Ronald Koeman in talks with Saints over possible new five-year contract

Saint-Armstrong

how do we definitely know he was joking? is it true or what we want to believe?

The bloke in the second link clearly does not possess any sense of humour, so would not be capable of recognising it in others. He is also gullible enough not to recognise the strong possibility that something might have been lost in the translation of Koeman's comments from Dutch to English and also that not everything reported in the English football press is unquestionably true and beyond reproach.

I am content that a Dutch member of the forum says that Koeman was joking, although it would not suit some sections of the media to conclude that too, when they can run some sensationalist nonsense to destabilise us and fill some column inches instead.

@adamleitchsport: To put this one to rest I just asked @RonaldKoeman about the Chelsea story. He described it as "bull****"...twice! #saintsfc

@bigadamsport: #saintsfc @RonaldKoeman to me on Chelsea story: "it's bull****. Everyone knows i'm happy at Southampton" full interview @solentsport ASAP

@adamleitchsport: To put this one to rest I just asked @RonaldKoeman about the Chelsea story. He described it as "bull****"...twice! #saintsfc

@bigadamsport: #saintsfc @RonaldKoeman to me on Chelsea story: "it's bull****. Everyone knows i'm happy at Southampton" full interview @solentsport ASAP

Yes, but is that true or what we want to believe?

I think Big Ron as been very naive if he thought this wouldn't be picked up because the interview was in Dutch. Especially in the UK where the tabloids look to sensationalize anything to do with football. Whether it was said in a joking manner or not, the words used in response to the questions asked have the potential to destabilize the club in the media at what is a crucial point in the season. I expected Ron to be a bit more savvy with what he says in public - he must know by now how the UK media works, especially after the crucifixion of Mourinho this season. I can only conclude then that he is bringing pressure to bear on the club in his contract negotiations. Still bad form to have it out in the open like this.

Calling the whole thing "bullsh it" at the very first opportunity seems like a jolly awful way to negotiate your new contract.

Almost like it had nothing to do with it at all.

Les Reed does not want Koeman to have any involvement with the youth set up Koeman wants to and they have had a bust up over it.

I knew who you meant. It's called humour. People have bust ups and disagreements all the time. Easy to make things up given recent comments in the media.

I think there's a few new quotes from Koeman you may have forgotten to post up here.

You seemed awfully keen to do so earlier. Whenever you're ready.

I'm very happy with board recently and the manager can we call and soak up win tonight?

Les Reeds claim to fame is that he was a crap manager who got Charlton relegated.

That's a tad harsh, arguably his claim to fame is being instrumental in the growth of Southampton FC from a lower league team to a European one. The successful capture of international managers of recognition, steadying a rocking boat when the chairman up and left and then the successful negotiation of large funds for want away players whilst maintaining the clubs improving league position. I think whether you personally like the man or not, credit where it's due. He may not be a good manager but he's proved himself to be one of the best directors of football in the country (...possibly world?)

That's a tad harsh, arguably his claim to fame is being instrumental in the growth of Southampton FC from a lower league team to a European one. The successful capture of international managers of recognition, steadying a rocking boat when the chairman up and left and then the successful negotiation of large funds for want away players whilst maintaining the clubs improving league position. I think whether you personally like the man or not, credit where it's due. He may not be a good manager but he's proved himself to be one of the best directors of football in the country (...possibly world?)

Yep, but you'll still get utter dins on here saying "well he can go then" at the drop of a hat.

Do you not think playing a big part in our rise from League One to the top half of the Premier League is a more notable achievement of his?

In fairness I don't think that's what fans of other clubs will think of when they think of him. A lot of them probably don't even realise who our chairman is.

Well les can go then.

LOL really? Who do you think was responsible for our raise over the last few years? Who do you think brought Koeman, Poch and Nigel into the club? You'd rather tell Les Reed to **** off and keep Ronald who will leave us for a bigger club if the option comes along .........genius:lol:

I'm Dutch myself, and just listened to that interview. I wouldn't say it was all a joke really. In fact, I think he was quite serious about his ambitions, which aren't necessarily related to Chelsea, but more in general to what he wants to achieve as a manager in the future. The joking part was mostly about Guus.

But I doubt Ronald would leave before his contract ends, especially now that he has said so. He has alot of regrets from earlier in his career, from the way he left PSV for Valencia, he learned from that.

I'm Dutch myself, and just listened to that interview. I wouldn't say it was all a joke really. In fact, I think he was quite serious about his ambitions, which aren't necessarily related to Chelsea, but more in general to what he wants to achieve as a manager in the future. The joking part was mostly about Guus.

But I doubt Ronald would leave before his contract ends, especially now that he has said so. He has alot of regrets from earlier in his career, from the way he left PSV for Valencia, he learned from that.

How did he leave PSV for Valencia?

If he doesn't sign a new contract surely he will have to go this summer, right?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If he honours his contract so should we. It would give us plenty of search time and perhaps even allow us to do a proper handover from RK to his successor.

There aren't too many examples in history of Managers going into the last year of their deal and the team performing well are there? Even Fergie didn't announce his retirement until March I think.

And it didn't go well when Strachan said he was off.

Koeman going into the last year of his deal is going to cause lots of unrest and speculation which will be distracting. Even Man City gave Pellegrini - a dead man walking - a new deal to stop the speculation even though everyone knows he is off this summer.

Be interesting to see what the club does. I think they'll want Koeman to commit one way or another.

There aren't too many examples in history of Managers going into the last year of their deal and the team performing well are there? Even Fergie didn't announce his retirement until March I think.

Koeman going into the last year of his deal is going to cause lots of unrest and speculation which will be distracting. Even Man City gave Pellegrini - a dead man walking - a new deal to stop the speculation even though everyone knows he is off this summer.

Be interesting to see what the club does. I think they'll want Koeman to commit one way or another.

This

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

My prediction a while ago was that he will sign a "new contract" this summer which will be a simple rolling contract with one year notice period. And then he'll probably go at the end of next season anyway.

Three years with the same manager is borderline unheard of these days, so that will be a result in itself.

He's not going to be here forever and him and we will move on pretty quickly.

My prediction a while ago was that he will sign a "new contract" this summer which will be a simple rolling contract with one year notice period. And then he'll probably go at the end of next season anyway.

Three years with the same manager is borderline unheard of these days, so that will be a result in itself.

This all makes a lot of sense.

More than likely. Ferguson was on a one year rolling contract at Man Utd for years so its not unusual.

He still wants to take on the Dutch national team too, but that wouldn't be sooner than 2018.

How did he leave PSV for Valencia?

After winning the Dutch league with PSV in his first season there, in october in his 2nd season while being in 1st place with PSV he left them for Valencia. He has always said after that he regretted doing that, realised he shouldn't have moved away that easily from a good situation.