January Hcdajfu time?

simo

I's also suggest that the wages for our new signings (leaving aside Long) - now we've stopped signing 'names' are much lower than the players we've replaced. Either way, it's safe to say we're both in the dark, though you wouldnt think that from your usual bluster.

Well no, we know that the wage bill went up from 13/14 to 14/15, it's in the accounts. Then if you're suggesting that the sums paid to Cedric, Juanmi, Stekelenburg, VanDijk Clasie, Romeu and Martina+ Gaston coming back are less than those paid to Morgan, Toby and Clyne then I'd suggest that you need to think again.

Not sure what you mean there

Players out: Lambert, Lallana, Chambers, Shaw, Lovren, Cork, Morgan, Clyne, (Toby)

Players in: Mane, Long, Tadic, Bertrand, Forster, Pelle, Gardos, (Toby), VVD, Stek, Clasie, Juanmi, Romeu, Cedric, (Caulker) plus a new contract for Fonte and paying up Osvaldo's contract early

I would have thought it's fairly obvious our wage bill is significantly higher now than it was 2 years ago. The board have used some of the funds to invest in the wage bill clearly, whether they needed to or not due to the increase in TV money is a more important question.

This summer I expect Mane, Wanyama and possibly Pelle to go (and more we will get rid of Ramirez's wages) and 6 or 7 first team squad signings made, which would require the wage bill to grow again, hopefully this is where we will start to see the new TV deal at play

Only that I assume that we are not paying wages associated with the upper levels of the Premier League. Our total wage bill may have actually gone up but I fully expect that all those who left went for higher earnings, even Cork. A couple of expensive long-term injuries and a couple of expensive flops won't have helped either.

Well no, we know that the wage bill went up from 13/14 to 14/15, it's in the accounts. Then if you're suggesting that the sums paid to Cedric, Juanmi, Stekelenburg, VanDijk Clasie, Romeu and Martina+ Gaston coming back are less than those paid to Morgan, Toby and Clyne then I'd suggest that you need to think again.

But these weren't the only players that we moved on in the summer of 2015, we also stopped paying Cropper, Hooiveld, Mayuka, Osvaldo, Rowe, Sinclair and Johns.

But these weren't the only players that we moved on in the summer of 2015, we also stopped paying Cropper, Hooiveld, Mayuka, Osvaldo, Rowe, Sinclair and Johns.

But Jos and Osvaldo had been out on loan, perhaps we were subsidising those a bit though. The rest are just small beer and probably don't make half of Gaston alone.

I doubt the money saved on Cropper, Johns, Sinclair and Rowe goes further than paying Martina

Quite, and then there's the vast hike in agent's fees, nigh on doubled to 5.3 million £ or similar. Say an extra 2.5 million or so, that's just the same sort of sum as if we still paid Morgan or Clyne this season.

And I even forget Caulker in my calculations.

Not entirely my point. My point is that we get new incoming players on cheaper, longer contracts rather than face a situation where we have to resign players on more expensive ones. Clearly, Clyne was never going to stay once Liverpool came calling, though we were braced to give him a huge pay rise, even with clear wage structures in place - one that was probably much higher than the subsequent wage we offered Cedric. Other things being, resigning a PL regular -and they don't necessarily have to be world beaters (e.g. Cork?), is subject to greater inflationary pressures than hoovering up less established talent or talent from Europe's less affluent leagues. In other words, you fail to view the problem in dynamic (as opposed to static) terms, though any long-term club worth it's salt will be planning in exactly this way.

Edited by shurlock

With the call on here for us to buy Austin from QPR, I see he's injured again and out for a while according to

commentary on sky.

Injured a lot it seems, not sure we want to spend what would be a decent fee for someone with that kind of record

"injured"

the day the window opens.....:nod:

"injured"

the day the window opens.....:nod:

He was injured mid December (pulled his hammy in training after the 2-2 draw with Brighton). Hasselbaink says he will be out for a few more weeks yet. He has already missed half of Rangers games this season due to injury. Do we really need another injured striker?

Bournemouth confirm loan signing of Juan Iturbe from Roma.

Option to buy £16m.

Nice!

Haven't we learnt that South Americans are a 'no go' for us.

Our experiences of them have been pretty dire.Guly aside, of course,

Bournemouth confirm loan signing of Juan Iturbe from Roma.

Option to buy £16m.

Nice!

Interesting bit on the Mirror site about him...

Why’s he moving on?

Basically, the painful inconsistency. Was excellent for Verona but after a bright start in Rome has really flattered to deceive. Garcia has had enough and has a number of options for his 4-3-3 formation in front of the Argentine (including Gervinho and ex-Spurs winger Iago Falque).

Interesting bit on the Mirror site about him...

Why’s he moving on?

Basically, the painful inconsistency. Was excellent for Verona but after a bright start in Rome has really flattered to deceive. Garcia has had enough and has a number of options for his 4-3-3 formation in front of the Argentine (including Gervinho and ex-Spurs winger Iago Falque).

It's a loan. Much like Elia and Djuricic.

No real risk for Bournemouth

A south american from Italy, what could go wrong? ;)

He's a name, but still hasn't 'done' it in a big league.

Say what you like but Bournemouth are having a go and are being pro active in the market. You were the one that was telling me it was going to be a disaster when Cortese left as we were going to sell all our players and now you are the first to say everything's great. Strange.

Just seen a foreign type chappie talking closely with someone in the Master Builder in West end, didn't look closely at him,both very sharply dressed. White Bentley parked outside, reg no 110 BP. Anybody with those initials we could be interested in?

The sort of signing we should have made 12 months ago. When we were in a very strong position

Agreed.

Add Sam byram, another cut-price player we should be looking at.

Disappointing we aren't seizing these opportunities to add a young/hungry British core to the team

Agreed.

Add Sam byram, another cut-price player we should be looking at.

Disappointing we aren't seizing these opportunities to add a young/hungry British core to the team

No doubt Ross Wilson* is working on it !

*the Jock we brought in from Huddersfield in case the name is incorrect.

Last January we needed a new striker as we only had Long, Tadic, Pelle and Mane. Currently we only have Mane Long and Tadic. We didnt buy anyone and we faded to seventh albeit a great position. Koeman has stated this week that he will only sign a striker if at the end of this coming week it looks like Pelle (and JRod to a lesser degree) are not going to get back very quickly. He has also said this week that despite the 8-0, 6-0, 4-0 wins even last season as well as this we do not score enough or consistently enough. Last season we had a fantastic "back 7" (Forster, Bertrand, Fonte, Alderwield, Clyne, Morgan and Wanyama) and for many reasons we only currently have 3 of them in the side. The effect of the change has been significant since the start of the season because despite what happened last season new players do not always gel that quickly, especially not a whole unit like that. With this is mind, last season we were the best defensive unit so the lack of goals was not as important, however this season we are letting in almost twice as many therefore the lack of goals has a much bigger impact. The team though are in a lot of patches still playing good attractive football but without the goals, the pressure mounts but also this seems to prove to me that its not in the midfield/defensive "back 7" tat needs help its the front 4. So if Koeman/the club (whoever, its all the same in the end) commit the same error as last season then we really will be in trouble. We did get Djuricic and the winger (I forget his name!!) but they had little impact. We need to look to sign someone who can come straight in, hard of course but we need to do it and then balance the books in the summer by getting rid of Wanyama, Yoshida, Cedric, Juanmi, JWP and go again. This window will tell us alot about Koeman and alot about the club.

Last January we needed a new striker as we only had Long, Tadic, Pelle and Mane. Currently we only have Mane Long and Tadic. We didnt buy anyone and we faded to seventh albeit a great position. Koeman has stated this week that he will only sign a striker if at the end of this coming week it looks like Pelle (and JRod to a lesser degree) are not going to get back very quickly. .

None of whom can be relied upon as a regular goalscorer though, that is what worries me more than the current injury status. Yes, its better to have more options, but if we're replacing one bloke who regularly fires blanks with another I'm not sure how that bucks the trend.

None of whom can be relied upon as a regular goalscorer though, that is what worries me more than the current injury status. Yes, its better to have more options, but if we're replacing one bloke who regularly fires blanks with another I'm not sure how that bucks the trend.

How much would a 20 goal a season striker typically cost?

How much would a 20 goal a season striker typically cost?

A proven one would probably be out of our pocket, unless we're talking of Austin, injury record and all.

I'd settle for one who could get 15, or as we are at the moment, one who might at least get into double figures.

But with our proven and acclaimed scouting network we should be seeking an up and coming one.