The Positivity Thread :)

CumbrianSaint

In four days time I get to take the afternoon off work, drive 160 miles, sit (block 36) with some great people (and a whole bunch of plastic JCLs), watch my true love look really good for 25 minutes before self-destructing, see us go 0-2 down (or in my wildest dreams 1-2) then watch '00's of people who will be back at home and nicely tucked up in bed by 10-45 stream for the exits; I will stay to the bitter end while being completely owned by JeFFing Watford fans, then will queue to get out of town, negotiate the vagaries of the department of transport's notorious night time roadworks program and arrive home @ about 00-45, then get up and be in work by 07-15 on Thursday morning.

Positives? Sarfampton til I die, Sarfampton till I die, I know I am. I'm sure I am, Sarfampton till I die.

In four days time I get to take the afternoon off work, drive 160 miles, sit (block 36) with some great people (and a whole bunch of plastic JCLs), watch my true love look really good for 25 minutes before self-destructing, see us go 0-2 down (or in my wildest dreams 1-2) then watch '00's of people who will be back at home and nicely tucked up in bed by 10-45 stream for the exits; I will stay to the bitter end while being completely owned by JeFFing Watford fans, then will queue to get out of town, negotiate the vagaries of the department of transport's notorious night time roadworks program and arrive home @ about 00-45, then get up and be in work by 07-15 on Thursday morning.

Positives? Sarfampton til I die, Sarfampton till I die, I know I am. I'm sure I am, Sarfampton till I die.

Ha ha brilliant! Similar for me but only 125 miles for me!

We're a well run club in the Premier League. All teams go through bad form and we're no different. Get behind the team, don't ****ing boo them and together we can get through the tough bits. I know i'd rather be here, than playing in league 1!!

Also, we do play some really nice stuff still but confidence is low so we're not getting the rub of the green atm. It'll turn around. Of that I have no doubt.

We're a well run club? Do well run clubs sell all their best players, again and again?

How long have you been a Saints fan for? Because other than Le Tiss this is something Southampton have always done.

Lets also not forget that all of the players that have left have pushed for a move and forced the clubs hand. It's all well and good trotting out the bull**** line of 'we keep selling our best players' but what exactly are we supposed to do? Offer them 100k a week? Never going to happen.

Just accept where we are in the football pyramid and come back down to Earth a bit. Yes it's frustrating but with FFP there's really F all we can do about it. We can't compete on wages with the big clubs so players will want to move on.

Rather than cry about our best players being sold and us going on a bad run grab some perspective. If we can turn around our form the top half is still extremely doable. Those who thought we were going to get into the top 4 and build a 55,000 seater stadium (mlg) filling it every other week need a reality check. Hopefully this is it.

Edited by Shance

How long have you been a Saints fan for? Because other than Le Tiss this is something Southampton have always done.

Lets also not forget that all of the players that have left have pushed for a move and forced the clubs hand. It's all well and good trotting out the bull**** line of 'we keep selling our best players' but what exactly are we supposed to do? Offer them 100k a week? Never going to happen.

Just accept where we are in the football pyramid and come back down to Earth a bit. Yes it's frustrating but with FFP there's really F all we can do about it. We can't compete on wages with the big clubs so players will want to move on.

Rather than cry about our best players being sold and us going on a bad run grab some perspective. If we can turn around our form the top half is still extremely doable. Those who thought we were going to get into the top 4 and build a 55,000 seater stadium filling it every other week need a reality check. Hopefully this is it.

Good post mate, some just cant grasp it and think we can just lock the players up between matches and ban agents.

It`s like joining a company and then being offered a job in a more successful company for more money, virtually everyone would take the offer..

Main positive from yesterday is that I don't have to worry about the scramble for a semi-final. or final ticket (again) this season.

Other than that, I suppose we've only got half a season of that vile green away shirt to put up with.

Thanks for that and to answer your question I've been a Saints fan since the war and remember the disappointment as a boy when Don Roper was sold to Arsenal (he came back) and when Alf Ramsey was sold to Spurs followed by Martin Chivers. But others (not only Le Tiss) have stayed with us: Bill Ellerington from that post war team, Nick Homes from the cup winning team, Terry Paine with his record 800 appearances and Mick Channon who had a year away but came back. I know it is a diiferent situation now but we actually have a selling policy as our business model. That makes it doubly difficult for managers and harder for fans to really identify with the team or the players to really love the club

Respect.

Back in those days though, football was very different. It was easier to mount a league challenge and keep players at unfashionable clubs for longer. Wages weren't astronomical compared to club income and rich owners could do what they wanted with no restraints.

In my era (started watching properly from around 1990) football was very much starting to turn into a business and we have been a selling club all my life really.

Didn't mean to come across as condescending. Just making what I think are valid points and I feel fans need to manage their expectations better and also not fly off the rails every time we go on a really bad run. Hell we've been relegation fodder most of my life. It's nice to be where we are atm :lol:

Not putting words into Dellmans mouth, but I have also supported a long time, 50 years plus, and I am fully aware that the modern game is totally different as far as business models are concerned etc and that having to sell your better players is a given....no argument what so ever!.

The fact is over the last two seasons all our best players have gone and more want to, have we replaced them with similar quality....results would show a definite no, have we brought through potential talent from the academy?....Koeman doesn't think so. Does our position this season along with going out of three cup competions give us room for optimism. ........ No!.

Does a fanbase who pay alot of hard earned cash to support their team home and away expect something better than this seasons display?.......bl**dy right! !