Saints vs. Watford build up thread

Dark Munster

Which is sensible and fine, BUT why didn't we just do that in the summer? With a low budget, why did we blow loan fee and wages on someone who has been very obviously awful for a couple of years?

Because as Koeman said Gardos got injured and we didnt have VVD.

Its been a relatively cheap mistake seeing as we received a termination fee.

Koeman in the build up

Was difficult to pick the players up after the cup exit. It was a big disappointment

Big week coming up

Game against watford is a big one. We need to win it

We believe we will have a good response

These two games are more important now

we are 7 points from our ambition, european football. We are 7 points from relegation

good to have this game quickly, we want to put the loss at the weekend right

This is a tough period with a lot of games

Watford are a very strong team, very organised. Two good players up front. They are fighting and having a fantastic season

They will be difficult to beat

we have to have good defence and organisation to stop their strikers.

Mistakes are part of football but sometimes we make mistakes in crucial areas in our build up play when our players are wide and forward

Bertrand is back, no problem for tomorrow

Pelle is back and will be in the squad

Stek has a tight hamstring. We have to wait. FF will come in if needed

FF is close to a return and has been training hard. It is no longer a medical question. He still needs game time to get more sharper.

He ideally would have played on monday but the issues with Stek means we could not risk him

To be fair to RK, after 8-10 defeats, none of us is very chipper either. Wish the players' pride was hurting as much.

Good news re: Bertrand and Pelle. Stek was awful fully fit on Saturday, only had 3 things to do and made a mess of all of them - Ward's shot in the middle of goal at a very saveable height, rooted to the goalline from a corner he should have contested/punched when somehow Dann missed from 5 yards and his terrible flappy 'save' for Zaha's goal. If FF isn't quite sharp enough, go with PG and FF on bench.

Hard to call this game from what I watched Saturday - based on the first half I'd say 0-4 to Watford because I saw a lot of Saints players not competing and frankly making me think RK had lost the dressing room but 3-1 Saints if we play with the intensity, urgency and pressing in the second half, where really we outshone a very good Palace outfit and but for Hennessey and the woodwork we'd have won 3-2 or 4-2. Not sure where the 3 goals will come from but let's say Pelle gets 2 and VVD from a set piece.

In that interview RK looks alomost resigned, no enthusiasm at all. I wonder if he's lost faith in the whole set up and is now hoping for the best while waiting for the inevitable bullet?

Agree, he seemed very flat.

Pelle to come back with a bang tomorrow night hopefully.

Edited by Chalkboy

Doesn't look as though Koeman is prepared to change much in the attacking positions. My money is on us starting well, miss a few sitters and then Watford score with their first real attempt. We will dominate possession after that without creating much and Watford get a breakaway second. Lose 2 nil and Koeman bemoans lack of clinical finishing, despite him continuously picking players who can't score goals.

Doesn't look as though Koeman is prepared to change much in the attacking positions. My money is on us starting well, miss a few sitters and then Watford score with their first real attempt. We will dominate possession after that without creating much and Watford get a breakaway second. Lose 2 nil and Koeman bemoans lack of clinical finishing, despite him continuously picking players who can't score goals.

So who could he have picked that do score goals?

It's getting pretty obvious the players don't like three at the back for a start and are uncomfortable playing it. Bertrand appears to dislike it intensely ref his words with Koeman during the Liverpool debacle. The Arsenal game demonstrated the best of this group of players as did the second half on Saturday. Only a fool keeps making the same decision and expecting a different result.

Right now as harsh as it sounds anything less than a win is unacceptable we need the points on the board. Can see a repeat dominate possession do naff all with the possession and concede from a mistake, hope im wrong

It's getting pretty obvious the players don't like three at the back for a start and are uncomfortable playing it. Bertrand appears to dislike it intensely ref his words with Koeman during the Liverpool debacle. The Arsenal game demonstrated the best of this group of players as did the second half on Saturday. Only a fool keeps making the same decision and expecting a different result.

The Arsenal game was a very specific set of circumstances. No way Watford or WBA will attack as much and leave so much space behind their defence.

Tomorrow we should go back to the team that has generally been our best with Mane, Tadic and Pelle up top, Davis, Clasie and Romeu behind.

That said, playing 3 CBs would actually make sense in this game based on Koeman's belief that versus 4-4-2 it helps dominate the strikers. Watford are the most 4-4-2 team in the league.

Edited by Saint Charlie

The Arsenal game was a very specific set of circumstances. No way Watford or WBA will attack as much and leave so much space behind their defence.

Tomorrow we should go back to the team that has generally been our best with Mane, Tadic and Pelle up top, Davis, Clasie and Romeu behind.

That said, playing 3 CBs would actually make sense in this game based on Koeman's belief that versus 4-4-2 it helps dominate the strikers. Watford are the most 4-4-2 team in the league.

It would seem likely but I hope not as it means Yoshida playing. This is a big game for Fonte against two inform strikers.

Well if we're resorting to a defensive 5-4-1 formation at home it speaks volumes about how far we've travelled under Koeman (i.e. backwards) and I can see us losing this. Sure we'll have loads of possession, but they will know that hitting us on the counter or high pressing the defence will make someone panic and gift them a goal. If Yoshida is playing in the central 3, prepare for a disaster. Seriously can see 1-2 or even 1-3. Hope I'm wrong as somehow we must win this game.

I'm not sure RK was lacking enthusiasm in his interview, to me it just looked like pent up frustration. Players have been shooting themselves in the foot, wiping out his game plans with either mistakes or an inability to perform for more than 70mins.

That's a fair point, mistakes you might see twice a season seem to be made nearly every game for some reason. Our concentration levels and fitness have to improve for sure, and that's something you can achieve. Lack of talent is another matter , but player for player are Bournemouth or West Ham more talented than ours...?

We're still above Chelsea though......

that repeats every week... ...

I'm not tactically very savvy... But why do we need 3 centre backs? Isn't the defensive midfielder meant to sit in front of the 2 cb's and allow them to push out a little wider and allow the fullbacks to push forward? As I said... I'm tactically naive so happy for someone to give me the proper reasons. Plus we're at home for ****'s sake. Defend from the front and get in their faces and attack!

I'm so over this season already. I've even cancelled my subscription to the sports channels. On the plus side, it does mean I get an uninterrupted nights sleep at the weekends :)

Just seen the trains to London after the match are all Rail Replacement which is a massive ballache, I might not bother now as I don't fancy a 3/4 hour journey back on a school night, no doubt we'll win 5-0 now...

It is a massive pain with bus replacement between Eastleigh and Basingstoke, they are running one direct train at 11pm going via Havant and Guildford but that gets back to Waterloo after the tubes have stopped running.

The London train after night games is always busy with plenty going to Winchester / Basingstoke / Woking / London so this will affect a number of fans.

Railwork going on until March 31st so will also be a problem for West Ham at home being a Monday night (unless West Ham draw with Liverpool in the cup in which case it'll be back on the Saturday! )

Our away game with Arsenal will also be affected so anyone planning to get the train to that should check their opinions.

Coming back from Bournemouth away also looks difficult for fans living north of Southampton

I wish we would play a midfield more like that. He's too loyal to wanyama though.

I really hate 352. Not just that it becomes a back 5 unless you have 2 really good attacking full backs, but all the best defences I can remember are forged around a CB partnership, not individuals which 3 tends to become.

As for midfield, I think some of our better performances came with JWP and Davis in there. Those two with Romeu for me. I know lots hate JWP, but I just think a team that scores so few needs the best set pieces possible, it could easily be the difference.

Me too. It leaves wide open areas just where the fullbacks should be which are very tempting to the opposition who always have an outlet ball which their pacy forwards can chase into. Why is it that every other team has forwards who are faster than our defenders?

Two game ban because it was his second red this season.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Yep. Be interesting to see what we do for a league game with him out and if, big if, we do play well and keep the ball in midwife and win, will Vic walk (no pun intended) straight back into the side.

Yep. Be interesting to see what we do for a league game with him out and if, big if, we do play well and keep the ball in midwife and win, will Vic walk (no pun intended) straight back into the side.

If we 'keep the ball in midwife' it will be a miracle. Not sure we should allow kids to watch though.

Bertrand was basically playing centre midfield second half against Liverpool, I should think he was probably asking for some guidance. That team was an unnecessarily desperate attempt to drag back a 2 goal deficit, a real glitch.

The squad needs to be flexible - teams playing 2 up top and the change in our personnel means the things we were successful at last season won't always work, but if anything he changed it too soon due to the delay in getting VVD in and is still too optimistic sometimes when 2 DMs would be a better choice (Wanyama effort level aside).

I'm not tactically very savvy... But why do we need 3 centre backs? Isn't the defensive midfielder meant to sit in front of the 2 cb's and allow them to push out a little wider and allow the fullbacks to push forward? As I said... I'm tactically naive so happy for someone to give me the proper reasons. Plus we're at home for ****'s sake. Defend from the front and get in their faces and attack!

I'm so over this season already. I've even cancelled my subscription to the sports channels. On the plus side, it does mean I get an uninterrupted nights sleep at the weekends :)

3 CBs for the opposition's 2 up front. The fact that teams with 4 at the back and 1 vaguely defensive midfielder coped with 2 strikers for most of the period from 1970s-early 2000s seems to go unnoticed with this kind of stuff.

Got a feeling about this one. Let's tear them a new one.

Pelle and Mane with brace each, 4-0 Saints.

Pelle , mane and Long have no history of scoring a lot of goals per season

It's wishful thinking to believe they are going to change at this stage in their careers . Pelle is at best a 12 goals a year man and Long proves nearly every match that he isn't a natural goal scorer

We cant climb the league if as we have seen over a considerable period of time we fail to score opportunity after opportunity

It's not rocket science we are trying to win games without a premier league quality striker

FFs buy someone anyone would be better than what we have .

Or we could bring in striker with no premier league experience and take the risk he can't make the change to the premier league

Koeman will be gone if we lose the next three matches

Pelle , mane and Long have no history of scoring a lot of goals per season

It's wishful thinking to believe they are going to change at this stage in their careers . Pelle is at best a 12 goals a year man and Long proves nearly every match that he isn't a natural goal scorer

We cant climb the league if as we have seen over a considerable period of time we fail to score opportunity after opportunity

It's not rocket science we are trying to win games without a premier league quality striker

FFs buy someone anyone would be better than what we have .

Or we could bring in striker with no premier league experience and take the risk he can't make the change to the premier league

Koeman will be gone if we lose the next three matches

Both Pelle and Mane do have a history of scoring a decent amount of goals a season. Mane scored 45 goals in 87 games during his time at Salzberg. Pelle got 50 in 57 games at Feyenoord and (I think) got 18 for us last year, none of which is shabby.

That doesn't change the fact that I think we need another striker, I would go for Austin if it was up to me.

Despite members getting £10 off this match it doesn't appear to have resulted in a big take up, loads of seats left for this , most of the Itchen North will be empty at this rate.

Watford have "sold out" the 2500 allocation, i don't know why we don't just give them block 43 as well rather than just leaving it empty. Good following from them midweek.

My prediction - 1v1 draw , frustrating game as we miss a number of good chances.

Ticket sales have, as usual, picked up the past couple of days, should be close to 30k. Watford will have a decent following, costs them just £1 for coach travel, but still have tickets on sale out of their 2,500. Block 43, that they didn't take, will probably remain empty.

I still haven't forgiven them for that cup night up there in '81.

Pelle got 12 in his first season. Not crazy to think he could get 15.

Long is very unlikely to ever do that,

Yes but with hardly any goals from midfield it's not enough

The wasted chances we have all seen this season would have transformed our position in the league

Ticket sales have, as usual, picked up the past couple of days, should be close to 30k. Watford will have a decent following, costs them just £1 for coach travel, but still have tickets on sale out of their 2,500. Block 43, that they didn't take, will probably remain empty.

I still haven't forgiven them for that cup night up there in '81.

Looks like even the club are having trouble giving away tickets to this game. The usual freebee spots for friends/ family/ hangers on near the back of block 3 are all available this week, usually full of weirdos screaming/ taking photos with iPads when Yoshida gets the ball, employees wearing club suits/ shirts/ ties covered up in ill fitting club puffer jackets or groupies doing a thoroughly good fancy dress impersonation of Wanyama or Mane (snap backs, gold chains and tracksuits).