• Wanyama
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Davis
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Romeu
    • Tadic
    • Juanmi

Absolutely disgusted with tonights line-up.

What the hell is Wanyama doing there again and why is Gazza dropped.

Just how can Koeman blabber on about changing things and getting tough and aggressive and name the side he has. Martina is the aggressive option Can see us down to 10 men before half time

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?55678-Arsenal-Build-Up&p=2285971#post2285971

A true miracle. One of the best Saints performances in many a year.

Under pressure Ronald Koeman finally had the guts to roll out the "long" awaited PLAN B.

Congratulations. What a difference a day (in football) makes!!!!

:lol:

Edited by trousers

Good summary. The other noticeable difference in our game was the effectiveness of Mane in the 10 role and Tadic late in a similar position - keeping the ball on the deck more and the pace and movement of Long and Mane really exposed Arsenal's CBs.

Mane has always looked dangerous with a free role,Long is also very mobile so the two of them up front will always give defenders a headache.

A player like Remy up front with Mane would be lethal imo,Long did a job tonight as Mertasacker is slow,up against a quicker CB he is not as effective.

Today has shown me that Pelle might not be the answer up front,we have seen in recent years that we play a great pressing high intensity game and everyone has to play like that Rickie did that and that's why we had great success like that,Pelle is not always so keen to play that way and slows down the play.

What the **** was that? There I was saying I'd take a draw against possibly the best team in the country on paper and we ****, utterly **** them 4-0. Win against West Ham (as we've now proved we're capable of) and the season will start looking pretty decent again.

Kicking myself for taking ever present Fonte out my dream team too for this game. Very unexpected result all round. I've got a lot of Arsenal mates that will be hearing about this for a while.

Martina WTF?

Today the workers played and boy did they work. Better finishing and this could have been an incredible result.

This is the Southampton Way. Hard work. Intensity.

This wasn't fantasy football good old 4-4-2, sometimes 4-2-3-1, physical and fast.

Welcome Cuco Martinez.

Ice baths, recovery and let's go again against West Ham.

Well done Ronald and team tactically brilliant today.

He played well throughout, and covered plenty of turf. His defensive positioning and covering was good, and he pushed up high whenever he could.

Thanks Badger, appreciate the reply. Good to hear Cuco stepped up and delivered. Tonight I raise a drink to Cuco.

My beer tastes so much better! Cheers everyone!! : D

Think we'll get something tonight.

Although delighted at the win I am pretty ****ed off with the players. They put in a performance like that tonight and you realise they've not been at the races for the past six weeks.

We are better set up to counter-attack without Pelle, and his injury forces us to play better football.

Hopefully a springboard, similar work rate Monday please.

If you want to teach a striker how to play centre forward watching Shane Long today would not be a bad idea.

Playing on the shoulder of the centre backs staying in an offside position, only coming onside for the pass.

A master class of power, pace, work and gamesmanship.

squad rotation is the only thing that will help Pelle keep his place.

Saints 4 Saintsweb Forum Intelligentsia 0

Lol

Lots of posters must feel like right arseholes tonight (at least they should do) but hey, ho, we stuffed the Gooners 4-0 !

Only proves two things in this league a) anyone can beat anyone and b) we are nowhere near as bad as some make out !

COYS

1. Mane miles, miles better centrally. Keep him there where he can be an influence.

2. Long ideal for these kind of games. Thought he had let the chance go when he spooned over just before half time, but he knew he had the beating of their CBs in behind. You couldn't play like at home every week but it works against a possession side that come to win.

3. Wanyama was excellent and showed his best attributes

4. Clasie also looked good although a concern he cannot last the pace for a whole game

5. JWP very, very easy to run beyond. Closes down but doesn't get close enough to the opponent

Final thought: Good atmosphere. Obviously helps when the team are good but clearly drives the players on.

Martina - why the feck was he signed? Complete carp and waste of a squad place!

Schlong - lets sell him and reinvest the money. Completely useless!

Fonte - been good, well past his best!

Classie - why the heck did we sign him? Not fit to lace Morgan's boots!

Wanyama - completely useless, with his head in north London!

Etc, etc, etc.....

Even better, go look at the match build-up thread; especially AFTER the starting line-up was announced!

All in all, an excellent match and a performance which was always on the cards. Maybe a few player selections were enforced, but such occurrences are rife in football.

Classie was my mom until he was forced off; Shane gets it with his (non) hat-trick and strike against the post. And Martina currently has my goal of the season.

Well done to Koeman, his staff and all players involved!!

Well, I said it needed to change and goals needed to be scored. Perfect reaction from the team to Koeman's comments last week.

More of this please. Mane and Lomg up front looked a lethal combination, keeping the defence off balance. Sterling work in midfield to keep Ozil quiet all game.

Now the trick will be to keep it up.

Best thing was nobody played badly, everyone put in a shift. Long gave them a nightmare at the back! Clasie also looked quality in the first half, kept Ozil anonymous. Was Giroud even on the pitch?? Absolutely buzzing here! Watched it with my three little boys and a night to remember! Probably a flash in the pan, but at least we know the quality is still there.

Football, eh. That was all work rate and, after the crucial first goal, confidence to go and play. Arsenal were really, really feeble and we shouldn't be surprised the media will focus on that.

Wanyama was man of the match. And while he used to play like that every week, he wasn't the only one to pick up the energy tonight.

Loved the 442 with Davis and Ward-Prowse covering and getting out to the ball - something we could work with in future. Should we start with it at West Ham?

Edited by DuncanRG

1. Mane miles, miles better centrally. Keep him there where he can be an influence.

2. Long ideal for these kind of games. Thought he had let the chance go when he spooned over just before half time, but he knew he had the beating of their CBs in behind. You couldn't play like at home every week but it works against a possession side that come to win.

3. Wanyama was excellent and showed his best attributes

4. Clasie also looked good although a concern he cannot last the pace for a whole game

5. JWP very, very easy to run beyond. Closes down but doesn't get close enough to the opponent

Final thought: Good atmosphere. Obviously helps when the team are good but clearly drives the players on.

So humble SC.