Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Shane Long

Quote Originally Posted by bangkoksaint View Post
    Maybe, just maybe if supporters got behind Long instead of barracking him it’d give him and the side a massive lift. We are where we are with strikers so this continual vitriol isn’t going to help. What he did for the mascot on Saturday showed a bit of class and he’s a player that never stops working for the side.
    at games there has never been anything but total backing from Saints fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    at games there has never been anything but total backing from Saints fans.
    No matter how utterly, utterly awful a player is, there is always someone ready to point out that it’s the fans fault.

A lot of people were saying how poor he had been first half, on the match thread yesterday and he was useless against Championship Derby. One shot (from the edge of the 6 yard box which was probably going wide) does not make him a good player.

3. Default

On MOTD , which is one of the few I’ve looked forward to , it looked like Long’s chip was going wide ! Thanks to The keeper it went in ! But fantastic , can’t understand why Huddersfield pen was cancelled but if you are in the bottom 12 you are ......

Lets not get carried away. Long is Long, and has a purpose in games that need what he does. Him an Austin are one dimension players now at the PL level (maybe they used to be more). Long did what he does, he ran around mostly aimlessly creating a nuisance. In this game he got dragged down causing a penalty (and interesting to note the Ralph didn't even trust him with the penalty kick), and put a shot into the box the was really going to be more of a cross and got lucky.

I like Long, but lets not turn this into him being a striker that we can depend on to actually score regularly. His value at this level, at this time, is as a nuisance who can hopefully force defenders into an occasional mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    Lets not get carried away. Long is Long, and has a purpose in games that need what he does. Him an Austin are one dimension players now at the PL level (maybe they used to be more). Long did what he does, he ran around mostly aimlessly creating a nuisance. In this game he got dragged down causing a penalty (and interesting to note the Ralph didn't even trust him with the penalty kick), and put a shot into the box the was really going to be more of a cross and got lucky.

I like Long, but lets not turn this into him being a striker that we can depend on to actually score regularly. His value at this level, at this time, is as a nuisance who can hopefully force defenders into an occasional mistake.
    No one is doing what you describe, just appreciating what he did

Genuinely the only person getting carried away is you feeling the need to tell a forum of people absolutely not getting carried away to not get carried away.

Was incredibly lucky with the second - it was his own bad touch that gave him something to chase, and then he looked to have put his shot closer to the corner flag than the goal.

Grateful for the win, but would dearly love us to sign someone this month that means I never have to see Long starting for us again.

If you don't shoot, you don't score lad....

It may have started out heading for the corner flag, but the only thing that matters is where it ended up. Great goal.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    If you don't shoot, you don't score lad....

It may have started out heading for the corner flag, but the only thing that matters is where it ended up. Great goal.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    If every wayward shot he took ended up deflected into the net then I wouldn't have a problem with him. Sadly, most of them make their way towards the corner flag uninterrupted.

Being a nuisance to defenders is very much part of the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    He isn’t a nuisance, he just gives them slightly less time to make a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Rather that nuisance be scoring goals thou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by verlaine1979 View Post
    Was incredibly lucky with the second - it was his own bad touch that gave him something to chase, and then he looked to have put his shot closer to the corner flag than the goal.

Grateful for the win, but would dearly love us to sign someone this month that means I never have to see Long starting for us again.
    RH's post-match comments suggest he sees the potential to boost Long's confidence and there is some evidence that might be beginning to happen. RH is turning other things around so maybe he believes Long's performances can be improved markedly too with the right coaching/management.

TBF, Long was a decent little player under Koeman without being outstanding.

If we want a player to run around a lot and be a nuisance, sign Usain Bolt or Mo Farah. As I have said before.
    They would have better scoring stats too no doubt.

“Ronald Koeman is currently undergoing a medical at Southampton after agreeing to spend £12.5m on Shane Long!”

I think most of us thought that at the time and probably time now to move on but for me I'll remember his great contributions like when he returned from injury and had a barnstormer second half of a season and picked up 'Player of the Year' for a few months work and of course...

worth every penny

I think Long is a very useful member of the squad, we need a more prolific goalscorer but in a squad of 22 Long has a place IMHO

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 100%Red&White View Post
    “Ronald Koeman is currently undergoing a medical at Southampton after agreeing to spend £12.5m on Shane Long!”

I think most of us thought that at the time and probably time now to move on but for me I'll remember his great contributions like when he returned from injury and had a barnstormer second half of a season and picked up 'Player of the Year' for a few months work and of course...

worth every penny
    2 years ago today.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    2 years ago today.
    What has happened to Redmond's hair in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by 100%Red&White View Post

worth every penny
    Watching that again, 2 things stand out; Liverpool demonstrating a quality usually attributed to Saints - conceding from your own corner, and Puel showing some real animated emotion.

21. Default

Puel has become more animated while at Leicester. Might want to show it when asked "do you fear for your job?" An answer of "it is not my concern" may give the wrong impression. I know he is trying to say "it's not my decision to take, so rather than worry myself sick, I will do my utmost to win every game" ... but he doesn't say it.

Just watched that goal again another 10 times. As far as I'm concerned the bloke literally doesn't have to do anything for Saints again because he's responsible for the best celebration I've been involved in.

In this game he got dragged down causing a penalty (and interesting to note the Ralph didn't even trust him with the penalty kick).
    That's because in the prem you have nominated penalty takers, not if you win it you take it like on the playground.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Just watched that goal again another 10 times. As far as I'm concerned the bloke literally doesn't have to do anything for Saints again because he's responsible for the best celebration I've been involved in.
    He bought a load of credits with that goal. I wasn't there but watched with my young son and daughter and we all went mental.

I feel similar about Jon Viafara for his first play-off goal against Derby. 2-0 down, dead and buried and he gets us back in the game with his half volley. I quite literally pogo'd two rows of seats and nearly died through lack of oxygen to the brain. Anfield celebration was similar, without the pogoing. Too old these days.

Never ever watched that game back, so thought I'd do so now. Just listen to the noise when Jon scores our first to get us back in the tie. Shiver down my spine when I watched Rasiak gets the equaliser again. Easily the best game of football I've ever been to. Exhilarating to the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JxXqOsuw0k
    Last edited by Chez; 25-01-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Yes Chez, that Derby game is definitely one of my favourites even though we ended up losing and getting soaked through to our pants on the walk back to the car.

Remember feeling the stand shake when Rasiak scored the equaliser. An amazing rollercoaster of a match that's for sure.

Yes Chez, that Derby game is definitely one of my favourites even though we ended up losing and getting soaked through to our pants on the walk back to the car.

Remember feeling the stand shake when Rasiak scored the equaliser. An amazing rollercoaster of a match that's for sure.
    That and Man City away August 2012 are the best defeats I've ever been to

28. Default

Any word on what his injury was?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Johnson View Post
    I think Long is a very useful member of the squad, we need a more prolific goalscorer but in a squad of 22 Long has a place IMHO
    Long can still be useful, because he's fast and gives 100%, a nuisance for opposing defenses; bu his time at Saints is surely nearly up. Can't believe we'll keep him and Austin after this season, so long as we stay in the Prem. I'd be very disappointed by our summer's work if Long still has a place in our 22 man squad next season, rather than someone younger and more prolific (potentially at least).

Great interview that. Always liked Long, hated it when he lined up against us before cause he was always a nuisance! Hope he scores a few vital goals over the next few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by davefizzy14 View Post
    Great interview that. Always liked Long, hated it when he lined up against us before cause he was always a nuisance! Hope he scores a few vital goals over the next few weeks
    Long can’t score a few goals in a season, let alone a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Long can’t score a few goals in a season, let alone a few weeks.
    Get off his back. Like it said in the interview there have been a number of things that had affected him confidence wise!

Get off his back. Like it said in the interview there have been a number of things that had affected him confidence wise!
    Like a lack of ability.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Has he been banging Kenzie too?

Double post

36. Default

Get off his back? Likeable character who should have been shown the door two seasons ago. Now clearly in decline from a level that wasn't

that good.

I've never understood why managers don't try him on the wings. Would take the pressure off him a bit and play to his strengths. I think he'd be great with Ings. Creating space and tiring defences.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    I've never understood why managers don't try him on the wings. Would take the pressure off him a bit and play to his strengths. I think he'd be great with Ings. Creating space and tiring defences.
    I think he has been pretty terrible out wide when used there. He doesn't have a good enough touch and can't link up with full backs.

39. Default

He's basically an incredibly limited football player, with two key attributes which have enabled him to build a career. Pace, and hard work. Now he’s aging and these attributes are slowly diminishing as well, you will eventually be left with a lower league standard footballer.

He's never been a true goal scorer and never will be, he's incredibly frustrating to watch when he's your only outlet - but not so much when he's supporting others, like he was with Mane and Pelle etc. But yeah, he needs to be shipped off sharpish if we want a decent treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dig Dig View Post
    I think he has been pretty terrible out wide when used there. He doesn't have a good enough touch and can't link up with full backs.
    When Long has the ball, it usually ends up with the opposition as at the end of his runs, he loses control of it and either lets it run out of play or it goes to one of their players.

He’s not even that quick anymore is he?

42. Default

A couple of seasons ago he was useful but now he either miscontrols the ball, flubs an easy chance, or falls in a heap and then stays down while the other 9 outfielders try to defend. Shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

43. Default

It's not the popular thing to do, but I'm going to say it -- Well done Shane Long.

Goal today & the Leicester goal may prove very important.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    It's not the popular thing to do, but I'm going to say it -- Well done Shane Long.

Goal today & the Leicester goal may prove very important.
    He made a great impact today. One of his best sub performances for us I think.

The style suits him, and he is a good option from the bench.

Goal machine

I’ve always liked him ��

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Goal machine
    Yet another thing to credit Ralph with!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    He made a great impact today. One of his best sub performances for us I think.

The style suits him, and he is a good option from the bench.
    He had a very good game I thought. Other than a stupid, blatant dive just after he came on he was industrious, held the ball up well, caused panic in their defence and grabbed a goal. He also annoyed the Wolves fans which was funny.

Couldn't really have asked for any more from him today. Whether that translates into similar performances going forward who knows.

Will he make it 3 in 3 against the toon?