Sadio Mane: "I don't want to stay at Southampton

SaintLondon

Apparently Sadio Mane has told a French speaking African Newspaper that he doesn't want to stay at Southampton

http://http://www.squawka.com/news/sadio-mane-i-dont-want-to-stay-at-southampton/565590

Not sure how well that would go down here at my work if just came out with that...

Get rid if he doesn't want to stay.

I just don't get why he doesn't knuckle down until the summer.

History shows that's when we sell, and for big money.

Turns out the quotes are made up/distorted.

Get French Football

‏@GFN_France

Here is the front page of today's edition of Senegalese daily Stades again. The Mané quote is actually fabricated.

Get French Football ‏@GFN_France 28m28 minutes ago

It turns out that the newspaper Stades has twisted Mané's words from quotes picked up by the Daily Star...

The translation/quote is as clear as snow: "je ne veux pas rester à Southampton = i dont want to stay at southampton".

Not sure what the twitter account is talking about. One possibility is that the quote is completely made up, though not sure how anyone would know that unless the player officially rebuts it.

Edit: have read the smaller print in the article. It seems that the Senegalese paper has simply reported an earlier Daily Star article in which Mane supposedly told club management he doesnt want to extend his contract and that has consequently been spun by the Senegalese paper as him "not wanting to stay at Southampton". Either way, there's no direct quotes from the player himself.

Edited by shurlock

Good green journalism.

The Daily Star runs a story, based on quotes which might have been tickled up a bit. That story gets picked up by a French publication, who tickle the quotes up a little more and it in turn is picked up by the English media, who now have a story based on a French language publication that Mane no longer wants to stay at Saints.

The grains of truth in this saga will be that Mane is being somewhat poorly advised by his agent.

If he is trying to manufacture a move, he is going the wrong way about it. He may have been tapped up and his behaviour in missing meetings and turning up late for things might be designed to make him an untenable item.

But other clubs will be watching his antics and prospective buyers may not be impressed by them.

Although there is the prospect that his behaviour might improve beyond recognition for £120k a week at Manchester United.

They say the quote is fabricated. I.e he didn't say it.

Yep. It seems that the Senegalese paper has simply reported an earlier Daily Star article in which Mane supposedly told club management that "he doesnt want to extend his contract" and that has consequently been spun by the Senegalese paper as him "not wanting to stay at Southampton". Either way, there's no direct quotes from the player himself. In turn, that quote has been regurgitated by the Star as an original story coming from the French-speaking press.

Didnt he kick up a bit at Salzburg in order to get his move away? - saying during the summer he wouldn't play for them again (I honestly am not sure if I remember it or not). If he did it was inevitable he would do the same to us if he was a success at Saints.

Suggest he puts in a transfer request which applies to any other money grabbing c*nt at the club.

Every player at every club is a money grabbing c*nt, in fact pretty much everyone in the world seeks one of two things, money or some other form of reward.

The question needs to be asked why we seem to have so many more looking for ways out then the majority of other clubs, but then we dont seem to pay the going rate

Every player at every club is a money grabbing c*nt, in fact pretty much everyone in the world seeks one of two things, money or some other form of reward.

Spot on . The only " loyal" players at a club our size are ones nobody from a bigger club wants . Some clown on the train sat was banging on about Frannie's loyalty and questioning why our players aren't as loyal now . Only reason he was loyal was because nobody wanted him . Had SAF said " Frannie I want to build my treble wining defence around you , oh & quadruple your money " , he'd been gone quicker than a really quick thing . Matt Le Tiss , I hear you cry . Maybe, but what would he had done had Fergie wanted him instead of Cantona and for him to be the talisman for the class of ' 92 , would he have turned that down ?

The only loyalty comes from us lot , end of.

Problem with being a "Shop Window" club, its a shame but that is where we are at the moment, Players come here to attract the eye and money of the "Big" teams......and yes that sucks!

If we could not keep our best players when we were top eight,then not likely to keep them now we're in the bottom eight.

Spot on . The only " loyal" players at a club our size are ones nobody from a bigger club wants . Some clown on the train sat was banging on about Frannie's loyalty and questioning why our players aren't as loyal now . Only reason he was loyal was because nobody wanted him . Had SAF said " Frannie I want to build my treble wining defence around you , oh & quadruple your money " , he'd been gone quicker than a really quick thing . Matt Le Tiss , I hear you cry . Maybe, but what would he had done had Fergie wanted him instead of Cantona and for him to be the talisman for the class of ' 92 , would he have turned that down ?

The only loyalty comes from us lot , end of.

So sad.but so true.

Overrated. He's lucky to be here. We'll find out who wants him soon enough. Champions League player my arse. He's been largely sh*t this season.

He'd an exciting player, but when we played Palace, I thought both Bolasie and Zaha put in performances that were markedly more dominant than any individual game I've seen Mane play for us. Maybe they both had season highs when we played, but it seems unlikely...

Mane always looks miserable playing for us even when he scores, get top dollar for him and get rid even if the newspapers are spinning a yarn.

I'm getting sick and tired of saints plucking these players from obscurity and within months they think we're too small for them and that they owe nothing to us.

Mane always looks miserable playing for us even when he scores, get top dollar for him and get rid even if the newspapers are spinning a yarn.

I'm getting sick and tired of saints plucking these players from obscurity and within months they think we're too small for them and that they owe nothing to us.

how come it happens more to us than others?

why is it our revolving door seems to be far busier?

Perhaps we are good a finding talent and good at improving players, what's your theory?

Exactly. We have done brilliantly to find and develop a raft of quality players who have moved on to "bigger" teams. If they weren't as good the "bigger" teams wouldn't want them or pay so much money for them. Better this surely than the years when we had a bunch of journeymen who no one else wanted?

Exactly. We have done brilliantly to find and develop a raft of quality players who have moved on to "bigger" teams. If they weren't as good the "bigger" teams wouldn't want them or pay so much money for them. Better this surely than the years when we had a bunch of journeymen who no one else wanted?

Indeed mate, still waiting for Batman's "theory" though

The question needs to be asked why we seem to have so many more looking for ways out then the majority of other clubs, but then we dont seem to pay the going rate

First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the womeen.

Yeah this, we all knew Mane was going to leave, we all knew Jan would be a **** storm and we all knew we'd sell him in the Summer.

Nothing has changed.

Except the plan was for him to have a **** storming season so he was worth lots of money next summer currently he is doing a good impression of a very average PL player (was it October last time he scored in the PL?) same goes for big Vic we will be lucky to get much money for either of them if they carry on in this form for the rest of the season.

how come it happens more to us than others?

why is it our revolving door seems to be far busier?

Is it though? Two summers ago was pretty unique and we saw a lot of departures but last summer we lost two (Toby not being ours in the first place), one of who was in the last year of his contract, and next summer we will most likely lose two players again that's hardly a massive amount to lose from a squad. If you take out that one truly bizarre summer out of the equation we aren't much different to other clubs I'd say.

Is it though? Two summers ago was pretty unique and we saw a lot of departures but last summer we lost two (Toby not being ours in the first place), one of who was in the last year of his contract, and next summer we will most likely lose two players again that's hardly a massive amount to lose from a squad. If you take out that one truly bizarre summer out of the equation we aren't much different to other clubs I'd say.

Two out is nothing, but losing your two best players every season for three seasons in a row?

Two out is nothing, but losing your two best players every season for three seasons in a row?

On current form I wouldn't have them down as our two best players (mind you everyone is pretty bad at the moment).

We didn't really miss anyone from the first summer in fact we did better. The only player I feel we really miss is Morgan which is clearly showing this season. Having said that I've yet to see anyone offer a sensible solution on how we make players, who don't want to stay, sign a new contract. All our leavers (bar Jack CorK) have gone to top six teams it's not like they are ditching saints to go to Norwich or Stoke I don't see anyway to stop our best players leaving for big clubs. Sure we can hold them to their contracts but they will still leave and the club will get no money to re-invest to boot.

If we continue to sell players will come here with only one thing on their minds, moving out as quick as possible.

Eventually we will be relegated.

We cannot continue to let players go. They must sign for six years minimum. We cannot build a team around reserve players.

The policy has to stop.....

Also we have to shout from the rooftops our ambition.....our ambition incase you didn't know is Champions League....

We currently seem to have no stated target so why would any player want to be here except to move on.

The are actively demotivitating players.

If we continue to sell players will come here with only one thing on their minds, moving out as quick as possible.

We cannot continue to let players go. They must sign for six years minimum. We cannot build a team around reserve players.

Also we have to shout from the rooftops our ambition.....our ambition incase you didn't know is Champions League....

We currently seem to have no stated target so why would any player want to be here except to move on.

What if the players we want will not sign for 6 years? Do we not sign them? Isnt it better to have a quality player for 2 or 3 years than not at all? And is our ambition CL? I thought it was Europa.

What if the players we want will not sign for 6 years? Do we not sign them? Isnt it better to have a quality player for 2 or 3 years than not at all? And is our ambition CL? I thought it was Europa.

Les, Ralph and some of the players last and this season have all mentioned CL

How many player do you think will sign for us if we tie them into a 6 year contract and it enforce it.....

If we consistently have two or three players good enough to be sold to top six clubs for £15-£25m every single summer then I think we'll consistently finish at least mid table (or better) every single season.

I think that's a far better plan than only signing players who are prepared to commit to six sodding years with no prospect of ever progressing to a bigger club.