Saints 0 Spurs 2 Merry Christmas!!!

Ohio Saint

Koeman must be under a pressure now, this is his team. No youth policy anymore, players bickering on the pitch, playing VW over Romeu all the time ... if players have lost faith in him lets just move on quick as in modern football when players have jacked it in it onlyends one way

Yes another predictable SMS result, another glum MOTD evening.

Our home form this season in particular has been truely abysmal - dare I mention the "R" word.

Too many good players gone, too many makeweights as replacements and this is the result.

I wonder about fitness and energy management. In the first 15 mins, against a team we know play high press, we were all over them. Couldn't maintain it.

Brutal game. One strike that's 12 in too close to the keeper, one defensive howler from our best defender, and everything turns.

Well, next month or two, we'll see what Koeman's made of.

Poor really. Not much more to say. Spurs were not all that great and Gazza didnt have to make many saves.

Can't bury our heads in the sand - we are poor in defence and attack at the moment and in if it doesn't change we could get relegated.

Too many poor performances but Cedric doesn't really know how to defend the back post and our central midfield is slow, ponderous and lacking any drive.

Poor summer business ultimately telling.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Juanmi £5m

Romeu £5

Cedric £4m

Clasie £8m

Stek Loan

Most of our team is bought from inferior leagues. The spine of our team has been sold off and the profit hasnt gone back into the team to buy quality replacements.

We are no longer as good as a lot of teams that finished below us last season. The journey has been amazing but now we must admit that the wheels have come off and we must knuckle down and effectively secure our prem league safety. We are now in a relegation fight. Lets not think we're too good to go down. What did it for me was Les and KL smiling and laughing as the team walked off vs liverpool at home this season.

Cortese did warn us!

I think we have a character issue in the team. We've actually been playing quite well until we hit some adversity, and then it goes pear-shaped in a hurry and we don't look like recovering.

The individual errors are killing us - weak midfield giveaways, unforgivable ball-watching and an inability to finish.

It doesn't help that we have a spineless and self-centered midfielder responsible for providing the spine in our midfield.

Juanmi £5m

Romeu £5

Cedric £4m

Clasie £8m

Stek Loan

Most of our team is bought from inferior leagues. The spine of our team has been sold off and the profit hasnt gone back into the team to buy quality replacements.

We are no longer as good as a lot of teams that finished below us last season. The journey has been amazing but now we must admit that the wheels have come off and we must knuckle down and effectively secure our prem league safety. We are now in a relegation fight. Lets not think we're too good to go down. What did it for me was Les and KL smiling and laughing as the team walked off vs liverpool at home this season.

I do agree here. Especially with the Prem money next season. We must remember that this is only our 4th season. Also- top 4 is a 5 year project right- so let's not judge it because we haven't got there yet- 10+ years of Prem would be nice. Football changes within a season easily.

Started well but yet, yet again failed to take chances. Game was over as soon as they scored and that is the worst thing about this team at the moment. Did absolutely nothing in the whole second half to even hint that there was a possible comeback. Can't think of too many other teams that just give up as clearly and frequently as this team does. It is looking worryingly similar to the team that got relegated before with Kamikaze defending from all areas. Even then we had Crouch that could score and give us a chance. Can't see where the next goal is coming from at all with these guys.

The club policy has been well and truly discredited over the past couple of months. Where is Les with his TV documentaries now? If this is the Southampton Way then it needs to be changed pretty quickly. We desperately need some quality in this team from somewhere. Some tactics might help a bit too. There are only two other teams clearly worse than us at the moment (Villa and Sunderland) and with likely defeats in the Christmas games they need to be planning some quality additions in early January. With the Prem so open this year we could really have made an impact but chose the cheap route and this is the result. The club have managed to dismantle a decent team and team spirit in record time.

No man of match today. They were all useless, especially in the second half. Will Clasie and Tadic ever play 90 minutes?

Juanmi £5m

Romeu £5

Cedric £4m

Clasie £8m

Stek Loan

It certainly is no where near the level of investment in the team needed. And to think that some clowns on here thought that we were setting ourselves up to win cups and sit comfy in the league :lol:

My thoughts:

Pablo 6/10 did not do much wrong

Cedric 6/10 gets forward well but it's all a bit powder puff

Ryan 6/10 he looks like he is getting frustrated and needs to develop a relationship with Tadic on the left

Fonte 6/10 steady but first goal was shocking alround

VVD 5/10 Second goal WTF?

Victor 4/10 Just let him go. Passing is disgusting.

Davis 5/10 running around but not really offering anything going forward

Classie 7/10 great spirit and high energy, not many will agree but he just needs time, I think he is star quality but playing next to someone who is disinterested won't be easy.

Tadic 7/10 personally I think he is the only one who is going to open the opposition up with a pass and needs to play regularly with Bertrand

Pelle 4/10 Stop moaning start playing

Mane 5/10 looks like he needs some guidance, we all know how good he is.

JWP 5/10 at least he has pride in the shirt unlike Victor

Juanmi 5/10 give him a decent chance or sell him ...what is the point.

Koeman 3/10 ultimately this is his team now and the Dutch connections worry me. We have seen at many world cups disharnomy in Dutch camps and I feel there is something bubbling under the scenes between RK versus Les Reed and the board. He does not look happy and seems to have run out of ideas. Much like the fans songs on the terraces but I think the support sounded good today.

Where's that Saint Charlie fella????

Durman Logic

I didn't go today, but the writing was and is on the wall

Spend wisely in January or limp on for the rest of the season.

Only 1 or 2 great signing and the wheels will be back on.

Get back to basic's Mr Koeman.

Have the board said he will have money to spend?

People will overreact on here about the performance I expect. I've slated Koeman recently but I thought we played really well in the first half. We pressed them high up the pitch, repeatedly won the ball in good areas and won most of the second balls. We created a couple of very good chances and didn't take them. Again. The 5 minutes before HT was some of the worst defending I've ever seen. Comical is the only word for it and once you go 2 goals down against good sides the reality of this league is that it's very difficult to get back in the game, particularly when you don't have the attacking options on the bench to change a lot.

Positives:

Gazza looked fine and his confidence must be growing

Clasie is capable of actually passing the ball forwards and incresingly can do it first time, it helps us speed up our play.

mane in the centre first half looked dangerous

Negatives:

The back 4 all made horrible individual errors

Pelle is too wasteful with the ball and in front of goal

And the main problem: Wanyama. Pathetic performance (again) from a player who simply does not want to be here. He needs to be dropped

Poor again - did anyone expect us to suddenly improve today - we have been poor for many weeks. Several of the players do not seem interested and/or good enough. What has happened to our youth policy - try some changes - try Reed, Targett, Seager, etc. Koeman has no alternative ideas it seems to me.

My thoughts:

Pablo 6/10 did not do much wrong

Cedric 6/10 gets forward well but it's all a bit powder puff

Ryan 6/10 he looks like he is getting frustrated and needs to develop a relationship with Tadic on the left

Fonte 6/10 steady but first goal was shocking alround

VVD 5/10 Second goal WTF?

Victor 4/10 Just let him go. Passing is disgusting.

Davis 5/10 running around but not really offering anything going forward

Classie 7/10 great spirit and high energy, not many will agree but he just needs time, I think he is star quality but playing next to someone who is disinterested won't be easy.

Tadic 7/10 personally I think he is the only one who is going to open the opposition up with a pass and needs to play regularly with Bertrand

Pelle 4/10 Stop moaning start playing

Mane 5/10 looks like he needs some guidance, we all know how good he is.

JWP 5/10 at least he has pride in the shirt unlike Victor

Juanmi 5/10 give him a decent chance or sell him ...what is the point.

Koeman 3/10 ultimately this is his team now and the Dutch connections worry me. We have seen at many world cups disharnomy in Dutch camps and I feel there is something bubbling under the scenes between RK versus Les Reed and the board. He does not look happy and seems to have run out of ideas. Much like the fans songs on the terraces but I think the support sounded good today.

Agree about Clasie. I honestly think Vic is our biggest problem at the moment - when he's on song he's awesome but he's just not at the races and he looks like he wants to be somewhere else. So let's get 20 million for him in January and invest that and another 30 million from the vast player profits we've received for the last few seasons (don't mind if we wait until the summer to get the right people). And let's give Reed and Seager and one or two others a chance over the course of the rest of the season. Not panic and throw them all in at once - but give youth a chance like we've always done.

We won't be relegated. But we are shít. Sadly all those lovely player sales are coming home to roost. We really don't have any quality with Mane out of form. VVD is our only other top class player and even he looked poor today. Koeman won't be going anywhere until the end of his contract imo, so hopefully he can pull the team out of this slump, but I don't see how without significant investment in January.

But - if funds are available then he should have the contacts to bring in quality players, I'm don't believe adequate funds will be made available though, sadly.

Poor at the back poor in the middle poor upfront , dont know what or who we need to change but something needs too ! How badly do we need to play before one of the youngsters gets a chance to try and liven things up ?

The answer to that is very badly, he's not interested in them in any way whatsoever. Do they even train with the first team as they used to do ? All he wants to do is improve the dutch economy by giving them shedloads of our cash for mediocre munters. If they had knighthoods in the Netherlands he get one for services to the export of iffy footballers.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Koeman had a great gameplan. This one is absolutely not on him.

He puts Davis as an attacking right midfielder to protect Cedric. But it wasen't enough. Cedric defended like a ten year old. He has good tackes sparingly but just no defending IQ.

Let's face it, he is not mentally prepared for this, just doesen't have a clue, he switches off and players make runs behind him all the time. He couldn't track Alli all game, come on!

He should play as a winger, he is no RB. He has the technique and the crossing ability, maybe not enough pace but he is not a defender. Get someone who can actually do it.

Great idea to play Mane as a shadow striker behind Pelle. Tadic once again doing all the playmaking, he sets up Mane but Sadio did everything right today but the finish.

Mane was the MOM, he proved a point. Great effort.

The high press was working too, and that kind of game suits Clasie who had also had a good game.

Cedric was horrible but what about Pelle? Was he unfit? That was one of the worse games since he came to the team. The plan of him being the

feeding through balls just isn't working. Get in behind, make runs, make the life difficult to the oposing FB. They will take looking him passing the ball 30 yards away from the goal all day.

VVD just too frustrated out there, not thinking properly. This is the third stright poor game he is had. Bertrand and Fonte, just average.

Only if Long did ANYTHING to deserve a start it would be something different. But what does Koeman have to do? Where is his fault on this one?

His plan was working, the high pressure, Mane making runs, Tadic feeding him. Just lacked the finish and in the other end they just defend soo poorly that it's embarrasing.

Koeman has made a lot of mistakes but this one he is off the hook, the players lose this match. Especially the second goal when they just switch off, they go "here we go again", no determination.

They feel sorry for themselves and start looking how Tottenham score without even breaking a sweat.

It's time to bring in a quality Striker and a proper RB. Time to splash the chash.

Just back.

We are in a relegation scrap. No mistake. To dismiss that is foolish.

Poor defensive, very poor in attack and once again, just ponderous. Little movement up top and poor individual performances

Worryingly, Koeman keeps sticking with Vic, keeps playing the same way in attack with pelle and we lack pace (which is less his doing.

But more of the same with the same results

We have to get at least 1 player in Jan who can at least start straight away. If that means dropping the undroppable pelle who is obviously on one of his non-scoring streaks.

Worryingly, we never looked like scoring at all in the 2nd half

We need a goal scorer - Pelle does well with knock downs etc but needs to do more than that. Long just isn't PL quality and none of the midfield look like thay have a goal in them. Mane is hit and miss and can be too selfish at times. Only Villa and Swansea have scored less goals than us this season. Yes we gave away stupid goals today but with little attacking threat we have no chance of winning games, or saving games from a losing position.