• Wanyama
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Davis
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Romeu
    • Tadic
    • Juanmi

Koeman called for a battling display and for the players to show fight and win their individual battles, and boy did they respond!

Not the prettiest game, but goals from Cuco Martina (and what a goal!), Shane Long (twice) and José Fonte (baby) bring an end to the winless run. :D

Still 12th, but now just five points away from the Europa League spots.

CXLnw53WsAQRHDZ.jpg:large

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

As brilliant as this victory is, it is also frustrating. If only we played like this every game, it could be us at the top of the league instead of Leicester.

And as I also said before the game, no matter what the result, that we still needed quality additions in January. The situation hasn't changed.

Happy days though! :D

this is what it is about.

Bit like what other middling sides are doing. More pace, more aggression, got the ball forward far more quickly and most importantly, to

wo pacey, busy fellas up top.

playing a static pelle was killing us

shlong was my MoM. just an absolute nightmare all night. the corner he won for our 3rd would never ever have happened had pelle been on the pitch

we made their defenders face their own goal time and time again and got the ball forward a lot more quickly

brilliant performace and Stek had little to do

shouts to Martina, Clasie, Vic

That striker must be worth at least 2 £LONGS.

GREAT result and performance. Fans sounded great too, well done. On a serious note, I hope Shane gets a chance, I've been saying for a bit to give me starts, defenders hate players like him. . I'm not saying drop pelle, just mix it up more, pelle in, long in, or both.

Big vic also great and mane and what a goal from Martina to get things rolling.

Thing is we have kind of played like that in other recent games, just not taken our chances and then let our heads drop when we let the first goal in.

We simply have to keep Long up front, he has improved massively since he moved here. Yes once in a while he'll f*ck up a one on one, but what he brings to the team is worth it.

Clasie looking superb as well. It's all coming together.

Back to the high intensity pressing game and we pull off a performance like this

Not one bad performance tonight,we played as a team and pressed as a unit, Wanyama and Clasie were superb and hats off to Long he was worth £12m tonight.

Koeman may of been forced into that selection but he got the tactics spot on,Clasie on Ozil and Long on Mertesacker absolute genius

Only saw the last 2 mins, but what a scoreline! Fantastic!

Vic was playing with a bit of swagger, wasn't he? Tadic looked slippery and $h£ong was causing a few problems for the Arsenal back 4 slugs.

Looked like we were working hard, too. Individually & as a team.

Nice one, Saints! More of that, please.

Don't think you'll find a quote from me in that vein. He's frustrating and a poor finisher but his commitment and tenacity more than make up for it IMO.

I said it at half time, after his dreadful miss towards the end of the half. I am happy to be proved an utter moron in this respect.

A true miracle. One of the best Saints performances in many a year.

Under pressure Ronald Koeman finally had the guts to roll out the "long" awaited PLAN B.

Congratulations. What a difference a day (in football) makes!!!!

Haven't seen a single second of the match so can't comment on anyone. just overjoyed at the result.

Would like to know how Cuco performed throughout. Did he get forward much? What about defending? Ball distribution?

What a result!!!!!

Dull Boxing Day gathering just got interesting!!!!

A true miracle. One of the best Saints performances in many a year.

Under pressure Ronald Koeman finally had the guts to roll out the "long" awaited PLAN B.

Congratulations. What a difference a day (in football) makes!!!!

:lol:

You are the biggest bedwetter and your post before the game was hilarious.

Back to the high intensity pressing game and we pull off a performance like this

Not one bad performance tonight,we played as a team and pressed as a unit, Wanyama and Clasie were superb and hats off to Long he was worth £12m tonight.

Koeman may of been forced into that selection but he got the tactics spot on,Clasie on Ozil and Long on Mertesacker absolute genius

Good summary. The other noticeable difference in our game was the effectiveness of Mane in the 10 role and Tadic late in a similar position - keeping the ball on the deck more and the pace and movement of Long and Mane really exposed Arsenal's CBs.