Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 205

Thread: Palace 1 Saints 0 - The end of the world?

  1. #101

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    1,843

    Default

    Let's get this correct! This result has little to do with the players (Bertrand accepted) and more to do with the coaching staff.

    Today was fantasy football. Who changes the system so radically before a match? How can you expect players at the highest level to gel with so many changes??? Mayo left, Fonte middle, Van Dijk right. We played a 3-4-1-2 system. We showed great respect to Crystal Palace with this formation, hoping we'd hit them on the counter attack with the speed of Long and Mane. We would have been better playing a 4-2-3-1 system and playing our own game.

    Unlike most I rate Gazza, but his footwork sometimes isn't quick enough. He was MOTM.

    Last week JWP was considered as MOTM, but he didn't make the starting 11???? If you want JWP to aspire to what we expect you have to show faith and play him week in, week out.

    Long one on one in the last minute must score!!

    All in all very disappointed. Koeman must go back to basic's or he will lose the dressing room.

    40 wasted today and I expect more for my money.

  2. #102

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,800

    Default

    Wanyama sits in that section of a Venn Diagram where woeful finishing, disintersted, and first touch of a camel intersect.

  3. #103

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sold! Vindicated.
    Posts
    8,927

    Default

    We are not a well run club.

    Sorry, but the last few weeks are all down to lack of squad depth, an inability to hold on to players (because we have to operate within our means) and we sell. We sell our players. We are not ambitious. We got lucky as RK arrived.

    There is more chance we will sell our best players in January than buy quality players ourselves. Our owner needs to sell up. Only way forward to support and keep Koeman is to find a wealthy owner like Leicester have.

    We are about to enter a relegation battle. Simply no depth, no ambition, no new youth of note to bail us out, no money from our owners and Boardroom.

    Eddy Howe after defeating Man U just said he's strengthening his squad in Jan. We aren't saying that.

    Bubbles bursting?

  4. #104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daft Kerplunk View Post
    Like players do, maybe the transfer committee believe their own hype a little too much.
    Ha, weirdly I was saying exactly the same thing to my Dad a minute ago.

  5. #105

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,361

    Default

    I find Koeman's casual approach to our slump most perturbing.

    Could be a long, hard, and anxious winter.

  6. #106

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    10,266
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintRobbie View Post
    We are not a well run club.

    Sorry, but the last few weeks are all down to lack of squad depth, an inability to hold on to players (because we have to operate within our means) and we sell. We sell our players. We are not ambitious. We got lucky as RK arrived.

    There is more chance we will sell our best players in January than buy quality players ourselves. Our owner needs to sell up. Only way forward to support and keep Koeman is to find a wealthy owner like Leicester have.

    We are about to enter a relegation battle. Simply no depth, no ambition, no new youth of note to bail us out, no money from our owners and Boardroom.

    Eddy Howe after defeating Man U just said he's strengthening his squad in Jan. We aren't saying that.

    Bubbles bursting?
    Agree with this completely. I did warn at the start of the season about complacency and I predicted a relegation fight. This is exactly what we are going to get !

  7. #107

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Goldfinger's Ranch
    Posts
    1,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek2003 View Post
    Agree with this completely. I did warn at the start of the season about complacency and I predicted a relegation fight. This is exactly what we are going to get !
    Usual Dalek over-reaction. There are some truly awful sides in the Premier League this season so we wont go down. But we have definitely gone backwards since last season and we look like a team without much confidence up front.

    I was at the game today, and it was one that we could well have got a point from - if anyone could be bothered to have a shot. Palace sat back in the second half, but we only really tested Hennessey once, and that was right at the end when Long should have scored. Too many touches, especially from Mane. If Arsenal make a silly offer for Wanyama, then we should take it [ he looked well off the pace. And Pelle and Long together simply doesn't work - they get in each others way.

    On the plus side, Gazzaniga actually looked a decent keeper today. He made a number of good stops, and his distribution was generally OK. Which does make you wonder why Kelvin played against Leicester. Thought Davis had a good game, and was surprised when he was subbed.

    And putting the TV gantry under the stand roof to block everyone's view is daft

  8. #108

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    28,335

    Default

    Feels like deja vu to the Lowe era.

    We've sold our better players and failed to replace with similar potential (established quality would have been too expensive).

  9. #109

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    1,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek2003 View Post
    Agree with this completely. I did warn at the start of the season about complacency and I predicted a relegation fight. This is exactly what we are going to get !
    Broken clock.

  10. #110

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fulchester
    Posts
    9,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek2003 View Post
    I am not on a wind up. I think we will be in a relegation fight this year.
    Coming from such a perennial optimist, that's a worrying comment.

  11. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Durman View Post
    Let's get this correct! This result has little to do with the players (Bertrand accepted) and more to do with the coaching staff.



    .
    Nonsense . It was everything to do with the players . They wanted it more than us . Both wing backs were poor , big vic is going through the motions , Long missed a sitter & Mane played for himself . None of that had anything to do with system and all to do with lack of desire or talent . I thought that particular system suits the players we had today . Had we played another system , we'd still have got beat . If you don't tackle , track runners or finish chances it doesn't make a blind bit of difference which formation you play . Players need to take a good hard look at themselves .

  12. #112

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    outtheresomewhere
    Posts
    1,274

    Default

    You can't keep selling your best players and replace them with average at best. It has caught up with us. We are an average, mid table side in danger of sliding down into the mire.

  13. #113

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    10,266
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alpine_saint View Post
    Feels like deja vu to the Lowe era.

    We've sold our better players and failed to replace with similar potential (established quality would have been too expensive).
    Yep. IN a way we need to get relegated to shake everything up and get rid of the complacency and malaise that has been building up, and of which I warned over the summer.

  14. #114

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sussex/Kharkiv
    Posts
    17,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek2003 View Post
    Yep. IN a way we need to get relegated to shake everything up and get rid of the complacency and malaise that has been building up, and of which I warned over the summer.
    Haha. This time relegation would be disasterous!

  15. #115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek2003 View Post
    Yep. IN a way we need to get relegated to shake everything up and get rid of the complacency and malaise that has been building up, and of which I warned over the summer.
    But if we were, what would be the reason for your existence?

  16. #116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    But if we were, what would be the reason for your existence?
    You've clearly forgotten the pure hilarity of when he pretends that he thinks we're going to finish 17th in the Championship. If we did go down, he'd just roll into that routine again and oh my aching sides it's so funny.

  17. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Nonsense . It was everything to do with the players . They wanted it more than us . Both wing backs were poor , big vic is going through the motions , Long missed a sitter & Mane played for himself . None of that had anything to do with system and all to do with lack of desire or talent . I thought that particular system suits the players we had today . Had we played another system , we'd still have got beat . If you don't tackle , track runners or finish chances it doesn't make a blind bit of difference which formation you play . Players need to take a good hard look at themselves .
    ^The wheat amongst the chaff

  18. Default

    P.s. the Palace goal was offside

  19. #119

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gotham city
    Posts
    5,538

    Default

    koeman is more likeable than poch but is poch the better manager?

  20. #120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Durman View Post
    Let's get this correct! This result has little to do with the players (Bertrand accepted) and more to do with the coaching staff.

    Today was fantasy football. Who changes the system so radically before a match? How can you expect players at the highest level to gel with so many changes??? Mayo left, Fonte middle, Van Dijk right. We played a 3-4-1-2 system. We showed great respect to Crystal Palace with this formation, hoping we'd hit them on the counter attack with the speed of Long and Mane. We would have been better playing a 4-2-3-1 system and playing our own game.

    Unlike most I rate Gazza, but his footwork sometimes isn't quick enough. He was MOTM.

    Last week JWP was considered as MOTM, but he didn't make the starting 11???? If you want JWP to aspire to what we expect you have to show faith and play him week in, week out.

    Long one on one in the last minute must score!!

    All in all very disappointed. Koeman must go back to basic's or he will lose the dressing room.

    40 wasted today and I expect more for my money.
    Jwp man of match last week? Jesus how wrong are you there? He was dreadful. Dear o dear!

  21. #121

    Default

    Both Zaha and Bolasie looked several cuts above our attackers today in their ability to take on opponents and open up space.

  22. #122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    You've clearly forgotten the pure hilarity of when he pretends that he thinks we're going to finish 17th in the Championship. If we did go down, he'd just roll into that routine again and oh my aching sides it's so funny.
    Sh... Don't tell him yet. 17th would be almost mid-table down in the underworld.

  23. #123

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    West Ham haven't won for six games they must be really ****.

  24. #124

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    14,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintRobbie View Post
    We are not a well run club.

    Sorry, but the last few weeks are all down to lack of squad depth, an inability to hold on to players (because we have to operate within our means) and we sell. We sell our players. We are not ambitious. We got lucky as RK arrived.

    There is more chance we will sell our best players in January than buy quality players ourselves. Our owner needs to sell up. Only way forward to support and keep Koeman is to find a wealthy owner like Leicester have.

    We are about to enter a relegation battle. Simply no depth, no ambition, no new youth of note to bail us out, no money from our owners and Boardroom.

    Eddy Howe after defeating Man U just said he's strengthening his squad in Jan. We aren't saying that.

    Bubbles bursting?
    We are not a well run club? Seriously???

  25. Default

    Danny Murphy (Match of the Day): "Performance wise, Koeman will be more than pleased today"

  26. #126

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    15,555
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    A fee positives from today, Gazzanniga was good and you can see why the club have persisted with him.

    Lively away end. Rare thing for us these days, despite the middle aged couples wanting a comfortable view of the soccer.

    Even below par we still looked better than a good side such as Palace in the main. We're not a million miles off being a good side again.

    Negatives?

    Same again for me - forget formations and tactics, it's in the head for us; combination of lack of leadership, focus, and wanting to be here.

  27. #127

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    1,782

    Default

    Just seen the highlights.

    Gazza played brilliantly. How did Long miss at the end!?

  28. #128

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rowner
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles31 View Post
    Just seen the highlights.

    Gazza played brilliantly. How did Long miss at the end!?
    Because he's not a goal scorer .

  29. #129

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    7,202
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    We just look lethargic, the amount of times we gave away the 2nd and 3rd ball was amazing.

    Although instead of keeping it simple we are possibly over thinking everything instead of keeping it simple, we seem to always want to play the clever ball but get slowed down thinking about it.

    Good to see Gazza having a great game, on the train to the ground all the phones were Pinging with the team line ups, lots of discussion about the squad most of it centred on Gazza with much moaning. I like the bloke I think there is a cracking goalie lurking in there, just needs a good run, I said it elsewhere, if Stek had been in goal today he wouldn't have saved some of shots Gazza did.

    Finally if anyone feels that they want to moan about the prices at SMS don't waste your breath, when you see the view I had for 40 I could not see a triangle from the centre line to the left hand goal post at the end where the Palace Ultras live, at least at SMS you can see the whole pitch from anywhere in the bowl.

  30. #130

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    15,555
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Just a couple of pet hates from me;

    Why do our fans love singing so much about players that aren't playing?

    And why do we love singing about Wanyama so much? Do those constantly singing his name realise he can't wait to f**k off?

  31. #131

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Frustrating game. Big positive is Gazza finally showing what others have clearly seen, top stuff. Like most games the margins were very tight, and it does come down to taking chances which we seem to struggle with. I'm more concerned whether the RK way of playing can continue to be progressive - we seem to be losing the race with similar teams who are now fitter and play the pressing game (we all saw this with Liverpool and Leicester). I can't see us improving the base talent of the squad (with our transfer policy and dry youth batch) so we have to improve what we have. It's annoying seeing Poch doing just that at Spurs (and Klopp and Raniere). I'm not giving up on RK but feel for whatever reason we have lost our way recently and need to start finding it again before too long. Not expecting many points in dec given fixtures but am hoping to see more hunger, better attitude, and much more composure.

  32. #132

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Marooned in Berkshire
    Posts
    4,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintRobbie View Post
    We are not a well run club.

    Sorry, but the last few weeks are all down to lack of squad depth, an inability to hold on to players (because we have to operate within our means) and we sell. We sell our players. We are not ambitious. We got lucky as RK arrived.

    There is more chance we will sell our best players in January than buy quality players ourselves. Our owner needs to sell up. Only way forward to support and keep Koeman is to find a wealthy owner like Leicester have.

    We are about to enter a relegation battle. Simply no depth, no ambition, no new youth of note to bail us out, no money from our owners and Boardroom.

    Eddy Howe after defeating Man U just said he's strengthening his squad in Jan. We aren't saying that.

    Bubbles bursting?
    We "got lucky" RK arrived? Not well run? Our owner needs to sell? Did you miss the last 5 years? And we aren't saying we are going to strengthen? RK has said he will add an attacking player if he find a good enough one. No depth? We have the biggest first team squad for as long as I have been supporting. Jeez

  33. #133

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Marooned in Berkshire
    Posts
    4,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hodgey View Post
    Frustrating game. Big positive is Gazza finally showing what others have clearly seen, top stuff. Like most games the margins were very tight, and it does come down to taking chances which we seem to struggle with. I'm more concerned whether the RK way of playing can continue to be progressive - we seem to be losing the race with similar teams who are now fitter and play the pressing game (we all saw this with Liverpool and Leicester). I can't see us improving the base talent of the squad (with our transfer policy and dry youth batch) so we have to improve what we have. It's annoying seeing Poch doing just that at Spurs (and Klopp and Raniere). I'm not giving up on RK but feel for whatever reason we have lost our way recently and need to start finding it again before too long. Not expecting many points in dec given fixtures but am hoping to see more hunger, better attitude, and much more composure.
    Well said, calm, considered and accurate.

  34. #134

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Marooned in Berkshire
    Posts
    4,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles31 View Post
    Just seen the highlights.

    Gazza played brilliantly. How did Long miss at the end!?
    Keeper saved it with his foot.

  35. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsbridge Saint View Post
    Wanyama sits in that section of a Venn Diagram where woeful finishing, disintersted, and first touch of a camel intersect.
    Utter rot old boy. Thought the big African chap had his best game of the season.

  36. #136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek2003 View Post
    Agree with this completely. I did warn at the start of the season about complacency and I predicted a relegation fight. This is exactly what we are going to get !
    Quote Originally Posted by UpweySaint View Post
    Broken clock.
    Rather unfair to broken clocks, which are right twice a day.

  37. #137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek2003 View Post
    Agree with this completely. I did warn at the start of the season about complacency and I predicted a relegation fight. This is exactly what we are going to get !
    I've not been a member on this site for very long but I can see why people give you stick mate. You're like a broken record. It's like you actually want us to implode just so you can say "I told you so". I've never seen a positive post from you.

  38. #138

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fulchester
    Posts
    9,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shance View Post
    I've not been a member on this site for very long but I can see why people give you stick mate. You're like a broken record. It's like you actually want us to implode just so you can say "I told you so". I've never seen a positive post from you.


    That'll be because there's never been one.

  39. #139

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    stockholm sweden
    Posts
    11,108
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alpine_saint View Post
    Feels like deja vu to the Lowe era.

    We've sold our better players and failed to replace with similar potential (established quality would have been too expensive).

    think this is the key word Alpine - isn't it ?. OK we've lost those 7-8 players in the last 2 years, but in reality nothing happens overnight.

    Rickie Lambert made his name when we were in L1 /Championship .....and we'd had the best of him by the time he left.
    Adam Lallana (together with SRL) made his reputation at a lower level, and getting to the England squad was his peak.
    Nathaniel Clyne , though good in his final season.... was absolute dross at the start of his first season, and looked totally lost.....but in time he got much better.
    Morgan Schneiderlin came in for all sorts of criticism at first, but it took 7 years to make him the player he is today.(He admitted that himself)
    Lovren and Chambers were no great loss and it was good money in the bank.
    Luke Shaw was a " one-off " and never likely to stay with his "potential ". Every player has his price, and it was more money than we'd ever seen before.
    Toby Alderweireld - was never ours in the first place - and playing with his countrymen at Spurs was a great pull and the deciding factor.

    Most of the above had played together around 2 seasons - some of them even longer that that. That success didn't happen overnight either.

    of the newcomers;
    Van Dijk already looks better than the money we paid for him, Clasie can't be fairly judged on a dozen games, but Cedric and Romeu look better every game they play.

    When we use a word like potential it points to the future, and we shouldn't expect a re-run of last season - it 'aint gonna happen!
    The likes of Martina and Juanmi may never make the transition to the Prem. but (thankfully) at least we didn't spent 12-15 million on each of them......

    Last season start - with the help of a generous fixture list - gave us a phenomenal start, but key injuries took their toll in the end. I don't think we're top six -YET
    but we've still come a very long way in a short time.

    I have been a consistant critic of Paulo Gazzaniga, but yesterday I saw a side of his play that was never there before, and it was the most satisfying - even if we did lose.
    Was that was a "drop in the ocean" ..or the real start to his career. If he plays like that every week, Fraser Forster will have a job getting the No.1 shirt back.
    Last edited by david in sweden; 13-12-2015 at 07:56 AM.

  40. #140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shance View Post
    I've not been a member on this site for very long but I can see why people give you stick mate. You're like a broken record. It's like you actually want us to implode just so you can say "I told you so". I've never seen a positive post from you.
    Worth remembering that Dalek is a parody account, and he's admitted before he doesn't actually think the things he puts. He honestly thinks that it is hilarious to repeat the same routine over and over again, look out for him pretending he thinks we're planning to be a "yo-yo" club, oh it's hilarious it really is. Worth ignoring him where you can, I try to do but occasionally I do feel the need to remind him and others about just how much of a t wat he is.
    Last edited by CB Fry; 13-12-2015 at 08:21 AM.

  41. #141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    Worth remembering that Dalek is a parody account, and he's admitted before he doesn't actually think the things he puts. He honestly thinks that it is hilarious to repeat the same routine over and over again, look out for him pretending he thinks we're planning to be a "yo-yo" club, oh it's hilarious it really is. Worth ignoring him where you can, I try to do but occasionally I do feel the need to remind him and others about just how much of a t wat he is.
    Ok thanks for the heads up.

  42. #142

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david in sweden View Post
    think this is the key word Alpine - isn't it ?. OK we've lost those 7-8 players in the last 2 years, but in reality nothing happens overnight.

    Rickie Lambert made his name when we were in L1 /Championship .....and we'd had the best of him by the time he left.
    Adam Lallana (together with SRL) made his reputation at a lower level, and getting to the England squad was his peak.
    Nathaniel Clyne , though good in his final season.... was absolute dross at the start of his first season, and looked totally lost.....but in time he got much better.
    Morgan Schneiderlin came in for all sorts of criticism at first, but it took 7 years to make him the player he is today.(He admitted that himself)
    Lovren and Chambers were no great loss and it was good money in the bank.
    Luke Shaw was a " one-off " and never likely to stay with his "potential ". Every player has his price, and it was more money than we'd ever seen before.
    Toby Alderweireld - was never ours in the first place - and playing with his countrymen at Spurs was a great pull and the deciding factor.

    Most of the above had played together around 2 seasons - some of them even longer that that. That success didn't happen overnight either.

    of the newcomers;
    Van Dijk already looks better than the money we paid for him, Clasie can't be fairly judged on a dozen games, but Cedric and Romeu look better every game they play.

    When we use a word like potential it points to the future, and we shouldn't expect a re-run of last season - it 'aint gonna happen!
    The likes of Martina and Juanmi may never make the transition to the Prem. but (thankfully) at least we didn't spent 12-15 million on each of them......

    Last season start - with the help of a generous fixture list - gave us a phenomenal start, but key injuries took their toll in the end. I don't think we're top six -YET
    but we've still come a very long way in a short time.

    I have been a consistant critic of Paulo Gazzaniga, but yesterday I saw a side of his play that was never there before, and it was the most satisfying - even if we did lose.
    Was that was a "drop in the ocean" ..or the real start to his career. If he plays like that every week, Fraser Forster will have a job getting the No.1 shirt back.
    Good post but I think we are getting carried away with Gazza, he is nowhere near Frasers level. He had a great game , although still a couple of incidents which suggest he is still very capable of dropping a real bollock. Let's not build him and expectations up too high as next time he doesn't have such a great game he will get slated on here.

  43. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    Worth remembering that Dalek is a parody account, and he's admitted before he doesn't actually think the things he puts. He honestly thinks that it is hilarious to repeat the same routine over and over again, look out for him pretending he thinks we're planning to be a "yo-yo" club, oh it's hilarious it really is. Worth ignoring him where you can, I try to do but occasionally I do feel the need to remind him and others about just how much of a t wat he is.
    Maybe one reminder too many.

  44. #144

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Durman View Post
    Let's get this correct! This result has little to do with the players (Bertrand accepted) and more to do with the coaching staff.

    Today was fantasy football. Who changes the system so radically before a match? How can you expect players at the highest level to gel with so many changes??? Mayo left, Fonte middle, Van Dijk right. We played a 3-4-1-2 system. We showed great respect to Crystal Palace with this formation, hoping we'd hit them on the counter attack with the speed of Long and Mane. We would have been better playing a 4-2-3-1 system and playing our own game.

    Unlike most I rate Gazza, but his footwork sometimes isn't quick enough. He was MOTM.

    Last week JWP was considered as MOTM, but he didn't make the starting 11???? If you want JWP to aspire to what we expect you have to show faith and play him week in, week out.

    Long one on one in the last minute must score!!

    All in all very disappointed. Koeman must go back to basic's or he will lose the dressing room.

    40 wasted today and I expect more for my money.
    What game were you watching when JWP was MOTM? Very bizarre comment that...
    And how is Long missing a one on one RK's fault?

    With respect based , on this post only, you are the last person in the world RK should take formation or tactical advice from..

  45. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saints foreva View Post
    And the amount of money we've made from player sales the last two summers.

    Pathetic to be honest.
    Have Palace spent much more money than us? What about Leicester?

  46. #146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david in sweden View Post
    think this is the key word Alpine - isn't it ?. OK we've lost those 7-8 players in the last 2 years, but in reality nothing happens overnight.

    Rickie Lambert made his name when we were in L1 /Championship .....and we'd had the best of him by the time he left.
    Adam Lallana (together with SRL) made his reputation at a lower level, and getting to the England squad was his peak.
    Nathaniel Clyne , though good in his final season.... was absolute dross at the start of his first season, and looked totally lost.....but in time he got much better.
    Morgan Schneiderlin came in for all sorts of criticism at first, but it took 7 years to make him the player he is today.(He admitted that himself)
    Lovren and Chambers were no great loss and it was good money in the bank.
    Luke Shaw was a " one-off " and never likely to stay with his "potential ". Every player has his price, and it was more money than we'd ever seen before.
    Toby Alderweireld - was never ours in the first place - and playing with his countrymen at Spurs was a great pull and the deciding factor.

    Most of the above had played together around 2 seasons - some of them even longer that that. That success didn't happen overnight either.

    of the newcomers;
    Van Dijk already looks better than the money we paid for him, Clasie can't be fairly judged on a dozen games, but Cedric and Romeu look better every game they play.

    When we use a word like potential it points to the future, and we shouldn't expect a re-run of last season - it 'aint gonna happen!
    The likes of Martina and Juanmi may never make the transition to the Prem. but (thankfully) at least we didn't spent 12-15 million on each of them......

    Last season start - with the help of a generous fixture list - gave us a phenomenal start, but key injuries took their toll in the end. I don't think we're top six -YET
    but we've still come a very long way in a short time.

    I have been a consistant critic of Paulo Gazzaniga, but yesterday I saw a side of his play that was never there before, and it was the most satisfying - even if we did lose.
    Was that was a "drop in the ocean" ..or the real start to his career. If he plays like that every week, Fraser Forster will have a job getting the No.1 shirt back.
    A breath of fresh air on her. I went yesterday, as disappointed as everyone else, but the knee jerk swing from a few weeks ago when we were 8 or 9 games unbeaten is amazing.

    In my opinion, and the stats back this, the last two weeks is about shocking conversion of shooting opportunities. Something like 30 shots have yielded one goal. Sometimes it is as simple as that

  47. #147

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    14,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    A breath of fresh air on her. I went yesterday, as disappointed as everyone else, but the knee jerk swing from a few weeks ago when we were 8 or 9 games unbeaten is amazing.

    In my opinion, and the stats back this, the last two weeks is about shocking conversion of shooting opportunities. Something like 30 shots have yielded one goal. Sometimes it is as simple as that
    I made the same point but got shot down.

  48. #148

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,927
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shance View Post
    Ok thanks for the heads up.
    One parody account outing another.

  49. #149

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    20,161
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    A breath of fresh air on her. I went yesterday, as disappointed as everyone else, but the knee jerk swing from a few weeks ago when we were 8 or 9 games unbeaten is amazing.

    In my opinion, and the stats back this, the last two weeks is about shocking conversion of shooting opportunities. Something like 30 shots have yielded one goal. Sometimes it is as simple as that
    Were you sitting behind one of the pillars, by any chance?

  50. #150

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    10,266
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    Sh... Don't tell him yet. 17th would be almost mid-table down in the underworld.
    I would be fairly happy with 17th. The one ambition for the club is to stay in the Premier League. TBH, like the Leicester manager said, number 1 objective is to stay in the EPL. I should think this is the first and foremost objective of the Saints board. Secondly to achieve this with the minimum of outlays equals success. Anything else is merely a bonus.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •