Shane Long

Saint Charlie

I'm more interested in who has made up the rumour and why. Presume that the likely candidate is the agent.

I suspect it was totally made up by a portsmouth journalist who wanted to create some sensationalism.

The b side to that is it damages our club.

I suspect it was totally made up by a portsmouth journalist who wanted to create some sensationalism.

The b side to that is it damages our club.

Can you name any 'Portsmouth journalists' working for national newspapers?

I also wonder why any cunning plot to destabilise our club would involve a rumour of Liverpool looking at Shane Long. Surely you'd go for something a bit worse than that?

Koeman has said that we won't be selling Long?!?! this week.

We even have ITK snippets that say the same.

We are selling Pelle in the summer, hence Signing Austin...

Possibly but I was told yesterday Pelle has just bought a new house in Winchester to move out of his rented place which, if true (big if), doesn't seem like the actions of someone planning to leave soon.

Possibly but I was told yesterday Pelle has just bought a new house in Winchester to move out of his rented place which, if true (big if), doesn't seem like the actions of someone planning to leave soon.

Ahhh... the just bought a house in Winchester... stuff of legends.

Sounds like the actions of someone on their way, good bit of capital investment with the opportunity to rent it out to every Tom, Di ck and footballer.

Edited by VectisSaint

Was just going to post this myself. Nice to have a well-informed article on a Saints player for once.

Certainly agree with that. But he seems convinced that Liverpool are interested. Does anyone here actually have any evidence that (a) this is really the case; (b) Saints have any interest at all in selling him at least this window; or © that, having finally got more of a role Shane wants to leave at this stage? Agreed that in effect (and Juanmi aside) we have now three strikers often perhaps competing for only one place - but Ron thinks competition is good, and in any case we are now managing to play with two plus in any case we definitely needed better back-up.

True but I'd be buggered if I would go through the hassle of buying a house if I thought I'd be going else where in three and half months time.

Give the hassle to a personal assistant. Its not like you or me buying a house with sll the estate agent and solicitor arseholes, let alone dealing with a chain.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/stoke-will-be-patient-as-rumours-for-southampton-forward-long-west-brom-striker-berahino-continue-4114009?utm_source%3Dmoreover%26utm_medium%3Drss-feed%26utm_campaign%3DFeed-Latest%2BArticles

I know it isn't a national, but a web based publisher of rumour and opinion, but really, when have Stoke ever been connected to Long? This buying of Austin seems to have led to the most ridiculous number of stories about him on the presumption that we will be getting rid of him, which we have said we aren't. From that article Berhanio maybe as it seems a move is for the best for him and that both sides sort of realise it. But Long? Suddenly from going from being one of the most over priced forwards in the league, he has been elevated to one that half the league want for more (pro rata) than we paid for him. Than God the window closes in a week or so, as it is getting silly with all these stories showing that publications are desperate for "news" [sic] content.

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever his past history (before Saints) Shane seems to being applying himself well this season. He has genuine pace and more than a little guile when on the ball.

He is a sprinter, not a marathon runner, and you can see that by the 80th minute, it has really taken a toll on his energy levels and he's almost on his knees.

The rest of the time he is been a constant pain-in-the a** to opposing defenders who can't ignore him for a second. HDAJFU and is definitely worth his place in the start line-up.

Long has turned in a real shift every game whilst Pelle has been out. Pelle hasn't shown up a lot since the Autumn, and didn't shine much v.WHam either.

Whilst everyone is awaiting the Austin /Jay Rod partnership to flourish, Shane Long has become a vital part of the attack, and in the event of injury to the " non-scoring " Mane ..we have only the " non-scoring " Juanmi as any sort of back-up ..as Seager already out in loan.

It's more and more likely we will lose Pelle AND Mane in the summer, but I'd be happy to see Long and Tadic as an addition to an Austin/JayRod strike force.

Edited by david in sweden

• 2 months later...
Still the daftest post topic of the season by a country mile. It's very easy to question the judgment of people who supported this notion.

When the post was written Long was Pelle's understudy.

Once Koeman changed how he used Long that was the turning point and he has been great since then.

No point having Long and playing him out wide or for 10mins at the end when Pelle got tired.

Still the daftest post topic of the season by a country mile. It's very easy to question the judgment of people who supported this notion.

Once Koeman changed how he used Long that was the turning point and he has been great since then.

No point having Long and playing him out wide or for 10mins at the end when Pelle got tired.

Even when played out wide it was still clear for anyone with an eye for a player that Shane Long was a very useful asset.

To be fair to Long when Pelle had has injury and did not make the team, he took his chance and has excelled since that time make the strikers position his own.

Wonder if we might be looking behind the scenes to offload Long if that gives us some room to bring in someone the Manager actually rates and who suits the team better?

Long probably wants regular football (in his preferred position) ahead of the Euros and he won't get that here. He is also the most dispensable player who is still worth something, although his value will start to drop substantially the older he gets and less he plays so makes sense to cash in now.

If we could get something like £6m from either a lower half PL side (Sunderland?) or a Championship promotion hopeful then we could reinvest.

Long still a strange signing for me. Hasn't done any worse than at his other clubs but just doesnt seem to suit our style and his lack of a first touch almost renders him useless out wide which is why he is rarely used there now. For the price I think its one that the Club probably regrets as could have found someone better at those figures.

Considering the above and also his sizeable wages (which could make him hard to shift) I wouldn't be bothered if we sorted something out that gave us room to try something different.

Football is ruthless and sometimes you have to make tough decisions to look to improve. He isn't good enough.

Those last 4 words will haunt you forever

I wouldn't swap him for any other striker in this league bar Kane, Aguero and Vardy. £12m was par for the course when we bought him but is now actually looking like a bargain!!!

Lol I remember when spurs offered us Kane in a p/x for Schneiderlin.

It was before Kane started scoring and couldn't hit a barn door.

In hindsight, not sure if I'd preferred us to have done that deal now..probably not though, because we'd probably have sold Kane already to the highest bidder anyway.

Lol I remember when spurs offered us Kane in a p/x for Schneiderlin.

It was before Kane started scoring and couldn't hit a barn door.

In hindsight, not sure if I'd preferred us to have done that deal now..probably not though, because we'd probably have sold Kane already to the highest bidder anyway.

I thought it was Kane for Rodriguez, which I would have taken then anyway.

A lot of people still haven't grasped the reality that many strikers go through longer goal droughts at some stages of their careers.

Although every season there comes an Austin, Kane or Vardy ..the majority of them don't score consistantly.

At a time during the winter when Mane and Pelle went weeks without scoring and Tadic couldn't even get a start, Shane Long put in a shift and DAJFU every week.

Players can't /shouldn't only be judged by the number of goals they score, and Long is the most consistant trier I've seen in a Saints shirt for a very long time.

He is a constant problem for defenders and with better luck would have had many more goals.

I'm glad Koeman had patience with him - and somehow I feel - we haven't seen the best of him yet.

Nope, it was easy to see he was an asset to the team. If you know what makes a good player of course.

A lot of people still haven't grasped the reality that many strikers go through longer goal droughts at some stages of their careers.

Although every season there comes an Austin, Kane or Vardy ..the majority of them don't score consistantly.

At a time during the winter when Mane and Pelle went weeks without scoring and Tadic couldn't even get a start, Shane Long put in a shift and DAJFU every week.

Players can't /shouldn't only be judged by the number of goals they score, and Long is the most consistant trier I've seen in a Saints shirt for a very long time.

He is a constant problem for defenders and with better luck would have had many more goals.

I'm glad Koeman had patience with him - and somehow I feel - we haven't seen the best of him yet.

Also his running back and defensive work in winning balls back should not be underestimated it's like having an extra midfielder when looking to win the ball back

Wonder if we might be looking behind the scenes to offload Long if that gives us some room to bring in someone the Manager actually rates and who suits the team better?

Long probably wants regular football (in his preferred position) ahead of the Euros and he won't get that here. He is also the most dispensable player who is still worth something, although his value will start to drop substantially the older he gets and less he plays so makes sense to cash in now.

If we could get something like £6m from either a lower half PL side (Sunderland?) or a Championship promotion hopeful then we could reinvest.

Long still a strange signing for me. Hasn't done any worse than at his other clubs but just doesnt seem to suit our style and his lack of a first touch almost renders him useless out wide which is why he is rarely used there now. For the price I think its one that the Club probably regrets as could have found someone better at those figures.

Considering the above and also his sizeable wages (which could make him hard to shift) I wouldn't be bothered if we sorted something out that gave us room to try something different.

Football is ruthless and sometimes you have to make tough decisions to look to improve. He isn't good enough.

Those last 4 words will haunt you forever

That's why this thread was so stupid a team needs a squad and to sell a proven Prem striker was nuts!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and also demonstrates that expressing an opinion as though it was a statement of fact will often bite you on the @rse

:lol: Proper Charlie

• 4 weeks later...

Pat Dolan represents a lot of the Irish squad, including Seamus Coleman for example.

I'd like to think Pochettino is not that brazen to be sat next to a saints player's agent all the same. He appears to have retained amicable links within the club's hierarchy given his appearance at Melvin's testimonial

Pat Dolan represents a lot of the Irish squad, including Seamus Coleman for example.

I'd like to think Pochettino is not that brazen to be sat next to a saints player's agent all the same. He appears to have retained amicable links within the club's hierarchy given his appearance at Melvin's testimonial

** Kelvin obviously

To douse the fire somewhat, I guess some of you missed Trousers post in the England v Australia thread last night.

See post #82

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?56583-England-v-Australia/page2#.V0lHSYqkqnM

Agents can wheedle away all they like, but then when the Missus gets involved the ability to push water up hill might be handy!