January Hcdajfu time?

simo

So from yesterdays press conference, we know it is only a striker we are after! I have said it before I know, but I honestly think Austin would be a fantastic fit for Saints! The one thing Prowsey can do is whip in a decent ball as can Tadic, Austin is a poacher pure and simple! Whether we spend the requisite 8 mill or so, different matter!

So from yesterdays press conference, we know it is only a striker we are after! I have said it before I know, but I honestly think Austin would be a fantastic fit for Saints! The one thing Prowsey can do is whip in a decent ball as can Tadic, Austin is a poacher pure and simple! Whether we spend the requisite 8 mill or so, different matter!

indare say its nit the 8 million but the wages that maybe the sticking point

Someone called Charlie apparently

1. Austin is currently injured and has barely played this season.

2. He is a free agent in the summer and has said numerous times he will leave then.

3. He apparently wants about 80k a week.

4. Prudent Saints aren't going to spend £8m on a player they could in theory sign for nothing about 6 months later.

5. I don't actually know if Austin is a whole lot of a better player than Pelle anyway. Hodgson discarded him pretty quickly after taking a look and no decent PL teams have bothered signing him.

2. He is a free agent in the summer and has said numerous times he will leave then.

4. Prudent Saints aren't going to spend £8m on a player they could in theory sign for nothing about 6 months later.

5. I don't actually know if Austin is a whole lot of a better player than Pelle anyway. Hodgson discarded him pretty quickly after taking a look and no decent PL teams have bothered signing him.

Maybe we get a discount as compensation for having Caulker?

This with bells on. If we are even looking at CA, and that's a big IF, it will be as one of a number of teams who will woo him in the summer.

The last position we need to look at improving and a very inconsistent player for 10m. So glad you 2 aren't involved in our transfer dealings.

Oh ok, so our midfield is really strong atm?......should have gone to specsavers!

I know ronald seems to be reasonably happy with our midfield, whatever one he puts out, but for me it is weaker than our attacking options.

Bournemouth moving for Afobe. Always tough to know if these types will do anything at PL level - it is such a step up.

That's always an interesting debate. Batting average hasn't been so bad lately though....

Lambert / Holt / Austin / Deeney / Wilson / Vardy all had varying degrees of success.

Why would Austin sign for anyone now, when he can pick up the signing on fee in the summer? Doesn't harm him unless he thinks he can score himself into the England set up - unlikely though seeing as though he wasn't given a chance last season!

Would have no issue on purchase price for Austin ....but isn't wages the issue? Isn't he on something like £80k a week and we are already maxed out on our wages to revenue FFP stat?

I think that is unlikely - unless we have to count Osvaldo's pay off in there all as wages? We have one of the lowest in the league...!

I think that is unlikely - unless we have to count Osvaldo's pay off in there all as wages? We have one of the lowest in the league...!

We counted it in for last year because as we were under the 56 miilion bar or whatever it was the year before we had scope to do that. I may be wrong but I think it also gives us a better starting line figure for future years. There was method in that madness at least. If you're under the threshold and are going to go over it might as well do it in a big way.

Austin is a natural goal scorer and a very hard worker. He is a better finisher than anyone we have at the club, and would improve our first team.

Even £8m would be a steal, and not unreasonable for us looking at our £5m purchases.

AS you say a decent finisher but injured regularly....does he have an "issue" or is he just unlucky?

Austin is a natural goal scorer and a very hard worker. He is a better finisher than anyone we have at the club, and would improve our first team.

Even £8m would be a steal, and not unreasonable for us looking at our £5m purchases.

A steal for someone who is free 6 months later and who is currently injured anyway and must be way short of PL required sharpness having hardly played the last few months?

Clearly its not your or my money, but can see why that one isnt an obvious deal to do.

Bournemouth moving for Afobe. Always tough to know if these types will do anything at PL level - it is such a step up.

Amy Lewis ‏@AmyLewisSport

We understand Bournemouth have enquired about Leeds midfielder Lewis Cook & are keen on Sunderland's Jermain Defoe but price maybe an issue

Amy Lewis ‏@AmyLewisSport

Also being told 5 clubs are showing an interest in Benik Afobe. 3 in PL. 2 in Championship.

Telegraph Football ‏@TeleFootball

Exclusive: #afcb on brink of signing Benik Afobe from Wolves for £10m - @JPercyTelegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/bournemouth/12090292/Bournemouth-on-brink-of-signing-Benik-Afobe-from-Wolves-for-10m.html

Big fee that. Be interesting to see how he does. If they stay up (I think they will) then potentially next season they could have a decent side.

But £10m still a monster fee for a player completely unproven in the PL and with one good Championship year.

Shows why so many clubs shop abroad.

yet, we'd (clubs) happily pay it for an unproven player from Holland or elsewhere.

But £10m still a monster fee for a player completely unproven in the PL and with one good Championship year.

Shows why so many clubs shop abroad.

Going rate these days after Fulham spunked £11m on McCormack

do they?

Lets say saints are in for Muriel. Who would you prefer, him or Afobe. Both would probably cost the same-ish amount?

Know very little of Muriel. Just know that in the main British players are very expensive.

Reports said Norwich turned down £8m from Bournemouth for Lewis Grabban a couple of days ago which is madness. Firstly to offer....secondly to turn down!

Know very little of Muriel. Just know that in the main British players are very expensive.

Reports said Norwich turned down £8m from Bournemouth for Lewis Grabban a couple of days ago which is madness. Firstly to offer....secondly to turn down!

Does Grabban even play for them anymore?

No, he tried to leave and join Bmth at the end of the summer window and has barely figured for Norwich since.

Bizarre.

Scored against Arsenal. Then again, so did Long (x2!) - Just imagine the uproar If we bought Grabban for £8 Million

RB is a bit of a grey area for us. Soares seems unconvincing after a good start there being at fault for a few goals; not tracking back and not marking runners from crosses. Martina has done okay the last couple of games but isn't first team quality despite that ridiculous goal.

If we could get him relatively cheap I'd take Debuchy. Wenger has said he can go and he's more than capable of doing a good job despite being 30 now. Even if only on an 18 month deal. Of course I'm not sure what sort of wage he is on, you don't exactly want a right back to be your top earner when the wages could be better used on a player in the spine of the team.

Having said that my first choice would be byram who should be a steal with his contract expiring this summer. Thoughts?

RB is a bit of a grey area for us. Soares seems unconvincing after a good start there being at fault for a few goals; not tracking back and not marking runners from crosses. Martina has done okay the last couple of games but isn't first team quality despite that ridiculous goal.

If we could get him relatively cheap I'd take Debuchy. Wenger has said he can go and he's more than capable of doing a good job despite being 30 now. Even if only on an 18 month deal. Of course I'm not sure what sort of wage he is on, you don't exactly want a right back to be your top earner when the wages could be better used on a player in the spine of the team.

Having said that my first choice would be byram who should be a steal with his contract expiring this summer. Thoughts?

Don't disagree but I bet we won't sign a right back. We've signed two this season and won't throw the towel in.

Just a striker, I reckon. Assuming no one leaves.

Where has this barely played myth come from? He has scored 10 goals in 16 games. He had a period of 4 games missed earlier in the season and missed the last 4 with injury..that's not hardly played?

His goals scoring record remains excellent.

I think he'd do a good job for us as we create chances whether we could/would be willing to meet his wages is debatable.

Juventus have apparently turned down bids from us and West Ham for Stefano Sturaro.

http://gazzettaworld.gazzetta.it/news/transfer-market/juventus-west-ham-southampton-sturaro/

Hmmm 15 million €, a week ago that was about 10.9 million £ now it's over 11.5 million, the £'s current slide might encourage clubs to look more within in this window