January Hcdajfu time?

simo

Haven't Bournemouth already been caught foul of ffp?

Let's see how they get on medium-long term.

Chickenfeed Championship FFP and that allowed them to get to the eldorado of the PL and it's megamillions.

They'll get a bit of a fine but what do they care, they're in the PL with special FFP rules for accessionary clubs giving them a virtual carte blanche. FFP is just a joke anyway, anyone with a bit of savvy can get round it. Even Wenger said it's as dead as a Dodo.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Chickenfeed Championship FFP and that allowed them to get to the eldorado of the PL and it's megamillions.

They'll get a bit of a fine but what do they care, they're in the PL with special FFP rules for accessionary clubs giving them a virtual carte blanche. FFP is just a joke anyway, anyone with a bit of savvy can get round it. Even Wenger said it's as dead as a Dodo.

So why do we let it affect our contract and buying decisions?

Why is it dead as a dodo?

Why is it dead as a dodo?

It's in here somewhere

http://news.arseblog.com/2015/08/wenger-ffp-is-gone/

The main problem is twofold, a) clubs with unique owner/sponsors had their appeals upheld after being sanctioned under the original rulings and b) there were threatened civil court cases because FFP rules in their original form prevented owners from investing in their businesses to develop them, cases that would probably have been upheld in any civil court.

Edited by Window Cleaner

It's in here somewhere

http://news.arseblog.com/2015/08/wenger-ffp-is-gone/

The main problem is twofold, a) clubs with unique owner/sponsors had their appeals upheld after being sanctioned under the original rulings and b) there were threatened civil court cases because FFP rules in their original form prevented owners frominvesting in their businesses to develop them, cases that would probably have been upheld in any civil court.

So none of the fines are going to happen, QPR etc?

Because to les thats a good excuse to tell us fans why we cant buy a top player , however stoke can afford 80k on shaquiri with smaller attendances and incomings, as mentioned im sure it can be got round

And is being gotten round all around the continent apart from in the SO postal districts. Owners can accept losses of up to 105 million over 3 years by injecting equity, fictional sponsors can be found to increase commercial revenues etc, but if your owner doesn't want to invest 35 million a season we'll then you're not on the same playing field. As I have said many times before the main Liebherr branch could bung us say 20 million for shirt sponsorship, port town, cranes, straddle carriers etc would make it sort of rentable to most eyes,...see commercial revenues, our owner could then make it up to them for some reason or other...consultancy fees etc, all perfectly above board and passable cos it's what Citeh and PSG are doing, however if they don't want to then what can you do..

Edited by Window Cleaner

Because to les thats a good excuse to tell us fans why we cant buy a top player , however stoke can afford 80k on shaquiri with smaller attendances and incomings, as mentioned im sure it can be got round

What is Stoke's playing staff wage billed compared to ours?

So none of the fines are going to happen, QPR etc?

No idea but as a percentage of the PL revenues that they brought about they're probably nigh on negligeable. Take Bournemouth, all they fell foul of was the rule limiting losses to 6 million a season. But they're guaranteed some 150 million in PL funding alone even if they go down this time, add on the ticket revenue hike to boot, so if they catch a fine of a million, it's just a drop in the created ocean.

No idea.

Right. Any fine will more than £1m. And considering FFP is relatively in it's infancy, I would be surprised to see it evolve based on changes in circumstances, such as fines being ignored or big increases in tv money.

It was a bit over ours in 2014, probably still is but they're a bit better off on the commercial side I think.

Right, so the post above re Stoke didn't make a huge amount of sense. Plus their owners sink a fair bit into them or have done in the past.

Overhead a conversation about Manchester United on my way to work this morning, and it got me wondering if Antonio Valencia would be a realistic and sensible transfer target?

I'm not sure quite how far down the pecking order he has slipped, maybe if he's still getting time every couple of games then he wouldn't consider a switch here, but as well as having PL experience he would also give us an actual right-sided player rather than shoe-horning someone else out there, plus is decent defensively too. Wages might be a stumbling block, always the trouble with players at the big clubs.

Overhead a conversation about Manchester United on my way to work this morning, and it got me wondering if Antonio Valencia would be a realistic and sensible transfer target?

I'm not sure quite how far down the pecking order he has slipped, maybe if he's still getting time every couple of games then he wouldn't consider a switch here, but as well as having PL experience he would also give us an actual right-sided player rather than shoe-horning someone else out there, plus is decent defensively too. Wages might be a stumbling block, always the trouble with players at the big clubs.

Isn't he out injured until Feb or March or something like that?

Every other team in the league seems to have more money than Saints, that is despite the fact we are the only team to turn profits in the last 2 transfer windows, and on the back of 2 record years of TV revenues...

There will be questions asked when teams like Bournemouth, Swansea, Palace and Leicester have both more ambition that us and a better ability to meet those ambitions.

The board are looking utterly clueless atm and their whole club policy shows a complete lack of removal from what the fans want. Myself and many others would settle for a scrap every season with some decent attacking football and some home grown players from the academy. Instead they sign a bunch of european mercenaries as filler men and send the kids on loan. And ultimately we have crappy football where we can't even score and no kids!!

I think most saints fans would be far happier with the current run of form if we were at least seeing players like Seager, Gallagher, McCartney etc in the squad... If the club aren't going to give us this then they could at least sign some real quality rather than fillers. We may have had a smaller squad last year, but we still beat Everton 3-0 with 7 U21's in the match squad.... The reason being is that the kids are pretty decent and it really means something to them when they play.... Not just about money.

Either the board go out and sign a top quality striker / player for once... or they stop padding out the squad and let the kids have a crack. I think the fans are getting rapidly fed up with signing average players that block the kid's progression and don't really do it on the pitch. Don't know what Southampton Way the board bang on about, but to me its seeing the next home grown academy player on the pitch... I.e. watching Oxlade bang in those wonder goals in League 1, or watching an 18year old Luke shaw dump grant holt on his backside, or Lallana's début slalom and goal vs west brom in the championship 1-1 draw...

Give us the kids, starting with Seager and Gallagher please. I'll be happy for the rest of the season if we blood the nippers and come 17th ffs.

Agree with what Saint86 has said, Why are we not giving the youth a run out? what has happened to players like Harry Reed? / Ryan Seager

Transfer wise how much money do we have available? surely there is money available? personally I don't think we should bring in more Dutch talent but I think we should raid the likes of the Championship and bring in some quality youth players who have potential. Players like Will Hughes, Tom Ince, Byram

PARDEW: NO INTEREST IN AUSTIN

Strong words from Crystal Palace boss Alan Pardew this afternoon, as he says his club have no interest in QPR striker Charlie Austin. Former Palace boss Neil Warnock had suggested Austin would be a good addition for the Eagles.

"Warnock was a manager here, and he didn't do very well, so I'm not really interested in his opinion," Pardew said. "Charlie Austin is of no interest to us."

Maybe this should sound a(nother) warning to some of our 'wantaway' stars? Maybe it's better to be an important player at a so-called smaller club than a bit part player at a larger club? Unless the move is just a money gathering exercise.

City paid far more than he was worth, Bony's trouble is that he's thick as a block of wood. When you're behind Aguero, well you need to be smart and pretty good to take the starters role. He's a typical big lump striker, except that he isn't very tall. Defences are getting better and better and the thick and uninventive will get found out.

Stoke now linked with Imbula

Seems quite genuine:

http://m.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stoke-City-transfer-news-Mark-Hughes-coy-Porto/story-28480842-detail/story.html

All the mid table PL sides, in fact all the PL aside from the top 5 or 6 are interested in the same players pretty much. The standard required makes the pool who aren't already at a top European side or financially unavailable pretty small.

Maybe this should sound a(nother) warning to some of our 'wantaway' stars? Maybe it's better to be an important player at a so-called smaller club than a bit part player at a larger club? Unless the move is just a money gathering exercise.

I've been saying this for years but they all still seem to be lured by the dosh rather than guaranteed regular playing time.

Bony unhappy over his role at City - HCDAJFU?

http://ble.ac/1mIsX2J

He must be on a small fortune. Which counts us out, not that City would allow him to leave now.

Never understood why City signed him. Extremely stationary striker, albeit with great strength and a decent finish,. But if you are try to compete with Barca etc. you should surely be looking for more than that. Preferred Djecko myself.

Koeman confirmed in the second part of his presser that we want to bring in a striker and he isn't looking to bring in anyone in another position.

Seemed a bit more on the likely side of getting someone than ge was previously when he said it depended on injuries.

So any links for non strikers are likely to be either bull**** or interest for the summer.

Edit: here are the typed comments

http://mobile.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20160107-ronald-koeman-press-southampton-crystal-palace-fa-cup-2889145.aspx

Koeman confirmed in the second part of his presser that we want to bring in a striker and he isn't looking to bring in anyone in another position.

Seemed a bit more on the likely side of getting someone than ge was previously when he said it depended on injuries.

So any links for non strikers are likely to be either bull**** or interest for the summer.

Edit: here are the typed comments

http://mobile.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20160107-ronald-koeman-press-southampton-crystal-palace-fa-cup-2889145.aspx

Curious to see what type of striker...

Pelle-esque? Someone speedy? Something a little different to what we have?

Experienced player on loan? Young prospect for the future?

Curious to see what type of striker...

Pelle-esque? Someone speedy? Something a little different to what we have?

Experienced player on loan? Young prospect for the future?

Seeing as we play really with one main striker and already have Pelle, Long then Jay when fit it would be pretty pointless to sign a squad player as they won't get a look in or add real competition and would be a waste of money. Better to go with what we have rather than do that.

I think Seager may join Gallagher back out on loan as U21 football is probably just about done for developing him.

Whilst fans want signings because its fun, unless its a quality striker then its meaningless.

So hopefully someone good...or a completly different style to either static Pelle and the extremely erratic Long.

He'd be lethal in that team if they keep their form up but he'll probably have the same ego problems there.

Never understood why City signed him. Extremely stationary striker, albeit with great strength and a decent finish,. But if you are try to compete with Barca etc. you should surely be looking for more than that. Preferred Djecko myself.

Dzeko was absolutely brilliant, but I wouldn't sniff at Bony. And Saints would be extremely lucky to get either!

Shelvey available apparantly, with Palace sniffing round. £10M.

Now he would be an excellent signing for us.

Have to agree with this, he would galvanise our midfield for a start and he also has a decent shot in his locker plus he is English.

The last position we need to look at improving and a very inconsistent player for 10m. So glad you 2 aren't involved in our transfer dealings.