Potential Mangers HCDTJFU

Convict Colony

Right first things first this is not a sacking thread or me wanting Koeman out (I like Ron and his style) but obviously recently there are rumblings of discontent and he is in no hurry to renew so thought it would be prudent to have a thread to chat about other managers out there who we could potentially target if we do need to replace Ron.

So in the spirit of this I am putting forward one Jorge Sampoli - He speaks english and is the current Chilean head coach - we obviously know how he's done in the WC and Copa :D.

I recommended him when he was still domestic club coach in Chile on the Adkins thread in 2012 (see below), he is a Biesla disciple so would be playing the same way as Poch had us.

I think he would come here and his style has been shown to be effective via Poch transplanting it here.

Updated Article for those who want to know more - http://fusion.net/story/100236/if-marcelo-bielsa-and-tony-pulis-had-a-love-child/

"06-11-2012, 05:07 PM #255

Other guys to consider would be Jorge Sampoli - http://backpagefootball.com/jorge-sa...ressive/44122/

He took Universidad de Chile to the South American equivalent of the Europa cup and some how only conceded 2 goals in the comp and had the leading scorer in the comp.

That victory is probably the biggest win in chilean club football from what I understand as my Chilean mate was going nuts about them.

The guy is a preparation machine."

We have a recruitment department to find the specific person, but the main attributes need to be:

1) plays high tempo attacking football, not the slow paced, possession based bore fest we've had on the whole under our last 2 managers

2) prepared to give our academy players opportunities

3) recognises his job is coaching the team and not buying the players, leave that for our scouting and recruitment teams. He needs to get our transfer policy and agree with it

4) recognises that for a club of our size, cup success and finishing 12th is preferable in the short term to going out of the cups with a whimper and finishing 8th

Can't see why people go for Howe - he fits Bournemouth but failed miserably at Burnley.

Some managers just fit at clubs like Redkrapp down the road and Howe does at Bournemouth and why would he leave them now?

Multi million owner bankrolling him.

Rodgers.....spawn of the devil

Monk showed some good qualities at Swansea but would like to see him at another club first.

I like Mark Warburton and the way he held Brentford together in spite of the chairman. Not sure he will leave Rangers though.

Someone who won't do a Poch on us.

Someone who won't be linked with bigger jobs after being with us a few months.

Someone who won't umm and ahh over whether to extend their contract.

Tim Sherwood then...

:lol: I should have known he'd be mentioned after my post.

But in some ways you're not far off - a British manager would perhaps be far less likely to be poached by the so called bigger-clubs, the experience with Moyes at Man U and Rogers with Liverpool has seen to that.

I like the Jorge Sampoli shout, but fear we'd just be auditioning him for his move after 18 months.

Here's a random suggestion - Rowett at Brum. He took over from Lee Clark, where they were languishing at the bottom of the league, and transformed them despite a lack of funds and chaos behind the scenes.

Can't see why people go for Howe - he fits Bournemouth but failed miserably at Burnley.

Some managers just fit at clubs like Redkrapp down the road and Howe does at Bournemouth and why would he leave them now?

Monk showed some good qualities at Swansea but would like to see him at another club first.

He didn't " fail miserably " at Burnley . Your post doesn't make sense . If he failed miserably at Burnley what was Monk at Swansea , a roaring sucsess? You put the caveat in that you want to se Monk at another club . Presumably if he got them to the premiership , let's say someone like Boscombe , you'll want him ? Anyway, as you rightly say he's pretty much dug in for the long haul and it'll take a bigger job than ours to get him out of there . Maybe a Spurs or Everton .

Personally , I'd want an Adkins type , as in somebody who is not going to be offered a top top job and will see this as a long term thing . Not an introduction to the English game or a short spell to tick a few boxes . People go on about a Vardy , Alli or a Lambert coming from the lower leagues , there has to be a manager in the same boat. Howe would be ideal imo , but there's Robinson at MK or even Dyche at Burnley . This is where Les needs to come into his own . Cortese's signing of Poch was a master stroke that came out of left field , maybe Les can pluck someone with real potential out of the championship

Personally , I'd want an Adkins type , as in somebody who is not going to be offered a top top job and will see this as a long term thing . Not an introduction to the English game or a short spell to tick a few boxes . People go on about a Vardy , Alli or a Lambert coming from the lower leagues , there has to be a manager in the same boat. Howe would be ideal imo , but there's Robinson at MK or even Dyche at Burnley . This is where Les needs to come into his own . Cortese's signing of Poch was a master stroke that came out of left field , maybe Les can pluck someone with real potential out of the championship

Agree with this :thumbup:

We have a recruitment department to find the specific person, but the main attributes need to be:

1) plays high tempo attacking football, not the slow paced, possession based bore fest we've had on the whole under our last 2 managers

2) prepared to give our academy players opportunities

3) recognises his job is coaching the team and not buying the players, leave that for our scouting and recruitment teams. He needs to get our transfer policy and agree with it

4) recognises that for a club of our size, cup success and finishing 12th is preferable in the short term to going out of the cups with a whimper and finishing 8th

I honestly can't believe that any Saints fan has disliked our football for the last three years that much.

He didn't " fail miserably " at Burnley . Your post doesn't make sense . If he failed miserably at Burnley what was Monk at Swansea , a roaring sucsess? You put the caveat in that you want to se Monk at another club . Presumably if he got them to the premiership , let's say someone like Boscombe , you'll want him ? Anyway, as you rightly say he's pretty much dug in for the long haul and it'll take a bigger job than ours to get him out of there . Maybe a Spurs or Everton .

Are you saying Howe did well at Burnley then?....not sure I agree with that. Monk did well at Swansea and yes its a contradiction and why I would like to see what he does in the future elsewhere first but longer term maybe here as he fits.

Do you think a championship manager would be able to manage the expectations/ambitions some of our stars like VVD, Pelle, Tadic or Bertand?

Hopefully Koeman may sign again and all this is irrelevant for a while yet.

If finishing where we have under the last 2 managers, give me a bore fest all day long :mcinnes:

Agree with this :thumbup:

I don't, what we want is a manager who is wanted by bigger clubs which in essence means he is doing the business for us, rewarding him for staying with us and supplying the funds and backup for him to do his job properly.

We cant have a team managed by a mediocre manager and ahem, mediocre players, none of which are wanted by other clubs, and expect a relatively good season.

I don't, what we want is a manager who is wanted by bigger clubs which in essence means he is doing the business for us, rewarding him for staying with us and supplying the funds and backup for him to do his job properly.

We cant have a team managed by a mediocre manager and ahem, mediocre players, none of which are wanted by other clubs, and expect a relatively good season.

Good points - but it's keeping him that's the problem. If we can do that, fine.

The Special One. It is the only choice and you know it makes sense. Who knows, he might like to lord it over the team that was able to out-play his Chelski team on more than one occasion? He might relish the idea of taking a mid-table team and getting them to out-perform his old adversaries in the Prem? Would wages really be an issue if the Board wanted to maintain the transition to the big-time?

OK, back to reality...Gary Monk it is then.

I want Nigel Adkins back
Nice man, but I know people wont have it but he failed as he should have won either L1 or the Championship with us. NC did the correct thing and got rid as he wasnt up to the PL. Time will tell how good he is at his new club

I'd take Moyes, personally - from what I've read about his systems for player recruitment at Everton he'd be ideal for Saints, played decent overlapping attacking football at Everton, and he sure as hell isn't going to be enticed away by a massive job any more.

Wasn't suited for Man U, was always a poisoned chalice, he barely had time to implement his long-term methods there and his previous successes were at a completely different level from the players he was now dealing with, his support in player recruitment completely failed him as well, and his biggest failing was probably not buying into the never-ending massive club mystique rhetoric their legions of plastic fans insist comes spouting from their manager.

So yeah, Moyes, he'd be glad of it and have something to prove.

I'm happy enough with Koeman, but there have been a few weird decisions this year in a bid to shake things up unnecessarily that suggest he's more bored than anything!

The Special One. It is the only choice and you know it makes sense. Who knows, he might like to lord it over the team that was able to out-play his Chelski team on more than one occasion? He might relish the idea of taking a mid-table team and getting them to out-perform his old adversaries in the Prem? Would wages really be an issue if the Board wanted to maintain the transition to the big-time?

OK, back to reality...Gary Monk it is then.

Gary Monk, nice bloke, former Saints, but really not the type of manager we need. His coaching abilities are very questionable, hence why Swansea were trying to get people in to back him up. If we are looking for a new manager, someone with great coaching credentials and the ability to long term improve players is essential for the way we operate. Monk is not that man and would be totally unsuited.

Moyes isn't a bad shout if we can't get Guardiola.

I'd take Moyes, personally - from what I've read about his systems for player recruitment at Everton he'd be ideal for Saints, played decent overlapping attacking football at Everton, and he sure as hell isn't going to be enticed away by a massive job any more.

Wasn't suited for Man U, was always a poisoned chalice, he barely had time to implement his long-term methods there and his previous successes were at a completely different level from the players he was now dealing with, his support in player recruitment completely failed him as well, and his biggest failing was probably not buying into the never-ending massive club mystique rhetoric their legions of plastic fans insist comes spouting from their manager.

So yeah, Moyes, he'd be glad of it and have something to prove.

I'm happy enough with Koeman, but there have been a few weird decisions this year in a bid to shake things up unnecessarily that suggest he's more bored than anything!

As utterly pointless as this thread is, I agree with what's said above.

I used to think Moyes as tactically naïve but he's a great club manager, his succession planning at Everton and operating on a budget (Michael Calvin's "Nowhere Man" goes into detail about Moyes quite well) is vastly underrated and Martinez is reaping the rewards of the groundwork he's done.

Historically he's managed a lot of the functions that Les Reed does and that's not how it works at Saints, plus gone are the days where He can come in and slowly evolve a Prem club.

In Koeman I trust.

I used to think Moyes as tactically naïve but he's a great club manager, his succession planning at Everton and operating on a budget (Michael Calvin's "Nowhere Man" goes into detail about Moyes quite well) is vastly underrated and Martinez is reaping the rewards of the groundwork he's done.

Historically he's managed a lot of the functions that Les Reed does and that's not how it works at Saints, plus gone are the days where He can come in and slowly evolve a Prem club.

Maybe Moyes with a younger man , with Moyes stepping into Les' shoes in a few years , handing the reins to the younger man .

I honestly can't believe that any Saints fan has disliked our football for the last three years that much.

First half of last season we played some really good high tempo football. The whole of 2015 we were dull, with the exception of 1 or 2 games, which IMO was mainly down to the ineptitude of the opposition.

Under MP I thought we were boring when we had the ball, probably because players were working so hard when we didn't have it and needed to lower the pace to recover. Very slow football and lots of the back 6 passing the ball pointlessly between themselves. IMO that is dull and I think I'm entitled to hold that view

If finishing where we have under the last 2 managers, give me a bore fest all day long :mcinnes:

Dull football can also be successful. Mourinho and Benitez have had very successful careers from playing incredibly boring stuff, but personally I think when fans are paying over 40 quid a ticket for some games they're entitled to see an attempt at some proper attacking football. Just my opinion

Moyes would be a the long term manager I think we need in the fact that he has had a go at the big job, been abroad and not been successful albeit probably wasnt given the time he deserved. Given the fact he stayed at Everton for a decade suggests that is his natural inclination - to stay somewhere for quite a while.

Although the club seems set up to be able to handle a new manager (and staff) every 2-3 years I think that can only work in a short time and when the club is making bigger steps up year on year as oppossed to where we are now where improvements are merely a place or two and a cup run. In this scenario stability is far better for a club of our size and budget.

Going for Howe may be good but if he moves from Bournemouth to us I would think he would be doing it because his ambition lies higher.

Mourinho / Benitez would never come here. Adkins is just not good enough. Its strange actually that as good as we have been at producing excellent players and a significant number of players who have forged good professional careers we do not seem to have anyone who is "ours" who would be good enough to manage us. Monk, NO!

I think this next few months if RK is not willing to sign an extension - I would love him too, but you know Barcelona and Holland will always be in the background - we should get Moyes in the summer and give him 5 years.

**** me drunk. Keegan is in his mid-60s and hasn't done anything managerial wise in about eight years, sitting on the couch for ESPN for most of that time.

The notion that he could walk right in at Staplewood and do any sort of job - let alone an amazing one - is a joke.

Give me a spell.