Saints as high as 200/1 for relegation

St Lej

Clearly the bookies don't think we are going to go down. Even Stoke are much lower at between 66/80/1 for the drop. Clearly the bookies have more faith in Saints than many on here. That said, I've just placed a cheeky tenner so at least i'll have 2 grand incoming if the unthinkable does happen.

Just had a flutter on us to go down at 200/1 with Stan James. Tried to bet £30 but they'd only accept a maximum stake of £12, which still returns £2400 should the unthinkable happen.

Either way, I'm quite certain that that price will plummet, giving me the chance to trade out for a neat little profit when we're down to 20/1 or 30/1 or so and limping over the line (which is, I think, how the season will likely pan out).

200/1 really is stark raving mad though.

An interesting question would be "how much money would you need to be paid for Saints to be guaranteed relegated?

I must admit that the £2400 I'd now stand to win would be a heavy price to essentially pay in order to see us stay up, especially when we've got the financial backing and stability to bob up like a cork if we were to go down.

I guess that I've essentially just bought insurance and paid for a bit of peace of mind. This hasn't been an enjoyable season in the slightest and the only emotion that a bet like this is likely to allow me to avoid is one of persistent worry and ever-growing concern. £12 is a small price to pay to dispel that.

An interesting question would be "how much money would you need to be paid for Saints to be guaranteed relegated?

I must admit that the £2400 I'd now stand to win would be a heavy price to essentially pay in order to see us stay up, especially when we've got the financial backing and stability to bob up like a cork if we were to go down.

I guess that I've essentially just bought insurance and paid for a bit of peace of mind. This hasn't been an enjoyable season in the slightest and the only emotion that a bet like this is likely to allow me to avoid is one of persistent worry and ever-growing concern. £12 is a small price to pay to dispel that.

The thing is Stan, if the unthinkable happened and you found yourself 2400 quid better off, by the time you'd bought yourself a new Smart TV, a trip to the Caribbean and a dozen bottles of Chateau Le Tour you would have the misery of watching Saints go round in the Championship with an unrecognisable side and facing an almighty battle to win automatic promotion.

The thing is Stan, if the unthinkable happened and you found yourself 2400 quid better off, by the time you'd bought yourself a new Smart TV, a trip to the Caribbean and a dozen bottles of Chateau Le Tour you would have the misery of watching Saints go round in the Championship with an unrecognisable side and facing an almighty battle to win automatic promotion.

Misery my arse, last time was brilliant

:mcinnes:

Feel free to give me your £12 and I'll give you £2500 if we go down.

This reminds me of the financially suicidal people who said they'd accept my even--money bet that we wouldn't finish as high as last season, and mysteriously vanished away when I, obviously, made every attempt to take them up on it.

still, the caribbean though eh?

Don't see that it makes much difference whether we're 200/1 or 1000/1 for relegation because we won't go down;

Why? I assume you can trade on the difference at places like Betfair. As such, the bet isn't whether we'll go down (we won't); rather it's whether our odds will shorten (which is quite possible).

Weren't we absolutely dreadful away from home or something, odds probably weren't all that long. Remember trekking up to Ipswich in my box Anglia and getting seriously thumped.

7-0. We were 8th (of 22) I think about this time, when Lawrie took over from Ted. No-one was even thinking of relegation, we had just gone 11 games unbeaten (including League Cup) then we lost to Norwich in the League Cup and hardly looked like winning again. Only 3 league wins after Christmas (including one on the last day against Everton). The rest is history. People think we cannot get relegated this season... (not saying we will).

7-0. We were 8th (of 22) I think about this time, when Lawrie took over from Ted. No-one was even thinking of relegation, we had just gone 11 games unbeaten (including League Cup) then we lost to Norwich in the League Cup and hardly looked like winning again. Only 3 league wins after Christmas (including one on the last day against Everton). The rest is history. People think we cannot get relegated this season... (not saying we will).

Fair enough but I worry about idiots losing their hard-earned to on line gambling emporiums over such a thing.

Guess they must have money to throw away.

Agree with you there, but then £12 is hardly a serious loss, if that is the maximum stake that is allowed.

There's a lot better things to do with £12 than give it to some bookie or other. People are really stupid about gambling, guess that's why bookies are so successful nowadays. People will bet on anything and everything without considering the possibility of getting any return. Don't about 2% of the population of the UK have serious gambling problems or something like that ?

Incredible odds. Some serious money to be made there. We'll be quids in and get the enjoy the fun of a promotion campaign.

Get this dreadful season out of the way then we can move on and concentrate on trying to reach the top 2 or playoffs next season.

We might even win the Championship this time, we haven't won a league since 1960..........-:)

Don't see that it makes much difference whether we're 200/1 or 1000/1 for relegation because we won't go down;

Brilliant. Now all you have to do is pop £10,000 into Betfair, bet against Saints to go down at odds of 1000/1, and effortlessly collect the £10 I'll be putting on the opposite bet.

Come on then! Its free money after all isn't it? And the odds don't make a difference because we won't go down.

Betting on your own team to get relegated? :scared:

I assume this is a moral argument insofar as you're saying that one ought not to bet against their own team's misfortune.

If that's the case though, how far do you take it? If someone offered you 50/1 on Tottenham to beat us this weekend should you turn that down too because it would be morally wrong?

The fact that I don't want Spurs to beat us doesn't have the slightest effect on the objective chance of whether they will or not, and the chance of them doing so is clearly far, far greater than the 2% represented by odds of 50/1.

Brilliant. Now all you have to do is pop £10,000 into Betfair, bet against Saints to go down at odds of 1000/1, and effortlessly collect the £10 I'll be putting on the opposite bet.

Come on then! Its free money after all isn't it? And the odds don't make a difference because we won't go down.

I have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make here.

As far as I can see you end up 10£ light and the booky £10 better off (less tax I suppose) if you bet on something that won't happen whatever the odds maybe. I am unfamiliar with the Betfair system, no doubt because it's an Anglo-Saxon thing that doesn't exist outside of the UK and it's derivatives.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make here.

As far as I can see you end up 10£ light and the booky £10 better off (less tax I suppose)

if you bet on something that won't happen whatever the odds maybe. I am unfamiliar with the Betfair system, no doubt because it's an Anglo-Saxon thing that doesn't exist outside of the UK and it's derivatives.

I'm saying that if you're certain that our getting relegated is utterly impossible, why not bet against it and effortlessly claim your completely and utterly free money from people like me?

As you say, Saints getting relegated won't happen. So you're not taking any sort of risk are you :) ?

We can certainly arrange this without Betfair. We'll find a trusted and accountable third-party here on SaintsWeb to act as treasurer of the 'pot' formed by your and my opposite bets; I'll put in £10 on us to get relegated, you put in £10,000 on us not to get relegated, and whoever wins the bet scoops the lot! You can rest easy safe in the knowledge that not only will you be taking my money, you'll be well and truly outwitting me as well!

if you bet on something that won't happen whatever the odds maybe. I am unfamiliar with the Betfair system, no doubt because it's an Anglo-Saxon thing that doesn't exist outside of the UK and it's derivatives.

I'm saying that if you're certain that our getting relegated is utterly impossible, why not bet against it and effortlessly claim your completely and utterly free money from people like me?

As you say, Saints getting relegated won't happen. So you're not taking any sort of risk are you :) ?

We can certainly arrange this without Betfair. We'll find a trusted and accountable third-party here on SaintsWeb to act as treasurer of the 'pot' formed by your and my opposite bets; I'll put in £10 on us to get relegated, you put in £10,000 on us not to get relegated, and whoever wins the bet scoops the lot! You can rest easy safe in the knowledge that not only will you be taking my money, you'll be well and truly outwitting me as well!

Ah right, no thanks though, I do not bet in any shape or form.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Ah right, no thanks though, I do not bet in any shape or form.[/i]

But you're not betting, because like you cleverly said, Saints won't go down. So it doesn't matter if the odds are 200/1 or 1000/1 remember?

Just plonk your £10,000 in and help yourself to your completely free £10 from idiots like me who jumped on at 200/1.

(Odds suspended with most bookies as the matchweek is still in progress but for what it's worth, we're now at 33/1 with BetVictor.)

It's funny how many of those who said we are definitely not going down have now changed their tune after just 1 more defeat. Almost as bad as those who reckoned we'd beat spurs , based on absolutely no logic at all. We are shocking right now

It's funny how many of those who said we are definitely not going down have now changed their tune after just 1 more defeat. Almost as bad as those who reckoned we'd beat spurs , based on absolutely no logic at all. We are shocking right now

I was told time and time again that we would not be fighting relegation. Same thing happened in 2004 - 5.

Let's hope we have enough to stay up or a good contingency plan to yoyo back up if we are relegated.

As I said before - we will not be relegated.

I admire your positivity, but anything is possible based upon our current form - can't defend, can't score. Luckily Villa and Sunderland are bad but I've seen Sunderland manage to escape before and Villa could start to put some results together. Either way, there is still a third space for someone to go down, we shouldn't take anything for granted. Hopefully all this relegation talk will be behind us after getting results against Arsenal and West Ham. Fingers crossed!

Well you've got to try and be positive. ;)

I admire your positivity, but anything is possible based upon our current form - can't defend, can't score. Luckily Villa and Sunderland are bad but I've seen Sunderland manage to escape before and Villa could start to put some results together. Either way, there is still a third space for someone to go down, we shouldn't take anything for granted. Hopefully all this relegation talk will be behind us after getting results against Arsenal and West Ham. Fingers crossed!

Well you've got to try and be positive. ;)

Good post.

Its because of how bad we were yesterday. Not talking about the first 20 minutes, when we did look decent. But after the first goal we became a total shambles compounded after the substitutions when the players that were left had absolutely no idea what they were meant to do, I have seldom seen a team looking so shambolic as that last 15-20 minutes. Spurs had done what Poch always did and decided 2 was enough. When you see us play like that (and we have done it several times this season, think Leicester 2nd half and Bournemouth 2nd half, not just the games we lost) then even the most optimistic supporter starts to see that we are relegation fodder, there are only 2 teams worse than us, Villa (who we couldn't beat) and Sunderland).

Its because of how bad we were yesterday. Not talking about the first 20 minutes, when we did look decent. But after the first goal we became a total shambles compounded after the substitutions when the players that were left had absolutely no idea what they were meant to do, I have seldom seen a team looking so shambolic as that last 15-20 minutes. Spurs had done what Poch always did and decided 2 was enough. When you see us play like that (and we have done it several times this season, think Leicester 2nd half and Bournemouth 2nd half, not just the games we lost) then even the most optimistic supporter starts to see that we are relegation fodder, there are only 2 teams worse than us, Villa (who we couldn't beat) and Sunderland).

But, were we any worse against Spurs than against Stoke, Villa, Palace, Pool ? We also played very poorly against the Toffees and also against WBA. Arguably poor against Bournemouth in the 2nd half.

I would say the signs have been apparent for some time.

Since about 2004 according to your "amusing" relegation posts season after season. Stopped clocks and all that.

A little unfair. I admit i am a nervous realist who only relaxes when we have 40 points on the board. However, I did feel towards the end of last season that we were beginning to falter.

A little unfair. I admit i am a nervous realist who only relaxes when we have 40 points on the board. However, I did feel towards the end of last season that we were beginning to falter.

You were doing comedy "we're going to be relegated" routines this time last year when we were in the top five. Anyone who has been on this forum for a few years knows exactly what you are.