Shane Long

Saint Charlie

I also think long term Obafemi is basically just a younger, and probably better Long. IIRC before he got injured he was getting in the team before Long was.

Next season I reckon it'll be Ings + new player, with Long and Obafemi as back ups, Austin and Gallagher probably getting sold.

Ings was crucial in the win against Wolves, he linked the play so well, hes just a much better all round player than Long, he is a better finisher, has better touch, better vision, passing etc. He also has the ability to run at people and beat them, creating space around tight defences.

Long is just quicker and probably physically more reliable. But despite his goal last night, his lack of ability IMO cost us the much needed 2nd goal, the cross from JWP I reckon Ings would have scored as he would have anticipated it better and got round the ball more, plus there were several occasions I watched where we were on the attack and Longs pass just wasn't good enough.

Ings IMO also seems to link much better with Redmond, they seem to be on each other's wave length.

He's a good player to have around the club, especially as a sub and for those tough away games. But I think we'll struggle if he's regularly starting, hes just having a purple patch right now, people seem to forget hes been pretty awful before that for a while.

Ings on the whole has been pretty disappointing - clearly this assessment is partly clouded by his injuries. But over the course of the season, he's looked increasingly off the pace. Yes he's linked up well on occasions but is rarely getting into goal-scoring positions (though both may be a function of playing deeper).

With Long, you'll get a 6 or 7/10 performance every week. His game is limited but he rarely goes missing -he'll occupy CBs, get us further up the pitch and create space for our better ball plays. That said, neither Ings nor Long is a long-term option.

I've not been convinced by Ings this season, maybe due to him never reaching full fitness (?). Both him and Austin are not really suited to Ralph's pressing style.

I would hope the club review the entire attacking area of the team, we seem very wasteful in front of goal and generally (except Redmond and Sims) lack pace and are easy for defenders to read.

Couldn't agree more. Long got lucky last night but did finish with composure, but after that he butchered a couple of live chances and that's a pattern during his time at Saints. Will be a better side next season if he is replaced.

It was lucky but tbf Ings would not have got there to make the luck

True enough. Funny thing is he (Ings) looked a lot sharper and faster when he first arrived from Liverpool.

Wasn’t it someone from Ings inner circle that said he found the training here like a holiday camp? (When Hughes was still around). I think a full pre season under Ralph will give us a good indication how good some players actually are.

I've not been convinced by Ings this season, maybe due to him never reaching full fitness (?). Both him and Austin are not really suited to Ralph's pressing style.

I would hope the club review the entire attacking area of the team, we seem very wasteful in front of goal and generally (except Redmond and Sims) lack pace and are easy for defenders to read.

i would say with Ings stamina and energy he is more than suited to RH pressing style.

Long has one more year on his contract but is 32.

I would not offer him a new one but let me see out next year as he can still be a decent option.

Losing him on a free as a 33 year old the year after isn't a big deal.

Long has one more year on his contract but is 32.

I would not offer him a new one but let me see out next year as he can still be a decent option.

Losing him on a free as a 33 year old the year after isn't a big deal.

Agree with this. I think he’s a handy option.

If Ralph decides he doesn’t want him, this little goal spell might have gotten the attention of a few clubs.

Goalscoring machine! Sell Austin and Gallagher, keep Shane next year as he offers something different and seems to be fairly nonplussed at not being first choice. Ings, Long, Obafemi plus a new striker should give us enough next season up top.

Showed the issue with him today though, yes he scored but he also missed an absolute sitter, similar against Watford, he scored but then missed other chances that could have won us the game.

Even on form he just needs too many chances to get goals.

As an option in the squad sure, but if next year we are starting him regularly then its a worry. At least one new striker needed, if not two IMO.

Gallagher and Austin I presume are off, Ings has worryingly dropped off form and goals, plus we can't rely on him to be fit.

Without the nick off the defender, Boruc would've saved the shot for his goal easily - wasn't actually a good finish at all.

There has been an element of luck in all of his goals this season. Schmeichel deflecting the ball inwards, Liverpool defenders missing a cross, Wolves the ball just rebounded to him and he swung a leg at it, more a deflection than anything.

Without taking too much away from him, he hasn’t suddenly become a good player. I’d still sell him if a decent offer comes in.

Why post such crap, its clearly rubbish

He isn't the best obviously but to say he`s sunday league says more about your understanding of football than his shortcomings..

I think my understanding is just fine, pal.

As proven today, Very very poor finisher. But let’s not take away from his allround play which has been very good, and as previously stated, our first choice CF atm... much better than ings (who also isn’t a great finisher fwiw).

Suspect he’ll be here next year as we won’t get a decent offer nor [i hope] offer him a new contract. I also doubt any clubs interested would offer him the wage he’s on here. Possible he’d take, say, a three year deal on reduced wages elsewhere [champo], but he may as well stay for a year on prem money and take 2 years on less later. Perfectly happy to have him next season as squad player, just don’t want to ever see him start up front on his own at home in must win games again.

In fairness he's never given up. His work rate is superb. He always gives 100% and even when he hit lean times in front of goal he's just carried on working hard in training and earned his place back in the starting 11. He's a very useful player to have in the squad. Charlie Austin could learn a thing or two from him about knuckling down and fighting for a place.

if you want to just survive in this league, then Long will contribute to that, but after being spoiled by the likes of Lallana, Lambert, Rodriguez and Mane that had us challenge for best of the rest, I hope we can, at some point, do better. Long works his socks off, and we all love that, but some genuine finishing ability and maybe even dribbling capability wouldn't go a miss.

Edited by Chez

He's a very useful player to have in the squad. Charlie Austin could learn a thing or two from him about knuckling down and fighting for a place.

Is that the same Charlie Austin whose attitude was praised by Ralph in Jan, or a different one.

“He is a perfect example of a guy who is always positive for the team and very important for the team.

Although he is not playing in the last games as much as he wants to, with his strong character he is very important for the team because he is always positive, always pushing the other guys and don’t let them lean back because he’s there and will show up.

If the training session is not the quality he wants to be then he shouts at the other guys. That’s what I like, that’s why I love him and why I said in the winter transfer break if he stays with us I am happy and if he gets a chance to play somewhere else I am happy for him.

He deserves to play more and at the moment I can’t offer him this chance here, not because he’s weak but because the others are doing it very well at the moment “

Still what does he know about Charlie’s attitude,he’s just the manager, not Sid, a forum poster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Is that the same Charlie Austin whose attitude was praised by Ralph in Jan, or a different one.

“He is a perfect example of a guy who is always positive for the team and very important for the team.

Although he is not playing in the last games as much as he wants to, with his strong character he is very important for the team because he is always positive, always pushing the other guys and don’t let them lean back because he’s there and will show up.

If the training session is not the quality he wants to be then he shouts at the other guys. That’s what I like, that’s why I love him and why I said in the winter transfer break if he stays with us I am happy and if he gets a chance to play somewhere else I am happy for him.

He deserves to play more and at the moment I can’t offer him this chance here, not because he’s weak but because the others are doing it very well at the moment “

Still what does he know about Charlie’s attitude,he’s just the manager, not Sid, a forum poster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps you'd like to tell me what he's done this season? Let's be honest, he's done nothing to make the manager start him, where as Long clearly has. If he was that important the Manager wouldn't be saying "if he gets a chance to play somewhere else I am happy for him" and he certainly wouldn't have told him to find a new club this summer. When Long was given a chance he worked hard and got his reward. Can you honestly say the same about Austin? Every time he's played this season all you hear is people saying that they never want to see him in a Saints shirt again. He's done nothing to prove himself!!! Had Obafemi been fit I doubt Austin would have even made the bench.

Watched his movement all game. Best on the pitch. Won't be 1st choice next season but you can bet he will keep improving under RH.

Was he? (best on the pitch for movement). Will he? (keep improving under RH). Long will be 33 next season - it's so good he has been able to contribute in the last few weeks with a few goals.....two of them were deflected; one was a tap in from Yoshida's scrambling assist and the other a flukey charge down at game's start which admittedly he finished with composure. Were it not for some of the good fortune he has enjoyed I don't think too many would be advocating a new contract. The Club needs better to avoid the narrow squeaks of the past two seasons.

Watched his movement all game. Best on the pitch. Won't be 1st choice next season but you can bet he will keep improving under RH.

Was he? (best on the pitch for movement). Will he? (keep improving under RH). Long will be 33 next season - it's so good he has been able to contribute in the last few weeks with a few goals.....two of them were deflected; one was a tap in from Yoshida's scrambling assist and the other a flukey charge down at game's start which admittedly he finished with composure. Were it not for some of the good fortune he has enjoyed I don't think too many would be advocating a new contract. The Club needs better to avoid the narrow squeaks of the past two seasons.

Absolutely this!!

Apologies to Shane but I’ve never been a fan, yet he seems to have engaged every manager with his attributes of wit,charm,guitar playing,singing voice, banter and self praise. None of it football based !

He can run very fast in a straight line and if the luck of the Irish is with him he might just get the odd goal every dozen or so games.

His recent goal ‘splurge’ seems to have got him off of most people’s ‘Gone in the Summer’ lists!

Whilst it’s been a welcome and fortunate spell, it’s not a sudden change in form. The miss against the post yesterday is more indicative of where he’s been for a few years.

Time to thank him for that goal at Liverpool and upgrade for an exciting season ahead. Ta Shane.

Absolutely this!!

Apologies to Shane but I’ve never been a fan, yet he seems to have engaged every manager with his attributes of wit,charm,guitar playing,singing voice, banter and self praise. None of it football based !

He can run very fast in a straight line and if the luck of the Irish is with him he might just get the odd goal every dozen or so games.

His recent goal ‘splurge’ seems to have got him off of most people’s ‘Gone in the Summer’ lists!

Whilst it’s been a welcome and fortunate spell, it’s not a sudden change in form. The miss against the post yesterday is more indicative of where he’s been for a few years.

Time to thank him for that goal at Liverpool and upgrade for an exciting season ahead. Ta Shane.

Agreed.

Perhaps you'd like to tell me what he's done this season? Let's be honest, he's done nothing to make the manager start him, where as Long clearly has. If he was that important the Manager wouldn't be saying "if he gets a chance to play somewhere else I am happy for him" and he certainly wouldn't have told him to find a new club this summer. When Long was given a chance he worked hard and got his reward. Can you honestly say the same about Austin? Every time he's played this season all you hear is people saying that they never want to see him in a Saints shirt again. He's done nothing to prove himself!!! Had Obafemi been fit I doubt Austin would have even made the bench.

well what does that say then for players like Gallagher and Elyounoussi?

Austin is obviously doing something right if he is making the bench for Ralph.

I think he'll be a 3rd or 4th choice striker for us next season. Long, Ings, Obafemi and then reckon we'll buy one more.

I hope we a winger too to relieve pressure of Redmond though, unless Boufal is up to task.

Edited by nta786

I’m sorry but that miss yesterday changed the game. Had he buried it (as my mum would’ve ) it would have stopped Boscombes revival in its tracks, which is exactly what happened after Wolves equalised the other week. I like the guy, but it’s time to draw an end to his time here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your original post was critical of his attitude, Ralph (the manager) went out of his way to specifically praise his attitude. Has it occurred to you that he’s on the bench/ not in the side, because of his ability not his attitude.

You questioned his attitude, not his ability, and are therefore spouting pony. Again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well what does that say then for players like Gallagher and Elyounoussi?

Austin is obviously doing something right if he is making the bench for Ralph.

I think he'll be a 3rd or 4th choice striker for us next season. Long, Ings, Obafemi and then reckon we'll buy one more.

I hope we a winger too to relieve pressure of Redmond though, unless Boufal is up to task.

I expect you'll be right. Think I can handle him seeing out his final year ha! but don't think a contract extension should be anywhere near the table.

Until we buy a couple of strong mobile goal scoring strikers we would be mad to let him go. His recent four goals have been pretty important and his cross to Austin for the winner at home to Arsenal was sublime and worth two valuable points. The Watford goal was all his and wasn't too shabby either.

Until we buy a couple of strong mobile goal scoring strikers we would be mad to let him go. His recent four goals have been pretty important and his cross to Austin for the winner at home to Arsenal was sublime and worth two valuable points. The Watford goal was all his and wasn't too shabby either.

That Leicester goal too....

Long's recent form kind of highlights for him the margins of being a decent player, and being a really stand out PL player. He has all the attributes to be a top player in the modern game, but has never managed to keep any sort of consistency over a sustained period.

He's 32 now, so we aren't going to see huge improvement in him. But I hope we persevere with him next season, if he can keep his recent form up and confidence remains high, we might be surprised with his goal tally. That finish against Watford was top class, so the ability is there - we just have never seen it regularly enough!

Long's recent form kind of highlights for him the margins of being a decent player, and being a really stand out PL player. He has all the attributes to be a top player in the modern game, but has never managed to keep any sort of consistency over a sustained period.

He's 32 now, so we aren't going to see huge improvement in him. But I hope we persevere with him next season, if he can keep his recent form up and confidence remains high, we might be surprised with his goal tally. That finish against Watford was top class, so the ability is there - we just have never seen it regularly enough!

I like him, and would give him a new contract probably, but this is simply not the case. He is a nuisance, but a "top player" doesn't miss the chances he misses, and also they don't normally trip over their own feet as regularly as Shane does.

I don't think he has "all the attributes to be a top player" at all. I'd put composure and shooting ability right at the top of the list of required attributes and he lacks both. Massively.

Bournemouth match was yet another reminder of this - his goal was via a deflection ,Boruc would've saved it otherwise - and the less said about the post incident the better. He has shown consistency in these failings throughout his career.

Worth a one year extension if Ralph wants him to stay and if he's happy to be a back up player. Otherwise let his contract run out and let him leave on a free at the end of next season.

I wouldn’t keep him for next season, let alone another two. Both him and Austin should have gone two years ago when we sold Jay Rod.

To be fair, Saturday highlighted our problems. Sure, he can finish now and then...but he won't get the goals required to maintain a decent placing. Look at the open goal he scuffed for example, this is just trademark Long. Thus we didn't win the game. (Well, one of the reasons why we didn't)

Good for 5-8 goals a year if played in a decent side and confident, but could easily go an entire season without a goal (as we've seen). Really think we should focus on getting better in the summer, he's a likeable guy, but not really good enough if we're brutally honest.

To be fair, Saturday highlighted our problems. Sure, he can finish now and then...but he won't get the goals required to maintain a decent placing. Look at the open goal he scuffed for example, this is just trademark Long. Thus we didn't win the game. (Well, one of the reasons why we didn't)

Good for 5-8 goals a year if played in a decent side and confident, but could easily go an entire season without a goal (as we've seen). Really think we should focus on getting better in the summer, he's a likeable guy, but not really good enough if we're brutally honest.

Couldn't have put it better. I hope Ralph isn't influenced by the two deflected; the tap in and the charge down. Both Austin and Long need to be replaced.

Nobody would argue that Long should be a regular starter for us, but I think there is a case for keeping him on as an alternative off the bench as he has attributes to suit that role and does also fit Ralph's way of playing with his hard chasing style.

I can't see us signing several strikers in the summer (we certainly need to sign one to replace Austin though) as to be honest we desperately need to prioritise improving the defence as Saturdays game showed clearly yet again.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Couldn't have put it better. I hope Ralph isn't influenced by the two deflected; the tap in and the charge down. Both Austin and Long need to be replaced.

What is the point of getting rid of a bench striker who has fantastic pace, scores a few goals and is a good guy to have around the club? Can you put forward some suggestions as to who we should sign and how much they would cost?

What is the point of getting rid of a bench striker who has fantastic pace, scores a few goals and is a good guy to have around the club? Can you put forward some suggestions as to who we should sign and how much they would cost?

He was only supposed to be a bench striker this season, but Ings and Austin are injured so often we've ended up relying on him. Sure, keep Long if he genuinely would just be sitting here as a fourth or fifth choice with Obafemi, but if we have to ship him out to give us a chance of landing a genuine starter, then I'd sell in a heartbeat.

He was only supposed to be a bench striker this season, but Ings and Austin are injured so often we've ended up relying on him. Sure, keep Long if he genuinely would just be sitting here as a fourth or fifth choice with Obafemi, but if we have to ship him out to give us a chance of landing a genuine starter, then I'd sell in a heartbeat.

We undoubtedly need a striker but much as I like Danny and Charlie, you simply cannot rely on them to stay fit. If Danny was a washing machine you would write to Watchdog!