January Hcdajfu time?

simo

Arsenal sign Mohamed Elneny from Basel for £5 million... seems like a shocking lack of ambition buying a player that cheap.

they can back it up with Cech, Ozil and Sanchez

3 of the best players in the whole league..

and wenger is routinely and constantly slated by most for not spending money

Some utterly hilariously wide of the mark posts these two are. :lol:

Why would a player run so hard to get a ball of an opposition if he wasnt interested?

If anyone who made a bad pass was deemed to be looking for a move, virtually all the football leagues players would be on the market

But, aren't they really?

Tough to compete as he again can stay locally rather than move down here. Shame but Everton bigger draw than us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be interesting to see how / where he fits in at Everton as I'd imagine he would like to play but only days ago Martinex claimed Coleman was one of the best players in the world (or something like that).

Be interesting to see how / where he fits in at Everton as I'd imagine he would like to play but only days ago Martinex claimed Coleman was one of the best players in the world (or something like that).

Thing is Byram ain't much a of RB nowa days

Tis fecking quite on Saints rumours isn't it?

That s because we have openly said that there is no point in bringing players to make up the numbers. If we sign players they have to be better than those in the first eleven.

Do we have the budget to do that in January? No, so we will probably not sign anyone.

Tis fecking quite on Saints rumours isn't it?

It is. No serious links to anyone really.

Koeman did say a lot depends on the fitness of Pelle and Jay and obviously Pelle is back and Long in decent form so do we really need a striker now or is it better to wait until the summer?

Unless they are quality they won't get many games.

Seems like we would be in need for Bryam far more than Everton, they have Coleman and many high quality players who can play RW/RM. Disappointed we haven't gone for him at that price. Will probably be a shrewd signing for that much like Delli Alli

I'm surprised we haven't pursued this one as we were meant to be keen in the summer of 2014, although at that time Leeds were meant to be seeking £6m.

Perhaps we don't think he has developed since in the way we'd have hoped, or perhaps Ross Wilson has just gone to sleep on the possibility (or just trawling Football Manager stats to find another cheap ill-fitting recruit from the continent).

It is. No serious links to anyone really.

Koeman did say a lot depends on the fitness of Pelle and Jay and obviously Pelle is back and Long in decent form so do we really need a striker now or is it better to wait until the summer?

Unless they are quality they won't get many games.

Although Pelle is available again, we do need other options.

Long's run of form is over what period ? His last game v Watford perhaps. His track record suggests he is unlikely to keep that up for the next match, and probably won't score again for 3or4 games.

Although Pelle is available again, we do need other options.

Long's run of form is over what period ? His last game v Watford perhaps. His track record suggests he is unlikely to keep that up for the next match, and probably won't score again for 3or4 games.

I agree with the principle but there aren't generally strikers better than Pelle and Long who are available in January for the sort of money we would be looking at.

It wasn't daft though was it.

Well said, those who do not see the value of Long do not understand football. He is on course for 12-15 goals this season, very decent and adds loads more than goals. He wont always be first choice but he is great off the bench when defenders are tired and he is great when we want to play a high tempo game. He was brilliant on Wednesday. I'd pay £12m again for him every time, the number is almost irrelevant nowadays.

Well said, those who do not see the value of Long do not understand football. He is on course for 12-15 goals this season, very decent and adds loads more than goals. He wont always be first choice but he is great off the bench when defenders are tired and he is great when we want to play a high tempo game. He was brilliant on Wednesday. I'd pay £12m again for him every time, the number is almost irrelevant nowadays.

Would you pay him 50k a week with him being one of the highest earners in the squad? Do you think in a world of FFP, where we can only increase our wage bill by a certain amount every season, that maybe having a squad player as one of your highest earners isn't the best use of funds?

I like Long, I wanted us to sign him when MP was here as I thought he would fit in well to the system, but the numbers involved with him make little sense IMO

I've taken to just ignoring the fee and wages and judging him on performances and at the minute I'd have him in the team without doubt as his contribution is good, however if Liverpool or anyone else offered us a get your money back deal ie 12m then I would take it as I just feel we could do better for the fee and wages which isn't to say Long is rubbish.

Classic case of the black and white polarisation of views on here it seems impossible for anyone to say he's decent players have to either be amazing or terrible bit like Soares and Stelk both have been solid they just aren't amazing but people instantly label them as rubbish hmmmm....

Would you pay him 50k a week with him being one of the highest earners in the squad? Do you think in a world of FFP, where we can only increase our wage bill by a certain amount every season, that maybe having a squad player as one of your highest earners isn't the best use of funds?

I like Long, I wanted us to sign him when MP was here as I thought he would fit in well to the system, but the numbers involved with him make little sense IMO

You seem to want to justify that the price is too high by saying he is a squad player. The vital point that you and many others do not get is that Premier League football is all about THE SQUAD. In every team especially in clubs of our size we will have a handful of players who likely play every game or at least the majority. In our club the quality of our "squad players" as you put them is vital to our quality overall. The problem with talking numbers is that they all sound ridiculous compared to us mere mortals who earn less per year than they do each week so they appear high. The club however simply (although it isn't simple) need to balance the books to fall in line with FFO as you say whilst maximising quality. Looking at individual players is a mistake, because some we will over pay in some people's opinions but under pay in others. Given how much we have sold players for supposedly paying over the odds for one player really shouldn't be seen as a problem. To be fair if Long plays how he did Wednesday every week he's worth double!!

SPOT ON!

Well said.

Andy Brassell@andybrassell 9m9 minutes ago

Lucas Ocampos move to Southampton (not Fiorentina) agreed last weekend says @francefootball - then he did ankle ligaments for OM v Guingamp

Maybe we dodged a bullet anyway? France Football's website (http://www.francefootball.fr/news/Quand-l-om-a-cru-se-debarrasser-d-ocampos/624676) says his value for money has been almost zero, that his tactical intelligence is far from perfect, and he gets on the nerves of some of his team-mates, etc... Then again, was it ever a serious Saints bid, that makes 37 people (I missed a few no doubt) that we've been "linked" by the media with since November?

You seem to want to justify that the price is too high by saying he is a squad player. The vital point that you and many others do not get is that Premier League football is all about THE SQUAD. In every team especially in clubs of our size we will have a handful of players who likely play every game or at least the majority. In our club the quality of our "squad players" as you put them is vital to our quality overall. The problem with talking numbers is that they all sound ridiculous compared to us mere mortals who earn less per year than they do each week so they appear high. The club however simply (although it isn't simple) need to balance the books to fall in line with FFO as you say whilst maximising quality. Looking at individual players is a mistake, because some we will over pay in some people's opinions but under pay in others. Given how much we have sold players for supposedly paying over the odds for one player really shouldn't be seen as a problem. To be fair if Long plays how he did Wednesday every week he's worth double!!

Whether I or you think he's any good is irrelevant to be honest, as far as Koeman is concerned he is third choice striker, yet he is probably in the top 3 or 4 earners in the squad and it's very likely he earns more than Pelle or Rodriguez. I simply don't think that's a particularly smart use of money when we have been set limits on what we can spend by FFP. The actual numbers are irrelevant to me, it's where that fits in with the rest of the squad that's important. If Shane Long was our first choice striker every week (I think he should be by the way as he offers a lot more than Pelle) then it would make sense, but the reality is that Pelle will be back in Ronald's team tomorrow and Long will likely be on the bench again very soon. This is Koeman afterall.

You're probably right about us underpaying some players currently, but what do you think will happen when those players come to renegotiate their contracts and they see third choice players earning that sort of money? It drives their wage demands up

Maybe we dodged a bullet anyway? France Football's website (http://www.francefootball.fr/news/Quand-l-om-a-cru-se-debarrasser-d-ocampos/624676) says his value for money has been almost zero, that his tactical intelligence is far from perfect, and he gets on the nerves of some of his team-mates, etc... Then again, was it ever a serious Saints bid, that makes 37 people (I missed a few no doubt) that we've been "linked" by the media with since November?

We should avoid South American players like the plague.

Unless you're buying the top drawer players theres too much risk involved. Surprised we haven't learnt that - it has been a costly mistake in the recent past.

Whether I or you think he's any good is irrelevant to be honest, as far as Koeman is concerned he is third choice striker, yet he is probably in the top 3 or 4 earners in the squad and it's very likely he earns more than Pelle or Rodriguez. I simply don't think that's a particularly smart use of money when we have been set limits on what we can spend by FFP. The actual numbers are irrelevant to me, it's where that fits in with the rest of the squad that's important. If Shane Long was our first choice striker every week (I think he should be by the way as he offers a lot more than Pelle) then it would make sense, but the reality is that Pelle will be back in Ronald's team tomorrow and Long will likely be on the bench again very soon. This is Koeman afterall.

You're probably right about us underpaying some players currently, but what do you think will happen when those players come to renegotiate their contracts and they see third choice players earning that sort of money? It drives their wage demands up

Where has this £50k p/w / high wage that Shane Long is on come from? Apologies if I've missed something along the way

Where has this £50k p/w / high wage that Shane Long is on come from? Apologies if I've missed something along the way

Football Manager ;)

Of course! How could I forget that fountain of knowledge! :blush:

The press reported he was on £50,000 p/w at Hull...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2541257/Playing-Long-game-Big-spending-Hull-splash-6m-land-Ireland-striker-Shane.htm

After a £12m transfer t Saints his agent would have to be pretty **** for him to get a wage decrease, if anything it probably went up.

1) not worth getting worried about facts that may well be made up.

2) and ones you can't control!

3) his transfer fee was not high, for a forward compared with many others performing a lot worse

4) people moan when squad isn't big, no quality cover, we should only have first team standard players...then moan that we waste money on squad players....can't win! (Like all moaning that we need 4 CBs then saying one is waste of money because 4th choice doesn't play much lol!)

5) he is the hardest working, best attitude player you could hope for. I know running around isn't everything (I would try hard if picked) but he makes huge difference to how we play with his work rate.

Unless you're buying the top drawer players theres too much risk involved. Surprised we haven't learnt that - it has been a costly mistake in the recent past.

As a South american I feel this a little bit offensive. What South American players in general bring is a burning desire to win. They have passion- I look at many Southampton players and it looks like they don't really care if they win or lose. They treat it as a regular day time job. They sing just to go to bigger club, like if the club we love was a stepping stone. Heck, even African players like Mane and Wanyama don't seem to care enough.

It's just a case of bad scouting to sing an unprofessional player like Osvaldo. I really don't know about Gaston, but if he feels he has been treated unfairly I would understand.

Are you suggesting that Osvaldo, Ramirez, Tejera, Sarmiento, Delgado, Chala, Arias, and St Juste were unsuccessful?