January Hcdajfu time?

simo

Think its pretty well nailed on that Caulker will be gone very soon, most likely to Palace on a permanent. That's probably why he wasn't in the squad on Saturday. We don't have any say in the matter, Rangers are looking to sell and there is allegedly interest from a few teams.

Just hope we get some money back for him, he's atrocious, one of the worst CB's in this league.

I was referring to his reputation as a destructive influence on the team because of his attitude - Roy Keane wasn't a particularly nice bloke either but was committed to the cause of winning and to his team. I'd have him in my team whether a nice bloke or not. I'm not so sure the same could be said of Shelvey; clearly a gifted player but not wanted where he is. Monk had issues with him last year I seem to remember, and he was dropped because of it.

Comparing Tadic with Ziyech is pretty silly, totally different players. Tadic always has been a physical guy and always used his technique and physique in his play. Look at games from him at the Olympics with Serbia and compare it with his years at Groningen, Twente or even now. His play style is exactly the same and still uses the same tricks simply because he doesnt have the pace and feet to do otherwise.

Ziyech on the other hand does have pace and his feet are a lot quicker as Tadic for example, so physical strength is a lot less important in his game. Ziyech reached his ceiling in the Eredivisie and needs to move abroad as soon as possible.

If you want to compare players you should probably compare Ziyech with Eriksen. Ziyech is physically better (more pace and stamina) as Eriksen, who's doing pretty good at Spurs so i dont see why Ziyech wouldnt be ready for a move to the PL. If you ask me, from all the dozens of players that moved to the PL from the Eredivisie over the years i have the least amount of doubt about Ziyech. And people only doubt about him because he doesnt play at one of the big clubs in Holland, same thing happened with Virgil who wasnt even good enough for the top clubs in Holland according to everyone else...

And Haller would be a waste of money really, i dont get why people rate him so high. Slow on the first yards, slow feet, not explosive, not that great with the head and doesnt have a great shot. Most goals he makes even come from penalty's, he's decent in link-up play but thats about it. Then i would pay a few million more and get Selke from Leipzig (now that would be a investment that makes sense) or give Atletico a call and get Baston, who might be even cheaper as Haller. Plenty of young strikers around who have a lot more to offer then Haller.

Oh, I just compared Ziyech with Tadic because he's another technical gifted player from FC Twente and the latter does have his problems with the pace and the power of the PL, that's all. I agree, Ziyech has the "faster feet" but if he's fast enough to stay out of duels? I have my doubts and surely you will agree that he looks fragile compared to the average defender in the PL. But I would like him to prove me wrong as he's one of the truly gifted players left in the Eredivisie. Too bad he won't play for the Dutch national team.

Though Haller is not the fastest around he does add something to a team like FC Utrecht in the penalty area and I rate him higher than Milik from Ajax or Kramer from Feyenoord don't you? However, like I said above, it will be a big gamble when Koeman buys him. But then again, Leicester gambled right with Mahrez who also played for a second division club in France...

What money? If we've paid a loan fee we won't get it back that's for sure.

Actually if the season long loan is cancelled by Rangers because they sell him then I guess we would be compensated for the portion of the season left, that's not really getting anything back, but at least would cut our losses.

Don't think its made up agent rowlocks either, hard to believe I know but some people still think he is a decent CB despite what he has shown for us. The Sunderland connection is supposedly not a rumour, they have made an approach to Rangers.

I was referring to his reputation as a destructive influence on the team because of his attitude - Roy Keane wasn't a particularly nice bloke either but was committed to the cause of winning and to his team. I'd have him in my team whether a nice bloke or not. I'm not so sure the same could be said of Shelvey; clearly a gifted player but not wanted where he is. Monk had issues with him last year I seem to remember, and he was dropped because of it.

I was reading some comments on a Swansea forum about Shelvey, they are similar to the sort of comments Wanyama is getting on here.

Comparing Tadic with Ziyech is pretty silly, totally different players. Tadic always has been a physical guy and always used his technique and physique in his play. Look at games from him at the Olympics with Serbia and compare it with his years at Groningen, Twente or even now. His play style is exactly the same and still uses the same tricks simply because he doesnt have the pace and feet to do otherwise.

Ziyech on the other hand does have pace and his feet are a lot quicker as Tadic for example, so physical strength is a lot less important in his game. Ziyech reached his ceiling in the Eredivisie and needs to move abroad as soon as possible.

If you want to compare players you should probably compare Ziyech with Eriksen. Ziyech is physically better (more pace and stamina) as Eriksen, who's doing pretty good at Spurs so i dont see why Ziyech wouldnt be ready for a move to the PL. If you ask me, from all the dozens of players that moved to the PL from the Eredivisie over the years i have the least amount of doubt about Ziyech. And people only doubt about him because he doesnt play at one of the big clubs in Holland, same thing happened with Virgil who wasnt even good enough for the top clubs in Holland according to everyone else...

And Haller would be a waste of money really, i dont get why people rate him so high. Slow on the first yards, slow feet, not explosive, not that great with the head and doesnt have a great shot. Most goals he makes even come from penalty's, he's decent in link-up play but thats about it. Then i would pay a few million more and get Selke from Leipzig (now that would be a investment that makes sense) or give Atletico a call and get Baston, who might be even cheaper as Haller. Plenty of young strikers around who have a lot more to offer then Haller.

"Tadic a physical guy?" - Oh really?

Pardew is in for both Shelvey and Austin.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interesting that Both Palace and Leicester are both looking to significantly strengthen based on their position in the league to have a right crack at the top 4. Saints on the other hand last season didn't take the opportunity. Disappointing but I Understand why not.

I am not expecting any signings in or out of any significance this January. We just have to accept that last seasons fun and games are the best we can really expect until someone comes in with a desire to bankroll the jump to the next level.

I know it is only shoot, but we are being linked to Hyun Jun-Suk of Vitoria Setubal in the Portuguese league - anyone know anything about this bloke?

http://www.shoot.co.uk/southampton-one-player-saints-could-sign-in-january/?

I think it's a joke name, then again I have a pythonesque sense of humour.

Then again he has played for dutch outfits in the past so who knows.

"Tadic a physical guy?" - Oh really?

He is, in that he uses his body strength to protect the ball pretty well.

Exactly this. Tadic aint no Wanyama or something but he uses his body a lot in the way he plays. Thats what i mean with a physical guy, not necessary extremely strong physically but when he turns his back into it (and he does that a lot), not that many guys get him of the ball.

Leicester have just signed Demari Gray from Birmingham, a very highly rated, young winger. Fee was undisclosed but reported for about £3.5 million. A bit annoying as we were linked with him previously, and he really looked a prospect and I think that fee if it's true will be a real steal in hte long run.... not bad at any rate for an English player.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/04/leicester-sign-demarai-gray-birmingham

If we'd made a few cracking signings like this in January last year we might have finished in the Champions League like Leicester probably will this season.

Still think bringing players in is unlikely with Koeman saying no one is leaving. Our squad is too big and it's not helping us form a team. Midfield is a mess. People moan about JWP but he never has a run in the team in one position. He could play well with Wanyama if Wanyama was on form, but he isn't. Romeu, maybe. With Clasie we'd be too small and weak I think. I'd hoped than when Morgan left, due to being just about unreplaceable, we'd let JWP and Reed take the slot, maybe sign someone like Romeu to compete with Wanyama, and spend the money on improving the Davis position in front of them. Clasie isn't terrible, but poor fitness, cost us a fair bit and isn't that great.

Have 2 right backs so seems unlikely to sign another. Would we sign a striker with Pelle, Long, Rodriguez and Seager here? Ramirez needs to go obviously, Caulker needs to go, waste of space, Juanmi too given Koeman just isn't going to play him. Would gladly see us streamlining a bit, it wouldn't hurt the first team and would prepare us for the summer.

Why wouldnt we? J-Rod is injured and it's yet to be proven that he will ever get back to where he was, and Seager is totally unproven.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/crystal-palace/12084979/Crystal-Palace-target-move-for-QPR-defender-Steven-Caulker.html

Palace linked with Caulker again. Unfortunately the story also states there is no option to cancel the loan in the original deal which may complicate getting rid of him.

Actually the article doesn't state that there is no option, only that hey believe there is no get out clause, in other words they have no idea. Clubs can always cancel a loan, but Saints would have to agree if there is no clause, but unless we are going to buy him ourselves (highly unlikely I hope) then we aren't going to stand in the way are we, we already know what its like having players who don't want to be here, don't need another one. Note that Boscombe also interested now.

Wont be buying a striker now as we've recalled Sam Gallagher..

To be honest, I like Sam but I would rather we splash the cash on someone with Prem experience who knows where the goal is.

Surely we'll try and find a league 1 club for him? Same with Jack Stephens?

Not sure kids who can't get championship games are quite ready for the Prem yet.

Wont be buying a striker now as we've recalled Sam Gallagher..

Its likely to more be a case that these are the two players we have out on loan that aren't getting games. Saints will probably want to see them in training fro a bit and loan them out to a club more likely to give them the gametime they need.

Surely we'll try and find a league 1 club for him?

Probably.

Same with Jack Stephens?

I doubt it, Stephens has already shown he can be a top player in League One. He wasn't able to be a starter for the team at the top of the Championship, but that doesn't then mean he needs to go back to League One. A lower Championship team than Middlesbrough would be a better option.

Its likely to more be a case that these are the two players we have out on loan that aren't getting games. Saints will probably want to see them in training fro a bit and loan them out to a club more likely to give them the gametime they need.

Probably.

I doubt it, Stephens has already shown he can be a top player in League One. He wasn't able to be a starter for the team at the top of the Championship, but that doesn't then mean he needs to go back to League One. A lower Championship team than Middlesbrough would be a better option.

Cant be much worse than Martina and Cedric at RB, wouldn't be the worse of ideas, he played there a lot for Plymouth IIRC.