Shane Long

Saint Charlie

“Ronald Koeman is currently undergoing a medical at Southampton after agreeing to spend £12.5m on Shane Long!”

I think most of us thought that at the time and probably time now to move on but for me I'll remember his great contributions like when he returned from injury and had a barnstormer second half of a season and picked up 'Player of the Year' for a few months work and of course...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVb3NfTf7P8

worth every penny

• 2 weeks later...
“Ronald Koeman is currently undergoing a medical at Southampton after agreeing to spend £12.5m on Shane Long!”

I think most of us thought that at the time and probably time now to move on but for me I'll remember his great contributions like when he returned from injury and had a barnstormer second half of a season and picked up 'Player of the Year' for a few months work and of course...

worth every penny

2 years ago today.

worth every penny

Watching that again, 2 things stand out; Liverpool demonstrating a quality usually attributed to Saints - conceding from your own corner, and Puel showing some real animated emotion.

Puel has become more animated while at Leicester. Might want to show it when asked "do you fear for your job?" An answer of "it is not my concern" may give the wrong impression. I know he is trying to say "it's not my decision to take, so rather than worry myself sick, I will do my utmost to win every game" ... but he doesn't say it.

Just watched that goal again another 10 times. As far as I'm concerned the bloke literally doesn't have to do anything for Saints again because he's responsible for the best celebration I've been involved in.

He bought a load of credits with that goal. I wasn't there but watched with my young son and daughter and we all went mental.

Just watched that goal again another 10 times. As far as I'm concerned the bloke literally doesn't have to do anything for Saints again because he's responsible for the best celebration I've been involved in.

I feel similar about Jon Viafara for his first play-off goal against Derby. 2-0 down, dead and buried and he gets us back in the game with his half volley. I quite literally pogo'd two rows of seats and nearly died through lack of oxygen to the brain. Anfield celebration was similar, without the pogoing. Too old these days.

Never ever watched that game back, so thought I'd do so now. Just listen to the noise when Jon scores our first to get us back in the tie. Shiver down my spine when I watched Rasiak gets the equaliser again. Easily the best game of football I've ever been to. Exhilarating to the end.

Edited by Chez

Yes Chez, that Derby game is definitely one of my favourites even though we ended up losing and getting soaked through to our pants on the walk back to the car.

Remember feeling the stand shake when Rasiak scored the equaliser. An amazing rollercoaster of a match that's for sure.

Yes Chez, that Derby game is definitely one of my favourites even though we ended up losing and getting soaked through to our pants on the walk back to the car.

Remember feeling the stand shake when Rasiak scored the equaliser. An amazing rollercoaster of a match that's for sure.

That and Man City away August 2012 are the best defeats I've ever been to

• 1 month later...
I think Long is a very useful member of the squad, we need a more prolific goalscorer but in a squad of 22 Long has a place IMHO

Long can still be useful, because he's fast and gives 100%, a nuisance for opposing defenses; bu his time at Saints is surely nearly up. Can't believe we'll keep him and Austin after this season, so long as we stay in the Prem. I'd be very disappointed by our summer's work if Long still has a place in our 22 man squad next season, rather than someone younger and more prolific (potentially at least).

• 2 weeks later...
Get off his back. Like it said in the interview there have been a number of things that had affected him confidence wise!

Get off his back? Likeable character who should have been shown the door two seasons ago. Now clearly in decline from a level that wasn't

that good.

I've never understood why managers don't try him on the wings. Would take the pressure off him a bit and play to his strengths. I think he'd be great with Ings. Creating space and tiring defences.

I think he has been pretty terrible out wide when used there. He doesn't have a good enough touch and can't link up with full backs.

He's basically an incredibly limited football player, with two key attributes which have enabled him to build a career. Pace, and hard work. Now he’s aging and these attributes are slowly diminishing as well, you will eventually be left with a lower league standard footballer.

He's never been a true goal scorer and never will be, he's incredibly frustrating to watch when he's your only outlet - but not so much when he's supporting others, like he was with Mane and Pelle etc. But yeah, he needs to be shipped off sharpish if we want a decent treat.

I think he has been pretty terrible out wide when used there. He doesn't have a good enough touch and can't link up with full backs.

When Long has the ball, it usually ends up with the opposition as at the end of his runs, he loses control of it and either lets it run out of play or it goes to one of their players.

• 3 weeks later...
It's not the popular thing to do, but I'm going to say it -- Well done Shane Long.

Goal today & the Leicester goal may prove very important.

He made a great impact today. One of his best sub performances for us I think.

The style suits him, and he is a good option from the bench.

He made a great impact today. One of his best sub performances for us I think.

The style suits him, and he is a good option from the bench.

He had a very good game I thought. Other than a stupid, blatant dive just after he came on he was industrious, held the ball up well, caused panic in their defence and grabbed a goal. He also annoyed the Wolves fans which was funny.

Couldn't really have asked for any more from him today. Whether that translates into similar performances going forward who knows.

His finishing is Sunday league level, pathetic for a Premier league and international striker on £50k a week... however, hats off, over the last month he has been outstanding in his build up play and generally outside the box.

For me, our first choice CF atm.

Shane Long finding form at the right time- another the Boss is improving. Imagine a whole pre season of confidence building with hjis pace. If he learns to score the sitters' date=' he'll be awesome![/quote']

He's having a purple patch, nothing more or less. He hasn't suddenly become a good player and wont be next season either. Players don't suddenly learn composure and technique aged 31.

Fair play though, we need goals and if he rounds off the season with another couple I certainly wont complain.

His finishing is Sunday league level, pathetic for a Premier league and international striker on £50k a week... however, hats off, over the last month he has been outstanding in his build up play and generally outside the box.

For me, our first choice CF atm.

Why post such crap, its clearly rubbish

He isn't the best obviously but to say he`s sunday league says more about your understanding of football than his shortcomings..

I think we look a far better side when Long starts than when Ings starts.

I feel that Ings' general all-round game is OK, but he does slow down our play.

We looked electric in the first half last night, with Long, Armstrong and Redmond stretching Watford all over the place. They were forcing the Watford defence into all sorts of mistakes (even after 7 seconds!)

Long's finishing may not be the best (although that was a beautiful dink last night!), but I for one think we look a better team with him on the pitch, and I bet Redmond et al like the extra space he creates for them.

Ings was crucial in the win against Wolves, he linked the play so well, hes just a much better all round player than Long, he is a better finisher, has better touch, better vision, passing etc. He also has the ability to run at people and beat them, creating space around tight defences.

Long is just quicker and probably physically more reliable. But despite his goal last night, his lack of ability IMO cost us the much needed 2nd goal, the cross from JWP I reckon Ings would have scored as he would have anticipated it better and got round the ball more, plus there were several occasions I watched where we were on the attack and Longs pass just wasn't good enough.

Ings IMO also seems to link much better with Redmond, they seem to be on each other's wave length.

He's a good player to have around the club, especially as a sub and for those tough away games. But I think we'll struggle if he's regularly starting, hes just having a purple patch right now, people seem to forget hes been pretty awful before that for a while.

But I think we'll struggle if he's regularly starting, hes just having a purple patch right now, people seem to forget hes been pretty awful before that for a while.

I agree, I dont think Long is the long term solution, I just think he is the best option we have now. Hopefully Ralph will be able to bring in a striker who has a mixture of composure, strength and pace this summer ;)

Ings was crucial in the win against Wolves, he linked the play so well, hes just a much better all round player than Long, he is a better finisher, has better touch, better vision, passing etc. He also has the ability to run at people and beat them, creating space around tight defences.

Long is just quicker and probably physically more reliable. But despite his goal last night, his lack of ability IMO cost us the much needed 2nd goal, the cross from JWP I reckon Ings would have scored as he would have anticipated it better and got round the ball more, plus there were several occasions I watched where we were on the attack and Longs pass just wasn't good enough.

Ings IMO also seems to link much better with Redmond, they seem to be on each other's wave length.

He's a good player to have around the club, especially as a sub and for those tough away games. But I think we'll struggle if he's regularly starting, hes just having a purple patch right now, people seem to forget hes been pretty awful before that for a while.

Couldn't agree more. Long got lucky last night but did finish with composure, but after that he butchered a couple of live chances and that's a pattern during his time at Saints. Will be a better side next season if he is replaced.