Shane Long

Saint Charlie

Long doesn't score nearly enough and that's his primary job. Way beyond time that he was shifted on.

I like Charlie but it's the same with him I'm afraid. His game is almost exclusively about goals and when he isn't scoring he doesn't offer a huge amount, time to move on.

Funnily the one I would have been most happy to see what he could do is the one that got sold, Gabbi. Think he could have been a decent player under Ralph.

Never really been a Long lover as such, but I'd be inclined to keep him. Of the options we currently have, Ings surely won't go anywhere this summer so it's the other three of Long, Austin and Gallagher who could be replaced.

Austin doesn't fit Ralph's style and Gallagher doesn't look like he's fancied, so surely they'd be out of the door first.

Long will never be the 12-15 goal a season striker we crave, but at least he's shown so far that he fits and doesn't seem the type to rock the boat if he's backup to someone. He's worth keeping around for me, even if that means letting him leave on a free at the end of the season.

Never really been a Long lover as such, but I'd be inclined to keep him. Of the options we currently have, Ings surely won't go anywhere this summer so it's the other three of Long, Austin and Gallagher who could be replaced.

Austin doesn't fit Ralph's style and Gallagher doesn't look like he's fancied, so surely they'd be out of the door first.

Long will never be the 12-15 goal a season striker we crave, but at least he's shown so far that he fits and doesn't seem the type to rock the boat if he's backup to someone. He's worth keeping around for me, even if that means letting him leave on a free at the end of the season.

All this.

Ings / Long / Obafemi / *New signing* would be a good line-up.

All this.

Ings / Long / Obafemi / *New signing* would be a good line-up.

Ings has missed 10 games through injury this season, and been benched for two games where he clearly hasn't been up to playing twice in quick succession. That's just a hair under a third of the season unavailable. I really hope whoever we bring in is an absolute nailed-on starter, otherwise that's a lot of slack for the unreliable finishing of Long and Obafemi to pick up.

• 2 months later...
What is the point of getting rid of a bench striker who has fantastic pace, scores a few goals and is a good guy to have around the club? Can you put forward some suggestions as to who we should sign and how much they would cost?

It's clear Long isn't going to be offloaded - I think he should be though, and a little "burst" of form late last season papers over the massive deficiencies in his game at 32. I'm not advocating replacing him with anyone; I'd rather use Obafemi and Sims to be the bench role players.

What is the point of getting rid of a bench striker who has fantastic pace, scores a few goals and is a good guy to have around the club? Can you put forward some suggestions as to who we should sign and how much they would cost?

It's clear Long isn't going to be offloaded - I think he should be though, and a little "burst" of form late last season papers over the massive deficiencies in his game at 32. I'm not advocating replacing him with anyone; I'd rather use Obafemi and Sims to be the bench role players.

Why? Clearly a nice guy, good to have around the dressing room, has another season in him and can offer something from the bench.

Why? Clearly a nice guy, good to have around the dressing room, has another season in him and can offer something from the bench.

We could bring back Hooiveld to do that for a fraction of what we're paying Long. I've never been in our dressing room (with the team anyway) but from all our media he doesn't seem anything special. A nice bloke who gets on with everyone but hardly the glue that binds the squad together.

He'll stick around for the last year of his contract. If he gets an extension I'll be pretty annoyed at how low we're aiming.

Yes, all of that's true - but he's at such a poor, clumsy level these days, and in the decline of his career, why not use the younger, talented players like Obafemi, Sims etc to achieve the same ends.

Yes, all of that's true - but he's at such a poor, clumsy level these days, and in the decline of his career, why not use the younger, talented players like Obafemi, Sims etc to achieve the same ends.
"Why not use the younger..."

Because they're not as effective as Long in that role.

• 4 months later...
Had a great game tonight IMO. I know he doesn't score many, but he suits Ralph's tactics and compliments Ings up front.
Yeah he was good. No matter how many times it appears he is done, he always seems to find his way back into the team.

Yeah he was good. No matter how many times it appears he is done, he always seems to find his way back into the team.

Yes - I'm in the "Long is past it" camp, but he played his role perfectly tonight for 70 minutes or so and the flick on for RBs goal was good.

Long is important for the high pressing game that puts opposition defences under pressure. And this is crucial as it hinders them getting to our defence, which is pony. Therefore he's a definite keep for me. Tireless runner. Wish he could finish, but you can't have everything...

Despite his shortcomings we are a better TEAM when he is in it.

I disagree, we have had plenty of appalling performances with him in the team. I'd agree he's looked good in the last two but they were at home to the two worst teams in the division. The last game he started was against Chelsea and whilst they were good, we just looked hopeless all over the park.

Long's pace a useful option this season if we persist with 2 up front. Wouldn't renew his contract though. Equally i think Obafemi has attributes to play that role.

Never want to see Long as a lone striker again as his finishing has become atrocious

We’ll be hard pressed to buy someone of Longs experience and Obafemi is not as good as Long, or at least not yet...he is still unproven IMO.

Long's pace a useful option this season if we persist with 2 up front. Wouldn't renew his contract though. Equally i think Obafemi has attributes to play that role.

Never want to see Long as a lone striker again as his finishing has become atrocious

Long is a far more effective player than Obafemi. His running last night was a factor in our constant pressing them back, especially in the first half. With long in the team we have the option of dropping the ball over the heads of their defenders and making them turn back towards their own goal. The ball tends to stick with Long better than Obafemi which gives time for the rst of our team to get upfield.

I would much rather have Long than Obafemi.

Long is important for the high pressing game that puts opposition defences under pressure. And this is crucial as it hinders them getting to our defence, which is pony. Therefore he's a definite keep for me. Tireless runner. Wish he could finish, but you can't have everything...

Yes, I agree with you. He has bags of energy for a pressing game, and that is what we need. Long to start games, run for 60 mins, then Boufal to replace him to make things happen.