3 things required to beat spurs

onthemarch

1. Strikers score when presented with good chances (hasn't happened for a while)

2. We stop making silly defensive mistakes (hasn't happened for a while)

3. The crowd get behind the team (hasn't happened for a while)

Lets take care of 3 - leave 1 & 2 to the players?

Should 1 and 2 happen, three will follow.

that's the problem with the modern customers that go to football. Sometimes they need to actually support the team rather than being preoccupied with eating, drinking and slagging the whipping boys off and actually get behind the team. Back when customers were fans this happened a lot more and 3 happened a lot more even if 1 and 2 didn't.

that's the problem with the modern customers that go to football. Sometimes they need to actually support the team rather than being preoccupied with eating, drinking and slagging the whipping boys off and actually get behind the team. Back when customers were fans this happened a lot more and 3 happened a lot more even if 1 and 2 didn't.

So very very true unfortunately.

Indeed. Regardless of the rights and wrongs that is where we are though.

I'm not entirely sure it's a modern problem or more of a Saints problem. Folk lore says the Dell was amazing, and I was at some amazing nights and afternoons there, but there were other times when (bearing in mind I was in my early twenties) I couldn't get anybody else to sing / people moaned at the team from the off. Anyway, hopefully as it's Spurs 3 will happen anyway!

That RK is talking about relegation and in his interview he says nothing of the sort!

He was talking quite a lot about relegation during the press conference second part. Admits that if we don't win in our next 3 games that we will probably be fighting relegation.

Journo: "Ronald, do you think if you don't win a game in the next few you could join the relegation battle?"

Ronald: "Yes. [long pause] I think so".

Edited by VectisSaint

You forgot texting and posting on internet forums when they should be watching the match and supporting the team.

Sometimes I wonder why people go to games at all really, I do wonder what fraction of the total crowd actually watch the game for 90 minutes.

What do you expect. It's frustrating but it's been going that way for years as the money in football gets more and more ridiculous. We try to pretend we're fine with it but it was much easier to cheer on a limited talent trier 20 years ago when they weren't millionaires.

Not saying it's right or helpful but fans patience with players, managers and boards is gone. Doesn't help the atmosphere but ultimately people are going to resent paying fortunes to watch **** football.

I'm paying 40-odd quid tomorrow. I am not ashamed to admit I am turning up fully EXPECTING to be entertained. I used to be someone who went home/away every week and used to sing supportively throughout every game since 1990. However, that was when I could afford football. Since we have been back in the prem the sad reality is i have just been priced out. For that reason, I only go to a handful of games a year and I have become much more cynical/harsh on players performance. If it's ****, I will boo. Frankly, I don't give a **** if that makes me a **** fan or not with the amount of cash I am spending.

I'm paying 40-odd quid tomorrow. I am not ashamed to admit I am turning up fully EXPECTING to be entertained. I used to be someone who went home/away every week and used to sing supportively throughout every game since 1990. However, that was when I could afford football. Since we have been back in the prem the sad reality is i have just been priced out. For that reason, I only go to a handful of games a year and I have become much more cynical/harsh on players performance. If it's ****, I will boo. Frankly, I don't give a **** if that makes me a **** fan or not with the amount of cash I am spending.

So you're not a saints fan then, you're a premier league consumer wanting to be entertained. If that means saints lose so be it but as long as you feel you got your money's worth. Rather than backing the team you'll abuse any player you don't deem to meet the standard you believe they should reach based on your consumer price/entertainment pivot. Sadly you won't be the only one like that there tomorrow. There will be lot of people more interested in the food and drink, the PA system, the whole match day experience than if saints put in a shift tomorrow and grind out a win. With the same I've paid and I'll boo if I want to type dissatisfied consumer attitude.

So you're not a saints fan then, you're a premier league consumer wanting to be entertained. If that means saints lose so be it but as long as you feel you got your money's worth. Rather than backing the team you'll abuse any player you don't deem to meet the standard you believe they should reach based on your consumer price/entertainment pivot. Sadly you won't be the only one like that there tomorrow. There will be lot of people more interested in the food and drink, the PA system, the whole match day experience than if saints put in a shift tomorrow and grind out a win. With the same I've paid and I'll boo if I want to type dissatisfied consumer attitude.

Well said.

Can't cope with that attitude, but then I'm a lifelong (nearly) Saints fan and the way they play and the result are everything to me.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

He was talking quite a lot about relegation during the press conference second part. Admits that if we don't win in our next 3 games that we will probably be fighting relegation.

Journo: "Ronald, do you think if you don't win a game in the next few you could join the relegation battle?"

Ronald: "Yes. [long pause] I think so".

I think RK and I knew it was on the cards this season.

1. Strikers score when presented with good chances (hasn't happened for a while)

1) a sickness bug to sweep through the spurs first team

2) a hugely biased saints supporting ref

3) spurs to score at least 3 own goals

I don't think 3. has much bearing on it, in truth. I know fans like to big up their importance, but it's really just 1. and 2.

I'm not entirely sure it's a modern problem or more of a Saints problem. Folk lore says the Dell was amazing, and I was at some amazing nights and afternoons there, but there were other times when (bearing in mind I was in my early twenties) I couldn't get anybody else to sing / people moaned at the team from the off. Anyway, hopefully as it's Spurs 3 will happen anyway!

I agree with you there, the Dell was brilliant at times but it did go through periods where the atmosphere was not great. At times though it could be very intimidating and have a bit of needle. When you look at some home ends particularly a rows the days it makes you realise how sterile English atmospheres have become. The Northam is more like this, with St Mary's full of consumers demanding to be entertained rather than fans supporting the team through thick and thin.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a91EJpWwLt4

I'm 40-something and priced out of the game more down to location and travelling expenses.

However, the result means everything to me. I've watched us play awful and win and it sets my mood for days after.

Similarly I've watched us lose and by Christ I'm a miserable sod for days after. My poor wife is expecting me to grow out of it soon but alas I think I'm stuck with this curse.

I never view the games as entertainment as it's always been and always will be about the result.

Yes, I figure I am still a child but that's the way it is. When I do go to the games I get right into it as I can't go that often. I relish the prospect of belting out OUR anthem. I think of my grandad who used to take me and how he used to belt it out. It's very emotive for me.

I'm a soppy sod tho and I tell you if I still lived down there I'd be far worse than I am from a distance.

Big three points today please Saints or you could potentially ruin my Christmas!!!!

Moaning at the team shows you care. ******** to the new fan who doesn't give a sh1t. P1ssed me off leaving Palace hearing lads singing and smiling - they are the ones who equate football with the same experience of going to the cinema

I'm 40-something and priced out of the game more down to location and travelling expenses.

However, the result means everything to me. I've watched us play awful and win and it sets my mood for days after.

Similarly I've watched us lose and by Christ I'm a miserable sod for days after. My poor wife is expecting me to grow out of it soon but alas I think I'm stuck with this curse.

I never view the games as entertainment as it's always been and always will be about the result.

Yes, I figure I am still a child but that's the way it is. When I do go to the games I get right into it as I can't go that often. I relish the prospect of belting out OUR anthem. I think of my grandad who used to take me and how he used to belt it out. It's very emotive for me.

I'm a soppy sod tho and I tell you if I still lived down there I'd be far worse than I am from a distance.

Big three points today please Saints or you could potentially ruin my Christmas!!!!

You are right of course. It is all about the results and 3 points. In the same way, every year we avoid relegation is happiness. If we go down, misery until the next season and the hope of promotion. The Cup games, especially in this day and age are merely a side show.

One of the biggest downers for me and I've supported Saints Since the middle fifties is listening to Solent on the way in, hearing the team announced and can see straight away that it won't work. JWP and Davis in midfield together, Yoshida at right back, three at the back with only two forwards, Kelvin Davis in goal for example, or worse still a combination. How many times have we failed to score or dropped points with those selections? Too many, wake up Ronald. High tempo, get the ball up front quickly and support the strikers.

I agree with you there, the Dell was brilliant at times but it did go through periods where the atmosphere was not great. At times though it could be very intimidating and have a bit of needle. When you look at some home ends particularly a rows the days it makes you realise how sterile English atmospheres have become. The Northam is more like this, with St Mary's full of consumers demanding to be entertained rather than fans supporting the team through thick and thin.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a91EJpWwLt4

Does the Northam really do that? It would be awesome.