing rocket science Koeman.

I'd like to see us play 4231 with Mane as the number 10, Davis on the right and Tadic on the left, but the problem is this Morgan shaped hole because no one can play with fuc*ing Wanyama except when he pairs with Davis IMO. Clasie/JWP don't cut in deep and Romeu with Wanyama is too defensive. Our first team last season was brilliant. Taken a massive hit this year.

Midfield moved the ball a lot quicker with Wanyama off. Although I don't remember Romeu impressing from the start yet and he has had opportunities.

We need a central midfielder willing to dribble and do something a little unpredictable. Our only players capable of taking on a man are on the wings and therefore we're easy to nullify, especially at home. I'd drop Davis back deeper and play Juanmi off Pelle. At home, not away.

That said, we could have easily won 3-0 today.

Wastefully woeful or woefully wasteful. Take your pick. You'd think they would have learnt how to shoot and score goals after Wednesday's lesson. More pass-back-itis from Davis led to their goal. Back first time 20 yds into our half, Jose underhit it back and suddenly from a good position in their half we're happy to clear the ball for a corner. The rest is history.

I just can't understand why when we have such a great creative forward thinking midfield of wanyama, ward prowse and Davis that we looked so slow moving the ball forward.

Very true. I still think JWP will come good but one thing that really frustrates me with him is his tendency to under-hit his forward passes (when he makes them).

He has normally picked out the right ball but time and again the receiver has to check his stride, stop running or even come back to the ball.

It's a momentum-killer we can't afford if we want to attack before the defence is set.

I thought we played pretty well today, against admittedly-poor opposition, but the slow build-up and failure to take chances will hurt us every time.

What makes you think the transfer window will bring about much change?

We're not selling and I doubt that we have much money to spend otherwise. We already have 2 domestic loans and 16 non HG players so I'd not pin my hopes on the TW if I were you.

Do you think Koeman will stick with this squad and not buy anyone at all?

also.... I'm sure that when he says ....we won't sell anyone, he means first team squad players ONLY....expect Gaston to go .....and Juanmi on loan (somewhere)

Pretty dire. Good chances in the first 15 minutes, but more the result of Villa sloppiness than any particularly incisive play on our part. Davis was indeed probably our best player second half, but lets not kid ourselves - if busyness and a couple of decent forward passes that don't lead anywhere are our idea of 'outstanding' then the rest of the season promises some pretty dull games. JWP was abject, moving without pace and passing without conviction - very strange technique, he seems to stop running every time he passes the ball as if setting himself for a free-kick, but still scuffs half his passes.

I like Pelle and think he's a technically sound player, but I'm starting to hate the fact that the entire team is set up to serve him. Could Mane ever play as a central striker the way Sturridge does for Liverpool when fit? Greater mobility and fluidity across the front line would surely give the opposition more problems than this tactical dead-end we've blundered down.