Palace 1 Saints 0 - The end of the world?

Ohio Saint

Let's get this correct! This result has little to do with the players (Bertrand accepted) and more to do with the coaching staff.

Nonsense . It was everything to do with the players . They wanted it more than us . Both wing backs were poor , big vic is going through the motions , Long missed a sitter & Mane played for himself . None of that had anything to do with system and all to do with lack of desire or talent . I thought that particular system suits the players we had today . Had we played another system , we'd still have got beat . If you don't tackle , track runners or finish chances it doesn't make a blind bit of difference which formation you play . Players need to take a good hard look at themselves .

Feels like deja vu to the Lowe era.

We've sold our better players and failed to replace with similar potential (established quality would have been too expensive).

Yep. IN a way we need to get relegated to shake everything up and get rid of the complacency and malaise that has been building up, and of which I warned over the summer.

But if we were, what would be the reason for your existence?

You've clearly forgotten the pure hilarity of when he pretends that he thinks we're going to finish 17th in the Championship. If we did go down, he'd just roll into that routine again and oh my aching sides it's so funny.

Nonsense . It was everything to do with the players . They wanted it more than us . Both wing backs were poor , big vic is going through the motions , Long missed a sitter & Mane played for himself . None of that had anything to do with system and all to do with lack of desire or talent . I thought that particular system suits the players we had today . Had we played another system , we'd still have got beat . If you don't tackle , track runners or finish chances it doesn't make a blind bit of difference which formation you play . Players need to take a good hard look at themselves .

^The wheat amongst the chaff

Let's get this correct! This result has little to do with the players (Bertrand accepted) and more to do with the coaching staff.

Today was fantasy football. Who changes the system so radically before a match? How can you expect players at the highest level to gel with so many changes??? Mayo left, Fonte middle, Van Dijk right. We played a 3-4-1-2 system. We showed great respect to Crystal Palace with this formation, hoping we'd hit them on the counter attack with the speed of Long and Mane. We would have been better playing a 4-2-3-1 system and playing our own game.

Unlike most I rate Gazza, but his footwork sometimes isn't quick enough. He was MOTM.

Last week JWP was considered as MOTM, but he didn't make the starting 11???? If you want JWP to aspire to what we expect you have to show faith and play him week in, week out.

Long one on one in the last minute must score!!

All in all very disappointed. Koeman must go back to basic's or he will lose the dressing room.

£40 wasted today and I expect more for my money.

Jwp man of match last week? Jesus how wrong are you there? He was dreadful. Dear o dear!

You've clearly forgotten the pure hilarity of when he pretends that he thinks we're going to finish 17th in the Championship. If we did go down, he'd just roll into that routine again and oh my aching sides it's so funny.

Sh... Don't tell him yet. 17th would be almost mid-table down in the underworld.

We are not a well run club.

Sorry, but the last few weeks are all down to lack of squad depth, an inability to hold on to players (because we have to operate within our means) and we sell. We sell our players. We are not ambitious. We got lucky as RK arrived.

There is more chance we will sell our best players in January than buy quality players ourselves. Our owner needs to sell up. Only way forward to support and keep Koeman is to find a wealthy owner like Leicester have.

We are about to enter a relegation battle. Simply no depth, no ambition, no new youth of note to bail us out, no money from our owners and Boardroom.

Eddy Howe after defeating Man U just said he's strengthening his squad in Jan. We aren't saying that.

Bubbles bursting?

We are not a well run club? Seriously???

A fee positives from today, Gazzanniga was good and you can see why the club have persisted with him.

Lively away end. Rare thing for us these days, despite the middle aged couples wanting a comfortable view of the soccer.

Even below par we still looked better than a good side such as Palace in the main. We're not a million miles off being a good side again.

Negatives?

Same again for me - forget formations and tactics, it's in the head for us; combination of lack of leadership, focus, and wanting to be here.

We just look lethargic, the amount of times we gave away the 2nd and 3rd ball was amazing.

Although instead of keeping it simple we are possibly over thinking everything instead of keeping it simple, we seem to always want to play the clever ball but get slowed down thinking about it.

Good to see Gazza having a great game, on the train to the ground all the phones were Pinging with the team line ups, lots of discussion about the squad most of it centred on Gazza with much moaning. I like the bloke I think there is a cracking goalie lurking in there, just needs a good run, I said it elsewhere, if Stek had been in goal today he wouldn't have saved some of shots Gazza did.

Finally if anyone feels that they want to moan about the prices at SMS don't waste your breath, when you see the view I had for £40 I could not see a triangle from the centre line to the left hand goal post at the end where the Palace Ultras live, at least at SMS you can see the whole pitch from anywhere in the bowl.

Frustrating game. Big positive is Gazza finally showing what others have clearly seen, top stuff. Like most games the margins were very tight, and it does come down to taking chances which we seem to struggle with. I'm more concerned whether the RK way of playing can continue to be progressive - we seem to be losing the race with similar teams who are now fitter and play the pressing game (we all saw this with Liverpool and Leicester). I can't see us improving the base talent of the squad (with our transfer policy and dry youth batch) so we have to improve what we have. It's annoying seeing Poch doing just that at Spurs (and Klopp and Raniere). I'm not giving up on RK but feel for whatever reason we have lost our way recently and need to start finding it again before too long. Not expecting many points in dec given fixtures but am hoping to see more hunger, better attitude, and much more composure.

We are not a well run club.

Sorry, but the last few weeks are all down to lack of squad depth, an inability to hold on to players (because we have to operate within our means) and we sell. We sell our players. We are not ambitious. We got lucky as RK arrived.

There is more chance we will sell our best players in January than buy quality players ourselves. Our owner needs to sell up. Only way forward to support and keep Koeman is to find a wealthy owner like Leicester have.

We are about to enter a relegation battle. Simply no depth, no ambition, no new youth of note to bail us out, no money from our owners and Boardroom.

Eddy Howe after defeating Man U just said he's strengthening his squad in Jan. We aren't saying that.

Bubbles bursting?

We "got lucky" RK arrived? Not well run? Our owner needs to sell? Did you miss the last 5 years? And we aren't saying we are going to strengthen? RK has said he will add an attacking player if he find a good enough one. No depth? We have the biggest first team squad for as long as I have been supporting. Jeez

Frustrating game. Big positive is Gazza finally showing what others have clearly seen, top stuff. Like most games the margins were very tight, and it does come down to taking chances which we seem to struggle with. I'm more concerned whether the RK way of playing can continue to be progressive - we seem to be losing the race with similar teams who are now fitter and play the pressing game (we all saw this with Liverpool and Leicester). I can't see us improving the base talent of the squad (with our transfer policy and dry youth batch) so we have to improve what we have. It's annoying seeing Poch doing just that at Spurs (and Klopp and Raniere). I'm not giving up on RK but feel for whatever reason we have lost our way recently and need to start finding it again before too long. Not expecting many points in dec given fixtures but am hoping to see more hunger, better attitude, and much more composure.

Well said, calm, considered and accurate.

Agree with this completely. I did warn at the start of the season about complacency and I predicted a relegation fight. This is exactly what we are going to get !

I've not been a member on this site for very long but I can see why people give you stick mate. You're like a broken record. It's like you actually want us to implode just so you can say "I told you so". I've never seen a positive post from you.

I've not been a member on this site for very long but I can see why people give you stick mate. You're like a broken record. It's like you actually want us to implode just so you can say "I told you so". I've never seen a positive post from you.

That'll be because there's never been one.

Feels like deja vu to the Lowe era.

We've sold our better players and failed to replace with similar potential (established quality would have been too expensive).

think this is the key word Alpine - isn't it ?. OK we've lost those 7-8 players in the last 2 years, but in reality nothing happens overnight.

Rickie Lambert made his name when we were in L1 /Championship .....and we'd had the best of him by the time he left.

Adam Lallana (together with SRL) made his reputation at a lower level, and getting to the England squad was his peak.

Nathaniel Clyne , though good in his final season.... was absolute dross at the start of his first season, and looked totally lost.....but in time he got much better.

Morgan Schneiderlin came in for all sorts of criticism at first, but it took 7 years to make him the player he is today.(He admitted that himself)

Lovren and Chambers were no great loss and it was good money in the bank.

Luke Shaw was a " one-off " and never likely to stay with his "potential ". Every player has his price, and it was more money than we'd ever seen before.

Toby Alderweireld - was never ours in the first place - and playing with his countrymen at Spurs was a great pull and the deciding factor.

Most of the above had played together around 2 seasons - some of them even longer that that. That success didn't happen overnight either.

of the newcomers;

Van Dijk already looks better than the money we paid for him, Clasie can't be fairly judged on a dozen games, but Cedric and Romeu look better every game they play.

When we use a word like potential it points to the future, and we shouldn't expect a re-run of last season - it 'aint gonna happen!

The likes of Martina and Juanmi may never make the transition to the Prem. but (thankfully) at least we didn't spent £12-15 million on each of them......

Last season start - with the help of a generous fixture list - gave us a phenomenal start, but key injuries took their toll in the end. I don't think we're top six -YET

but we've still come a very long way in a short time.

I have been a consistant critic of Paulo Gazzaniga, but yesterday I saw a side of his play that was never there before, and it was the most satisfying - even if we did lose.

Was that was a "drop in the ocean" ..or the real start to his career. If he plays like that every week, Fraser Forster will have a job getting the No.1 shirt back.

Edited by david in sweden

Worth remembering that Dalek is a parody account, and he's admitted before he doesn't actually think the things he puts. He honestly thinks that it is hilarious to repeat the same routine over and over again, look out for him pretending he thinks we're planning to be a "yo-yo" club, oh it's hilarious it really is. Worth ignoring him where you can, I try to do but occasionally I do feel the need to remind him and others about just how much of a t wat he is.

Edited by CB Fry

Worth remembering that Dalek is a parody account, and he's admitted before he doesn't actually think the things he puts. He honestly thinks that it is hilarious to repeat the same routine over and over again, look out for him pretending he thinks we're planning to be a "yo-yo" club, oh it's hilarious it really is. Worth ignoring him where you can, I try to do but occasionally I do feel the need to remind him and others about just how much of a t wat he is.

Ok thanks for the heads up. :lol:

think this is the key word Alpine - isn't it ?. OK we've lost those 7-8 players in the last 2 years, but in reality nothing happens overnight.

Rickie Lambert made his name when we were in L1 /Championship .....and we'd had the best of him by the time he left.

Adam Lallana (together with SRL) made his reputation at a lower level, and getting to the England squad was his peak.

Nathaniel Clyne , though good in his final season.... was absolute dross at the start of his first season, and looked totally lost.....but in time he got much better.

Morgan Schneiderlin came in for all sorts of criticism at first, but it took 7 years to make him the player he is today.(He admitted that himself)

Luke Shaw was a " one-off " and never likely to stay with his "potential ". Every player has his price, and it was more money than we'd ever seen before.

Toby Alderweireld - was never ours in the first place - and playing with his countrymen at Spurs was a great pull and the deciding factor.

Most of the above had played together around 2 seasons - some of them even longer that that. That success didn't happen overnight either.

of the newcomers;

Van Dijk already looks better than the money we paid for him, Clasie can't be fairly judged on a dozen games, but Cedric and Romeu look better every game they play.

When we use a word like potential it points to the future, and we shouldn't expect a re-run of last season - it 'aint gonna happen!

The likes of Martina and Juanmi may never make the transition to the Prem. but (thankfully) at least we didn't spent £12-15 million on each of them......

Last season start - with the help of a generous fixture list - gave us a phenomenal start, but key injuries took their toll in the end. I don't think we're top six -YET

I have been a consistant critic of Paulo Gazzaniga, but yesterday I saw a side of his play that was never there before, and it was the most satisfying - even if we did lose.

Was that was a "drop in the ocean" ..or the real start to his career. If he plays like that every week, Fraser Forster will have a job getting the No.1 shirt back.

Good post but I think we are getting carried away with Gazza, he is nowhere near Frasers level. He had a great game , although still a couple of incidents which suggest he is still very capable of dropping a real bollock. Let's not build him and expectations up too high as next time he doesn't have such a great game he will get slated on here.

Maybe one reminder too many.

Today was fantasy football. Who changes the system so radically before a match? How can you expect players at the highest level to gel with so many changes??? Mayo left, Fonte middle, Van Dijk right. We played a 3-4-1-2 system. We showed great respect to Crystal Palace with this formation, hoping we'd hit them on the counter attack with the speed of Long and Mane. We would have been better playing a 4-2-3-1 system and playing our own game.

Unlike most I rate Gazza, but his footwork sometimes isn't quick enough. He was MOTM.

Last week JWP was considered as MOTM, but he didn't make the starting 11???? If you want JWP to aspire to what we expect you have to show faith and play him week in, week out.

Long one on one in the last minute must score!!

All in all very disappointed. Koeman must go back to basic's or he will lose the dressing room.

£40 wasted today and I expect more for my money.

What game were you watching when JWP was MOTM? Very bizarre comment that...

And how is Long missing a one on one RK's fault?

With respect based , on this post only, you are the last person in the world RK should take formation or tactical advice from..

of the newcomers;

A breath of fresh air on her. I went yesterday, as disappointed as everyone else, but the knee jerk swing from a few weeks ago when we were 8 or 9 games unbeaten is amazing.

In my opinion, and the stats back this, the last two weeks is about shocking conversion of shooting opportunities. Something like 30 shots have yielded one goal. Sometimes it is as simple as that

A breath of fresh air on her. I went yesterday, as disappointed as everyone else, but the knee jerk swing from a few weeks ago when we were 8 or 9 games unbeaten is amazing.

In my opinion, and the stats back this, the last two weeks is about shocking conversion of shooting opportunities. Something like 30 shots have yielded one goal. Sometimes it is as simple as that

I made the same point but got shot down.

Were you sitting behind one of the pillars, by any chance?

Sh... Don't tell him yet. 17th would be almost mid-table down in the underworld.

I would be fairly happy with 17th. The one ambition for the club is to stay in the Premier League. TBH, like the Leicester manager said, number 1 objective is to stay in the EPL. I should think this is the first and foremost objective of the Saints board. Secondly to achieve this with the minimum of outlays equals success. Anything else is merely a bonus.

Agree with this completely. I did warn at the start of the season about complacency and I predicted a relegation fight. This is exactly what we are going to get !

It was not so long on here, after we beat Chelsea, that this forum - and the OS - was awash with smug over-confidence and complacency. We are all to blame.

Now we need a little realism. Players do not become bad players because of a loss of form. Blaming individuals is pointless.

It is time in training to realise strengths and tackle weaknesses. While we the supporters can continue to give full encouragement to all the team. Gaz for example made a succession of top class saves, but many only gave him grudging approval. That is stupid. He grew in confidence as the match progressed and his performance was the positive of the match.

We have always stood by Saints through thick and thin. The team will come good if we continue to do so..

It was not so long on here, after we beat Chelsea, that this forum - and the OS - was awash with smug over-confidence and complacency. We are all to blame.

Now we need a little realism. Players do not become bad players because of a loss of form. Blaming individuals is pointless.

It is time in training to realise strengths and tackle weaknesses. While we the supporters can continue to give full encouragement to all the team. Gaz for example made a succession of top class saves, but many only gave him grudging approval. That is stupid. He grew in confidence as the match progressed and his performance was the positive of the match.

We have always stood by Saints through thick and thin. The team will come good if we continue to do so..

Positive thinking does not make the team play better. The best clubs win because they have the best players. We sell our best players and replace them with players who may or may not turn out to be good. That is our very publicly stated business model. But guess what...when you buy a player in the market we operate in it is 50/50 whether they turn out to be any good or not because every transfer we make has a risk.

Right now, thus far, the summer transfer business has been POOR. And our team has suffered as a result. That is all there is to it.

Agree, we must support the team. However, the question is 'are we having a short term blip or this the beginning of a long term decline ?'

Back row with crap view granted, but what is your interpretation of the stats on shots for last two games? Or is this a good conversion level....?

Two very different games. Villa was down to poor finishing, aided and abetted by some generous defending; we didn't create enough against Palace. What we did create was scrappy and speculative. If any side is justified to bemoan poor finishing, its Palace, not us.