RIP Ziggy Stardust

Winnersaint

Absolutely gutted. I grew up listening to his music firstly through my parents and the whole 70s era and then I took up the batton when they lost interest in the 80s.

Being a self confessed music snob I often bore people with Bowie's unparalleled run of albums from Hunky Dory to Let's Dance. I discard Pin Ups for obvious reasons. Just think about that for a minute - 12 years and 11 albums that will never be matched in diversity or quality ever again.

The above is obviously my completely biased opinion and does assume you like the Berlin/Eno trilogy which I know some don't rate for some reason.

I listened to Blackstar a few times over the weekend and I think prefer it to The Next Day which I loved also.

Gutted.

It's sad news but I do get annoyed by some of the comments when this sort of thing happens. 6 music have gone for "rip bowie. There are no words." erm except for the ones you just used!

Maybe just once you could refrain from spoiling a thread like this....a lot of us grew up with Bowie, bought the albums, loved the music, saw the man live, are able to chart our lives linking events in our lives to some of his songs. Go and hide under stone for a few days.

Maybe just once you could refrain from spoiling a thread like this....a lot of us grew up with Bowie, bought the albums, loved the music, saw the man live, are able to chart our lives linking events in our lives to some of his songs. Go and hide under stone for a few days.

And absolutely none of that had anything to do with my post. Bowie had some great music and will be sorely missed. Incredibly influential bloke.

It's possible to be saddened by the news of the passing of a legend but also annoyed by some of the media coverage. It's two separate things you know...

You might want to give media outlets a miss for the next few days then as otherwise you are going to be routinely annoyed.

FWIW I do agree slightly to the outpouring of emotion that is ensuing and some of it is so bad it's repulsive. That's just the way media and social media in general is these days. I watched Lemmy's memorial service live on YouTube on Saturday.. That was a proper no-frills send off. Some old rockers telling stories and celebrating a life.. The way it should be.

For example I switched on radio 4 at 7:05am this morning and thought it odd they were discussing Bowie. Then checked my Twitter feed on my phone and my heart sank. I then spent the 45 minute commute to my office channel hoping to hear his music as I knew every station on my dial would be playing it. I could do without Sara Cox and Chris Moyles talking sh*t tho so switched as soon as they piped up.

Just ignore it is my advice.

You wait until the Queen shuffles off.. You might want to take a vacation somewhere remote when that sh*t goes down.

Still in shock here btw.

Edited by jasonb

You might want to give media outlets a miss for the next few days then as otherwise you are going to be routinely annoyed.

FWIW I do agree slightly to the outpouring of emotion that is ensuing and some of it is so bad it's repulsive. That's just the way media and social media in general is these days. I watched Lemmy's memorial service live on YouTube on Saturday.. That was a proper no-frills send off. Some old rockers telling stories and celebrating a life.. The way it should be.

For example I switched on radio 4 at 7:05am this morning and thought it odd they were discussing Bowie. Then checked my Twitter feed on my phone and my heart sank. I then spent the 45 minute commute to my office channel hoping to hear his music as I knew every station on my dial would be playing it. I could do without Sara Cox and Chris Moyles talking sh*t tho so switched as soon as they piped up.

Just ignore it is my advice.

You wait until the Queen shuffles off.. You might want to take a vacation somewhere remote when that sh*t goes down.

Still in shock here btw.

Good post and I totally agree. I know it's a part of modern life but it's a bit of a shame that someone's life can't be properly celebrated in a respectful manner. Still, the upside is I got some bowie songs on the radio so not all bad.

Still in shock here btw.

And me :(

It's hit me heavier than perhaps it might have done because I've been listening to so much of his music the last few months - almost obsessively. I've been teaching myself guitar and the four things I can play are all Bowie tunes, the way he put his chords together was so clever, beautiful and yet so simple (the tunes I've learnt anyway) Just before Christmas my 15 yr old daughter asked if she could have one of his cd's as a present - she didn't know which one, but she liked what she had heard me playing. Bought her Hunky Dory and the Ziggy album. Can't tell you how proud it made me feel to know her taste was so good.

At the weekend we had to visit grandparents - on the way she pulled out the Ziggy album for me to play in the car. Just as we arrived at our destination Suffragette City came on, it was one of those moments where the music was "all" - we sat in silence, didn't want to get out the car, time stood still. MAGIC.

Last night I resumed trying to play Queen B*tch on my acoustic - in my head all I can see is him performing it on The Old Grey Whistle Test in his red boxing boots and green boiler suit.

Next day he's dead.................:(

Total one-off, never to be repeated.

What an icon.

Anyone who lived through that period between 1969 and 1983 will remember the classic albums.

I decided a while back that the best thing about getting old is having heard things like Drive In Saturday and Jean Genie as NEW singles coming into the chart.

We were lucky enough to hear things like the latest Bowie releases just as part of everyday life, no searching archives or old shops, these were the soundtrack to our youth in the 70s.

Diamond Dogs, Life on Mars, Heroes....just incredible.

His legacy is enormous.

It's a word often used without thought, but today we really did lose a legend.

What an icon.

Anyone who lived through that period between 1969 and 1983 will remember the classic albums.

I decided a while back that the best thing about getting old is having heard things like Drive In Saturday and Jean Genie as NEW singles coming into the chart.

We were lucky enough to hear things like the latest Bowie releases just as part of everyday life, no searching archives or old shops, these were the soundtrack to our youth in the 70s.

Diamond Dogs, Life on Mars, Heroes....just incredible.

His legacy is enormous.

It's a word often used without thought, but today we really did lose a legend.

Indeed

Starman was among the first pop records ever to make an impact on me when I saw it on TOTP in '72. It seemed to come from another world. I didn't know you could have sounds, words, or clothes like that.

The same year saw records like Virginia Plain, and some of those classic T Rex singles crashing into our consciousness.

What a way to fall in love with pop music.

Bowie was simply the soundtrack to so many peoples lives.

Woke up this morning to a text from my daughter to say that he had passed so have now had a day to digest the news. Although I wasn't a big Bowie fan I did have a few of his early albums and his "greatest hits" was a permanent fixture in my CD player for some time. Heroes will always be in my top ten fav singles. I was lucky enough to see him at Glastonbury in 2000 and could see what all the fuss was about. The bloke was awesome. He is also clearly a proper legend. Having said that some of the reporting today has been bizarre and well over the top. Yes he is one of the most important artists we have produced in this country but I would argue he is far from the best. Yes, he continued to reinvent himself in many ways, a number of which you could argue though were just pretentious b*ll*cks. He wrote some great music (much in tandem with Mick Ronson) but he also produced some rubbish. Like many artists I got the impression that he was up his own bottom a bit. Nothing wrong with that of course but it can often lead to the taste and discernment filter being switched off at times. Just read an obit where it said that he co-wrote Young Americans with John Lennon. No he didn't. he co-wrote Fame with John Lennon. In the rush to show he was up there with the best it seems no one bothered to check their facts. Was he up there with the best? His fans will say a big yes and certainly he did produce some wonderful music. Whether his complete catalogue of work puts him into the Lennon-McCartney league is another matter. No doubt there will be a lot more interest in his other activities now such as his acting and art (maybe not his mime period though :?) and he certainly was a very intriguing character. As I say, I am not a great fan but it is a measure of his legacy that even for someone that has just dipped in and out of his career (and more out than in) I am feeling very sad at his passing. But whereas most of us will only live on in the memories of our loved ones, David Bowie will join those who will live forever through their art. How cool is that? RIP

Woke up this morning to a text from my daughter to say that he had passed so have now had a day to digest the news. Although I wasn't a big Bowie fan I did have a few of his early albums and his "greatest hits" was a permanent fixture in my CD player for some time. Heroes will always be in my top ten fav singles. I was lucky enough to see him at Glastonbury in 2000 and could see what all the fuss was about. The bloke was awesome. He is also clearly a proper legend. Having said that some of the reporting today has been bizarre and well over the top. Yes he is one of the most important artists we have produced in this country but I would argue he is far from the best. Yes, he continued to reinvent himself in many ways, a number of which you could argue though were just pretentious b*ll*cks. He wrote some great music (much in tandem with Mick Ronson) but he also produced some rubbish. Like many artists I got the impression that he was up his own bottom a bit. Nothing wrong with that of course but it can often lead to the taste and discernment filter being switched off at times. Just read an obit where it said that he co-wrote Young Americans with John Lennon. No he didn't. he co-wrote Fame with John Lennon. In the rush to show he was up there with the best it seems no one bothered to check their facts. Was he up there with the best? His fans will say a big yes and certainly he did produce some wonderful music. Whether his complete catalogue of work puts him into the Lennon-McCartney league is another matter. No doubt there will be a lot more interest in his other activities now such as his acting and art (maybe not his mime period though :?) and he certainly was a very intriguing character. As I say, I am not a great fan but it is a measure of his legacy that even for someone that has just dipped in and out of his career (and more out than in) I am feeling very sad at his passing. But whereas most of us will only live on in the memories of our loved ones, David Bowie will join those who will live forever through their art. How cool is that? RIP

You've called him a "legend" and "one of the most important artists we have produced", not sure it gets much better than that!

Legends are legends, to say he's "far from the best," suggests there is a "League of legends", maybe a Premiership, Championship and League 1 of legends.

No need to compare in my opinion :)

Agree with you on the media coverage, but that's how they are these days. Fed up of hearing which celebrity tweeted about him and all that. I'm avoiding it now, best way to remember him is through his music at home, discussing with friends, or reading on here about other people's memories.

I personally don't get the over-reaction. If your life is that empty that music can alter your direction then so be it. Yes he was a talent (more so than the clowns generated these days) but he didn't cure killer diseases or invent some life saving apparatus. A bit of perspective is required I think.

I personally don't get the over-reaction. If your life is that empty that music can alter your direction then so be it. Yes he was a talent (more so than the clowns generated these days) but he didn't cure killer diseases or invent some life saving apparatus. A bit of perspective is required I think.

Thanks for the insight Batman, have you thought about going into politics?

Guess we could say the same about football ;)

During my days at Solent University or SIHE as it was known previously, me and my roommate spent too many nights in having a few beers and listening to Bowie. Then he went on to appear in Twin Peaks which is my favourite TV show of all time. Doubly sad news. The word legend is overused, however Mr Bowie certainly was and the world is a wearier place without him.

I personally don't get the over-reaction. If your life is that empty that music can alter your direction then so be it.

I personally feel like a life without music powerful enough to move you, inspire you and change your direction, is pretty damn empty.

Long may we 'over-react' to soul-achingly beautiful music, from all the artists we are lucky enough to get it from. And specifically, today, the legend that is David Bowie.

R.I.P.

For some people like me, music is and has always been the most important hobby/pastime in their lives...I have always had a top of the range hifi at home and in the car....Love listening to live music...I had an enviable music collection of LPs (now given to charity) and I have built up a sizeable CD collection. Bowie was part of that pastime from 1969 onwards when I heard and bought the Space Oddity single....and onwards.

I will play Bowie's best of when I make my 2 hour drive to watch Saints tomorrow night....in my acoustically treated car...Bowie played LOUD in the car is a joy. It just so happens that I played Ziggy Stardust at home last week and the CD is still in the player and it might get a spin when I get back from my guitar and music lesson.

If you don't have music in your life.....err what kind of life is that? (not entirely serious question)

I personally feel like a life without music powerful enough to move you, inspire you and change your direction, is pretty damn empty.

Long may we 'over-react' to soul-achingly beautiful music, from all the artists we are lucky enough to get it from. And specifically, today, the legend that is David Bowie.

R.I.P.

Great post :D

this. His good songs were absolutely awesome, but his poor songs were truly horrific.
I first heard David Bowie when I was a kid and unfortunately, despite my brothers both being big fans, I could not forget the first song of his I heard. It is the first thing I think of, every time people claim he was a genius. He wasn't.

It is without doubt the worst record ever released and should be required listening for anyone that needs some balance to the gushing reviews of his body of work. Feel free to listen here.

You've called him a "legend" and "one of the most important artists we have produced", not sure it gets much better than that!

Legends are legends, to say he's "far from the best," suggests there is a "League of legends", maybe a Premiership, Championship and League 1 of legends.

No need to compare in my opinion :)

Agree with you on the media coverage, but that's how they are these days. Fed up of hearing which celebrity tweeted about him and all that. I'm avoiding it now, best way to remember him is through his music at home, discussing with friends, or reading on here about other people's memories.

What I was trying to say, albeit clumsily, was that although he wasn't to everyones taste he was clearly up there in terms of influence and was revered by many. Michael Jackson wasn't my thing. I didn't have any of his records, never went to any of his concerts etc but I do recognise that he is seen as a legend. One of the reports last night said that he wasn't to everyone's taste (who is?) but do you get my drift? My wife said last night that she liked some of his music but wasn't a big fan. She did however appreciate what all the fuss was about. When you look at his ranking in Rolling Stone he doesn't come out anywhere near the top. He wasn't the best singer, the best songwriter, the best actor, the best mime artist etc (in my opinion anyway) but clearly he was a big influence and was loved by millions. I am not a Stones fan but when Jagger and Richards depart they will be rightly feted as "legends." Whether a fan of his or not, I think most people realised that he has played a huge part in the fabric of pop culture over the last 50 odd years. Yes, it is probably wrong to compare legendary status unless you don't thing that someone is a legend. But I think that there will be many like me, not my favourite artist by a long way but I can recognise the affect he had on others.