Ronald Koeman in talks with Saints over possible new five-year contract

Saint-Armstrong

I can see why he wants to wait, five years is a huge commitment. Especially for someone who sees out their contracts!

Runs contrary to the message passed on to Guan - which altogether sounded more plausible, imo.

More plausible than a quote from Koeman himself?

If I were him' date=' I'd be trying to get it tied up as soon as I could. Hell of a payout with just under 5 years on a deal left, if sacked, because results didn't improve.[/quote']

This. Amazing how he's entertaining it now whilst we're on a stinking run (if true at all). If I were the board I'd hold fire till the summer.

I can see why he wants to wait, five years is a huge commitment. Especially for someone who sees out their contracts!

More plausible than a quote from Koeman himself?

The quotes detail nothing new, he's said it all before (or thereabouts). The five year stuff isn't a Koeman quote.

To clarify, I'd have thought that the club hierarchy aren't *that* pleased with Koeman this season, hence why five year talk sounds implausible. Who knows though.

Edited by Donatello

Just because it's not in quotes doesn't mean he isn't the source!

Similarly, just because there are generic quotes about his future in the article, doesn't mean he is the source of anything other than those specific quotes. At any rate, I can't really see why Koeman would divulge that detail.

Pretty sure those are his quotes from this weeks press conference or last weeks. Certainly nothing new and Mirror is usually a heap of ****.

Would IMO be good if he stays, obviously a good Manager.

I think we have seen that he isn't a top 4 quality Manager so be interesting to see what sort of other offers he would have anyway.

PL is the place to be afterall.

He will be a mug to sign for another five minutes unless he gets a guarantee that our best players will not be sold every summer

How would you suggest Saints keep players who are good enough to attract interest from clubs with huge incomes that can offer significant wage rises and Champions League football?

The time to worry isn't when Saints lose their best players to Champions League clubs. The time to worry is when we don't have players the top clubs want as it would mean our quality has dropped.

He will be a mug to sign for another five minutes unless he gets a guarantee that our best players will not be sold every summer

There's no guarantees and there shouldn't be. If he wants to manage a club where players can't get better personal terms, then join Man City or Barcelona. Every other club is a smaller fish and has to accept players will want to move up. Such is life.

How would you suggest Saints keep players who are good enough to attract interest from clubs with huge incomes that can offer significant wage rises and Champions League football?

The time to worry isn't when Saints lose their best players to Champions League clubs. The time to worry is when we don't have players the top clubs want as it would mean our quality has dropped.

True dat, bro. We are a showcase club, taking a player at a modest price then adding value to him and selling on to the top clubs at top price. I'm comfortable with that business model. Frustrating yeah, but when we sell on for an eye-popping sum that is success. Would worry not only if we weren't doing that but also if they wanted to leave to go to the likes of Stoke or West Ham. Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool - fair enough.

There is absolutely no doubt that Ron will expect players to leave when champions league clubs come calling and will factor that in when managing a club like ours . Only an idiot would think we could keep hold of these players . I thought one of the reasons we went Dutch was because their managers are used to losing their best players season in season out.

I'm not convinced by Ron , so I'm unsure of this deal . We weren't as good as we thought last year , but aren't as poor as some make out on here. Not being a professional or close to the club it's hard to comment , but the side and individuals don't look as well coached as before . Unlike some

I like the flexibility he shows tactically , although he does get it wrong sometimes . I have thought for a while that out style relied too much on Pelle and that shows when he's off colour or missing . That said , he seems like a calm stright sort of guy that will nring a bit of stability . He does need to move on or sign a new deal in the summer but I'd be happier if it was for 3 rather than 5 years

I think this would be a good thing if true. Yes, we are in a bad run of results but you don't become a bad manager overnight and performances have been frustrating (because we haven't converted dominance into goals and individual errors from experienced players) rather than bad. It's about time we took a long term approach, for me 12th this year, Koeman signed up and a squad refresh in the summer would be a decent outcome from where we are now.

God almighty! How the duce can RK be linked with Chelsea, how? He's had one good season all be it one where we exited both cups. This season!!!! My heavenly underpants if he can the Chelsea job that surely that entitles me to the throne of this country or Kings Landing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this would be a good thing if true. Yes, we are in a bad run of results but you don't become a bad manager overnight and performances have been frustrating (because we haven't converted dominance into goals and individual errors from experienced players) rather than bad. It's about time we took a long term approach, for me 12th this year, Koeman signed up and a squad refresh in the summer would be a decent outcome from where we are now.

Fully agree

I think Koemans comments in the last few weeks are more about frustration with the players, with results, with injuries. Mostly performances have been ok to good and we still out play in terms of possession and passing football the vast majority of opponents. You dont become a poor manager overnight nor do you become a good one overnight, same with players.

I think we are now in a vital moment in our recent history (since the re-incarnation business wise) and we now need a manager who will be around for a few years not just 2-3 because the potential development of the club and of the team is much smaller than is has been in the last few years and so we are more likely to achieve that with someone who understands that and accepts it rather than someone who wants to come in and make a big impact. Koeman does not seem to have an ego but he certainly has ambition and I would love him to sign for a long period but if he is not committed to sign BEFORE the opening of the summer window then we need to make the change then.

I also beleive that a small part of the players attitude that they will be here for 2-3 years before they get their big club move is albeit unintentionally I'm sure, ingrained by the clubs recent history of manager tenures. Its a bit catch 22. If Koeman is fed up with the attitude he needs to set the tone himself and sign on the dotted line.

I think Koemans comments in the last few weeks are more about frustration with the players, with results, with injuries. Mostly performances have been ok to good and we still out play in terms of possession and passing football the vast majority of opponents. You dont become a poor manager overnight nor do you become a good one overnight, same with players.

I think we are now in a vital moment in our recent history (since the re-incarnation business wise) and we now need a manager who will be around for a few years not just 2-3 because the potential development of the club and of the team is much smaller than is has been in the last few years and so we are more likely to achieve that with someone who understands that and accepts it rather than someone who wants to come in and make a big impact. Koeman does not seem to have an ego but he certainly has ambition and I would love him to sign for a long period but if he is not committed to sign BEFORE the opening of the summer window then we need to make the change then.

I also beleive that a small part of the players attitude that they will be here for 2-3 years before they get their big club move is albeit unintentionally I'm sure, ingrained by the clubs recent history of manager tenures. Its a bit catch 22. If Koeman is fed up with the attitude he needs to set the tone himself and sign on the dotted line.

I think it highly unlikely we will have a manager for any longer than three seasons, and quite frankly we don't need to.

Any club can exist quite happily with a reasonable turnover of managers - over the last few years it's done us just fine, as it has with other clubs too.

And I've said it before, but the idea that our club is a gateway to CL clubs is also a good thing and can help attract players into the club.

The strategy we have really is fine, but the execution this year has been very poor.

Edited by CB Fry

So we say we won't sell then some idiots offer 40m for Mane. Do you reject it?! .

You're right adrians.

We're not in the " Big League of Prem. earners." FFP rules don't allow us to buy big and pay 100K /week (which seems a bit low for salaries I've heard quoted).

£40 million - if we get that much ....can go along way in our transfer market. We just have to continue buying smart and cheap, but the market is going up all the time.

Remember the outcry on this site in 2102 ...when we paid £7 million for Jay Rod?.....The injury wasn't his fault, but I'd say he's been value for money already.

What is hampering us now (moneywise) is the monumental pay-off / losses we incurred through the Gaston / Osvaldo / Mayuka disaster deals.

I am constantly amazed that so many people say the same thing. We sell our best players every year.

We don't. We simply have no choice. Those players sensevthe chance to go to bigger clubs for more money. If you let them get into their last year their value plummets. Such as Clyne.

All those players agitated for a move and I dont believe we ever punted those players around looking for a buyer.

So to say that Ron will want assurances from the board is utterly pointless. He will never get that as they can't give it.

Do we want to sell mane? No. Will we be forced into it if he demands to go? Yes. He can be disruptive and disinterested. He's got form. So all we ever do is try to get the most from the players before we have to sell for the highest price.

We are not a big club so we will always lose players as will 95% of other teams.

Finally it's said that other teams refuse to sell. So did we. Schneiderlin for one. Wanyama for another. But the contract ticks down.....

Palace etc don't have players that the big clubs want. If they do like stones then they'll get them. It's just a case of when.

I am constantly amazed that so many people say the same thing. We sell our best players every year.

We don't. We simply have no choice. Those players sensevthe chance to go to bigger clubs for more money. If you let them get into their last year their value plummets. Such as Clyne.

All those players agitated for a move and I dont believe we ever punted those players around looking for a buyer.

So to say that Ron will want assurances from the board is utterly pointless. He will never get that as they can't give it.

Do we want to sell mane? No. Will we be forced into it if he demands to go? Yes. He can be disruptive and disinterested. He's got form. So all we ever do is try to get the most from the players before we have to sell for the highest price.

We are not a big club so we will always lose players as will 95% of other teams.

Finally it's said that other teams refuse to sell. So did we. Schneiderlin for one. Wanyama for another. But the contract ticks down.....

Palace etc don't have players that the big clubs want. If they do like stones then they'll get them. It's just a case of when.

I quite agree with you.

I don't "like" our current strategy, but at the end of the day I can understand why we are doing it as at least we are able to exert an element of control (unlike Villa who IMO hadn't prepared for losing Benteke and Delph this season).

I was reading Danny Wallace's autobiography the other day, and he talked about the time when he was pondering a move to Man United and the fact that he had come to realise that the chances of teams like Saints winning the top prizes were so slim when compared to the big teams in the league. It has always been this way, the difference now is that the money involved at the very top level is so much greater, and so clubs like us cannot afford to compete with the wages of the highest payers.

The problem this season IMO is that the new signings haven't come in and made the desired impact. I am sure the management team would have expected Jay Rod to have more game time too, but he has had a tough year with injuries again. So all these little things have built up and led to the current situation which is not great but not disastrous either.

Selling players isn't a strategy. The only way it could be is if we were to look to consistently sell players whilst they are at their peak values and replace them with academy produced players or players at a lesser value but who you will re-sell at a far higher price. We took advantage of what looks like a one time opportunity which came about from having a group of players who were mostly England Internationals on decent length contracts and who were playing in a "fashionable" flavour of the month team which attracted a lot of attention in the build up to a World Cup. The club tried to then frame it as a deliberate strategy but less than two years from that point, Wanyama is the last player of that team who will go for decent whack (although due to his contract situation, probably not for much more than we paid for him) and Mane is the only signing since who looks anywhere near able to fulfill the remit of the "strategy".

The board gave Rodriguez an extra five years when it was unclear if he would ever make it back to his best, so who knows what they are thinking of doing with RK...

and gave gazzaniga a new deal possibly one of the worst keepers ever though he has improved it has to be said

RonK suggesting to Dutch radio it would nice for Hiddink to put a good word in for him at Chelsea:

http://r538.nl/pxvyZ8

Retweeted by Koeman's son.

Pretty obvious that most Managers would feel the same so nothing groundbreaking.

Of course they would even being sacked by Chelsea ( which is a pretty common occurrence) leaves you walking away with millions. Hell I'd like to be Chelsea manager probably wouldn't last a season but I would be set for life ?

Of course they would even being sacked by Chelsea ( which is a pretty common occurrence) leaves you walking away with millions. Hell I'd like to be Chelsea manager probably wouldn't last a season but I would be set for life 

Even better you probably wouldn't even last a day, still same pay off for even less innit.

of course, this will be dismissed as lazy journalism etc

Not lazy journalism, but unprofessional of Koeman. Sure it's obvious and nothing ground breaking, but I wish that as an employees of SFC that he was a little bit more respectful while still under contract and kept his trap shut.

Not lazy journalism, but unprofessional of Koeman. Sure it's obvious and nothing ground breaking, but I wish that as an employees of SFC that he was a little bit more respectful while still under contract and kept his trap shut.

remember what he said about players talking about leaving etc

Should be sacked them, if he feels like that he should go now.

Which is probably why Krueger was playing down talks of a new deal with Ron.

Lot of stuff about "mature conversations" and "we are happy with him for now"

ETC

All well and good telling the players they can watch the rest of the seasons from the stands if they are open about wanting a move.......when the manager gets caught out (if caught out) saying this on radio