Andros Townsend ? ....oh really?

david in sweden

I know it's in the Echo and other links , but...Andros Townsend ...really?.....I mean REALLY?

Am I in the minority, or do others think this " speed merchant " is a waste of space?. ...he even finds it hard to get a game for Pochettino.

Are we about to get " scammed " again by a Spurs deal?:mcinnes:

Just his agent trying to get him a game......

I know it's in the Echo and other links , but...Andros Townsend ...really?.....I mean REALLY?

Am I in the minority, or do others think this " speed merchant " is a waste of space?. ...he even finds it hard to get a game for Pochettino.

Are we about to get " scammed " again by a Spurs deal?:mcinnes:

No you're not in the minority. Woy reckons he's good, but otherwise most people realise there is a reason Poch doesn't want him. Really hope there is nothing in this, not just because he is rubbish, but also because we should not do business with Spuds.

I'd happily have him come and play right wing with Mane moving to no10, but would Koeman do that? Would be too positive, and mean either dropping Davis or moving him back to DM.

Surely playing 2 of Clasie, Wanyama, Romeu, JWP and Davis leaves you the room to play Mane as no 10? Think we'd be a far more dynamic team.

Surely Mané playing #10 would involve him passing to other people instead of just going it alone every time, can he actually do that ?

Anyway Townsend....just NO..

Edited by Window Cleaner

Do do you mean the Jason Puncheon that is playing very well for 6th place C Palace? That one?

Yes, he was a revelation for us though wasn't he? The point here is that Townsend reminds of how Puncheon played for us. Flashes of potential, a lot of cutting in onto his left foot and ultimately, not quite what we were hoping for.

Just his agent trying to get him a game......

Or.... [Conspiracy theory klaxon]... The ex-Echo chap now working for the club's media department feeds story to ex-colleague at the Echo so that the club can gauge what the fan reaction would be if we went for him.

No? I thought not too. Much too far fetched... :)

Do do you mean the Jason Puncheon that is playing very well for 6th place C Palace? That one?

We got rid of puncheon at exactly the wrong time. How long was he rotting in our reserves while he made up his mind whether to bother turning up? Then Nigel got him straightened out and playing well, then boom.... flogged. I still remember that equaliser against Chelsea.

Makes me laugh , how many of our experts on here would have taken Allbrighton or Drinkwater this time last season , how many would have ( or did if I remember rightly) complain about Conner wickham when were linked to him? Is there no place in our set up for someone going nowhere in particular, to improve ?Personally I'd have thought he ticks a couple of boxes . English, quick and still youngish . Just because Poch doesn't fancy him doesn't mean he can't do a job for us . The thing I like about Townsend is he carries the ball quickly , something we never really did under Poch and apart from Mane , something we don't really do now. I'm getting a bit depressed with this , slow,slow possession football , we are crying out for someone who carries the ball swiftly from our third to their third. I'm not necessarily saying its Townsend , but he's worth looking at . If we're not going to look at players who have dipped a bit and make hem better , then **** me who on earth are we going to sign?

If he is signed with another player like Austin yes definitely. He gives us an option we don't have now.

Can't see it we don't play natural wide wingers.

Townsend isn't a natural wide winger, he cuts in and shoots from random long ranges 95% of the time, one will fly in every five or so games, which I guess is more than what JWP offers in that regard...

Makes me laugh , how many of our experts on here would have taken Allbrighton or Drinkwater this time last season , how many would have ( or did if I remember rightly) complain about Conner wickham when were linked to him? Is there no place in our set up for someone going nowhere in particular, to improve ?Personally I'd have thought he ticks a couple of boxes . English, quick and still youngish . Just because Poch doesn't fancy him doesn't mean he can't do a job for us . The thing I like about Townsend is he carries the ball quickly , something we never really did under Poch and apart from Mane , something we don't really do now. I'm getting a bit depressed with this , slow,slow possession football , we are crying out for someone who carries the ball swiftly from our third to their third. I'm not necessarily saying its Townsend , but he's worth looking at . If we're not going to look at players who have dipped a bit and make hem better , then **** me who on earth are we going to sign?

totally agree

if Koeman is as good as we think he is, he would get a tune out of townsend.

m

agree with this id take him.

Good post , I would have said no to him before but think his style of play is something we need as an alternative. None of our midfielders can carry the ball currently. Would hopefully get him on loan 2nd half of the season.

Personally I don't see the big issue with this one. I agree he was massively over-hyped when he first burst onto the scene and was even hailed as England's future at one point, however at the age and possible price we could get him I think it would be a decent signing for us. As some have mentioned his ability to inject a bit of pace and direction into our attacking play must be worth a punt and he still has time to improve.

I would however like to see a clause inserted into his contract that he can only cut inside and shoot 3 times in any one game. It got very repetitive and obvious when I used to see him play in what at the moment I guess would be called his heyday.

Or.... [Conspiracy theory klaxon]... The ex-Echo chap now working for the club's media department feeds story to ex-colleague at the Echo so that the club can gauge what the fan reaction would be if we went for him.

No? I thought not too. Much too far fetched... :)

Do you think that the club cares about what fans think about a transfer, should they care what we think?

Wasn't that long ago that Townsend was England's golden boy

And with good reason because he was playing very well. Injury has taken a toll unfortunately, but at the right price, and if the manager fancies his chances of getting him back to that level, then of course he would be a extremely valuable addition to our (somewhat labouring) squad.

I sometimes think that there are those on this forum who in their heart of hearts don't really think that ANY player or manager is really good enough for SFC. Indeed, if we were told that Messi and Pep Guardiola were on their way here then I expect some would soon be moaning about it.

Excellent summation (frice over :))

Wheat > Chaff

Get him in on a half season loan. Nothing ventured....etc